Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #47-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 47, Number 4 Monday, 5 November 2001 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show TMBG: instrumental songs Re: TMBG: instrumental songs Re: TMBG: instrumental songs Re: TMBG: instrumental songs Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 12:51:30 EST From: NitpickR@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show Message-ID: <4c.120ddc2.2916da22@aol.com> Hello 41- Afroman - Afroman was good, and I'll give you three reasons why. #1 - Most TMBG fans didn't like him/them. Any band that makes you shake your head in disbelief is a good one. #2 - It's cool that TMBG had a novelty act open for them. I'm really sick of the same kind of indie rock bands open for TMBG time after time. A mostly-black novelty group was a breath of fresh air. #3 - Their hit single is an anti-drug song. There need to be more mostly-black novelty bands that do anti-drug songs for their hit single. I've got a fang, and TMBG dedicated the song to me. Those with fangs unite! ~Adam ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 21:17:49 -0500 (EST) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show Message-ID: During the show I really hated the Moldy Peaches... like they were extremely painful... However, I will say that they made me laugh a few times... not in the way I think they would want me to, but just at the pure absurdity and horribleness of what they were doing... So yeah... thought I would mention that... I actually left the front (very odd for me) after Moldy Peaches and was sitting upstairs during Afroman so it wasn't quite as painful. My brief Philly show report would be: Good show... solid... its a little disappointing how repetative Flans tends to be in terms of trying to do the exact same gimmicks at every show (they lose some humor over time... but I do understand that for a lot of people this was their only time seeing them this tour). I also was disappointed that Flans skipped some fairly popular stuff during Spin the Dial (including With or Without You by U2 if I remember correctly)... -- Jish TMBG.net and the EFnet #TMBG Home Page http://www.tmbg.net/ "If you and I had any brains, we wouldn't be in this place" - John Linnell On Sun, 4 Nov 2001 BethJE@aol.com wrote: > I was kind of interested by the Moldy Peaches. Some of their songs were cool > and some were less so, but I think they were fun to watch. > > > Beth > I guess, for the Town Hall show, I won't have to expect an X-rated version of > Wonderful Tonight. > > > > > The opening acts were NIGHTMARES. If you are going to the Town Hall show > on > > the 16th you are seeing Moldy Peaches and they are a NIGHTMARE. It was > > torture. I was actually expecting Afroman to be better... but he was > torture > > times 4. TMBG was good. The opening acts were not. I am currently in the > > process of blacking Moldy Peaches out of my memory :( > ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 03:02:54 +0000 Message-ID: Adam: >Afroman - Afroman was good, and I'll give you three reasons why. > >#1 - Most TMBG fans didn't like him/them. Gee, I wonder why not. >Any band that makes you shake your head in disbelief is a good one. I don't see that that necessarily makes sense. Maybe for five minutes until the novelty wears off, but... >#2 - It's cool that TMBG had a novelty act open for them. I'm really sick >of the same kind of indie rock bands open for TMBG time after time. Well, I'd say Moldy Peaches were pretty much a novelty act, too. I mean, what would YOU call them? I really haven't been to enough shows to know anything about these "same kind of indie rock bands," but I'm guessing you're talking about groups like OKGo and You Were Spiraling. The openers I've seen (not counting Sapphire Bullets and Friday night's openers) were Gravel Pit, Doughty, and Muckafurgason, and they weren't much like each other at all. >#3 - Their hit single is an anti-drug song. There need to be more >mostly-black novelty bands that do anti-drug songs for their hit single. Is there some official statement that "Because I Got High" is an ANTI-drug song? Maybe I'd be more likely to accept that if he hadn't been drinking the whole time, and all his other songs weren't about smoking marijuana (or sex, but that's another story). Besides, regardless of the song's intent, it sucks. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Kate Sith" Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 22:11:56 -0500 Message-ID: I don't see it as an anti-drug song. I see it as a song that mocks anti-drug songs. It's basically saying that every little thing that went wrong in his life happened because he got high, and that's not the way it really works. I actually like the song, because it makes me laugh, and because I'm sick of anti-drug songs. Then again, I like everything. ^_^ *doesn't even know why she jumped in* *should be ignored* -Kate Sith Queen of Spades TMBG Ambassador to the State of Michigan Keeper of Ewan McGregor's Smile * ------------------------------------------------------------ "I'm gonna die if you touch me one more time Well, I guess that I'm gonna die no matter what." -J. Linnell "The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return." -The Magical Sitar "This pig-shaped bush frightens and confuses me." -G. Threepwood >Is there some official statement that "Because I Got High" is an ANTI-drug >song? Maybe I'd be more likely to accept that if he hadn't been drinking >the whole time, and all his other songs weren't about smoking marijuana (or >sex, but that's another story). Besides, regardless of the song's intent, >it sucks. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <48.12a17e8.29176163@aol.com> Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 22:28:35 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show In a message dated 11/4/2001 10:03:29 PM Eastern Standard Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > >#3 - Their hit single is an anti-drug song. There need to be more > >mostly-black novelty bands that do anti-drug songs for their hit single. > > Is there some official statement that "Because I Got High" is an ANTI-drug > song? Maybe I'd be more likely to accept that if he hadn't been drinking > the whole time, and all his other songs weren't about smoking marijuana (or > sex, but that's another story). Besides, regardless of the song's intent, > Although on the surface "Because I Got High" sounds like a cautionary tale preaching against smoking pot, if you listen to the way it's done, it's obvious that Afroman and his crew aren't at all serious; he sounds just like a guy pretending to apologize to his woman for screwing up, all the while winking at his buddies as if to say, "But damn, it was worth it!" Compare it to a song like "Drink," in which Flans's lyrics and delivery are dripping with sarcasm and contempt for his overly-inebriated friend. Besides, "Because I Got High" is played at the end of Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, and Jay and Silent Bob even appear in the video...and anyone who thinks that Kevin Smith would do that if the song was seriously anti-drug doesn't know Kevin Smith's work Kay [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] Adam: > Afroman - Afroman was good, and I'll give you three reasons why. > > #1 - Most TMBG fans didn't like him/them. Any band that makes you shake > your head in disbelief is a good one. Well, I have to admit that I found the audience's disbelief humorous. > #2 - It's cool that TMBG had a novelty act open for them. I'm really sick > of the same kind of indie rock bands open for TMBG time after time. A mostly- > black novelty group was a breath of fresh air. Hmm, Afroman is a novelty act to us in the sense that he's really new and unusual as a TMBG opener. On the other hand, I don't think he or any of his fans would consider him a novelty act. To me, the whole thing seemed kind of like a joke, but I would never say that to him or his ten person entourage. I think that his music probably isn't all that different from anything else in its, err, genre. And fans of that kind of thing probably consider it valid. > #3 - Their hit single is an anti-drug song. There need to be more mostly- > black novelty bands that do anti-drug songs for their hit single. I really don't think that it's an anti-drug song. His attitude isn't, "I wrecked my life, because I got high," it's more like, "ha ha ha, isn't that funny? Mmmm pot!" But you don't have to take my word for it... just go back and read what Kaylum and Kate Sith wrote, while I was typing this. But yeah, all his other songs were about pot (see "roll roll roll a joint") and sex (see that X-rated version of Wonderful Tonight ). Beth I think his act bordered on hilarious and frightening, but that's just me. I gotta say that he was more memorable than a lot of the other openers I've seen (YWS, OKGo, etc.). And the Moldy Peaches weren't so bad. The more I think back, the more I liked them. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Nov 5 00:35:10 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fA55ZAh48539 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 5 Nov 2001 00:35:10 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from m12.boston.juno.com (m12.boston.juno.com [64.136.24.75]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fA55Z9N48531 for ; Mon, 5 Nov 2001 00:35:09 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from normallikeyou@juno.com) Received: from cookie.juno.com by cookie.juno.com for <"aTKMV39HXgTqf8tAfEquBPwioWAQPUAj+5sq4/BNkT+wa4unUw/VbcJJMHbFhEyv"> Received: (from normallikeyou@juno.com) by m12.boston.juno.com (queuemail) id GKF64LYX; Mon, 05 Nov 2001 00:35:01 EST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 23:35:05 -0700 Subject: TMBG: instrumental songs Message-ID: <20011104.233508.-536847.0.normallikeyou@juno.com> X-Mailer: Juno 4.0.11 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-1,4-5,9-12 X-Juno-Att: 0 X-Juno-RefParts: 0 From: Daniel A Kelley Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Daniel A Kelley hey all, i have a challenge for you guys. no, you don't win a prize or anything, cuz i don't have anything to give! haha... but i was thinking about this today... how many songs does tmbg have that are instrumentals? so, i'd like anyone who gives a rats ass to name as many instrumentals by tmbg as you can think of... and i'm not really thinking old demo versions before there were words really count... but if you feel the urge, go ahead and name those too :-) i'm curious to know what everyone comes up with! daniel ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Nov 5 00:52:05 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fA55q5c48908 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 5 Nov 2001 00:52:05 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from uwns.underworld.net (postfix@uwns.underworld.net [209.48.190.43]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fA55q5N48900 for ; Mon, 5 Nov 2001 00:52:05 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from insanity@uwns.underworld.net) Received: from uwns (uwns [209.48.190.43]) by uwns.underworld.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id AEEFC87B9B for ; Mon, 5 Nov 2001 00:52:03 -0500 (EST) Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 00:52:03 -0500 (EST) From: Kevin Keeler To: Subject: Re: TMBG: instrumental songs In-Reply-To: <20011104.233508.-536847.0.normallikeyou@juno.com> Message-ID: <20011105004927.V96765-100000@uwns.underworld.net> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Kevin Keeler It's been 5 minutes, and no one else is jumping in, so I'll have a sleepy go at it: spacesuit, lady is a tramp*, jessica*, STD theme, LTW theme(?) yeh .. thats all that hits me immediately. two of those aren't (c) TMBG, and one may not even exist ( I Admit it .. LTW doesn't get played all that often here) ... but yep. now hit me with the wave of songs i forgot --kevin On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Daniel A Kelley wrote: > hey all, > > i have a challenge for you guys. no, you don't win a prize or anything, > cuz i don't have anything to give! haha... but i was thinking about this > today... how many songs does tmbg have that are instrumentals? > > so, i'd like anyone who gives a rats ass to name as many instrumentals by > tmbg as you can think of... and i'm not really thinking old demo versions > before there were words really count... but if you feel the urge, go > ahead and name those too :-) > > i'm curious to know what everyone comes up with! > > daniel > ________________________________________________________________ > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/. > From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Nov 5 01:10:03 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fA56A3w49405 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 5 Nov 2001 01:10:03 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-r06.mx.aol.com (imo-r06.mx.aol.com [152.163.225.102]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fA56A2N49397 for ; Mon, 5 Nov 2001 01:10:02 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from Kaylum@aol.com) Received: from Kaylum@aol.com by imo-r06.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v31_r1.8.) id i.cc.12c4820 (4552) for ; Mon, 5 Nov 2001 01:09:58 -0500 (EST) From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 01:09:58 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: instrumental songs To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_cc.12c4820.29178736_boundary" X-Mailer: AOL 6.0 for Windows US sub 10535 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Kaylum@aol.com --part1_cc.12c4820.29178736_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit The Long Tall Weekend instrumental is called "Drinkin." There's also a TMBG Unlimited theme. There are a few instrumentals that have only been heard at shows (one that comes to mind is "Triboro," which got a bit of airplay on Malcolm in the Middle," I think, and their cover of "Frankenstien." Then there's "Empty Bottle Collector" from the WUFTM ep. And although they do sing "La la's" in it, I count "Siftin" as an instrumental. They've also covered "Ram On" as an instrumental for the Paul McCartney tribute (and also released on TMBG Unlimited). And, finally, there's *lots* of instrumental stuff on the McSweeny's cd. That's about it for me...anyone else think of anything I missed? Kay --part1_cc.12c4820.29178736_boundary Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit The Long Tall Weekend instrumental is called "Drinkin."  There's also a TMBG Unlimited theme.  There are a few instrumentals that have only been heard at shows (one that comes to mind is "Triboro," which got a bit of airplay on Malcolm in the Middle," I think, and their cover of "Frankenstien."  Then there's "Empty Bottle Collector" from the WUFTM ep.  And although they do sing "La la's" in it, I count "Siftin" as an instrumental.  They've also covered "Ram On" as an instrumental for the Paul McCartney tribute (and also released on TMBG Unlimited).  And, finally, there's *lots* of instrumental stuff on the McSweeny's cd.  That's about it for me...anyone else think of anything I missed?

Kay
--part1_cc.12c4820.29178736_boundary-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Nov 5 01:22:21 2001 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id fA56MLu49800 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 5 Nov 2001 01:22:21 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from ussdefiant.ufp.org (ussdefiant.ufp.org [209.249.50.19]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id fA56MKN49792 for ; Mon, 5 Nov 2001 01:22:20 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from mitcharf@tmbg.org) Received: from mg02.austin.ibm.com (mg02.austin.ibm.com [192.35.232.12]) by ussdefiant.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id WAA16401 for ; Sun, 4 Nov 2001 22:22:19 -0800 (PST) Received: from austin.ibm.com (netmail2.austin.ibm.com [9.3.7.139]) by mg02.austin.ibm.com (AIX4.3/8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id AAA15150 for ; Mon, 5 Nov 2001 00:29:48 -0600 Received: from mitcharf.austin.ibm.com (mitcharf.austin.ibm.com [9.53.148.114]) by austin.ibm.com (AIX4.3/8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id AAA78160 for ; Mon, 5 Nov 2001 00:22:13 -0600 Received: from tmbg.org (mitcharf.austin.ibm.com [9.53.148.114]) by mitcharf.austin.ibm.com (AIX4.3/8.9.3/8.7-client1.01) with ESMTP id AAA28786 for ; Mon, 5 Nov 2001 00:22:12 -0600 Message-ID: <3BE63014.B8518EA4@tmbg.org> Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 00:22:12 -0600 From: Mitch Harding Organization: AIX kernel support and serviceability X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.76i [en] (X11; U; AIX 4.3) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: instrumental songs References: <20011105004927.V96765-100000@uwns.underworld.net> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Mitch Harding I'm pretty sure "Lady Is A Tramp" features the single lyric "Tramp!". Kevin Keeler wrote: > > It's been 5 minutes, and no one else is jumping in, so I'll have a sleepy > go at it: > > spacesuit, lady is a tramp*, jessica*, STD theme, LTW theme(?) > > yeh .. thats all that hits me immediately. two of those aren't (c) TMBG, > and one may not even exist ( I Admit it .. LTW doesn't get played all that > often here) ... but yep. > > now hit me with the wave of songs i forgot > > --kevin > > On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Daniel A Kelley wrote: > > > hey all, > > > > i have a challenge for you guys. no, you don't win a prize or anything, > > cuz i don't have anything to give! haha... but i was thinking about this > > today... how many songs does tmbg have that are instrumentals? > > > > so, i'd like anyone who gives a rats ass to name as many instrumentals by > > tmbg as you can think of... and i'm not really thinking old demo versions > > before there were words really count... but if you feel the urge, go > > ahead and name those too :-) > > > > i'm curious to know what everyone comes up with! > > > > daniel > > ________________________________________________________________ > > GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! > > Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! > > Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: > > http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/. > > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #47-4 *****************************