Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #47-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 47, Number 22 Friday, 23 November 2001 Today's Topics: EMusic Quality Debate Continues (was: "Re: TMBG: Help!!!") Re: TMBG: John Hart TMBG: Mink Car differences TMBG: McGyver Lyrics? Re: TMBG: John Hart TMBG: RE: 12 step program Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3BFCABA5.636F6844@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 23:39:22 -0800 From: Gary Organization: None Subject: EMusic Quality Debate Continues (was: "Re: TMBG: Help!!!") Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Bongo: > > > In general, I agree that sharing the files would sort of be like > >"stealing" but EMusic has "stolen" from ME by locking me into a deal and > >then > >giving me less than promised. > > Maybe you could clear up how you got "less than promised." I have to do some research on what their original pitch was. I need to see if they wrote something like, "You'll get several TMBG songs each month. All exclusive!" or if they said something like, "You'll get several TMBG songs each month. Many of which exclusive!" In my correspondence with EMusic I haven't brought up content yet. Only quality.) > While technical > glitches are annoying, I don't recall eMusic ever promising that there > wouldn't be any. C'mon now... Do you own stock in EMusic or something? McDonald's doesn't promise you that there won't be maggots in their Quarter Pounders either but there are some thing you expect a business to take efforts to prevent. If they do occur, you expect them be concerned and eager to correct them. > In fact, there have been repeated warnings that the > quality was far from perfect. I recall only the one for The Flood Show. I'd appreciate if you could tell me for which months/songs these disclaimers occurred. (Although, I have to warn you that if you do, you'll be helping in my case against EMusic.) And if any one can send me any of the actual text noting such disclaimers, I'd appreciate it. Another thing is that most of the quality problems seem NOT to be in the masters (even when EMusic claims that they are.) I really doubt EMusic or TMBG were aware of most of these problems. In the case of The Flood Show someone on the tmbg usenet group gave me a very realistic explanation of how the problems could have occurred but I have reason to believe the problem isn't in the original recording. > > I agree that they overdid it, but, once again, I can't see how eMusic broke > any promises for doing this. I mean, they advertised the service as > including Mink Car previews, so you can't exactly fault them for including > these. > Again, I need to look at the original sales pitches. Even if they did indicate there would be non exclusive tracks, that doesn't mean we shouldn't complain. To me its a matter of how clearly they conveyed the info. If they misled us and we aren't happy about it, they should be concerned. > > Should this material be made available to people > who couldn't get it through eMusic, for various reasons (not a fan yet, > unaware of the service, no Internet access, not enough money to afford the > whole Unlimited package, etc.)? I definitely think it should be. On the > other hand, do I want other people getting for free what some of us paid > $120 for? Yeah, that bugged me too at first. Its going to be impossible to know who was a legit subscriber. One fan offered to make CD versions of LTW for subscribers without burners. He was asking that you send him track times or files sizes of the mp3s but now that the times are on tmbg.org's discography, that won't work. A couple months into TMBG UnLtd, I predicted that we are all going to buy many of the exclusive tracks again. That really wasn't a complaint towards EMusic. I never expected the exclusivity to be permanent. (One day I hope we'll see some TMBG rarities CDs available.) However, I was annoyed at, for example, the fact so many McSweeney's tracks showed up a month or two before and even a month AFTER the release of the CD/book. Someone should have figured that anyone liking TMBG enough to spend $120 on TMBG UnLtd, would most likely have purchased the $25 McSweeney's book. (If the "No!" CD had been released as originally scheduled that would have been the same situation.) I want to explain that I don't have a problem with alternate versions or demos of previously released songs being on EMusic (even if there is only a minor difference.) Even though I would prefer new stuff, I do consider them exclusives and I'm glad to have the opportunity to hear them. Also, I may be giving the impression that I'm unhappy with everything about UnLtd when in fact its brought me a LOT of joy throughout the year. Still, that doesn't excuse the problems. I'm doing *everyone* involved a favor by bringing attention these problems: myself, fans of TMBG, EMusic and the band itself. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3BFCD5FA.207C9674@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 02:40:10 -0800 From: Gary Organization: None Subject: Re: TMBG: John Hart garrett27@juno.com wrote: > Someone sent me an email with a list of men who had signed the > Declaration of Independence and supposedly what had happened to > them....one particular name caught my attention: > > John Hart ... That's no coincidence! It seems that's the specific reason why Linnell chose "Johnny Hart" as his "Olive the Other Reindeer" pseudonym. He said in an interview that he's always had a fascination with The Declaration of Independence. In fact he's been writing a concept album based on all of those that signed the document. I heard a demo of its title track it goes something like this: The Signers of the Declaration! The Signers of the Declaration! The time has come for us to sing About a historical situation When colonists were under control Of a tyrannical British rule The Signers of the Declaration! The Signers of the Declaration! No two alike but each connected by a golden quill I'll try not to forget all of the signatories And leave that job to all those that teach history The Signers of the Declaration! The Signers of the Declaration! ( ... and I forget how the rest goes.) Obviously, I made that up. I hold those lies to be self evident. But now I'm telling the truth. I'm finished with lies. Here's my true opinion: Linnell most likely chose the name "Johnny Hart" as an homage to the man who wrote "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer". His name was Johnny Marks. (But considering that Linnell has an interest in U.S. history, it seems possible the historical John Hart was also a factor.) ____________________________________________________________________________ And now trivia question relating to this thread: Name a man who's name appears both on The Declaration of Independence and in a TMBG song? ____________________________________________________________________________ -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: "- -" Subject: TMBG: Mink Car differences Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 14:36:58 +0000 Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: "Kate Sith" Subject: TMBG: McGyver Lyrics? Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 13:02:23 -0500 Message-ID: ^_^ Another lyric request from Kate! ^^ Could someone post the lyrics to "All McGyver On It"? Thanks! -Kate Sith Queen of Spades TMBG Ambassador to the State of Michigan Keeper of Ewan McGregor's Smile * ------------------------------------------------------------ "I'm gonna die if you touch me one more time Well, I guess that I'm gonna die no matter what." -J. Linnell "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." -The Magical Sitar "This pig-shaped bush frightens and confuses me." -G. Threepwood _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 13:14:03 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: John Hart Well, it could have also been Johnny Hart, Jesus-crazed cartoonist, or John Hart, former General Manager of the CLEVELAND INDIANS and current general manager of the Texas Rangers. DRW Would you mind if we balanced this glass of milk? [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] When you find that 12 step program, can your forward the info to me??? Where are you from that people actually know who TMBG is? I have GOT to move there....actually I shouldn't say that; my mother lives in San Francisco and she actually went to a free concert of theirs several years ago( I HATE HER!!)lol... Jenn ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #47-22 ******************************