Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #47-16 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 47, Number 16 Saturday, 17 November 2001 Today's Topics: TMBG: Unlimited, to be or not to be... Re: TMBG: Help!!! Re: TMBG: November Unlimited Predictions Re: TMBG: Unlimited, to be or not to be... TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: Victim of Record Collecting Re: TMBG: Victim of Record Collecting RE: TMBG: November Unlimited, message from linnell? RE: TMBG: Victim of Record Collecting TMBG: What Secret Track? TMBG: Re: What Secret Track? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "AugieWan" Subject: TMBG: Unlimited, to be or not to be... Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 02:24:20 -0500 Message-ID: OK, I know that there has been a lot of talk about the TMBG Unlimited being done and over at the end of this year, but I personally don't remember actually seeing anything say that officially. I also don't understand why "They" would still be advertising it on eMusic and their own sites and pushing for their fans to sign up if they knew they were going to ending it in another month. Again, I may have overlooked something from them that confirmed the end of the Unlimited program, so please straighten me out! Augie "say it isn't so!" Wan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3BF4C1C3.FEEE0F68@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:35:58 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: Re: TMBG: Help!!! Nathan Mulac DeHoff (regarding my idea to offer copies of the entire TMBG UnLtd collection to all that want them because so much of it was non exclusive and flawed) wrote: > > And you would consider stealing to be fair in this situation? That's > awfully harsh, isn't it? In general, I agree that sharing the files would sort of be like "stealing" but EMusic has "stolen" from ME by locking me into a deal and then giving me less than promised. Also let me ask you this (ALL of you... not just Nathan)... Have you ever heard the studio version of "I'm Sick (of This American Life)"? Did you hear it prior to its release on EMusic? If so, HOW? Did you walk into a record store and pay the $20 for the double CD set "The Best of This American Life" containing monologs and only one song? ...OR... Did you ever hear the full studio version of "Dr. Evil"? Did you buy the "Austin Powers" soundtrack? That's the only way you could have heard it without branding yourself a thief by your own standard. ...OR... Did you ever hear the original version of "Sensurround". Don't say "yes" unless you purchased the "Mighty Morphin' Rangers" soundtrack. ...OR... Have you heard the TMBG version of "25 O'Clock". You better have purchased "Testimonial Dinner" ...OR... Have you ever heard the State Song "Louisiana"? Did you buy the vinyl. Or did you "steal" it? I could go on but I think you get the idea. As for myself, I purchased them all new. How many of you can say that? When I learned of the "Factory Showroom Outtakes" I posted several times that its wrong to have them. Everyone told me to lighten the hell up. Where were you then to back me up Nathan? And consider this: If you purchased any TMBG CD USED you have ripped off everyone involved from the artists to the label. The only one who profits from the sale of a used CD is the retailer. And what about songs that are now out of print like "Welcome to the Jungle". Are they off limits? I'm sure that a lot of you will note that the bootlegger's code of ethics says it okay to trade songs that are out of print as long as its not for profit. I've always agreed with that. In six weeks from now, if TMBG UnLtd is no longer available, doesn't it fall into the "out of print" category? Even if I didn't have a score to settle with EMusic, wouldn't all of the recordings be fair game on January 1 anyway? > > > > A free year? Is that ALL? While you're at it, why not demand that TMBG > > > play a private concert for every subscriber? > > > > I think that's very reasonable. > > The free year, or the private concert? The free year. > >Assuming that I would never had signed up > >again anyway, It wouldn't be costing EMusic anything. > True, but they'd have to do it for everyone if they did it for you, and some > people might have been planning to sign up again. And that's $120 they'd be > losing for each of those people. Realistically, I don't expect them to send an email out to every TMBG UnLtd subscriber and tell them they've got a free year coming. (Although they should.) At least, I hope they would do something for someone who has written them and presented a reasonable argument. Since none of you have any problem with the service, I'm the only one they'll have to worry about. > Not exactly a good business practice, is > it? Its not a good business practice to give your customers less than what was promised (and to present it in such a sloppy manner.) "Bad word of mouth" is good for business either. What really makes me mad is that so many of these problems could have been prevented with minimal effort. Finally, I want to say that I've gotten a lot of joy out of the TMBG UnLtd service but that doesn't excuse their awful mistakes. Also, I'm still giving EMusic a chance to consider my complaints. I only started writing to them about this a week ago. In the past they have been courteous in their responses and *seem* to care. I'm not optimistic that they'll do so much as admit their mistakes but I got to give them a chance. Have a They day, B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3BF4C4D2.596AB51@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:49:02 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: Re: TMBG: November Unlimited Predictions Matt Breslin wrote: > TMBG Unlimited November is still NOT UP, but here are some of my predictions > on what we'll get. > > 1. Throwing Snowballs (Is How I Bruised My Eye) > 2. The Thought Of Summers Free > 3. Super Battle For The Planet Of TMBG > > FROM HOLIDAYLAND > 4. Santa's Beard > > 5. Ultimate Battle For The Super Planet of TMBG (remixed by the elegant too) > AND ALL BRAND NEW FROM THE CRYPT DEMOS :O > 6. When I Got The Call I Thought It'd Be A Snowday (demo) > 7. To The Bubblecraft (demo) > 8. No Answer(remixed by the elegant too) > 9. Bad Smelling Pot Anecdote (Extended Version) ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <154.41e32e1.292622e6@aol.com> Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 03:05:58 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Unlimited, to be or not to be... Again, I may have overlooked something from them that confirmed the end of the Unlimited program, so please straighten me out! www.theymightbegiants.com It's on there somewhere. PR Mega [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.20011116220736.0085d750@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 22:07:36 +1100 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: Re: TMBG: Victim of Record Collecting At 11:35 15-11-01 -0800, you wrote: > Also let me ask you this (ALL of you... not just Nathan)... >This American Life" containing monologs and only one song? >the "Austin Powers" soundtrack? That's the only way you could have heard it >"yes" unless you purchased the "Mighty Morphin' Rangers" soundtrack. >purchased "Testimonial Dinner" Heh... I DID buy all that stuff! But then we're all allowed our little obsessions, aren't we? Just a reminder to British and Australian listers: the "Man, It's So Loud In Here" single is out now, look for it in your stores in a distressingly bright canary yellow sleeve. By the way, UK people: what are the tracks on your version? I know you're only allowed three tracks on a single over there, so... which tracks are they? - Ryan PS. I would have the Montana 12" too... if CDNow weren't such a pack of twats. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 11:28:18 +0000 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: Victim of Record Collecting Well I phoned Virgin up and it wasn't released according to them but they are pretty hopeless. I'll go shopping tomorrow and see what I can find and report back. Cheers Richard ~ London, Sheffield, Manchester - 3 days, 3 Cities, 3 TMBG concerts - my 2001 mini TMBG World tour! >>> Ryan Mooney 16/11/01 Just a reminder to British and Australian listers: the "Man, It's So Loud In Here" single is out now, look for it in your stores in a distressingly bright canary yellow sleeve. By the way, UK people: what are the tracks on your version? I know you're only allowed three tracks on a single over there, so... which tracks are they? - Ryan PS. I would have the Montana 12" too... if CDNow weren't such a pack of twats. _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning Service. _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning Service. ------------------------------ From: "jon jenkins" Subject: RE: TMBG: November Unlimited, message from linnell? Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:46:41 -0500 Message-ID: Where is the message from Linnell? I don't see it anywhere. could someone post it? Jon >From: "Lee Steel" >Reply-To: "Lee Steel" >To: "'AugieWan'" , "'Them People'" > >Subject: RE: TMBG: November Unlimited >Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 22:23:20 -0500 > >I can't download any of the songs. It keeps telling me that the page is >currently unavailable > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On >Behalf Of AugieWan >Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 10:30 PM >To: Them People >Subject: RE: TMBG: November Unlimited > > >Well, since the links next to the songs (that are supposed to bring you to >the "album" page where you can choose to download the whole album via >FreeAmp) are messed up, I did a little hunting and figured out the link. >It's http://www.emusic.com/rmp/30138.rmp > >They'll probably have it all fixed by the time I post this, so I'll look >like an idiot, but that's nothing new... :) > >Augie "wants more demos and less live stuff, grrrr" Wan > >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On >Behalf Of Matt Breslin >Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2001 6:53 PM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: November Unlimited > > >November Unlimited is up. www.emusic.com/features/tmbg >The message at the top is from Linnell this time! It has really really >primative demos of some songs. The first song "Tiny Duckers" sounds like a >really old Linnell demo and you can hear his dog barking at the end heheh. >Go download it all now now now! > >_________________________________________________________________ >Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp > > > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Subject: RE: TMBG: Victim of Record Collecting Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:38:00 -0500 Message-ID: From: "Karin Highfield" Ryan sez: >PS. I would have the Montana 12" too... if CDNow weren't such a pack of >twats. That's okay, Ryan, size really isn't important.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ From: "Dan Brosnan" Subject: TMBG: What Secret Track? Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 04:00:22 +0000 Message-ID: Just curious- What is the Secret track on the new UNLTD that Linnell couldn't say in his message? dan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000a01c16f1c$f5053090$912f2782@gorf> From: "John David Crafton" Subject: TMBG: Re: What Secret Track? Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 22:04:25 -0600 coke ad. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Brosnan" To: Sent: Friday, November 16, 2001 10:00 PM Subject: TMBG: What Secret Track? > Just curious- What is the Secret track on the new UNLTD that Linnell > couldn't say in his message? > > dan > > > > _________________________________________________________________ > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp > _________________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #47-16 ******************************