Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #47-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 47, Number 5 Tuesday, 6 November 2001 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: instrumental songs Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show Re: TMBG: instrumental songs TMBG: More news for Australians - speaking of crappy opening bands... TMBG: Oh, and... TMBG: TMBG Australian tour dates! Re: NON-TMBG: Listening... Re: TMBG: instrumental songs TMBG: pizza hut Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #47-4 TMBG: 9:30 club TMBG: instrumentals Re: TMBG: 9:30 club Re: TMBG: Those letters everyone was grumbling about Re: TMBG: instrumental songs Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show Re: TMBG: Openers Re: TMBG: instrumental songs Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: instrumental songs Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 07:05:49 +0000 Message-ID: Mitch: >I'm pretty sure "Lady Is A Tramp" features the single lyric "Tramp!". It does, but it's just a sample, and I think it basically still counts as an instrumental. "Minimum Wage" is basically instrumental, aside from the two or three words (depending on whether or not you count "heyaah!" as a word) at the beginning. "The Famous Polka," while not an instrumental in its recorded version, usually is when performed live. There are two instrumental State Songs (Illinois and Mississippi), as well as the largely instrumental "Pennsylvania," and two Mono Puff instrumentals: "Guitar Was The Case" and "To Serve Mankind." (TSM had sampled vocals, but I don't think they count as lyrics.) Hello the Band did "Sodium Mask." I guess that's about all. >Kevin Keeler wrote: > > > > It's been 5 minutes, and no one else is jumping in, so I'll have a >sleepy > > go at it: > > > > spacesuit, lady is a tramp*, jessica*, STD theme, LTW theme(?) > > > > yeh .. thats all that hits me immediately. two of those aren't (c) TMBG, > > and one may not even exist ( I Admit it .. LTW doesn't get played all >that > > often here) ... but yep. > > > > now hit me with the wave of songs i forgot > > > > --kevin > > > > On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Daniel A Kelley wrote: > > > > > hey all, > > > > > > i have a challenge for you guys. no, you don't win a prize or >anything, > > > cuz i don't have anything to give! haha... but i was thinking about >this > > > today... how many songs does tmbg have that are instrumentals? > > > > > > so, i'd like anyone who gives a rats ass to name as many instrumentals >by > > > tmbg as you can think of... and i'm not really thinking old demo >versions > > > before there were words really count... but if you feel the urge, go > > > ahead and name those too :-) > > > > > > i'm curious to know what everyone comes up with! -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 07:08:38 +0000 Message-ID: Beth: > > #2 - It's cool that TMBG had a novelty act open for them. I'm really >sick > > of the same kind of indie rock bands open for TMBG time after time. A >mostly- > > black novelty group was a breath of fresh air. > >Hmm, Afroman is a novelty act to us in the sense that he's really new and >unusual as a TMBG opener. On the other hand, I don't think he or any of his >fans would consider him a novelty act. To me, the whole thing seemed kind >of >like a joke, but I would never say that to him or his ten person entourage. > I think that his music probably isn't all that different from anything >else in its, err, genre. And fans of that kind of thing probably consider >it >valid. I would imagine that a greater percentage of the public would see TMBG as a novelty act than would see Afroman as such. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: instrumental songs Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 07:14:54 +0000 Message-ID: Kay: >And although they do >sing "La la's" in it, I count "Siftin" as an instrumental. There's also the repeated word "siftin'". Don't forget about THAT! >And, finally, there's *lots* of instrumental >stuff on the McSweeny's cd. As well as lots of instrumental stuff recorded for "Malcolm in the Middle," as well as for "The Daily Show." And wasn't there something about TMBG doing music for an awards show at one point? Does anyone know if that ever actually happened? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.20011105192041.00812840@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 19:20:41 +1100 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: More news for Australians - speaking of crappy opening bands... Today on JJJ I heard that LAZARO'S DOG, who you might know from their song "Home Entertainment System", have been confirmed as the support band for They Might Be Giants' Australian tour. I hope they aren't as crap live as that novelty single is. And they are the =national= support. Anyone here remember TMBG's 1997 Sydney show, supported by Automatic and The Simpletons? Now they were good support bands. - Ryan ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.20011105192441.00816eb0@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 19:24:41 +1100 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: Oh, and... Did anyone catch the Flans interview on JJJ's "2001" last night? What did he say? Oddly enough, they're playing "Dinner Bell" on JJJ right now. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.20011105192943.00812840@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 19:29:43 +1100 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: TMBG: TMBG Australian tour dates! Hey again, Sorry for the rash of posts, but here are the tour dates... December 5 - The Globe, Perth December 6 or 7 (I didn't catch which) - Heaven, Adelaide December 8 - (The Palace, maybe?), Melbourne December 11 - The Metro, Sydney December 13 - The Arena, Brisbane Hooray! Can't wait to catch the Sydney show, three days after Homebake too! I just saw TISM at the Metro on Friday night; it really is a great venue. - Ryan ------------------------------ From: LimeZinger@aol.com Message-ID: <9f.1dba68ce.2917e48c@aol.com> Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 07:48:12 EST Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: Listening... In a message dated 11/3/01 11:20:20 PM, CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com writes: >So after I got over the Mink Car thing, I listened to Soul Coughing's >Irresitible Bliss non-stop. > >Then I got over that. > >Now I listen to Soul Coughing's El Oso non-stop. the new matthew good band ("audio of being") & sloan ("pretty together") cd's are super. sarah http://glimmer.org/sarah/ "bitch i can't BE any more alert." -- tina fey ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004d01c16614$ff330f80$3a1410ac@avesta.com> From: "Bryce" Subject: Re: TMBG: instrumental songs Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:14:24 -0500 So, to recap... True instrumentals: by TMBG: - Art Mover - Be Kind and Gentle - Budnitz #1 - C-Town - Candy Stripers - Drinkin' (from McSweeney's) - Drinking (from Long Tall Weekend) - Empty Bottle Collector - Frankenstein - Gazing Out Toward - Girls in Their Turning - God's Sister Jessica - Jessica - MOR - Mosh Momken Abadan - Mysterioso (a Malcolm score) - People Died Today - Ram On - Severe Tire Damage Theme - Slow - Space Suit - Stranger (a Malcolm score) - The Life of Doug - Theme from McSweeney's Issue 6 - Theme from Unlimited - Tre Quatro (a Malcolm score) - Triboro - Ultimate Battle for the Planet of the Apes by Mono Puff: - All Things Considered - Guitar was the Case - To Serve Mankind by Linnell: - David Dinkins - Dewitt Clinton - Fiorella LaGuardia - Illinois - John Purroy Michel - Mississippi - 2nd Processional from House of Mayors - 3rd Processional from House of Mayors Pseudo-instrumentals: by TMBG: - The Famous Polka (live) - Hello Radio - Koenigstein - Lady is a Tramp - Minimum Wage - R U Together - Siftin' - Wake Up Call by Linnell: - Pennsylvania Bryce ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 12:22:24 -0500 Subject: TMBG: pizza hut From: elias Message-ID: does anyone know if anything has happened with that pizza hut "twisting" commercial/issue? -e. ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 13:49:32 EST From: NitpickR@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show Message-ID: <37.1d5bf345.2918393c@aol.com> Hello 41- Wow. People were bored enough to respond to something I wrote. Shocking. First time this century. U2 Spin the Dial - Yeah, they didn't do Mysterious Ways either. I asked Flans about it after the show and he said something like "U2 is so tuneless" or something. I then asked him why then he did Bruce the other night in DC. And he said, Bruce is so much fun. Or something. I figure he knows how that works better than I do. Disbelief - <> I still think it's a good thing. I've seen products tested for marketability before, and to make a long story short, the potential buyer was to rate the product's outward apperance on a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being worst, 10 best. That's what they told the person rating it. However, when results came back, the worst a product could score was a 5. They wanted a strong reaction either way. Reasoning like this is why stuff like "Screaming Yellow Zonkers" hit the market. I think the same theory holds true for a lot of other things, Afroman included. Opening Acts - Moldy Peaches were... I don't know what they were. They just were. And while there are cool, and different sounding opening acts like the stuff you mentioned along with Brian Dewan, The Ordinaires, and Soul Coughing, there have been a lot of crappy ones. Including stuff like Okgo and You Were Spiralling that you mentioned, there have been acts like Fat Amy, Lincoln, The Swales, The Decepticons, Mary Prankster, The Chainsaw Kittens, Cub, The Candy Butchers (don't throw stuff at me), and a whole bunch of others that I found to be very blah. Because I Got High - I've listened to that song way too many times in the past 24 hours, and gone to his website and stuff. I still think it's an anti-drug song. It's concealed very well that it's not, but I think it is. << I actually like the song, because it makes me laugh, and because I'm sick of anti-drug songs.>> Sick of anti-drug songs? I don't know what kind of music you listen to, but I think there are a lot more songs that sing the praises of drugs and alcohol than ones that dis it. I also was one of the four people in the crowd that liked when DAS FX opened for TMBG though, so take what I say with a grain of salt. Gee, work is boring today mom! ~Adam ------------------------------ From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Message-ID: <108.7ff9834.29184ba3@aol.com> Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:08:03 EST Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #47-4 In a message dated 11/5/01 7:06:48 AM, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: <> hah, he opened for tmbg?? that is really cool... we deffinitely need to have more cross-pollinating rock shows these days. someone i know was talking about seeing Dead Milkmen, Fishbone and 2 Live Crew "back in the day"... i love crazy bills like that. i'll bet money that afroman will join the ranks of tmbg openers who go on to sell more records in a year or so than they have in 20... even if he is a one hit wonder all the kids seem to love him i do not really love the moldy peaches though but thats just a matter of personal taste la-da-da da da-dada liz ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:18:50 -0500 From: Jennifer CG Nelson Subject: TMBG: 9:30 club yikes, the philly show opener sounds frightening. i liked the one we saw the other day... "sapphire bullets" not bad~ ; ) i had NO IDEA until they took the stage who they "really" were. the 9:30 club, washington DC show was the best giants show i've seen. *PS* does anyone have a set list from that show? i think i have all of the songs, but not in the correct order. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 15:26:26 -0500 From: Jennifer CG Nelson Subject: TMBG: instrumentals what about "famous polka"? ------------------------------ Message-ID: <01ea01c16640$6d9b7810$3a1410ac@avesta.com> From: "Bryce" Subject: Re: TMBG: 9:30 club Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 16:25:42 -0500 Here's the setlist: Space Krickets / Cyclops Rock / Ana Ng / Edith Head / James K. Polk / She's Actual Size / She's an Angel / Drink / Doctor Worm / The Famous Polka / Yeh Yeh / Lie Still, Little Bottle / Doom / Spin the Dial / Older / Why Does the Sun Shine? / Man, It's So Loud In Here / Robot Parade / Shoehorn with Teeth / New York City / Boss of Me / The Guitar / I've Got a Fang / Spy / Bangs / Working Undercover for the Man // S-E-X-X-Y / Fingertips // Pet Name / Dig My Grave It was great to hear Bangs, and Yeh Yeh. Flansburgh didn't go low on the Edith Head vocals, but they used the newer ending. Pet Name is one of my favorite songs, but Linnell left out that syncopated keyboard part, without which it's just not the same. I still managed to enjoy it though. :) Lie Still, Little Bottle featured the Stick, and this was the first time I'd seen them use it. Right as Flans sang "life is a placebo masquerading as a simile," something about the way he was holding it made it seem especially phallic. So much so, in fact, that with his rhythmic thumping and everything I could have sworn I heard another word instead of "masquerading." Ahem. Spin the Dial was mostly misses, but they did hit on a Springsteen song. Flans does a great impression of him. "Jersey Rock!" Then they returned to this song during the pregnant pause in Older. I've Got a Fang rocked like a volcano. It wasn't on the written setlist, they inserted it at runtime because they saw it written on Adam's t-shirt. Speaking of t-shirts, I took five Sapphire Bullets shirts for the band. I hung around after the show, and when Flansburgh came out to work the crowd I intercepted him and gave them to him. He seemed appreciative. And speaking of Sapphire Bullets, they were terriffic. Jared told a great story about how he snuck onto the TMBG tour bus and helped himself to some pizza. There was a little VIP balcony overlooking the stage, and they mistook the people up there for TMBG, and started freaking out. Tyler: "I just want to stand near you, Solder." The Flood set was excellent. My favorite this time was Lucky Ball & Chain; I love what the accordion adds to this song. During Particle Man, A guy dressed as Particle Man started crowd surfing. He landed on me once gravity caught up with him, then rocked out like mad right next to me for the remainder of the song. Unfortunately his Particle Deodorant was no match for his superpowerful Person Odor. Bryce ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3BE73D31.6BDB2E8F@pacificnet.net> Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 17:30:27 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: Re: TMBG: Those letters everyone was grumbling about jon jenkins wrote: > Somone said that the new tmbg.com site was really hard to navigate and that > they couldn't find all those cool letters J&J wrote a few years back. Well, > there's actually a big old link to them on the front page which reads > "Letters from J&J." > Is the one about Linnell's visit to the wax museum on there. I saw it on a fan page years ago. I assume it originally appeared in the info club newsletter. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: instrumental songs Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 01:44:03 +0000 Message-ID: Bryce: >True instrumentals: > by TMBG: > - Art Mover > - Be Kind and Gentle > - Budnitz #1 > - C-Town > - Candy Stripers Aren't "Budnitz #1" and "Candy Stripers" the same song? > - Ultimate Battle for the Planet of the Apes If you count this, wouldn't you also have to count the version of "Battle For The Planet Of The Apes" that was on Severe Tire Damage? Granted, you could hear the chanting on that recording, but it was still basically an instrumental. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Philadelphia show Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 01:47:27 +0000 Message-ID: Adam: >U2 Spin the Dial - Yeah, they didn't do Mysterious Ways either. I asked >Flans about it after the show and he said something like "U2 is so >tuneless" or something. I then asked him why then he did Bruce the other >night in DC. And he said, Bruce is so much fun. Or something. I figure >he knows how that works better than I do. I think it's a proven scientific fact that Bruce Springsteen is more fun than U2. >Because I Got High - I've listened to that song way too many times in the >past 24 hours, and gone to his website and stuff. I still think it's an >anti-drug song. It's concealed very well that it's not, but I think it is. Maybe it's concealed so well that even Afroman doesn't realize it. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Openers Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 01:51:23 +0000 Message-ID: Liz: >i'll bet money that afroman will join the ranks >of tmbg openers who go on to sell more records in a year or so than they >have >in 20... even if he is a one hit wonder all the kids seem to love him What other openers have done that? Most of the ones I've seen or heard of tend to be relatively unknown. I guess Frank Black is pretty well-known, and, if you count his work with the Pixies, he might well have sold more albums in his career than the Johns have in theirs, but probably not within a year. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Message-ID: <02d401c16665$b6afa920$3a1410ac@avesta.com> From: "Bryce" Subject: Re: TMBG: instrumental songs Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 20:52:37 -0500 Nathan Mulac DeHoff : > Aren't "Budnitz #1" and "Candy Stripers" the same song? Oh right, sorry. > > - Ultimate Battle for the Planet of the Apes > > If you count this, wouldn't you also have to count the > version of "Battle For The Planet Of The Apes" that was > on Severe Tire Damage? I guess it could go under "pseudo-instrumentals." But I don't think those really count anyway. Bryce ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #47-5 *****************************