Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #49-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 49, Number 22 Wednesday, 23 January 2002 Today's Topics: RE: TMBG: Pop-Up Video Re: TMBG: Exquisite Corpse RE: TMBG: Pop-Up Video Re: TMBG: Exquisite Corpse Re: TMBG: Pop-Up Video Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: RE: TMBG: Pop-Up Video Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 09:27:00 -0500 Message-ID: From: "Karin Highfield" There's a parlor game called "Exquisite Corpse"??? How does it go, pray tell? This game could enjoy a resurgence among the Goth community, with a name like that. If it's any fun, that is... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ____________________Reply Separator____________________ Subject: Re: TMBG: Pop-Up Video Author: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Date: 01/21/02 11:20 PM Colleen: >The other day on Pop-Up Video, they popped up some stuff that said what >TMBG >wrote songs about. > >One of them was "Parlor Games." For the life of me, I can't figure out what >song they're referring to. The only thing I can think of is possibly >"Hypnotist of Ladies." (hypnotism was somewhat of a parlor game back in the >early 1900's, I think.) I don't know, though. Does anyone have a better >suggestion? "Exquisite Dead Guy." It was named after the parlor game "Exquisite Corpse." -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005701c1a362$c5a6ccd0$3a1410ac@visualnetworks.com> From: "Bryce" Subject: Re: TMBG: Exquisite Corpse Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:35:14 -0500 Have the Johns ever mentioned any relationship between the way the game is played and the writing of Exquisite Dead Guy? I mean, the middle part (about letting you know the way I feel) seems like it could have been thrown in without any prior knowledge of the surrounding parts. However, you'd think if they were going to explore this as a songwriting technique, they'd have tested it a little more thoroughly, and the song would have more sections and transitions. Bryce It's a mighty zombie. ------------------------------ Message-ID: From: Amy Greenlese Subject: RE: TMBG: Pop-Up Video Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:45:50 -0500 Actually it's a writing game if I remember right. Everyone starts to write their own story, then after a certain time you stop writing, cover up all but the last sentence, and pass it to the person next to you. Then you pick up where the story left off, only knowing that one sentence. After so long, you read the stories out loud and of course they make very little sense. Amy :) -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Karin Highfield Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 9:27 AM To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" ; tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: RE: TMBG: Pop-Up Video There's a parlor game called "Exquisite Corpse"??? How does it go, pray tell? This game could enjoy a resurgence among the Goth community, with a name like that. If it's any fun, that is... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (application/ms-tnef)] Bryce: >Have the Johns ever mentioned any relationship between the way the game is >played and the writing of Exquisite Dead Guy? I mean, the middle part >(about >letting you know the way I feel) seems like it could have been thrown in >without any prior knowledge of the surrounding parts. However, you'd think >if >they were going to explore this as a songwriting technique, they'd have >tested >it a little more thoroughly, and the song would have more sections and >transitions. Yeah, it's unlikely that that particular song was written in that matter. I was looking through old interviews archived at tmbg.net, though, and one of them had Flansburgh saying that the two Johns sometimes wrote in an "Exquisite Corpse" manner. Linnell denied it in another interview, though, so who are you going to believe? -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Jan 22 21:27:39 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g0N2Rd443876 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:27:39 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-r09.mx.aol.com (imo-r09.mx.aol.com [152.163.225.105]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g0N2RdJ43868 for ; Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:27:39 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from MST3Kenobi@aol.com) Received: from MST3Kenobi@aol.com by imo-r09.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v31_r1.25.) id 9.197.177287b (24898); Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:27:28 -0500 (EST) From: MST3Kenobi@aol.com Message-ID: <197.177287b.297f798c@aol.com> Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:27:24 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Pop-Up Video To: colleenanne@maxweb.com, tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_197.177287b.297f798c_boundary" X-Mailer: AOL 6.0 for Windows US sub 10556 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: MST3Kenobi@aol.com --part1_197.177287b.297f798c_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Could it just be chess? I mean, it may not have a groovy title about maggot men or anything, but it could be considered a parlor game...I guess... ~MST3Kenobi@AOL.com Official TMBG Ambassador to the Sci-fi Community "I wanna be a nonconformist just like everybody else" -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GS/L/CS d-- s:t a? C++ U++ P L W++ N+ w+ !M --part1_197.177287b.297f798c_boundary Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Could it just be chess?  I mean, it may not have a groovy title about maggot men or anything, but it could be considered a parlor game...I guess...

~MST3Kenobi@AOL.com
Official TMBG Ambassador to the Sci-fi Community
"I wanna be a nonconformist just like everybody else"

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GS/L/CS d-- s:t a? C++ U++ P L W++ N+ w+ !M
--part1_197.177287b.297f798c_boundary-- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #49-22 ******************************