Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #47-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 47, Number 14 Thursday, 15 November 2001 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Help!!! Re: TMBG: what you like from emusic Re: TMBG: Help!!! Re: TMBG: best play-list ever... Re: TMBG: Ultimate playlist Re: TMBG: Ultimate playlist Re: TMBG: Help!!! TMBG: Re: Status of news.tmbg.org. TMBG: Re: Status of news.tmbg.org. TMBG: Re: UK/AUS trip anyone taping? TMBG: Re: The Definitive They CD TMBG: Re: The Definitive They CD TMBG: Re: The Definitive They CD TMBG: Re: True thoughts on I Might Be Giants Re: TMBG: Re: The Definitive They CD TMBG: Re: Re: The Definitive They CD Re: TMBG: Re: The Definitive They CD TMBG: does it work yet? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3BF25BC5.30D598A3@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 03:56:06 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: Re: TMBG: Help!!! Bryce wrote: > I like this idea, but the difficulty is in proving that you had a > subscription, especially after December. I think it's going to have to be up > to each person to burn their own CD; anyone who offers to do it for people > opens themselves up to legal trouble. However, I think we should come up with > an unofficial tracklist of just the not-Mink-Car-nor-McSweeneys tracks, give > it the title Secret Mountain Laboratory, and use the cover art that John > Ferrer came up with. > > Bryce I'm currently exchanging email with eMusic regarding all my complaints with their service. I want to give them the chance to explain and correct the situations. I should have done this back in December when the problems started but better late than never. I'll let you know what happens. After the final issue is up, I'm going to fix the files where needed then burn them to CD in aiff form (playable on regular CD players.). Also, I'll try to make CD inserts with song indexes. I would have done anyway for myself but if eMusic ignores my complaints, I may decide to offer copies of the entire collection for all that want them (eMusic subscriber or not). I'll consider that my compensation for being ripped off. If you are unhappy with UnLtd, please write eMusic. Unfortunately, it seems that I am one of the few fans that care. I'm utterly confused at how the same people who flame each other for leaving an "l" out of Linnell's name can overlook all of eMusic's blunders. Ideally, eMusic would do this (although its not gonna happen) : 1) Fix the files 2) Send an email to all UnLtd subscribers apologizing for their errors and announce that all the files are now available for re-download in their fixed form. 3) And since that will only make things they way they should have been in the first place they should give each UnLtd subscriber an extra free year membership. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <200111141850.NAA25042@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: what you like from emusic Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 13:50:28 -0500 (EST) AugieWan: > > Some other interesting stuff: Death By Chocolate and Inger Lorre... > Cool, I lost track of Inger Lorre after the Nymphs went by the way. I didn't know she was on emusic, thanks! m@t ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Help!!! Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:53:28 +0000 Message-ID: Bongo: > After the final issue is up, I'm going to fix the files where needed >then burn >them to CD in aiff form (playable on regular CD players.). Also, I'll try >to make >CD inserts with song indexes. I would have done anyway for myself but if >eMusic >ignores my complaints, I may decide to offer copies of the entire >collection for >all that want them (eMusic subscriber or not). So eMusic not responding to your complaints is adequate reason to, essentially, steal from them? I mean, I don't know whether anyone here would turn you in for that, but your excuse certainly wouldn't stand up in any court of law. >I'll consider that my compensation for being ripped off. I agree that Unlimited could have been much better, but I don't know that a few glitches would qualify as a rip-off. > If you are unhappy with UnLtd, please write eMusic. Unfortunately, it >seems >that I am one of the few fans that care. I'm utterly confused at how the >same >people who flame each other for leaving an "l" out of Linnell's name can >overlook >all of eMusic's blunders. I don't think anyone who points out that Linnell's name was misspelled considers that a reason to steal. I mean, I'm often the first to point out errors in write-ups and reviews, but that doesn't mean I'm going to shoplift several copies of Rolling Stone because they said that the Johns wrote "Yeh Yeh." (Yes, I'm aware that Rolling Stone never actually said that, but that's just an example.) > Ideally, eMusic would do this (although its not gonna happen) : > >1) Fix the files >2) Send an email to all UnLtd subscribers apologizing for their errors and >announce that all the files are now available for re-download in their >fixed >form. >3) And since that will only make things they way they should have been in >the >first place they should give each UnLtd subscriber an extra free year >membership. A free year? Is that ALL? While you're at it, why not demand that TMBG play a private concert for every subscriber? Seriously, you seem to demand an awful lot of compensation for a few errors and glitches. I agree that eMusic should fix files with bugs in them, but I don't see any reason to call for a free year. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: best play-list ever... Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:21:42 +0000 Message-ID: I wonder why no one else has responded to this yet. Hmm...any song and any order? What about the back-up band? Just the Dans? The Velcro Horns? The brass orchestra? Robin Goldwasser? Doughty? That would make a difference, you know. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] I'm trying to make a CD for someone who hasn't heard much TMBG aside from Particle Man and Istanbul... Here's what I've got lined up - please keep in mind that this is geared towards someone with very little TMBG exposure. It is heavy on Mink Car, but I think that is the most "listenable" to the uninitiated: Spiraling Shape Particle Man Bangs Another First Kiss Alternative & Punk A Shooting Star Is Not A Star Yeh Yeh Finished With Lies Alternative & Punk Man, It's So Loud In Here Boss of Me Kiss Me, Son of God New York City Mr. Me They'll Need A Crane She Thinks She's Edith Head Doctor Worm Don't Let's Start Chris Conroy Heartwood Media Inc. 603/665/9191 http://www.heartwoodmedia.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Nov 14 15:41:42 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fAEKfgZ68533 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:41:42 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f61.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.61]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fAEKffu68525 for ; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:41:41 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 12:41:36 -0800 Received: from 64.192.26.1 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:41:35 GMT X-Originating-IP: [64.192.26.1] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Ultimate playlist Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:41:35 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 14 Nov 2001 20:41:36.0204 (UTC) FILETIME=[C0C320C0:01C16D4C] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Chris Conroy: >I'm trying to make a CD for someone who hasn't heard much TMBG aside from >Particle Man and Istanbul... > >Here's what I've got lined up - please keep in mind that this is geared >towards someone with very little TMBG exposure. It is heavy on Mink Car, >but >I think that is the most "listenable" to the uninitiated: > >Spiraling Shape >Particle Man If this is one of the few songs they've heard, why bother including it? >Bangs >Another First Kiss Alternative & Punk >A Shooting Star Is Not A Star Kind of an odd choice, I would think. Maybe there's a personal reason for it, though. >Yeh Yeh >Finished With Lies Alternative & Punk There's a punk version of "Finished With Lies"? >Man, It's So Loud In Here >Boss of Me >Kiss Me, Son of God >New York City Wow, that's three covers in only sixteen songs. (Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's kind of odd, considering how few covers the band does.) >Mr. Me >They'll Need A Crane >She Thinks She's Edith Head Which version? >Doctor Worm >Don't Let's Start Hmm, "Ana Ng," "Purple Toupee," and "Birdhouse In Your Soul" are always popular. I've also noticed that you haven't included ANYTHING from John Henry, so get on it! "Sleeping In The Flowers," "A Self Called Nowhere," and "The End Of The Tour" (possibly as the last track) are all good choices, I would say. Other songs that I might include on such a CD are: She's An Angel The Guitar Dinner Bell It's Not My Birthday Reprehensible On The Drag Of course, it's largely a matter of personal preference. What kind of music does this person like? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Nov 14 17:04:12 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fAEM4Cn70887 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:04:12 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-m09.mx.aol.com (imo-m09.mx.aol.com [64.12.136.164]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fAEM4Cu70879 for ; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:04:12 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from Kaylum@aol.com) Received: from Kaylum@aol.com by imo-m09.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v31_r1.9.) id p.13c.47c8056 (3964) for ; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:04:01 -0500 (EST) From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <13c.47c8056.29244451@aol.com> Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 17:04:01 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Help!!! To: tmbg-list@tmbg.com MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_13c.47c8056.29244451_boundary" X-Mailer: AOL 7.0 for Windows US sub 118 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Kaylum@aol.com --part1_13c.47c8056.29244451_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit In a message dated 11/14/01 1:55:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > So eMusic not responding to your complaints is adequate reason to, > essentially, steal from them? Hear here. I've pretty much accepted the fact that there's not much that can be done about people who find ways to steal the facts for free. My favorite is a guy on the newsgroup who was a one-time TMBG insider who had some sort of falling out with Flans and had sort of lost interest in the band until recently. He posted on the newsgroup begging for all of the Unlimited stuff he'd missed out on, and people were eager to oblige in hopes that he'd share some of his rarities, which he did; as a gesture of thanks, he gave away stuff he had promised an unnamed associate of TMBG that he would never share. Always nice to see that ethics are alive and well among TMBG fans :p I mean, I don't know whether anyone here > would turn you in for that, I wouldn't be so sure ;) Kay --part1_13c.47c8056.29244451_boundary Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit In a message dated 11/14/01 1:55:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes:

So eMusic not responding to your complaints is adequate reason to,
essentially, steal from them?

Hear here. I've pretty much accepted the fact that there's not much that can be done about people who find ways to steal the facts for free. My favorite is a guy on the newsgroup who was a one-time TMBG insider who had some sort of falling out with Flans and had sort of lost interest in the band until recently.  He posted on the newsgroup begging for all of the Unlimited stuff he'd missed out on, and people were eager  to oblige in hopes that he'd share some of his rarities, which he did; as a gesture of thanks, he gave away stuff he had promised an unnamed associate of TMBG that he would never share.  Always nice to see that ethics are alive and well among TMBG fans :p

I mean, I don't know whether anyone here
would turn you in for that,

I wouldn't be so sure ;)

Kay
--part1_13c.47c8056.29244451_boundary-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Nov 14 19:09:07 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fAF097g77773 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:09:07 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from server1.ufp.org (server1.ufp.org [207.126.124.34]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fAF096u77768; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:09:06 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news@server1.ufp.org) Received: (from news@localhost) by server1.ufp.org (8.11.6/8.11.3) id fAEK8Cf05691; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:08:12 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news) From: "Andy Knox" X-Newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg Subject: TMBG: Re: Status of news.tmbg.org. Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:02:54 -0500 Organization: Posted via Supernews, http://www.supernews.com Message-ID: References: <3BF2F2B9.BEEBDE48@tmbg.org> X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400 X-Mimeole: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4133.2400 X-Complaints-To: newsabuse@supernews.com Lines: 13 To: alt-music-tmbg@tmbg.org.tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Andy Knox" Wow, Leo Bicknell. Hey, Are you still sort of in charge of the tmbg.com/chat room? I heard you were at one point, but it may have been a rumor. But basically, I'm asking if it's possible for you to make up a moderator for the room. It gets bad there sometimes and there's no way to avoid spammers that plague us(they get around the ignore feature all too easily)I know there's a room moderator option but you need a code. If possible could you contact me by my email address on this board if you know anything about it. I'm extremely interested in making TMBG Chat a better place. Love, Andy From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Nov 14 19:27:07 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fAF0R7578219 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:27:07 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from server1.ufp.org (server1.ufp.org [207.126.124.34]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fAF0R6u78214; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:27:06 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news@server1.ufp.org) Received: (from news@localhost) by server1.ufp.org (8.11.6/8.11.3) id fAEKQ3b06312; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:26:03 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news) From: Leo Bicknell X-Newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg Subject: TMBG: Re: Status of news.tmbg.org. Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:25:09 -0500 Organization: They Might Be Giants Fan Club Lines: 9 Message-ID: <3BF30B65.CF28C150@tmbg.org> References: <3BF2F2B9.BEEBDE48@tmbg.org> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Complaints-To: news@tmbg.org X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.74 [en] (Win98; U) X-Accept-Language: en,pdf To: alt-music-tmbg@tmbg.org.tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Leo Bicknell Andy Knox wrote: > Hey, Are you still sort of in charge of the tmbg.com/chat room? I heard you Nope. I provide some hosting services for the Giants, but they use their own site design people, and some service for the chat room. I really know nothing about it. -- Leo Bicknell From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Nov 14 19:31:08 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fAF0V8B78473 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:31:08 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from server1.ufp.org (server1.ufp.org [207.126.124.34]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fAF0V7u78468; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:31:07 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news@server1.ufp.org) Received: (from news@localhost) by server1.ufp.org (8.11.6/8.11.3) id fAEKUXa06335; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:30:33 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news) Message-ID: <3BF30B90.7AD7EA21@cyberserf.co.uk> From: Malcolm Lashley Organization: Cyberserf. X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.6 [en-gb]C-CCK-MCD NetscapeOnline.co.uk (Win98; I) X-Accept-Language: en-GB,en MIME-Version: 1.0 X-Newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg Subject: TMBG: Re: UK/AUS trip anyone taping? References: <3bf52271.4269651@groups.i-2000.com> <9srff7$15pg3j$1@ID-55088.news.dfncis.de> <3BF17B2E.B36244B2@cyberserf.co.uk> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Lines: 38 Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:25:52 +0000 X-Complaints-To: abuse@ntlworld.com To: alt-music-tmbg@tmbg.org.tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Malcolm Lashley Was at the opening night - many many moons ago - 808 State and MC Tunes - remember them? I've been there quite a few times - but don't live in the area now - glad to hear nothings changed ;-) Remember freinds going to sold out new years eve party and getting in by slipping bouncers a tenner! I've always thought the sound was OK for the gigs I've been to there - paul weller, the farm, carter usm... - always seemed to come out deaf though ;-) Back to my old stomping ground in a couple of weeks - can't wait. Malc. PS It's *got* to be downstairs... Tim wrote: > On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 19:57:34 +0000, Malcolm Lashley > wrote: > >Might be easier in norwich... > > ROTFL&SCOMN I guess you've been to the Waterfront then :) > > Definitely a "less than secure" place though the quality will be > "Norfolking Good"[1] unless you can get a nice blond into the sound > guys pants although sadly I don't know him (and not being blonde and > all) > > >how good would minidisc and mike be - any > >recommendations on a mike, Mike (sic) > > See above, TWF is a _bit_ small I can't imagine where they'll put it > as upstairs is small and down stairs is best described as an > industrial club. Hey lets hope they don't go for the coffee bar! > > [1] Hey I live here - I'm allowed to slag it off From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Nov 14 19:53:11 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fAF0rBx79142 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:53:11 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from server1.ufp.org (server1.ufp.org [207.126.124.34]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fAF0r6u79137; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:53:06 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news@server1.ufp.org) Received: (from news@localhost) by server1.ufp.org (8.11.6/8.11.3) id fAEKqW107346; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 15:52:32 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news) From: "Joseph Andre" X-Newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg Subject: TMBG: Re: The Definitive They CD Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 19:49:13 -0500 Lines: 7 Message-ID: <9sv3ip$15egkv$1@ID-50051.news.dfncis.de> References: <20011114143958.06945.00002429@mb-mg.aol.com> X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000 To: alt-music-tmbg@tmbg.org.tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Joseph Andre" > oh well, if you're def I guess it won't > matter for you. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Nov 14 20:49:07 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fAF1n7b80524 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:49:07 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from server1.ufp.org (server1.ufp.org [207.126.124.34]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fAF1n6u80519; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:49:07 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news@server1.ufp.org) Received: (from news@localhost) by server1.ufp.org (8.11.6/8.11.3) id fAELmaU09215; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:48:36 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news) Lines: 25 X-Admin: news@aol.com From: knudsen546@aol.comERASEMME (Knudsen) X-Newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg Date: 15 Nov 2001 01:46:44 GMT References: Organization: AOL http://www.aol.com Subject: TMBG: Re: The Definitive They CD Message-ID: <20011114204644.17814.00003163@mb-fx.aol.com> To: alt-music-tmbg@tmbg.org.tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: knudsen546@aol.comERASEMME (Knudsen) > Wow, you guys have no ears! How can you disgraceTMBG by listening to their >>albums in a shitty compressed format... oh well, if you're def I guess it >won't >>matter for you. > >Oh please, there is no discernible difference, Like I said, def. Anyone with any interest in high-quality audio can easily here the degrading effect of compression. Even at higher bitrates, the loss is too great for my taste (then again, I'm an audio engineer). CD's were a bad enough step down from high-quality vinyl, now we're pushing towards crappier and crappier compressed formats. If you really can't hear the difference, you need to go to an ear doc and get some tests, you may be shocked at hom much high-frequency hearing loss you have. --- http://www.poshy.ipfox.com Order your Poshy CD today! Samples of all tracks on the site! The 2nd alt.music.4-track compilation 2-CD set "GEAR ADDICTS ANONYMOUS" is available for order. Check it out: http://xpub.com/AM4T/ From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Nov 14 20:51:07 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fAF1p7d80642 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:51:07 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from server1.ufp.org (server1.ufp.org [207.126.124.34]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fAF1p7u80636; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:51:07 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news@server1.ufp.org) Received: (from news@localhost) by server1.ufp.org (8.11.6/8.11.3) id fAELpYH09229; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:51:34 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news) Lines: 21 X-Admin: news@aol.com From: knudsen546@aol.comERASEMME (Knudsen) X-Newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg Date: 15 Nov 2001 01:49:35 GMT References: <20011114123905.9022.GIMMESPAM@yahoo.com> Organization: AOL http://www.aol.com Subject: TMBG: Re: The Definitive They CD Message-ID: <20011114204935.17814.00003164@mb-fx.aol.com> To: alt-music-tmbg@tmbg.org.tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: knudsen546@aol.comERASEMME (Knudsen) >If the MP3 is compressed at a decent bitrate, it's hard to tell the >difference, especially if you're listening in your car with the windows >rolled down. In the context of a car, everything sounds like shit. Real music fans don't do 100% of their listening in the car. Only phony brainwashed pop culture WHORES! I advise that anyone addicted to car listening needs to go to a live performance of the Mahler 8. --- http://www.poshy.ipfox.com Order your Poshy CD today! Samples of all tracks on the site! The 2nd alt.music.4-track compilation 2-CD set "GEAR ADDICTS ANONYMOUS" is available for order. Check it out: http://xpub.com/AM4T/ From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Nov 14 20:51:07 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fAF1p7F80658 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:51:07 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from server1.ufp.org (server1.ufp.org [207.126.124.34]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fAF1p7u80640; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:51:07 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news@server1.ufp.org) Received: (from news@localhost) by server1.ufp.org (8.11.6/8.11.3) id fAELpFR09225; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 16:51:15 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news) From: ChessPieceFace X-Newsgroups: alt.music.tmbg Subject: TMBG: Re: True thoughts on I Might Be Giants Message-ID: <2j76vtkkq0a7sshbstat142cmi7hmnc8i5@4ax.com> References: <262a21d.0111130823.680c64a3@posting.google.com> <6d7W3NB2Md87Ewj9@wezland.demon.co.uk> X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.8/32.548 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Lines: 15 Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:50:21 GMT X-Complaints-To: abuse@home.net Organization: Excite@Home - The Leader in Broadband http://home.com/faster To: alt-music-tmbg@tmbg.org.tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: ChessPieceFace I certainly hope not. But people on newsgroups tend to be defensive, and impervious to satire--so you never know. Destin On Wed, 14 Nov 2001 02:13:10 +0000, simon wrote: >In article <262a21d.0111130823.680c64a3@posting.google.com>, HiGDaLO > writes >>I had my friend make me a mix tape of The Might Be Giants the other >>week and here's what I have to ask:: > >Am I the only one who thinks this is a joke? From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Nov 14 21:13:37 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fAF2DbK81391 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:13:37 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from omni.cc.purdue.edu (omni.cc.purdue.edu [128.210.10.14]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fAF2Dbu81383 for ; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:13:37 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from coon@omni.cc.purdue.edu) Received: (from coon@localhost) by omni.cc.purdue.edu (8.9.3/8.9.3) id VAA09622 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:13:36 -0500 (EST) From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <200111150213.VAA09622@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The Definitive They CD To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org (tmbg) Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:13:36 -0500 (EST) In-Reply-To: <20011114204935.17814.00003164@mb-fx.aol.com> from "Knudsen" at Nov 15, 2001 01:49:35 am X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL24] Content-Type: text Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Matthew Coon > I advise that anyone addicted to car listening needs to go to a live > performance of the Mahler 8. > I couldn't agree more! In fact, I was just listening to a live performance of it today, on a CD, in my car. m@t From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Nov 14 22:05:31 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fAF35Vq82646 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:05:31 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from nyc.rr.com (nycsmtp1fb.rdc-nyc.rr.com [24.29.99.76]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fAF35Uu82638 for ; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:05:30 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from adam@damek.org) Received: (apparently) from Big ([66.65.87.97]) by nyc.rr.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(5.5.1877.357.35); Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:05:28 -0500 Message-ID: <000f01c16d82$5f4fdcd0$6401a8c0@Big> From: "Adam Piontek" To: "Tasty Mustard Becoming Green" References: <20011114204644.17814.00003163@mb-fx.aol.com> Subject: TMBG: Re: Re: The Definitive They CD Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:05:23 -0500 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Adam Piontek" Anyone interested in MP3 for audiophiles should check out www.r3mix.net Personally, I'm no audiophile, but their methods definitely make a difference to my ears. .Adam ----- Original Message ----- From: "Knudsen" To: Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 8:46 PM Subject: TMBG: Re: The Definitive They CD > > Wow, you guys have no ears! How can you disgraceTMBG by listening to their > >>albums in a shitty compressed format... oh well, if you're def I guess it > >won't > >>matter for you. > > > >Oh please, there is no discernible difference, > > Like I said, def. Anyone with any interest in high-quality audio can > easily here the degrading effect of compression. Even at higher bitrates, the > loss is too great for my taste (then again, I'm an audio engineer). CD's were a > bad enough step down from high-quality vinyl, now we're pushing towards > crappier and crappier compressed formats. If you really can't hear the > difference, you need to go to an ear doc and get some tests, you may be shocked > at hom much high-frequency hearing loss you have. > > > --- > http://www.poshy.ipfox.com > Order your Poshy CD today! Samples of all tracks on the site! > > The 2nd alt.music.4-track compilation 2-CD set > "GEAR ADDICTS ANONYMOUS" > is available for order. Check it out: http://xpub.com/AM4T/ > > > From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Nov 15 01:08:46 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fAF68kc87209 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:08:46 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from uwns.underworld.net (postfix@uwns.underworld.net [209.48.190.43]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fAF68ku87201 for ; Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:08:46 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from insanity@uwns.underworld.net) Received: from uwns (uwns [209.48.190.43]) by uwns.underworld.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id E8A7787B69 for ; Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:08:45 -0500 (EST) Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:08:45 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler To: Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: The Definitive They CD In-Reply-To: <20011114204644.17814.00003163@mb-fx.aol.com> Message-ID: <20011115010525.W44965-100000@uwns.underworld.net> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Kevin Keeler While illl assume what you say is true (i can also easily hear a difference up until the 320k range), the hints of your pompous attitude make me wince. I'm not trying to start a flamewar, honest. for anyone who thinks there's no discernible difference, convert some of your mp3s to wav files, burn them to a cd, and listen to them on headfones. then compare to a cd. I can almost guarantee you'll hear a difference, unless you're using the fones that came with your pocket-rockers. i haven't read the rest of this thread, but so help me god if y'all are talking about vinyl vs. cds now, i am so unsubscribing. (no, thats not a threat, just a an announcement :p ) --kevin On 15 Nov 2001, Knudsen wrote: > > Wow, you guys have no ears! How can you disgraceTMBG by listening to their > >>albums in a shitty compressed format... oh well, if you're def I guess it > >won't > >>matter for you. > > > >Oh please, there is no discernible difference, > > Like I said, def. Anyone with any interest in high-quality audio can > easily here the degrading effect of compression. Even at higher bitrates, the > loss is too great for my taste (then again, I'm an audio engineer). CD's were a > bad enough step down from high-quality vinyl, now we're pushing towards > crappier and crappier compressed formats. If you really can't hear the > difference, you need to go to an ear doc and get some tests, you may be shocked > at hom much high-frequency hearing loss you have. > > > --- > http://www.poshy.ipfox.com > Order your Poshy CD today! Samples of all tracks on the site! > > The 2nd alt.music.4-track compilation 2-CD set > "GEAR ADDICTS ANONYMOUS" > is available for order. Check it out: http://xpub.com/AM4T/ > > > From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Nov 15 01:23:08 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fAF6N8X87636 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:23:08 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from server1.ufp.org (server1.ufp.org [207.126.124.34]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fAF6N7u87630 for ; Thu, 15 Nov 2001 01:23:07 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news@server1.ufp.org) Received: (from news@localhost) by server1.ufp.org (8.11.6/8.11.3) id fAF2NQd17479 for tmbg-list-majordom@tmbg.org; Wed, 14 Nov 2001 21:23:26 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from news) From: "wolfie180g" X-Newsgroups: tmbg.list Subject: TMBG: does it work yet? Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 00:21:46 -0600 Organization: They Might Be Giants Fan Club Lines: 5 Message-ID: <9sv8uu$h24$2@server1.ufp.org> X-Complaints-To: news@tmbg.org X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "wolfie180g" hi -wolfie ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #47-14 ******************************