Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #46-2 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 46, Number 2 Tuesday, 2 October 2001 Today's Topics: TMBG: Mink Car Reviewed complete with a bloated intro and closing statements TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man RE: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man Re: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man Re: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man TMBG: Re: Mink Car autograph stamp Re: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man Re: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man Re: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man Re: TMBG: My Mink Car review... Re: TMBG: My Mink Car review... Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car autograph stamp Re: TMBG: A new review Re: TMBG: Mink Car Reviewed complete with a bloated intro and closing Re: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man TMBG: Signed Mink Car TMBG: No! / Holidayland... TMBG: chopping block RE: TMBG: chopping block Re: TMBG: chopping block RE: TMBG: chopping block Re: TMBG: chopping block TMBG: Holidayland Cover Art and Track List at cduniverse.com! TMBG: signed CD humor Re: TMBG: Boss Of Me Re: TMBG: No! / Holidayland... Re: TMBG: Holidayland Cover Art and Track List at cduniverse.com! Re: TMBG: Holidayland Cover Art and Track List at cduniverse.com! Re: TMBG: signed CD humor RE: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man Re: TMBG: No! / Holidayland... TMBG: School kids singing Particle Man... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: Mink Car Reviewed complete with a bloated intro and closing statements... Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 03:13:34 -0400 Message-ID: I, like some of you, wanted to wait to get the full effect of hearing Mink Car on CD before finalizing my review. Though I have not done that due to still not having my signed version, I have taken advantage of the time to get use to a few of the songs before I judged them. I note the importance of this, IMHO, in my views of John Henry when it was first released. I thought at first that JH was the beginning of the end for the Johns. Now with many happy years of listening, I have just as many favorites from JH as I do from all the others. Quite a switch from my "first impressions". Also to touch on the issue raised by some, I don't personally think it's a bad thing to hear songs in early forms before they appear on CD. I'll note that I'm a TMBG Unlimited subscriber so I did know practically all these songs beforehand in one form or the other. I have always been interested in hearing demo and live versions of songs before they appear on CD, and I don't view this as a bad thing. This has been the case for me since taping Turn Around, My Evil Twin, Cabbage Town, and Free Bird (which musically translated into I Blame You) off the dial-a-song service long before Apollo 18 came out. Then again some of my opinions of the songs below directly relate to earlier versions, so maybe I'm just full of it... Enough rambling and on with the review... Opening Statements - I was fairly happy with the lineup I saw when it was first announced. It was not as many songs as the long-time fans are use to seeing on a TMBG offering, but still much better than Factory Showroom (13 tracks, 14 if you got the CD) or Long Tall Weekend (15 tracks). What I was very unhappy with was the lack of songs such as Four of Two, John Lee Supertaster, and Boss of Me. Yes I know all our international fans get "Boss" as a bonus track, but that doesn't help me, grrr. I also didn't care for the choice of "which" songs to carry over from Long Tall Weekend and the Working Undercover For The Man EP. If they were going to carry any over, which I don't feel they should of, why not some of the masterpieces like Rat Patrol, On the Drag, Rest A While, or Reprehensible, instead of songs (Older and Edith Head) that most of us have heard enough of, though I'm sure some would disagree which is why I think they should have just left them all alone. One more thing before I start, keep in mind that even a bad review for a song must be taken in to context. The John's produce songs that are on such a higher level of greatness than most any other band, that even a bad TMBG song, is a pretty darn good song... Bangs - *** - Very standard TMBG which is good. Very flat in execution which was bad. I really liked the demo that was released on Unlimited, expected it be more than a cleaner version of the demo. High hopes, a bit disappointed... Cyclops Rock - *** - The final version of this song is a definite move towards greatness. Some of the live versions as well as the studio MP3 just felt a bit unfinished to me. It's a fun song. No complex lyrics, just a good rocker. Man, It's So Loud In Here - **** - I'm sorry, but I love this song! What's wrong with a Petshop Boys wannabe sounding song anyway? :) ..er, as long as it's the only one... But seriously, it would be a good choice as a single, because it seems like an easy to like song. As long as the Johns can make some money, they'll keep doing what they love and saps like us will stay happy listening to it. I was actually still trying to decide how much I liked this song when they played it on Conan O. That sealed it for me. Besides, my wife likes it so I get to play the album more often in the car... :) Mr. Excitement - *** - Great mindless stuff! I get weirded out every time They have someone else do the singing (or rapping?), but hey it's a fun song to listen to. The end... Another First Kiss - **** - I thought the live version of this song on Severe Tire Damage was "OK" at best. This version I like a lot. If this is considered a "sappy love song" by some, they obviously aren't subjected to the truly repulsive dross out there much. Good for you! :) But sorry, this song is great... I've Got A Fang - ***1/2 - Straight from the soul of John Henry from my view. A great little ditty with classic TMBG style lyrics. Love the tempo shifts too... Hovering Sombrero - ****1/2 - Personally, I think this one of the best songs on the album. Why, because it's classic TMBG all the way. This song would have it on any of their early albums, and is a welcome break in the middle of all the newer style songs. Yeh Yeh - **** - I didn't know this was a cover when I first downloaded it from the June Unlimited selection. I liked it immediately. It had a groovy little swing to it that was great to wiggle to. Then (2 days later) I heard for the first and ONLY time in my life, the original playing on the radio in a Denny's. Weird. Then I heard the TMBG version on a car commercial a few days ago. Double weird but cool... Hopeless Bleak Despair - *** - My first review of this song was rather scathing. Now that I've listened to it more, I don't know what my problem was. This is a fun song! The lyrics aren't "fun" in meaning, but Linnell does his magic on the subject matter and *poof* Hopeless Bleak Despair... Drink! - ***1/2 - Much like Hovering Sombrero, this is classic TMBG all the way. The former classic Linnell, this one classic Flansy. I'd have to agree a little with the person who compared it to something you'd hear form the Pouges, but probably just because it's got the "sound" of a bar song... My Man - **1/2 - This was the hardest song for me to rate. I really honestly don't have much of an opinion of this song yet, so I left it in the midrange rating. Maybe it will form more of an impression soon... Older - *** - I absolutely loved this song when it was first out there in .wav format back in the day. I liked it as the roughly 7 or 8 versions were slowly released to the internet. I am tired of this song, only because it took WAY too long in way too many forms to make it to CD. As I noted in the intro, it should have been shelved after Long Tall Weekend.. Mink Car - *** - I actually really like Burt B, which is what this song has been compared to by quite a few. (really dig Burt's work with Elvis C) I like this song a lot. It's another great shift in style and speed without being as jolting as, oh let's say Unrelated Thing? :) Wicked Little Critta - ****1/2 - This is my favorite song on the album, for now at least. I can't even explain it. The first time I heard it, I skipped it after the first 15 seconds or so thinking to myself, "now there's a song that should have never made it past a dial-a-song reel. It wasn't until later when I accidentally didn't skip it that I started to appreciate it. The rest is history... Finished With Lies - *** - I like this song. er, I guess I should say more... um, I liked the slower version better much like the slow vs faster versions of They Got Lost. I like to complain... :( She Thinks She's Edith Head - ** - Never thought this was a strong song on Long Tall Weekend, would have never guessed in a million years that it would be picked to carry over to this CD... Working Under Cover For The Man - ***1/2 - I really like this song a lot. Very classy. An instantly likable song. I only wish they had changed it up a bit from the EP version... Closing comments - I do like the chaos that is Mink Car. It's sporadic, uncoordinated, and off-balance. That said, I still like it. I can safely say it's not my favorite TMBG album, but like all the others, it's got some real gems on it that will forever be played on music mixes in my collection. I want to go to sleep now, or I'd try to come up with some witty things to say in closing. sorry... PS: Is anyone else geeked about the new Star Trek series "Enterprise" or the return of Transformers toys that actually turn in to vehicles again? Augie "98% pure geek" Wan -------------------- No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 03:15:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <200110010715.f917F0O94590@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.20011001171829.007dfe40@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 17:18:29 +1000 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man >Yes I know all our international fans get >"Boss" as a bonus track, but that doesn't help me, grrr. Just to let those of you who don't already have Mink Car (or expect it in the mail soon), and who would like the version with "Boss Of Me" on it, you could buy it from an Australian online store. Particularly as US$1 is currently worth A$2, it should be cheap for you, and even with postage to the US the price should be comparable with the Boss-free version in your local store. I haven't used the services at, for example, www.whammo.com.au but it's probably worth investigating. A British online store such as www.amazon.co.uk will sell you much the same thing, although I don't know what the exchange rates are. By the way, it seems everyone is pretty lukewarm toward "My Man". Am I alone in finding it the most exciting thing on Mink Car? - Ryan ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: Amy Greenlese Subject: RE: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 08:18:10 -0400 -----Original Message----- From: Ryan Mooney > By the way, it seems everyone is pretty lukewarm toward "My Man". Am I > alone in finding it the most exciting thing on Mink Car? Well I have to tell you, I wasn't too excited about it at first. Just another song, rather catchy but weird that he's singing about "My Man" Then I read what the song is REALLY about on www.theymightbegiants.com and suddenly I find the song fascinating, in a morbid sort of way. Oh, and thanks for the tip on exchange rates, I didn't realize they were quite so good (well, good in the sense that I'm in the US) right now. Amy :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 13:51:35 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man Can I also mention I have a few copies of the UK single 'Boss of Me' left that I am happy to sell at cost plus postage. If anyone is interested emal me privately and I will forward you details. Thanks Richard >>> Ryan Mooney 01/10/01 08:18:29 >>> >Yes I know all our international fans get >"Boss" as a bonus track, but that doesn't help me, grrr. Just to let those of you who don't already have Mink Car (or expect it in the mail soon), and who would like the version with "Boss Of Me" on it, you could buy it from an Australian online store. Particularly as US$1 is currently worth A$2, it should be cheap for you, and even with postage to the US the price should be comparable with the Boss-free version in your local store. I haven't used the services at, for example, www.whammo.com.au but it's probably worth investigating. A British online store such as www.amazon.co.uk will sell you much the same thing, although I don't know what the exchange rates are. By the way, it seems everyone is pretty lukewarm toward "My Man". Am I alone in finding it the most exciting thing on Mink Car? - Ryan _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning Service. _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning Service. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 09:40:12 EDT From: Furfr@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man Message-ID: <143.25e3871.28e9cc41@aol.com> >>By the way, it seems everyone is pretty lukewarm toward "My Man". Am I alone in finding it the most exciting thing on Mink Car? I'm glad someone else feels that way! I thought I must be insane. Not sure where it would rank if i'd never heard any of the songs before (if I'd never heard hovering sombrero, i'd be pretty thrilled about that one), but My Man just makes me happy...in that Spiraling Shape/Certain People sort of way. :) ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 07:07:20 -0700 From: "Pzickler" Subject: TMBG: Re: Mink Car autograph stamp Did anybody else get a cool little TMBG ink stamp next to the autographs? With the outlines of the two Johns? It soooo rocks. Yay! PZ ------------------------------ From: BethJE@aol.com Message-ID: <114.55546d6.28e9d371@aol.com> Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 10:10:57 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man > >>By the way, it seems everyone is pretty lukewarm toward "My Man". Am I > alone in finding it the most exciting thing on Mink Car? > > I'm glad someone else feels that way! I thought I must be insane. Not sure > where it would rank if i'd never heard any of the songs before (if I'd never > heard hovering sombrero, i'd be pretty thrilled about that one), but My Man > just makes me happy...in that Spiraling Shape/Certain People sort of way. :) Hmmm... songs like Spiraling Shape, Certain People, Don't Let's Start, and Hopeless Bleak Despair make me really happy, but My Man actually depresses the hell out of me. If I hadn't read the song description, I doubt I'd've realized that the song is about a paralyzed guy. Now that I know it, I think about how I'm more scared of becoming paralyzed than dying, and it just makes me sad and stuff. On the other hand, the guy dies in Hopeless Bleak Despair, and that song makes me feel stronger and unafraid, so maybe I'm just crazy. :) Beth ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 08:21:20 -0600 From: Chris Nuccitelli Subject: Re: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man Message-id: <3BB87BE0.AA097C83@campuspipeline.com> Or just hop on over to www.amazon.co.uk and buy the Boss of Me single. You also get Reprehensible and a slightly different version of Mr. Xcitement for your trouble.... Ryan Mooney wrote: > > >Yes I know all our international fans get > >"Boss" as a bonus track, but that doesn't help me, grrr. > > Just to let those of you who don't already have Mink Car (or expect it in > the mail soon), and who would like the version with "Boss Of Me" on it, you > could buy it from an Australian online store. Particularly as US$1 is > currently worth A$2, it should be cheap for you, and even with postage to > the US the price should be comparable with the Boss-free version in your > local store. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 16:46:37 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man This is (probably?) the UK single I posted about. Richard >>> Chris Nuccitelli 01/10/01 15:21:20 >>> Or just hop on over to www.amazon.co.uk and buy the Boss of Me single. You also get Reprehensible and a slightly different version of Mr. Xcitement for your trouble.... Ryan Mooney wrote: > > >Yes I know all our international fans get > >"Boss" as a bonus track, but that doesn't help me, grrr. > > Just to let those of you who don't already have Mink Car (or expect it in > the mail soon), and who would like the version with "Boss Of Me" on it, you > could buy it from an Australian online store. Particularly as US$1 is > currently worth A$2, it should be cheap for you, and even with postage to > the US the price should be comparable with the Boss-free version in your > local store. _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning Service. _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning Service. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <2449156.1001951509137.JavaMail.root@172.16.100.50> Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 16:51:49 +0100 (BST) From: frickidyfrickfrick@frickin.co.uk Subject: Re: TMBG: My Mink Car review... It will?! And here I was buying the damn american one for twice the price! *smacks head repeatedly* Damn Damn Damn! Oh well, I'll just stick it on another CD :) -----Original Message----- From : Kaylum@aol.com To : tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date : 30 September 2001 20:53:21 Subject : Re: TMBG: My Mink Car review... In a message dated 9/30/2001 2:05:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, >frickidyfrickfrick@frickin.co.uk writes: > > >> First of all, I was kinda hoping Boss of Me and I'm the subsitute now (dunno >> why I thought that, but there you go) would be on, but oh well. >> > >Boss of Me will be on the British version whenever it is released there, I >do believe. > >Kay > ---------- Get a free, personalised email address at http://another.com TXT ALRT! Stop wasting money now. Send FREE, personalised txt msgs to UK mobile phones from http://another.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: My Mink Car review... Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 16:35:02 +0000 Message-ID: Frickidyfrickfrick (if that IS his real name): >First of all, I was kinda hoping Boss of Me Well, if you had only WAITED for the British version... >and I'm the subsitute now (dunno why I thought that, but there you go) Well, back when it was a freebie on eMusic, it was called "Unreliable Narrator (I'm The Substitute Now)." The working title for the album was "Unreliable Narrator." So, if "Unreliable Narrator" had actually been the title of the song and the album, it might have been on there. The album didn't get that name, however, and many people think the song's designation was a mistake, so... >Bangs ~ Very Factory Showroom-esque, and bares most resemblance to earlier >TMBG. Well, musically, perhaps. The lyrics are kind of atypical. >(maybe that just stems from the fact I never listened to it on STD anyway >when I first got into the band, I was always putting Ana Ng back on :-)) I don't think the version of "Ana Ng" that appears on Severe Tire Damage really does that song justice at all. Of course, if you didn't have Lincoln yet, I guess a weak "Ana Ng" is better than no "Ana Ng." -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Message-ID: <018001c14a97$6c7f8c60$3a1410ac@avesta.com> From: "Bryce" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Car autograph stamp Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:37:25 -0400 Pzickler : > Did anybody else get a cool little TMBG ink stamp > next to the autographs? With the outlines of the > two Johns? It soooo rocks. Yay! I did not. Please: 1. Scan 2. Post :) Bryce Everyone wants to see that groovy thing. ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: A new review Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 16:53:56 +0000 Message-ID: John Ferrer: >"Man, It's So Loud In Here" > >I loved it at first, but once the novelty of the dance music wears off, >it's >just kinda there. I agree with it being the first single, and I'm not >saying >it's not a freaking amazing song, but I have actually skipped it once or >twice because it's so long. Hmm...I've never really thought of this one as being especially long, although I guess it does have a running time of about four minutes, which is definitely long for a TMBG song. How long a song feels doesn't always depend on how long it actually is, though. For instance, the "I walk along darkened corridors" Fingertip sometimes seems to take forever. MISLIH doesn't generally feel that long to me. >"Mr. Xcitement" > >It was really interesting to see people's reactions to this one. It seems >like everyone who doesn't really like the album mentions that this and >Critta are the worst songs on it. Yet I don't really like the album and >those are my two favorites. No change on this song, except that it's >obviously not as fascinating once you know what's he's saying. Stuck in my >head constantly. That doesn't always mean a song is good, though. >"Another First Kiss" > >Another one I'm weird on. The few people that like Xcitement and Critta >also >like this one. Kind of odd, considering that this is the opposite of those two songs in some ways. Xcitement and Critta are upbeat and goofy, while this is slow and relatively serious. I think the connection is that the people who like those songs are often the people who are willing to give anything TMBG a chance. Pickier fans tend to be most likely to dislike the songs that are atypical for TMBG, which would include this and Xcitement (not Critta so much, but that probably wouldn't have made it past Dial-A-Song if it had been written in the earlier years). >"I've Got A Fang" > >When I first heard the Unlimited version, I thought it was the stupidest >song ever. I really don't know what I was thinking. Well, I think the music has definitely been improved over time. Personally, I often tend to listen to lyrics first, and, while Fang's lyrics aren't BAD, they're very simple and silly. I think you have to listen to the whole package to get the full effect of this. The music and lyrics might not be much individually, but they complement each other well. >"Yeh Yeh" > >There's no way you can help being a little rocked by this song, just >because >of its sheer speed and cheerfulness, but that doesn't mean I like it. It's >just too silly. Another one I wouldn't want a non-fan to hear, because it >perpetuates the myth that they're some kind of Weird Al wannabes. I don't see how anyone would get that impression from this song. There really isn't anything comical about it. Now, if they had played it as a polka, that would have been a different matter altogether, but that's beside the point. I don't think this is anywhere near as silly as Xcitement, Fang, or Critta, to name just three examples. >Usually, >their pointless songs make up for the lack in lyrical content with the >music. And how is "Yeh Yeh" any more pointless than any other TMBG song? I don't think TMBG songs usually have much "point" aside from providing entertainment, and "Yeh Yeh" definitely does that for me, and apparently for you as well, since you said you couldn't help being rocked by it. >This song has nothing. It sounds just like the original, and it's >stupid. Well, I've never heard the original, so I can't tell you what I'd think if I had. It's a great song, though, even if that greatness is due more to Georgie Fame than to John Flansburgh. >"Hopeless Bleak Despair" > >Christ, this song has confused me. In my first review, I completely >butchered it. Now I just have no opinion. This one definitely grew on me. Maybe it's one of those songs you just have to listen to several times to "get it." >The more I think about it, the >more my thoughts on it will become LIES! And nobody likes a LIAR! We'll never believe you now. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car Reviewed complete with a bloated intro and closing Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 17:06:50 +0000 Message-ID: AugieWan: >What I was >very unhappy with was the lack of songs such as Four of Two, John Lee >Supertaster, and Boss of Me. Well, the first two of those will be on "No!", if it's ever actually released. If they had put them on here, people buying "No!" would complain that they already had those songs. >I also didn't care for the choice of "which" songs to carry over from Long >Tall Weekend and the Working Undercover For The Man EP. If they were going >to carry any over, which I don't feel they should of, why not some of the >masterpieces like Rat Patrol, On the Drag, Rest A While, or Reprehensible, >instead of songs (Older and Edith Head) that most of us have heard enough >of, though I'm sure some would disagree which is why I think they should >have just left them all alone. I agree with you, actually. "Older" and "She Thinks She's Edith Head" weren't exactly the best songs on LTW, and the former was already an old song by the time that MP3-only album was released. I don't really think they should have had any retreads of LTW tracks on here, but they could have made some better choices if they had. While "Reprehensible" is my favorite LTW track, there wasn't much else they could have done with it (it's basically perfect as it is), and they probably wanted to include songs they could rework. As such, I think "Rat Patrol" and "On The Drag" might have been good choices, since they're both songs that had been performed in several different ways before being released in the first place. >She Thinks She's Edith Head - ** - Never thought this was a strong song on >Long Tall Weekend, would have never guessed in a million years that it >would >be picked to carry over to this CD... Well, it WAS hinted at in the Info Club newsletters of the time, and confirmed in an online chat at the time of LTW. I guess you missed those things. I agree that it probably shouldn't have been, though. If they had really wanted to put it on their next "real" album, why even put it on LTW in the first place? Same deal with "Older," as well as "Token Back To Brooklyn" (although that one worked in reverse order). -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 17:08:48 +0000 Message-ID: Ryan Mooney: > >Yes I know all our international fans get > >"Boss" as a bonus track, but that doesn't help me, grrr. > >Just to let those of you who don't already have Mink Car (or expect it in >the mail soon), and who would like the version with "Boss Of Me" on it, you >could buy it from an Australian online store. Can anyone confirm that this version of "Boss Of Me" is the same one that was on the British commercial single? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nicholas Wolf" Subject: TMBG: Signed Mink Car Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 12:22:53 -0600 Message-ID: Ok... I just got mine in the mail today (along with the 3" TNAC single - what a glorious day!), and mine's signed as follows: Top-right corner: John Sid Bottom-right corner: Something that looks like "Jlw F." So there it is. :) Signed, Nicholas Wolf TMBG Ambassador to the State of New Mexico ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: No! / Holidayland... Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 16:52:13 -0400 Message-ID: I my review of Mink Car I had mentioned that I was disappointed that a few tracks such as 4 of 2 and John Lee didn't make it. Nathan replied that they are to be on No! So is there an official list somewhere for the upcoming tracks on NO!? I (for some odd reason) haven't got a fanclub newsletter for over a year, so I'm probably a bit out of the loop on some of this stuff, and I was off this list for a while until the server crashed a month or so ago. I would assume tracks such as Fibber Island, Shooting Star, Robot Parade, Clap Your Hands, Sleepwalkers, In the Middle, Wake Up Call?, No!, Clown Town, Monsters of Mud, Violin, and Lazyhead and Sleepybones would be there. One other tidbit, are we ABSOLUTELY sure they're still calling it NO!? At Amazon.com, they are now preordering a TMBG album called Holidayland set to be released on Nov 6. Is this in fact the kids album? I can't think of any other explanation. Also, if this has been discussed already, just throw something at me and tell me to shut up... :) Augie "feeling a bit lost" Wan ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 17:12:19 -0400 Subject: TMBG: chopping block From: elias Message-ID: hey all-- many of you are familiar with the chopping block, the design firm that created tmbg's website, as well as the art for mink car and many other tmbg related things. well, they were awarded recognition -twice- (once for tmbg.com and once for their own site) in this year's communication arts interactive design annual (http://www.commarts.com/CA/interactive/cai01/ under entertainment and self promotion). on the page for the win for tmbg, there is a sidebar with a quote from one of the folks at chopping block which says many interesting things (tmbg played at one of their parties!! note to any/all chopping block executive staff members on the list-- are you hiring?) among which was this: "We not only redesigned their site, but created posters, T-shirts, print ads and an interactive cd-rom." now, my question is: "an interactive cd-rom"? does anyone know anything about this? be sure to check out the tmbg entry (http://www.commarts.com/ca/interactive/cai01/34_ia01.html) for some judges' comments, a summary ("monty pythonesque-site") and the full text of the chopping block lady's comments. -e. ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: RE: TMBG: chopping block Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 17:33:41 -0400 Message-ID: The interactive CDRom is for the kid's album, that I do remember seeing in an interview... :) Augie "actually knew something!" Wan -------------------- No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats. -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of elias Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 5:12 PM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: chopping block hey all-- many of you are familiar with the chopping block, the design firm that created tmbg's website, as well as the art for mink car and many other tmbg related things. well, they were awarded recognition -twice- (once for tmbg.com and once for their own site) in this year's communication arts interactive design annual (http://www.commarts.com/CA/interactive/cai01/ under entertainment and self promotion). on the page for the win for tmbg, there is a sidebar with a quote from one of the folks at chopping block which says many interesting things (tmbg played at one of their parties!! note to any/all chopping block executive staff members on the list-- are you hiring?) among which was this: "We not only redesigned their site, but created posters, T-shirts, print ads and an interactive cd-rom." now, my question is: "an interactive cd-rom"? does anyone know anything about this? be sure to check out the tmbg entry (http://www.commarts.com/ca/interactive/cai01/34_ia01.html) for some judges' comments, a summary ("monty pythonesque-site") and the full text of the chopping block lady's comments. -e. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 17:23:57 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: chopping block From: elias Message-ID: > The interactive CDRom is for the kid's album, that I do remember seeing in > an interview... :) > > Augie "actually knew something!" Wan wow -- quick response... do you (or anyone else) remember if it was a separate (perhaps promotional) thing produced for the album and already out there, or that the album will be an "enhanced" cd, including the interactive bit when/if it gets released? -e. ------------------------------ From: "AugieWan" Subject: RE: TMBG: chopping block Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 17:48:04 -0400 Message-ID: >From what I remember reading, the were making enhanced CD. It's to include Flash based "videos" for each of the songs on the CD. Augie "now digging to find the interview" Wan -------------------- No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats. -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of elias Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 5:24 PM To: Them People Subject: Re: TMBG: chopping block > The interactive CDRom is for the kid's album, that I do remember seeing in > an interview... :) > > Augie "actually knew something!" Wan wow -- quick response... do you (or anyone else) remember if it was a separate (perhaps promotional) thing produced for the album and already out there, or that the album will be an "enhanced" cd, including the interactive bit when/if it gets released? -e. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 15:43:04 -0600 From: Chris Nuccitelli Subject: Re: TMBG: chopping block Message-id: <3BB8E368.797AA331@campuspipeline.com> At the risk of having a perfectly good link shut down, I'll direct your attention here: http://www.tmbg.com/no/ My kids love these "interactive videos", so if they end up getting removed because I pointed out the link I'm gonna kick myself.... AugieWan wrote: > > >From what I remember reading, the were making enhanced CD. It's to include > Flash based "videos" for each of the songs on the CD. > > Augie "now digging to find the interview" Wan > -------------------- > No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats. ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <16f.1bca45d.28ea49c7@aol.com> Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 18:35:51 EDT Subject: TMBG: Holidayland Cover Art and Track List at cduniverse.com! Someone on the newsgroup discovered that you can preorder Holidayland now at www.cduniverse.com. Do a search for They Might Be Giants and it will come up. For those who don't want to go to the website but want to know the track list, it's: 1. Santa Claus 2. Santa's Beard 3. Feast Of Lights 4. Careless Santa 5. O Tannenbaum There ya go! Kay, who wishes Christmas Cards and Olive the Other Reindeer was g oing to be on there, but oh well [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] Haven't really been following but my signed CD is amusing... take a look: http://jish.net/minkjish.jpg :) Josh P.S. - check out http://jish.net/tmbgcolumbia/ if you haven't seen my pics from 9/1 yes -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ "If you and I had any brains, we wouldn't be in this place" - John Linnell From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Oct 1 18:43:54 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f91Mhs545032 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 18:43:54 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from bohm.anu.edu.au (bohm.anu.edu.au [150.203.21.88]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f91MhqN45024 for ; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 18:43:52 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from s3174923@student.anu.edu.au) Received: from burgmann26 (fenner180.anu.edu.au [150.203.110.180]) by bohm.anu.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id IAA16919; Tue, 2 Oct 2001 08:43:46 +1000 (EST) Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.20011002084442.007ea100@student.anu.edu.au> X-Sender: s3174923@student.anu.edu.au X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.6 (32) Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 08:44:42 +1000 To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" , tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Ryan Mooney Subject: Re: TMBG: Boss Of Me In-Reply-To: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Ryan Mooney At 05:08 01-10-01 +0000, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >Can anyone confirm that this [Mink Car track 18] version of "Boss Of Me" is the same one that >was on the British commercial single? I have both, thanks to the very kind Richard Hilton and they are indeed exactly the same. It is also the same as the one on the Malcolm in the Middle soundtrack. My question is this: the US promo single features three different mixes of Boss of Me - 1. Boss of Me (Edit), 2. Boss of Me, 3. Boss of Me (Instrumental). Track 2 (which has a few extra seconds of wibbly noise at the start) was presumably intended as the album version. What happened there? - Ryan, eternally mystified From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Oct 1 19:00:15 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f91N0FW46278 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:00:15 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from bohm.anu.edu.au (bohm.anu.edu.au [150.203.21.88]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f91N0DN46269 for ; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:00:13 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from s3174923@student.anu.edu.au) Received: from burgmann26 (fenner180.anu.edu.au [150.203.110.180]) by bohm.anu.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) with SMTP id JAA19495 for ; Tue, 2 Oct 2001 09:00:11 +1000 (EST) Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.20011002090107.007dc160@student.anu.edu.au> X-Sender: s3174923@student.anu.edu.au X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.6 (32) Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 09:01:07 +1000 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Ryan Mooney Subject: Re: TMBG: No! / Holidayland... In-Reply-To: References: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Ryan Mooney To answer your No! question... According to the Flash site, the tracklist will be (in no particular order): 01 Clap Your Hands 02 Violin 03 No! 04 Robot Parade 05 I Am Not Your Broom 06 Wake Up Call 07 Where Do They Make Balloons? 08 John Lee Supertaster 09 Edison Museum 10 Fibber Island 11 Four Of Two 12 In The Middle 13 Bed Bed Bed 14 Sleepwalkers 15 The House At The Top Of The Tree 16 Lazyhead And Sleepybones 17 I Am A Grocery Bag ...or at least that's what they thought in August 2000 when that site went up. I recall Clowntown was rejected from "No!" because of "the disturbing concept of clown nudity", and Monsters of Mud will be left off, because, as usual, those parts of the Johns' brains that decide on track selection are as messed up as they ever have been. As to Holidayland, it's a holiday-themed EP that I see has already been described by Kay, whose "Christmas Cards" and "Olive, The Other Reindeer" sentiments I share... - Ryan From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Oct 1 19:05:28 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f91N5Sa46605 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:05:28 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-d08.mx.aol.com (imo-d08.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.40]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f91N5SN46596 for ; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:05:28 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Gegatron@aol.com) Received: from Gegatron@aol.com by imo-d08.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v31_r1.7.) id i.122.5376e6f (4541) for ; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:05:21 -0400 (EDT) From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <122.5376e6f.28ea50b0@aol.com> Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:05:20 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Holidayland Cover Art and Track List at cduniverse.com! To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Mailer: AOL 5.0 for Mac sub 28 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Gegatron@aol.com wow i thought they might throw at least one new song on there but I guess not. I highly doubt these are new versions of old songs. Sure wish they'd bring out a new Man It's so Loud in Here single instead of recycled material. Is there any chance of that happening? From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Oct 1 19:46:14 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f91NkEV49210 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:46:14 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from c011.snv.cp.net (c011-h002.c011.snv.cp.net [209.228.34.215]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with SMTP id f91NkCN49202 for ; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:46:13 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from bryce@tmbg.org) Received: (cpmta 24905 invoked from network); 1 Oct 2001 16:46:06 -0700 Received: from mail.visualnetworks.com (208.22.73.21) by smtp.namezero.com (209.228.34.215) with SMTP; 1 Oct 2001 16:46:06 -0700 X-Sent: 1 Oct 2001 23:46:06 GMT Message-ID: <041a01c14ad2$cd0fb1f0$3a1410ac@avesta.com> From: "Bryce" To: Received: from no.name.available by mail.visualnetworks.com via smtpd (for namezero.com.criticalpath.net [209.229.62.48]) with SMTP; 1 Oct 2001 23:46:04 UT References: <16f.1bca45d.28ea49c7@aol.com> Subject: Re: TMBG: Holidayland Cover Art and Track List at cduniverse.com! Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 19:42:29 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Bryce" Kay : > 1. Santa Claus > 2. Santa's Beard > 3. Feast Of Lights > 4. Careless Santa > 5. O Tannenbaum What, no We Just Go Nuts at Christmastime? No Christmas Cards? No Velcro Horns arrangement of Feliz Navidad?!!?!? And what about Careless Santa? (Ah, come on, you knew somebody was gonna say it.) Bryce Lighting up the house like Xmas trees. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Oct 1 21:03:58 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f9213wC53977 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:03:58 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from epimetheus.hosting4u.net (epimetheus.hosting4u.net [209.15.2.70]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with SMTP id f9213wN53962 for ; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:03:58 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from meg@fisticuffs.org) Received: (qmail 6013 invoked from network); 2 Oct 2001 01:03:56 -0000 Received: from neptune.hosting4u.net (HELO fisticuffs.org) (209.15.2.22) by mail-gate.hosting4u.net with SMTP; 2 Oct 2001 01:03:56 -0000 Received: from 0019380480 ([149.31.84.153]) by fisticuffs.org ; Mon, 01 Oct 2001 20:03:53 -0500 Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.20011001210117.007a79d0@fisticuffs.org> X-Sender: meg@fisticuffs.org X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.6 (32) Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 21:01:17 -0400 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Meg Subject: Re: TMBG: signed CD humor In-Reply-To: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Meg At 06:39 PM 10/1/01 -0400, Josh Axelrad wrote: >P.S. - check out http://jish.net/tmbgcolumbia/ if you haven't seen my pics >from 9/1 Those rock. I paused on purplerectangle.jpg and my roommate said, "Oh, that's that guy from 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'!" I don't think I have EVER heard John Linnell compared to Nicholas Brendon. Meg -- "If I die because people are stupid, don't give me a twenty-one-gun salute." (Cheryl Wagner) http://www.fisticuffs.org cries at commercials. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Oct 1 21:39:20 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f921dKe56454 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:39:20 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f151.law11.hotmail.com [64.4.17.151]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f921dKN56446 for ; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:39:20 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from lucose@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 18:39:14 -0700 Received: from 129.59.33.157 by lw11fd.law11.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Tue, 02 Oct 2001 01:39:14 GMT X-Originating-IP: [129.59.33.157] From: "Lucas Thompson" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: RE: TMBG: Boss Of Me / My Man Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 01:39:14 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 02 Oct 2001 01:39:14.0853 (UTC) FILETIME=[0B2BB550:01C14AE3] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Lucas Thompson" >Well I have to tell you, I wasn't too excited about it at first. Just >another song, rather catchy but weird that he's singing about "My Man" >Then >I read what the song is REALLY about on www.theymightbegiants.com and >suddenly I find the song fascinating, in a morbid sort of way. > >Oh, and thanks for the tip on exchange rates, I didn't realize they were >quite so good (well, good in the sense that I'm in the US) right now. > >Amy :) Exactly! I was very skeptical when all I knew was the name, but when I first heard it... "There is no way to repair the break" was bonechilling... which was really cool because the style of the song definitely clashes with the content... -Lucas Thompson Lord High Dictator For Life Against Life of the Vanderbilt Students Against Life, and TMBG Ambassador to Singapore, where he no longer resides. ( http://crud.net/~uj ) aim: edge of hearing _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Oct 2 00:42:33 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f924gX168323 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 2 Oct 2001 00:42:33 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f252.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.236.130]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f924gXN68315 for ; Tue, 2 Oct 2001 00:42:33 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Mon, 1 Oct 2001 21:42:27 -0700 Received: from 63.20.185.8 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Tue, 02 Oct 2001 04:42:27 GMT X-Originating-IP: [63.20.185.8] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: No! / Holidayland... Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 04:42:27 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 02 Oct 2001 04:42:27.0754 (UTC) FILETIME=[A37348A0:01C14AFC] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Ryan Mooney: >I recall Clowntown was rejected from "No!" because of "the disturbing >concept of clown nudity", and Monsters of Mud will be left off, because, as >usual, those parts of the Johns' brains that decide on track selection are >as messed up as they ever have been. And "Shooting Star" will apparently not appear because the royalties would be too expensive. (In case you didn't know, it's a cover song, written by the same guys, or at least one of the same guys, as "Why Does The Sun Shine?" and the Righteous Brothers' "Unchained Melody.") >As to Holidayland, it's a holiday-themed EP that I see has already been >described by Kay, whose "Christmas Cards" and "Olive, The Other Reindeer" >sentiments I share... And its price (the one CD Universe is charging, anyway, which the website claims is a discount, but you can never really tell) seems a bit steep for five songs, whether released or not. I'm still not sure whether I'll be getting this. I don't have "Santa Claus" or "Feast Of Lights" in any format, so it would have something new for me, but I'm hoping the price will go down somewhat after it's released. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Oct 2 01:46:58 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f925kwG71979 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 2 Oct 2001 01:46:58 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from mail.thespeakeasy.com (www.thespeakeasy.com [206.126.35.213]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f925kvN71971 for ; Tue, 2 Oct 2001 01:46:57 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from augiewan@thespeakeasy.com) Received: from minime [12.23.180.179] by mail.thespeakeasy.com (SMTPD32-6.00) id A34EC81012C; Tue, 02 Oct 2001 00:40:30 -0500 From: "AugieWan" To: "Them People" Subject: TMBG: School kids singing Particle Man... Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 01:57:42 -0400 Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 (Normal) X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook IMO, Build 9.0.2416 (9.0.2910.0) Importance: Normal X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4522.1200 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "AugieWan" Does anyone have the story that was posted "briefly" on TMBG.com about the follow-up letter they got from the teacher who had sent them the tape of the school kids singing particle man? It listed the teacher's name, the name of the school, and what grade/year it was. I just happen to know a few people who live in that town (Buchanan MI) but there are 3 grade schools (all using the same teacher) and they all sang it, so they are fighting about which class it was on the CD... Augie "and his very small connection to the Johns" wan -------------------- No matter how hard you try, you can't baptize cats. ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #46-2 *****************************