Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #47-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 47, Number 7 Thursday, 8 November 2001 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: UK support band and release dates. TMBG: Re: sapphire bullets shirts Re: TMBG: Oh, and... TMBG: Dot TMBG: another old-timer musing about the list TMBG: They Might Be giants!! Re: TMBG: another old-timer musing about the list Re: TMBG: Mink Car: Why Drilled? Re: TMBG: the tmbg.org list VS. alt.music.tmbg Re: TMBG: Emusic, get your shit together. (Man those guys blow!) Re: TMBG: the tmbg.org list VS. alt.music.tmbg Re: TMBG: Mink Car: Why Drilled? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 12:44:09 +0000 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: UK support band and release dates. The support band for their London Astoria concert is Kevin Tihista's Red Terror who someone at work has a track of and says it's quite good. Anyone else know anything about them? Release date for Mink Car in the UK is listed as 19th November and release date for MISLIH single is 12th November. Anyone else on the list going to London or other dates? Richard N.B. If the single isn't released in the USA I'll probably do the 'at cost mailing service' I did for Boss of Me. Well it's what you expect from your Ambassador to the UK! _____________________________________________________________________ This message has been checked for all known viruses by Star Internet delivered through the MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service. For further information visit http://www.star.net.uk/stats.asp or alternatively call Star Internet for details on the Virus Scanning Service. ------------------------------ From: "Dave Novak" Subject: TMBG: Re: sapphire bullets shirts Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 16:55:26 Message-ID: >That would be me. I still have some left in sizes L, M, and S. XXLs ran >out >first, then XLs. Several people have asked about XLs, so I might be >producing >more of those if enough people are interested. But I'd only do that >because I >under-ordered XLs in the first place; this is a limited time offer. > >The designs are still up here: >http://members.aol.com/brycegh/sb.front.gif >http://members.aol.com/brycegh/sb.back.gif Hey, don't forget about me! I model these lovely threads on my band's web site: www.siment.net (Our DNS server was being stupid yesterday, so use: http://www.wpi.edu/~wents/siment/ if that doesn't work. Go to Pictures | Indiefest 2001, where my band "kind of" opened for TMBG at WPI in Mass. So there. Nyaahh. Very shameful plug... I know. -Dave _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 13:08:18 EST From: Furfr@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Oh, and... Message-ID: I listened to it. I think my favorite part was when he said that there was this one day linnell couldn't make it to a meeting because of a family obligation and that's when he (flans) decided to turn It's So Loud in Here into a disco song. Not that i don't like it the disco way! I just had always thought that "flans messing up all the songs" thing was a joke. ;) In a message dated Mon, 5 Nov 2001 3:25:56 AM Eastern Standard Time, Ryan Mooney writes: > Did anyone catch the Flans interview on JJJ's "2001" last night? What did > he say? > > Oddly enough, they're playing "Dinner Bell" on JJJ right now. ------------------------------ From: "Lee Steel" Subject: TMBG: Dot Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 18:23:02 -0500 Message-ID: <000501c167e3$25d83cd0$6501a8c0@leesteel> Someone please email me Operator Dot's email address privately. Mr.Lee [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3BEA0CAE.C1DCF67C@alltel.net> Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 22:40:15 -0600 From: Tara Weber Subject: TMBG: another old-timer musing about the list > Yeah, that could be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on how much > you want to read, and how good you are at ignoring what you DON'T want to > read. I have noticed that there usually tend to be several threads going on > at once on the newsgroup, while the list rarely has more than one at a time. > (Today is, interestingly enough, an exception.) I first joined this list > in late 1997, though (I had joined the newsgroup in August of that year), > and I seem to recall there being a LOT more posts back then. I think there > was less of a stigma against off-topic posts at that point, case(s) in point: list weddings, the Oklahoma Flesh Fest, Mr. Blobby... :) (all together now: "But what about Careless Santa???") sorry. :-/ I first joined this list in...wow, sometime in 1994. For years, it was a way, way, way more off-topic place than it is now. I think there were just a lot of really strong personalities posting a lot for a while there (well, ok, there was Leffel). Now that the atmosphere is so different, I don't get much of a feel for people's personalities here anymore. There was a lot more traffic--not just more off-topic stuff, but like Nathan said, somehow more discussion of TMBG too. I know I posted a lot more back then (just as well, I guess, 'cause I really don't have time). But I think the reason there never seem to be any ongoing, really involved threads of conversation here is probably because off-topic stuff is so frowned upon now, there's no room for tangents to naturally shape the flow of discussion the way they do in real life. Without a LITTLE bit of off-topic leeway, any given topic can really only go so far. > but there were a > LOT of complaints about such posts a year or two ago, and I think people > might be less willing to make off-topic posts than they had been in the > past. Yeah, I think the faked-suicide incident kinda put the last nail in that coffin (er, no pun intended). That was when I left for a while. :( --Tara ------------------------------ From: "*SUPER SPANGER*" Subject: TMBG: They Might Be giants!! Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 16:09:54 +1100 Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.0.20011108005830.009f8130@email.psu.edu> Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 01:00:04 -0500 From: Jason Fickley Subject: Re: TMBG: another old-timer musing about the list At 10:40 PM 11/7/2001 -0600, Tara Weber wrote: >Yeah, I think the faked-suicide incident kinda put the last nail in that >coffin (er, no pun intended). That was when I left for a while. :( > >--Tara Just when I had almost forgotten about that... :P --Jason-- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3BEA23BD.A674601C@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 22:18:42 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car: Why Drilled? Nathan wrote: > Isn't that so they can't be resold or something? I'm not sure. Why does > it > matter? It matters because it decreases the value. By "value" I don't mean just monetary value. Even though its intentional, its still minor damage. If you were to sell it on ebay you couldn't claim its in excellent condition. If I were to buy a CD on ebay that was drilled, sawed etc, I'd be mad (unless I got it really cheap.) Rob wrote: > I'm not sure but anytime I've ever ordered TMBG > cds from TMBG.com etc., they've always been > drilled. If you paid full price, you got ripped off. I would send it back. Through the years, I've seen so many people say they got broken mugs and shot glasses and they don't seem to send them back. They just chuckle about it. Kate Sith wrote: > o.o I still haven't gotten my cd. Why is this? You should email them. I took me a long time to get my fleece. Then the send they wrong one. Finally I got the right one after emailing them a few times. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3BEA2589.89BA2BFE@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 22:26:22 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: Re: TMBG: the tmbg.org list VS. alt.music.tmbg Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > There was a TMBG off-topic list started around this time (in April > 1999 or so), and a lot of the off-topic discussion that might have occurred > here probably ended up there, but this list is pretty much dead now. The tmbg off topic list still exist last I checked (a few months ago). It was a huge success and vey active. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3BEA26AE.86D7B16D@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 22:31:17 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: Re: TMBG: Emusic, get your shit together. (Man those guys blow!) [Badly formed multipart message, contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: BethJE@aol.com Message-ID: <16f.3925f4c.291b8748@aol.com> Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 01:59:20 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: the tmbg.org list VS. alt.music.tmbg B O N G O > > There was a TMBG off-topic list started around this time (in April > > 1999 or so), and a lot of the off-topic discussion that might have > occurred > > here probably ended up there, but this list is pretty much dead now. > > The tmbg off topic list still exist last I checked (a few months ago). It > was a huge success and vey active. I actually met my boyfriend through that list. Colleen, who rarely posts on here, met hers through the list too, although more indirectly. I've been on it for over two years, now. I joined when sarah told me it'd be fun, which is also the reason for my being on this list, but the offtopic one is more fun. Beth I met a bunch of other rad people through it, too. Nyah. ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car: Why Drilled? Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 07:03:36 +0000 Message-ID: Bongo: >Nathan wrote: > > > Isn't that so they can't be resold or something? I'm not sure. Why >does > > it > > matter? > > It matters because it decreases the value. By "value" I don't mean >just >monetary value. Even though its intentional, its still minor damage. If you >were to sell it on ebay you couldn't claim its in excellent condition. If >I >were to buy a CD on ebay that was drilled, sawed etc, I'd be mad (unless I >got it really cheap.) Are you PLANNING on selling it, though? If not, is it really a big deal? I would hope that most people who joined TMBG Unlimited consider an autographed Mink Car too valuable to sell. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #47-7 *****************************