Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #47-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 47, Number 1 Friday, 2 November 2001 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: Re:They Might be Giants' Holidayland is here! Re: TMBG: Re:They Might be Giants' Holidayland is here! TMBG: 9:30 club show report! TMBG: one more thing re: 9:30 club TMBG: tmbg halloween Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 03:15:00 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <200111010815.fA18F0b16533@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 12:43:29 -0500 From: karinh@sterl.com Subject: TMBG: Re:They Might be Giants' Holidayland is here! Message-Id: <100177935@sterl.com> ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.0.20011101141855.009f0af0@email.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 14:20:21 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: Re:They Might be Giants' Holidayland is here! [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:09:15 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: 9:30 club show report! Message-ID: Hey, not sure what has been posted and I am posting this quickly but wanted to remember a bunch of funny quotes from John and John... for those of you who didn't watch the webcast (and apparantly see the sexy back of my head)... Tyler(flans), before we want a rock: This is one of our favorite they might be giants songs... I wish they had played this one on tiny toons! I was just dying after that one... it was before the upcoming longer tiny toons talk and flans said it as a very offhand comment but I couldn't stop laughing at that then afterwards "Tyler" did this whole thing about how he read in an interview with Flans once that his feelings were hurt because he was a pig on tiny toons... but he thinks that linnell being a duck is not so good either so its kind of a wash... then Jared (Linnell): I read on the web that they don't have feelings. They were doing that little dialogue I believe during the part where we all had to wait while they flipped the gatefold version of the Flood LP heh... Then right before Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love the song Linnell goes "this is our personal theme song" and Parker (Danny Weinkauf) runs up and grabs him on the shoulder and goes "nono, thats the next song" (thinking he was mistakenly introducing They "Might Be Giants") and then linnell laughs and goes "no... we ARE sapphire bullets"... hehe it was really quiet and subtle and off mic but Danny couldn't stop laughing for the whole song... also, so they did I've Got a Fang after reading it written on Adam's shirt up front and they were commenting on how they liked that nobody knew what they were going to play cause it wasn't written on the setlists... and somebody in the crowd shouted "FANG" and linnell goes "hey shutup"... I like something about Linnell being mean. Dan Hickey started the drum beat for James K Polk and when Linnell should have started he stopped and started going into how fucked up it was that all our presidents are always from Washington and we need a president not from washington... Flans added that they all live in the White House which Linnell found extra "fucked up" and finally... Flansburgh does the sun is so hot that everything on it is a gas... and he starts listing stuff like "macrame, jewelry making tools, bread making machines" etc... and its about to go into the next part and Linnell stops and says "wait a min, I have a question... what about silkscreen?" and flans goes "well technically silkscreen would be a gas on the sun as well" and then linnell suddenly goes into the next bit of the song and nobody else was ready ahh hehe I am sure that most of that doesn't translate as well via email but it was fun to remember it all philly next... -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ "If you and I had any brains, we wouldn't be in this place" - John Linnell ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 15:12:56 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: one more thing re: 9:30 club Message-ID: Ahh... so during the show they were calling Dan Miller "Stormy Black" and at one point Flans asks if thats is transexual name and Dan says yes, and flans says something about how you get it by the way you are feeling + the color of your hair... and Linnell goes... "no, I think its the city where you died and the name of the dog you never had.... at least for me it is" thank you Joshy -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ "If you and I had any brains, we wouldn't be in this place" - John Linnell ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20011102041030.84741.qmail@web9707.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 20:10:30 -0800 (PST) From: Jennifer Morton Subject: TMBG: tmbg halloween So I went out to this club Halloween night. Right when I got there I took a minute to survey the place, check out everyone's costumes etc. What do I see on the dance floor groovin' out? A guy with curly hair and an accordion. The first thing that went through my mind was "wow, that looks like Linnell", but thought there's no way someone would actually be him for Halloween. Then a few seconds later another guy walks out of the crowd over to him. He's bigger, wearing glasses. I freaked out, went to go over to them but by the time I got there they were gone. I figured they had left, but later I saw them over by the bathroom and told them I knew who they were. The look on their faces was one of total shock. I was the only one the whole evening that knew what they were supposed to be! They said I got a prize, so I got kisses on the cheek from both. I was kinda bored so they totally made my night. Just thought I'd share with people who might care. ~Jennifer __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Find a job, post your resume. http://careers.yahoo.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #47-1 *****************************