Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #47-8 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 47, Number 8 Friday, 9 November 2001 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Mink Car: Why Drilled? Re: TMBG: the tmbg.org list VS. alt.music.tmbg Re: TMBG: the tmbg.org list VS. alt.music.tmbg Re: TMBG: the tmbg.org list VS. alt.music.tmbg TMBG: They might be giants TMBG: Does anyone one have a UnLdt Discography? Re: TMBG: Mink Car: Why Drilled? Re: TMBG: They Might Be giants!! Re: TMBG: the tmbg.org list VS. alt.music.tmbg vs tmbgOfftopic TMBG: Drilled Mink Car TMBG: Rutgers Concert Re: TMBG: They Might Be giants!! TMBG: CDnow review Re: TMBG: They Might Be giants!! Re: TMBG: CDnow review Re: TMBG: CDnow review TMBG: 11/8/01 Rutgers University Setlist Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <3.0.6.32.20011108182905.00829870@student.anu.edu.au> Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 18:29:05 +1100 From: Ryan Mooney Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car: Why Drilled? At 07:03 08-11-01 +0000, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >Are you PLANNING on selling it, though? If not, is it really a big deal? I >would hope that most people who joined TMBG Unlimited consider an >autographed Mink Car too valuable to sell. That's a good point; plus, I think you'll find that under the terms of your agreement, you DIDN'T pay for that Mink Car - - it was FREE (free when you hand over all that cash for MP3s, of course). Hence, it is a promotional item, indicated by the drillhole which physically means the same thing as the line found on all promo TMBG discs: "Promotional copy. NOT FOR SALE" Legally, they could prosecute you for selling it. Not that they would, but they do have the upper hand under the law. - Ryan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3BEA36FE.ABF7885E@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 01:40:46 -0600 From: Mitch Harding Organization: AIX kernel support and serviceability Subject: Re: TMBG: the tmbg.org list VS. alt.music.tmbg Bongo wrote: > The tmbg off topic list still exist last I checked (a few months ago). It > was a huge success and vey active. Tell me more about this alleged list. How can one join it? I need more e-mail. Mitch! www.mitcharf.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: the tmbg.org list VS. alt.music.tmbg Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 07:50:34 +0000 Message-ID: Beth: >B O N G O > > > There was a TMBG off-topic list started around this time (in April > > > 1999 or so), and a lot of the off-topic discussion that might have > > occurred > > > here probably ended up there, but this list is pretty much dead now. > > > > The tmbg off topic list still exist last I checked (a few months >ago). >It > > was a huge success and vey active. > >I actually met my boyfriend through that list. That much is true. As some of you here probably know, Beth and I are a couple, and we DID meet through the off-topic list. I certainly never meant to imply that it was a bad thing, just that it's nowhere near as busy as it once was. Whether it's on its final legs or just in a slump remains to be seen. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: the tmbg.org list VS. alt.music.tmbg Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 07:53:27 +0000 Message-ID: Mitch: >Bongo wrote: > > The tmbg off topic list still exist last I checked (a few months >ago). It > > was a huge success and vey active. > >Tell me more about this alleged list. How can one join it? It's a Yahoo! group (previously an egroups list, and a onelist list before that), so I think you can sign up at groups.yahoo.com. The title is "TMBGofftopic." >I need more e-mail. Don't we all? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: "*SUPER SPANGER*" Subject: TMBG: They might be giants Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 21:57:35 +1100 Message-ID: Sorry about my last post. it said that I had just purchased and therefore, needed to share the fact, a They might be giants album. I dont even have it on CD. And I got it for 12 bucks. Yay... very happy gurrrllll. Lyndy _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3BEA69BB.93EFCF34@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:17:32 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: TMBG: Does anyone one have a UnLdt Discography? It would be great to have a complete and accurate list of everything TMBG has released through Emusic. I like to see a month by month list indicating the song titles in the exact download order they were presented in. Indications of which were "From The Crypt" selections should be made. Also, I'd like to see a list of downloads that were offered as freebies (especially if they weren't part of the normal paid offerings.) One reason I have for wanting this is that I'm not sure I have everything. Also I not sure of some of the official titles. Once the final issue is up, I plan on fixing the files (where needed) organizing them and re-burning them to CD. Then I'll make labels and cases listing the contents. For example, the October listing might look like this: October 2001, Issue #10 (Note: First four songs comprise the second part of the "Battle of the Bands" series) 1) "Disappointing Show" (Live Lead Singer Melt-Down Mix) (by The Disappointers) 2) "Cut the Strings" (by Demchuk) 3) "Blind" (by Demchuk) 4) "Something You'd Like to See" (by Little Lisa Whitman) 5) "Kid's Are Different Now!" (by Spool 409) 6) "To The Bubblecraft!" - They Might Be Giants and the Elegant Too 7) WMOB ID" - Robin "Goldie" Goldwasser 8) O Tannenbaum" - They Might Be Giants "From the Crypt": 9) "All Things Considered" - Mono Puff 10) "Ultimate Battle for the Planet of the Apes" - They Might Be Giants In the middle of writing this, I realized that I should check tmbg.org's discography. Turns out that its all on there and its got a lot of excellent information. Still there's a lot of confusion. They claim there were three versions of the first edition. (No doubt, the result of Emusic's legendary screw ups.) One of them includes "Santa Claus". I can't remember if "Santa Claus" was one of the freebies or if it was a Crypt pick or what. July's collection originally had 23 songs. Then it was switched to only 17 tracks. The extra six songs aren't part of the *official* collection since they were offered in error. (So far only one of them was offered again. If the other five show up on the remaining two editions, I'll go with the shorter, official version.) Also I'm confused about the August edition. tmbg.org seems to indicate that it consisted of Mink Car and then they list the other tracks as "Post Mink Car". I'm not sure what that means. I remember when I was downloading it, the page said it was TMBG Unlimited # 8.5 or something like that. I thought "Mink Car" was just another one of the full TMBG albums emusic made available and not part of the the UnLtd editions. Part of the confusion may be that it seems there are two different pages that you can down load the tracks from. Sometimes, the titles or spellings are inconsistent. In retrospect, I wish that I had made screen captures of all of the pages to help me figure this mess out. If anyone has a better discography or can answer some of my questions, let me know. Also it turns out that I overlooked an entire concert on UnLtd. Its the "The Ritz Show". If someone will send it to me, I'll send you something in exchange. I probably don't have any quality TMBG stuff you don't already have but I can send you a great mix disc of stuff that as a TMBG fan, you might like. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3BEA6D1D.7A111EC6@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 03:31:58 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: Re: TMBG: Mink Car: Why Drilled? Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Bongo: > >Nathan wrote: > > > > > Isn't that so they can't be resold or something? I'm not sure. Why > >does > > > it > > > matter? > > > > It matters because it decreases the value. By "value" I don't mean > >just > >monetary value. Even though its intentional, its still minor damage. If you > >were to sell it on ebay you couldn't claim its in excellent condition. If > >I > >were to buy a CD on ebay that was drilled, sawed etc, I'd be mad (unless I > >got it really cheap.) > > Are you PLANNING on selling it, though? If not, is it really a big deal? I > would hope that most people who joined TMBG Unlimited consider an > autographed Mink Car too valuable to sell. Nope, I not going to sell it but it bugs me. I wake up in the middle of the night with my skin itching and I know its because of that hole. When I fist saw it, it looked like a pin hole. But it seems to grow each time I look at it. Yesterday it was the size of a half dollar. Today I almost fell into it. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3BEA7497.E1D96BD5@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 04:03:56 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be giants!! [Badly formed multipart message, contents not processed] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <002101c16860$6203cd50$2d3091d0@consolidate.internal.maxweb.com> From: "Colleen Anne McClanahan" Subject: Re: TMBG: the tmbg.org list VS. alt.music.tmbg vs tmbgOfftopic Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 09:19:31 -0500 Beth: | B O N G O | > > There was a TMBG off-topic list started around this time (in April | > > 1999 or so), and a lot of the off-topic discussion that might have | > occurred | > > here probably ended up there, but this list is pretty much dead now. | > | > The tmbg off topic list still exist last I checked (a few months ago). | It | > was a huge success and vey active. | | I actually met my boyfriend through that list. Colleen, who rarely posts on | here, met hers through the list too, although more indirectly. I've been on | it for over two years, now. I joined when sarah told me it'd be fun, which is | also the reason for my being on this list, but the offtopic one is more fun. | Beth's right about that. I met the love of my life through the Offtopic list, in a very very obtuse manner. But I've also made some really great friends, in a more direct manner. The Offtopic list might not be as active as it once was, but it's still full of great people, most of whom I consider more than "internet friends". With that, I invite anyone who wants to babble (in a manner such as this) about mostly non-TMBG stuff (such as topics like this) to come check us out at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TMBGofftopic Colleen Anne Unofficial Ambassador of Good Will, TMBG Offtopic mailing list ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: TMBG: Drilled Mink Car Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 16:57:17 Message-ID: Um, my copy's not drilled. I was waiting for someone else to say that, but this discussion's been going on a while now. Maybe I'm the only one. Sorry. If everyone gives me a dollar I'll drill a hole in it myself. _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 13:28:06 -0500 (EST) From: Subject: TMBG: Rutgers Concert Message-ID: So I don't know how many of you guys know about this, and I haven't been particularly diligent in keeping up with the list mail, so my appolgies if this has been discussed, though I haven't seen anything about it yet so here goes... As you may or may not know, TMBG is playing the College Ave Gym today (Nov. 8th) 'round 8ish. Unfortunately you need a Rutgers ID to get in - but for those of you that applies to, I also here there are LOTS of tickets left. That is all. -- I Bet You're Flying Inside ------------------------------- Matthew Krolak Geek Code block: http://stompbox.dhs.org/~notplaid/gcb.txt http://stompbox.dhs.org A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, While a happy man takes a walk, And maybe it's time to live. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20011108181435.54882.qmail@web9601.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 10:14:35 -0800 (PST) From: Doug Vincent Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be giants!! I think that she is reffering to the release of No Doubt's new CD, Rocksteady. I would be too, if their single Hey Baby wasn't R&B. But that is just my opinion on the subject. Laterz. --- Bongo wrote: > > > *SUPER SPANGER* wrote: > > > > > > > Hey all. I JUST HAD to share this with people who > would share my > > excitement... Today I picked up a copy of "They > might be giants" (the > > album!!) for only 12 bucks. I dont know or care > if thats a good > > price... I'm a very happy girl... Now all I have > to do is wait till > > the 11th. > > > 12 bucks sounds like a good price to me. What's > this about the 11th? > What happens on the 11th? What, that we're all going > to die? Is that it? > Is that why you're lying here? > > -B O N G O > > > > ===== Doug Vincent "Its not getting what you want, its wanting what you got." ----- The Impossibles __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Find a job, post your resume. http://careers.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: "jon jenkins" Subject: TMBG: CDnow review Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 19:07:58 -0500 Message-ID: If you're interestd, this is the review CDNow posted for Mink Car. It's very positive and it is very much in line with what I think of Mink Car: Classic TMBG for the 21st century. I still don't understand the argument people make that TMBG have changed their sound on Mink Car, and therefore it sucks...but, whatever. Maybe you'll realize your mistake in a few years and enjoy Mink Car for what it is: A Great Fucking CD! Enjoy, October 15, 2001 They Might Be Giants -- the offbeat art-pop combo formed about 20 years ago by John Flansburgh and John Linnell -- further enriches its catalog with Mink Car, a platter piled high with catchy melodies and infectious experiments. True to TMBG style, they recorded 17 diverse songs on an album not much more than 45 minutes long, backed by their "Band of Dans" (guitarist Dan Miller, bassist Dan Weinkauf, and drummer Dan Hickey), plus other guests. Flansburgh and Linnell show their tendency toward pure electronic pop with "Bangs," a meditation on a woman's hairstyle set to a kinetic synth throb; "Man, It's So Loudi Here," a heartbreaking melody set to a throbbing, synthesized wall of sound; and "My Man," an artfully wrought pop theme that seems to take its harmonic cues from '60s electronic instrumentalists Perrey & Kingsley. The album's surprises include a clever TMBG-styled reworking of Georgie Fame's swinging '60s melody "Yeh Yeh"; the raw garage-rock timbres of the curiously arranged "Cyclops Rock"; and the wonderful waltz-time melody of the emphatically surrealistic "Drink!" Further examples of TMBG's sophisticated songcraft can be heard on "Mink Car" in which a Burt Bacharach-styled piano figure leads into a dreamy melody, complete with pithy horn embellishments; "Finished with Lies," which uses a Beatles-esque guitar riff to outline its stellar pop hooks; and album closer "Working Undercover for the Man," which uses glorious changes to tell the story of a band that spies on its own fans -- complete with heavenly "sha-la-la" choruses. Perennial party-poopers who might pigeonhole They Might Be Giants as a "quirky" sideshow -- and somehow not representative of "real" pop music -- may not get a warm, fuzzy feeling from Mink Car. And yet one would be hard-pressed to think of another band with as distinctive a sound and the unfettered freedom to follow any stylistic course its imagination suggests. For two decades, they've remained Giants in their field. Drew Wheeler CDNOW Senior Editor _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3BEB3052.96D3B2B1@pacificnet.net> Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 17:24:37 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: Re: TMBG: They Might Be giants!! I think this was meant to be sent to the whole list, not just me. I didn't see it show up on the list. I'll just add that in the US, one drink alone would cost $5.50. (At least the L.A. House of Blues where I usually see TMBG.) And now we present Ryan's post... > At 04:03 08-11-01 -0800, you wrote: > > *SUPER SPANGER* wrote: I JUST HAD Now all I have to do is wait > >till the 11th. > > 12 bucks sounds like a good price to me. What's this about the 11th? > >What happens on the 11th? What, that we're all going to die? Is that it? Is > >that why you're lying here? O The 11th of December is the TMBG show in Sydney, where Lyndy and I will be seeing them. $12 is an even better price than you might think, because that's Austrailan dollars! (i.e. about US$5.50) Lyndy and any other Sydney listers: let's meet up and buy each other drinks aplenty! - Ryan ------------------------------ From: Matthew Coon Message-Id: <200111090336.WAA20435@omni.cc.purdue.edu> Subject: Re: TMBG: CDnow review Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 22:36:24 -0500 (EST) > Maybe you'll realize your mistake in a few years and enjoy Mink Car > for what it is: A Great Fucking CD! > Hmm, that particular use hadn't occurred to me... m@t ------------------------------ From: "Erich Cannon" Subject: Re: TMBG: CDnow review Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 20:36:41 -0800 Message-ID: > > Maybe you'll realize your mistake in a few years and enjoy Mink Car > > for what it is: A Great Fucking CD! > > > > Hmm, that particular use hadn't occurred to me... > But the center hole is WAY to small..... Erich ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001b01c168e4$53306fc0$a043c7d0@tdk> From: "The Demonic Kangaroo" Subject: TMBG: 11/8/01 Rutgers University Setlist Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 01:03:58 -0500 Spider / James K. Polk / Cyclops Rock / Bangs / Your Racist Friend / Yeh Yeh / She's Actual Size / Birdhouse In Your Soul / S-E-X-X-Y / Spin the Dial - "Yo Whatup", "Cotton Candy" / Older / Twisting / Man, It's So Loud In Here / Robot Parade / G-L-O-Ckenpeil / Shoehorn With Teeth / Shoehorn Fast Forward Version / Particle Man (Elusive Butterfly of Love) / Drink! / Dr. Worm / The Guitar / Why Does the Sun Shine? / New York City // Mink Car / Boss of Me / Istanbul (Not Constantinople) -Mike www.theymightbegiants.org [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #47-8 *****************************