Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #46-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 46, Number 14 Monday, 15 October 2001 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Iowa City TMBG: All The Songs T-shirt Re: TMBG: All The Songs T-shirt Re: TMBG: All The Songs T-shirt Re: TMBG: All The Songs T-shirt Re: TMBG: All The Songs T-shirt TMBG: Sauget Show last night(10/13) TMBG: Recent TMBG shows- reviews kinda TMBG: hi there Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG shows- reviews kinda Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG shows- reviews kinda Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 02:10:43 -0500 (CDT) From: Subject: Re: TMBG: Iowa City Message-ID: I'd agree; the U of Iowa show was excellent. Muckafergason was a great opening act and the Giants put on a rocking show. They seemed to be particularly energetic and in a good mood. The only complaint I'd have is that the room where the concert was held was basically a big concrete box, and while I could hear the instruments just fine, sometimes the singing or the between song talking was muddled and unintelligable. Other than that, it was great. -- Thomas L. Kula | tkula@io.com | http://www.madscientistresearch.net Malthom House upon the Canw, The People's Republic of Ames ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001301c154e0$71383100$08d6fea9@spaceghost> From: "Kerry Smith" Subject: TMBG: All The Songs T-shirt Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 14:45:48 -0400 Where can the new T-shirt be found? I keep checking tmbg.com and theymightbegiants.com to see if they have been updated, but no new t-shirts. Has anyone actually seen the shirt? Is it real? :) The following has been on theymightbegiants.com for a while: Brand new t-shirts. Get 'em now! We have a great new, secured superstore and a lot of new designs. Featured new items include the "All The Songs" shirt, which has over 300 titles of tracks TMBG have commited to tape. Of course this is already out of date, and we forgot a few anyway, but it still makes a very interesting conveersation piece. "I want to go to the new t-shirts" link ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <13.1f4042.28fb3853@aol.com> Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 14:49:55 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: All The Songs T-shirt In a message dated 10/14/2001 2:47:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tmbg@nc.rr.com writes: > Where can the new T-shirt be found? I keep checking tmbg.com and > theymightbegiants.com to see if they have been updated, but no new t-shirts. > Has anyone actually seen the shirt? The new shirts (the song titles shirt and Mink Car shirt) are currently being sold at shows. They're not available through the website yet...TMBGDot's waiting for the pictures to be posted on the website. Hopefully it'll be available soon :) Kay [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (multipart/alternative)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200110142020.f9EKK3N63792@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 15:20:50 -0500 From: John David Crafton Subject: Re: TMBG: All The Songs T-shirt 10/14/2001 2:54:05 PM, Alterian@aol.com wrote: > > > > Do you know what size the shirts are? Or are they going to be the usual > all sizes are XL? > ::sigh:: Don't people realize that some of us aren't that big! > > -Amber the Transcendet or the inverse, that some of us are bigger than that -- John David Crafton _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <104.aacefaf.28fb5697@aol.com> Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 16:59:03 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: All The Songs T-shirt Yes, they have adult small (a real small, not a kids' L this time), medium and XL. Joy!! Kay [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] I went. Oh yeah. in my orange bandana and love show t shirt, i am really really tired. but i had fun. Laura the one who might write more about it later, if I have more than two minutes) __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Make a great connection at Yahoo! Personals. http://personals.yahoo.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun Oct 14 19:51:58 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f9ENpwO69723 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:51:58 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from m24.boston.juno.com (m24.boston.juno.com [64.136.24.87]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f9ENpwN69714 for ; Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:51:58 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from tomacquisto@juno.com) Received: from cookie.juno.com by cookie.juno.com for <"L42Vk/ZHuHDjQezBKUa0CqRukuy+vGaPtCR6MDZQGZ/4AymnPv0JLQ=="> Received: (from tomacquisto@juno.com) by m24.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id GHRG4GJ4; Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:51:29 EDT To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 18:58:04 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Recent TMBG shows- reviews kinda Message-ID: <20011014.185804.-962413.0.TOMACQUISTO@juno.com> X-Mailer: Juno 4.0.11 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 9-10,21,39,45-46 X-Juno-Att: 0 X-Juno-RefParts: 0 From: TOM J ACQUISTO Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: TOM J ACQUISTO So TMBG played at the Blue Note in Columbia, MO last Friday. All around good show. Some differences in the the set from the shows before it were the inclusion of Ana Ng. They aparently stopped playing I Palindrome I. They did spin the dial and ended up playing along to some country song. Flansy included the line in the song "and if you don't like country music than fuck you." They had a t.v. on stage before the show playing Direct From Brooklyn and Flansburgh said something about how it's going to sell out really soon and you can probably get double what you paid for it on ebay in a couple weeks. Muckafurgasen, the opening band, was great to my surprise. They were incredibly clever. Alright the next night at Pop's in Sauget, IL was wicked excellent and the set was very different from the night before. They did Robot Parade(the adult version) I believe for the first time ever. Dan Miller started playing the opening chords and Flansburgh turned to him and said "We can't do this, we're not ready to play this yet" and started telling Dan that "that's fine during rehersal, but we're not rehersing now." Then he said something like here's a more mellow version of that song and the crowd started booing. Then Linnell started whispering something to Flansburgh and they ended up playing it. and it Rocked Hard. It was their best song of the night and really got the band going for the rest of the show. They ended up playing Pet Name after Man, It's So Loud in Here while the lights were still out. Flans said, "You know we meant for the lights to be out that whole time." Linnell said "I like playing that song with the lights out because you can't see me looing at my hands the whole time. That's my personal reason for liking that song with the lights out." They also did Letterbox and Spiralling Shape, at the expense of not playing Ana Ng and She's an Angel, which I didn't really mind since they played them the night before. That was the most I've seen Linnell get into a show in a long time, he was cracking jokes and jumping around alot. The club they played at was a heavy metal club close to both Cahokia Mounds and East St. Louis. At one point in the show Linnell said "A friend of mine was telling me that Cahokia was originally one of the largest cities in North America and when I was talking to sombody here they were like yeah it's over by the big mound. Just make a left at the big mound and then the 7-11's right over there, the big mound. This next song is kind of a mound." and then they played fingertips. Linnell also kept saying "Sauget" at the begining of the show in his overcaffinated voice. One more funny quote Flans said was " How many people her tonight think their car might get stolen, and how many people here know their car will get stolen." For those of you who don't know East St. Louis is notorious for having a really dangerously high crime rate. Overall it was a great show and was a reminder that they can still be really spontaneous on stage. nick From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun Oct 14 20:35:40 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f9F0Zeh70860 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 14 Oct 2001 20:35:40 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f246.law12.hotmail.com [64.4.19.246]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f9F0ZeN70852 for ; Sun, 14 Oct 2001 20:35:40 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from kinnsey3@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Sun, 14 Oct 2001 17:35:34 -0700 Received: from 204.184.51.245 by lw12fd.law12.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Mon, 15 Oct 2001 00:35:34 GMT X-Originating-IP: [204.184.51.245] From: "Shannon Schipper" To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: hi there Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 19:35:34 -0500 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 15 Oct 2001 00:35:34.0830 (UTC) FILETIME=[4DA134E0:01C15511] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Shannon Schipper" well hello. i'm new to the list, although i was on it quite a few years back. i've been a fan for a good ten years, since the lovely age of nine. i was at the Sauget show last night. i tried to go to the show in Columbia, but They sold out, and i cried. but i got to go to the Sauget show, which had to be the single best show i have ever been to. They rocked SO HARD last night. it was amazing. i was a good three feet away from Flansburgh at one point. it was beautiful. Linnell was really into the show, which i've never seen. he's always so cute and quiet...and i swear he kept looking directly at me and we fell in love. pipe dreaming? yeh. but the show was great, very full of energy. i brought my heavy-metal loving friend with me, and he had a blast. he fell in love with dan's guitar playing. and Muckafurgason was amazing. i very rarely love the opening band, but they were hilarious. i bought some merchandise from them after the show, and the guy (not the accented one or the really tall one with facial hair like a bladder, the other one)poked me in the eye and called me sassy. it was a lot of fun! just thought i'd introduce myself and talk about the show! shannon this melancholy that i carry makes me feel so grown up at the kitchen table doing shots of resignation i never thought i'd see the day when i would say i give up _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun Oct 14 23:40:01 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f9F3e1U76073 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 14 Oct 2001 23:40:01 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f226.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.226]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f9F3e0N76062 for ; Sun, 14 Oct 2001 23:40:00 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Sun, 14 Oct 2001 20:39:55 -0700 Received: from 63.38.129.121 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Mon, 15 Oct 2001 03:39:54 GMT X-Originating-IP: [63.38.129.121] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG shows- reviews kinda Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 03:39:54 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 15 Oct 2001 03:39:55.0044 (UTC) FILETIME=[0E07EE40:01C1552B] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Nick: >Alright the next night at Pop's in Sauget, IL was wicked excellent and >the set was very different from the night before. They did Robot >Parade(the adult version) I believe for the first time ever. Dan Miller >started playing the opening chords and Flansburgh turned to him and said >"We can't do this, we're not ready to play this yet" and started telling >Dan that "that's fine during rehersal, but we're not rehersing now." >Then he said something like here's a more mellow version of that song and >the crowd started booing. Then Linnell started whispering something to >Flansburgh and they ended up playing it. They've played it that way at other shows. I've never been to any of those shows, so I can't tell you how it sounded, but I imagine it would have been fun. I think the slow version really works well live, though, so I don't see why people would boo it. Audiences in general seem to applaud just about everything. Are you sure it wasn't just you and your friends booing, and you took that to mean the whole crowd was doing it? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Oct 15 00:44:47 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f9F4ilG77841 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 15 Oct 2001 00:44:47 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from mplspop6.mpls.uswest.net (pop.mpls.uswest.net [204.147.80.9]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with SMTP id f9F4ilN77833 for ; Mon, 15 Oct 2001 00:44:47 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from mohan1@uswest.net) Received: (qmail 1322 invoked from network); 15 Oct 2001 04:44:46 -0000 Received: from mplsdslgw22poolb147.mpls.uswest.net (HELO uswest.net) (63.231.147.147) by mplspop6.mpls.uswest.net with SMTP; 15 Oct 2001 04:44:46 -0000 Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 23:43:45 -0500 Message-ID: <3BCA6981.B732F628@uswest.net> From: "James & Kimberly Mohan" To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.61 [en]C-CCK-MCD (Win95; U) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 Subject: Re: TMBG: Recent TMBG shows- reviews kinda References: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "James & Kimberly Mohan" In defense, I say the slow version is great, in its own right. Both version are great. I saw TMBG last Wednesday @ First Ave in Mpls. They did the slow version, which I personally think rocks. And, while they're the more popular TMBG songs, I could do without hearing 'Instanbul...' & 'Particle Man' live. It was great when they played tracks off the first 2 albums. I would have liked to hear 'Dead' or 'Kiss Me, Son of God', some of the 'obscure' tracks. They did the 'Spin the Dial'-thingy, only to find out that the Twin Cities doesn't have any decent radio stations. (The only good one is 770AM, Radio K.) I equate it to those who mention 'Holy Grail' as the best Monty Python movie. On another note, Muckafurgason was great! Picked up their latest, which was produced by Flansy. Must go. It's late. "WttJ' Jim Mohan TMBG Amb to MN Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Nick: > >Alright the next night at Pop's in Sauget, IL was wicked excellent and > >the set was very different from the night before. They did Robot > >Parade(the adult version) I believe for the first time ever. Dan Miller > >started playing the opening chords and Flansburgh turned to him and said > >"We can't do this, we're not ready to play this yet" and started telling > >Dan that "that's fine during rehersal, but we're not rehersing now." > >Then he said something like here's a more mellow version of that song and > >the crowd started booing. Then Linnell started whispering something to > >Flansburgh and they ended up playing it. > > They've played it that way at other shows. I've never been to any of those > shows, so I can't tell you how it sounded, but I imagine it would have been > fun. I think the slow version really works well live, though, so I don't > see why people would boo it. Audiences in general seem to applaud just > about everything. Are you sure it wasn't just you and your friends booing, > and you took that to mean the whole crowd was doing it? > -- > May the light shine upon thee, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #46-14 ******************************