Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #46-6 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 46, Number 6 Sunday, 7 October 2001 Today's Topics: TMBG: Mink Car Review #398 Re: TMBG: Mink Car Review #398 TMBG: OFF TOPIC: Tonight's Conan TMBG: NO! site no more? non TMBG: what a cool sister I am Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <21.123552d3.28f002ae@aol.com> Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 02:46:06 EDT Subject: TMBG: Mink Car Review #398 Hey hey! I thought this might be a fun thing to do and I like reading everyone else's reviews so here we go... Overall this album is WEIRD... Because the whole attitude of the album is more like TMBG Live shows then on their albums. Was anybody else SHOCKED at how many names are on the album, and talking? Their other albums, with the exception of "I Can Hear You" are completely anonymous...Whats next, they are going to start putting PHOTOS of John and John on the cover?!? Ok so yes Bangs : I like this a lot. I like it a lot more than the early McSweeneys version. That one was fun and bouncey but more in a cutesy way (like Im Your Boyfriend Now). This one is fun and bouncy in a totally hardcore interesting way. The productions really good and theres a lot of instruments and stuff going on. I like the lyrics too even though its not their best subject matter, but its cool to have a song about really liking this one aspect of someone and kind of focusing on that (though im sure thats been done before..)... So this is really good. Cyclops Rock : Yes! This is GREAT. I am really satisfied with the final version of this song (left out Nixon's aside..)... It actually ROCKS and its just a damn good song that I want everyone to hear. I LOVE the girl thing at the end (so thats what everyone was talking about..)... I listen to this song and look forward to hearing her. Its so cool. So yeah no complaints... Though maybe i do miss some of Linnells keyboard stuff that he does live but whatever. Oh yeah and good lyrics too... Man, Its So Loud In Here : On first listen I was appauled but now I totally love this. A friend of mine thought it wasnt dance-song ENOUGH. It works for me. It works. I like this. Mr. Xcitement : Wohhhh ok.. well I actually like this. I first heard it on Dial A Song and hated it but its much better hearing it on the album...Yeah it doesnt sound much like tmbg (a lot of their newer stuff seems very Malcolm in the Middle influenced.. cause before that they didnt really do too much "cool" sounding music)...I recommend listening to this on headphones outside when you are going somewhere. Its not one of my favorite tracks but I like it more than I thought I would.... Another First Kiss : errr.... McDonald's Music....I still dont understand this...I dont mind the lyrics, i dont mind the melody or even the fact that its slower... I just hate the production of it...Its like the oppossite of what I love about tmbg...I hate that solo that happens in it, and that dumb minor chord thats like telling you its a minor chord instead of a major chord... Im embarrassed to have people i know hear this and thats not what i look for in songs. Ive Got A Fang : So I was shocked that this song made it onto the album but the finished version is actually pretty cool. I love how noisy it is (the whole album is noisier than their other albums...).... The melody and lyrics are pretty weak but its a good monster of a song. Im going to try and avoid the argument "Id rather Thunderbird be on the album than this" because its true, but it didnt happen so theres no use saying it really...I could say that for like every song... Hovering Sombrero : I like this a lot. I find the lyrics genuinely moving and motivational. Im not sure why its a Sombrero as the target in the song but ok. I dont think its his smartest lyrics are most poetic lyrics but i just think they are nice. Good song...someone mentioned this being placed weird on the album after Fang and i agree with that. Yeh Yeh : This is pretty cool... the more i hear it the more I like it. Though I wouldnt mind if it werent on the album i guess. Its cool. "Yo yo yo".. "open your mind.. to electric guitar.." SEE .. This is TMBG Live style... not tmbg album style...they NEVER have stuff like that on their album....its so weird....But its a good song and umm yeah...I listened to this with friends and it got me moving. Hopeless Bleak Despair : Ah the one song I had never heard before, or even heard OF before. At first listen I thought it was bad. The lyrics were terrible ("the first time I ever left my house" ughhh) but I like it now. A friend of mine said he thought it was just Linnell being as open and simple about this subject matter to him as he possibly could be without shrouding it in too much cleverness. Maybe thats true. Or maybe they are being lazy lyric writers now. I honestly don't know. They have to realize how different their current lyrics are to their earlier stuff... they have to. Thats why it has to be intentional, because its not like they got stupider with age or anything. It had to be a conscious decision and im really interested why. Oh so yeah i like this song now, it gets better and better. Drink!: Awesome, i like this a lot though for some reason it seems weird out of place on the album...hmm.. dont know why... But I got no complaints. Best lyrics of the bunch...great song. My Man: Hey hey this is great too. I like the lyrics and was totally freaked out by them upon hearing the song. THOUGH I wish John Flansburgh didn't have to ruin it by telling tmbg unlimited people what it was about. I wanted to realize it myself, as Ive done with other songs of theirs. The song has so much more impact when one day it just hits you. Sigh oh well. Older : huhhh well yeah this is like the 3rd studio version and it sounds kind of like the first version but ok... I like this version except I hate that Flans totally pussys out on his singing part (he pussys out a LOT on this album actually, i like "Absolutely Bills Mood" and "You'll Miss Me" Flans the most)... So yeah its good but when it comes on I am not very excited. Mink Car : The demo had a weird and good quality that this version lacks but besides that its a good song and I like it. I like the lyrics a lot ("her smile is an open sign in an abandoned store" wohh flans!) Its a nice little relaxing song in the midst of this chaotic noisy album... Wicked Little Critta: I dont know why this is on the album either but whatever. I like listening to it and get happy when it comes on... however... thunderbird argument... Finished With Lies : grrr I like the old version better. And its too hard to pretend the old version never existed. I actually started liking this version a lot (i love the instrumental solo part) after hearing it for maybe the 5th time but then i listened to the old version and was sucked into it again. I dont want to forget about the old version but its the only way I can really like this one. She Thinks Shes Edith Head : goddammit you moron Flans. The old one was so cool, with the more yelling singing and the speaker fun (split personalities, get it!!?!)... Its still a fun song but Flansburghs more boring vocal is too loud... i like the multiple endings (once again, talking, etc...)... i kind of wish this wasnt on the album though Working Undercover for the Man : Hmm a weird way to end the album but i like the song and didnt really have a convenient way to listen to it otherwise...I like this version... I think Hopeless Bleak Despair would have made a better last track... So yeah... not as bad as i thought but still their worst album (maybe better than Factory Showroom but FS has Spiralling Shape...) So I dont know yet if this album has any of their "best" songs on it...id say Cyclops Rock is really close...its just so hard to better than Dont Lets Start or Nothings Gonna Change My Clothes or Its Not My Birthday etc etc...I couldnt live up to that. I think the Battle of the Bands songs (except Headless) are like all better than a lot of the tracks on this album. Save Your Life is amazingly great. Oh yeah and they didnt sign my album funny, unless you count the F being smudged as some sort of joke from Mr. Flansburgh. Hey its cool anyway "Another murder... has come to town. It was that wasted... infested clown; His baggy suit, his turned up frown. Another clown. What's going on?" Jordan [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] << So yeah... not as bad as i thought but still their worst album (maybe better than Factory Showroom but FS has Spiraling Shape...) >> GAROOOO!!!! I've had a little too much to drink, so I'm a bit surly at this comment!! Factory Showroom is the best damn TMBG CD out there!! Don't make me E-kick your ass!! Also I'd say this album is way better than everything TMBG has ever brought out except FS. (well in my book it's tied with John Henry for second). Factory Showroom has a very powerful "rock your face" feel to it. It rocks hard but it is also packed with so much innocence that it almost reminds me of Weezer's first CD (eventhough it doesn't really sound much like it). I will agree with the criticism of First Kiss though. It sounds a little too much like Troubled Times by Fountains of Wayne... but it was just an experiment. It's not like TMBG are going to be "Sensitive Rockers" from now on out... Also in this slightly drunken rant I'd have to say that Thunderbird is kinda crappy!!! I'm going to repeat that... THUNDERBIRD IS KINDA CRAPPY! It sounds a Linnell Mid-life Crisis song. Keep off thunderbird, boot off Working Undercover and add No Answer as the last track and bingo you've got a super duper cool album! From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat Oct 6 05:04:19 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f9694Jb33678 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 6 Oct 2001 05:04:19 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (oe73.pav1.hotmail.com [64.4.30.208]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f9694IN33670 for ; Sat, 6 Oct 2001 05:04:18 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from mrminiwheat60@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Sat, 6 Oct 2001 02:04:13 -0700 X-Originating-IP: [65.0.77.234] From: "Erich Cannon" To: Subject: TMBG: OFF TOPIC: Tonight's Conan Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 02:10:23 -0700 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0010_01C14E0C.0E797720" X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2615.200 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2615.200 Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 06 Oct 2001 09:04:13.0206 (UTC) FILETIME=[DE481360:01C14E45] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Erich Cannon" This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C14E0C.0E797720 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Ummmm....does anyone know who was the musical guest on Conan tonight? = Tom something. I liked that song. Erich ------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C14E0C.0E797720 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Ummmm....does anyone know who was the = musical guest=20 on Conan tonight? Tom something. I liked that song.

Erich
------=_NextPart_000_0010_01C14E0C.0E797720-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat Oct 6 20:25:57 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f970Pvm54653 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 6 Oct 2001 20:25:57 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-m09.mx.aol.com (imo-m09.mx.aol.com [64.12.136.164]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f970PuN54645 for ; Sat, 6 Oct 2001 20:25:56 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Kaylum@aol.com) Received: from Kaylum@aol.com by imo-m09.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v31_r1.7.) id i.de.1b93ca8b (3924) for ; Sat, 6 Oct 2001 20:25:48 -0400 (EDT) From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 20:25:48 EDT Subject: TMBG: NO! site no more? To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_de.1b93ca8b.28f0fb0c_boundary" X-Mailer: AOL 6.0 for Windows US sub 10535 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Kaylum@aol.com --part1_de.1b93ca8b.28f0fb0c_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I haven't been able to get the NO! preview site to work for a few days, which is funny because I remember someone on this mailing list giving the address and saying she (or maybe he) hoped that it wasn't taken down as a result. I really think that it's just a coindence, though, because that site had been up for over a year, and visited it a lot and told lots of friends about it, so if it were meant to be hidden, I think it would've been taken down a long time ago. Anyway, anyone have any insight into what might've happened? Kay --part1_de.1b93ca8b.28f0fb0c_boundary Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I haven't been able to get the NO! preview site to work for a few days, which is funny because I remember someone on this mailing list giving the address and saying she (or maybe he) hoped that it wasn't taken down as a result.  I really think that it's just a coindence, though, because that site had been up for over a year, and visited it a lot and told lots of friends about it, so if it were meant to be hidden, I think it would've been taken down a long time ago.  

Anyway, anyone have any insight into what might've happened?

Kay
--part1_de.1b93ca8b.28f0fb0c_boundary-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat Oct 6 20:36:01 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id f970a1K54973 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 6 Oct 2001 20:36:01 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-m10.mx.aol.com (imo-m10.mx.aol.com [64.12.136.165]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f970a1N54965 for ; Sat, 6 Oct 2001 20:36:01 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Alterian@aol.com) Received: from Alterian@aol.com by imo-m10.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v31_r1.7.) id i.8a.d8e8cc6 (2523) for ; Sat, 6 Oct 2001 20:35:54 -0400 (EDT) From: Alterian@aol.com Message-ID: <8a.d8e8cc6.28f0fd6a@aol.com> Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2001 20:35:54 EDT Subject: non TMBG: what a cool sister I am To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_8a.d8e8cc6.28f0fd6a_boundary" X-Mailer: AOL 6.0 for Windows US sub 10536 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Alterian@aol.com --part1_8a.d8e8cc6.28f0fd6a_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I think I'm such a cool older sister. I'm going to take my brother to his first non parental supervised TMBG concert for his birthday this year. I was bored and not a ton of e-mails have been sent to the list recently so I thought I'd share! ^_^ -Amber the Transcendent --part1_8a.d8e8cc6.28f0fd6a_boundary Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I think I'm such a cool older sister. I'm going to take my brother to his first non parental supervised TMBG concert for his birthday this year.
I was bored and not a ton of e-mails have been sent to the list recently so I thought I'd share! ^_^
-Amber the Transcendent
--part1_8a.d8e8cc6.28f0fd6a_boundary-- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #46-6 *****************************