Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #48-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 48, Number 5 Thursday, 6 December 2001 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Yahoo! Clubs TDK's They Might Be Giants club TMBG: A call out to PSU students Fwd: TMBG: Re: Yahoo! Clubs TDK's They Might Be Giants club Re: TMBG: Re: Yahoo! Clubs TDK's They Might Be Giants club Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3C0E3FDD.C39FD351@pacificnet.net> Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 07:40:20 -0800 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: TMBG: Re: Yahoo! Clubs TDK's They Might Be Giants club tdk@tmbg.org wrote: > Pardon the interuption, but everybody please get over to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/giganticfilm and join the Yahoo! group to support TMBG's upcoming rockumentary, Gigantic (A Tale of Two Johns). Participate in official polls, read and post relative messages, hear about the film's progress directly from the filmmakers and more. > > -Mike (TDK) Is it really necessary to have a separate "Gigantic" discussion group? I signed up to see what its all about. I'm excited about seeing the movie but I don't necessarily feel the need to discuss every aspect before its released. I'd rather be surprised when I see it. The two obvious questions are When? and Where? In the intro to the Gigantic group, I think they say they are shooting for the beginning of 2002. I'm not really sure who "they" are since they don't introduce themselves. Here's my hunch about what's going to happen with the movie. They'll be a New York and/or L.A. premiere for the filmmakers and some fans. If that goes well, they'll play once at midnight in a few cities probably in theaters near a college campus. Most likely, it won't be playing anywhere near most of us. Some of us will drive hours to attend a screening only to feel a bit burned the next day when we receive an email that goes something like this: "Hi! John Flansburgh of They Might Be Giants here to announce that our pimptastic new concert movie, "Gigantic" is now available on VHS and DVD at tmbg.com! It contains an extra 30 minutes not in the theatrical version!" ...And you'll be able to order it for half of what you spent on gas while you were driving around trying to find the University of Michigan Auxiliary Screening Room B at midnight. Of course I hope I'm wrong but I've seen such things happen with concert films by bands a lot more well know than TMBG. I don't blame them for giving it a tiny release. They'd loose a lot of money if the gave it any kind of wide release. I believe what they do with such films to save money is that they only make a couple of prints and sort of "tour" those prints around the country. I hope it at least makes it to that stage. Ultimately though, the theatrical release itself isn't that important. A year from now it will just be the subject of fan antidotes. What will remain is the film itself. I hope it turns out be enjoyable. I'm not thrilled concert documentaries movies in general. I hope this is an exception. -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: "jon jenkins" Subject: TMBG: A call out to PSU students Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2001 12:11:47 -0500 Message-ID: If you're a penn state student...keep reading. other wise you can go to your next email..or continue reading, i don't care. I met this kid today (well, ReMet) at lunch. I was wearing the apollo 18 shirt and you came up to me and just said how cool you thought it was. I think your name was Dan, but I have the world's worst memory so I'm not sure if that's right. Anyway, I forgot to ask if you were on the mailing list and I was just wondering if you were. If you are, stop by the radio station sat, 12-2 AM. We love to have people with good taste in music come and hang out. You'd be surprised how quickly talking to drunken college kids gets! Oh, and sorry I didn't remember meeting you at the radio show. I feel like an asshole about that, but I really do have the world's worst memory. I sometimes forget my room number or my home phone number, for example. Later, Jon And now for an automated signature: "I'm a professional cynic but my heart's not in it." ~ Blur |>->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->| Jon Jenkins JenkiJon383@hotmail.com _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 16:57:28 EST Subject: Fwd: TMBG: Re: Yahoo! Clubs TDK's They Might Be Giants club [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (multipart/alternative)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #48-5 *****************************