Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #50-11 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 50, Number 11 Sunday, 17 February 2002 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ Re: TMBG: Return to Neverland! TMBG: yet another sellout *opinion* Re: TMBG: Re: the sellout argument Re:TMBG: yet another sellout *opinion* TMBG: AP3 Re: TMBG: A topic... a topic Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 03:15:00 -0500 (EST) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <200202160815.g1G8F0448186@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Return to Neverland! Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 15:23:45 +0000 Message-ID: Garrett: ><< Before that, the name "They Might Be Giants" only appeared in the >show's credits, and who reads those? >> > >I doooo! I work at a movie theatre and was getting ready to clean "Peter >Pan 2: Return to Neverland" and was watching the music credits and all of >a sudden I see "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS"! And I go numb for a second, >trying to comprehend what is before my eyes. It rocked my world. >Apparently there was even a small choir in the song, and some other guy >who's name I can't remember did orchestrations for it. TMBG's website used to say that they did a song for that movie called "Now That You're One Of Us." I thought the song wasn't going to be used, though. I guess that's some extra money for TMBG, though, which is a good thing, I suppose. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "Ryan Garner" Subject: TMBG: yet another sellout *opinion* Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 18:49:09 +0000 Message-ID: i'm glad the johns don't read this. i would be slightly disgusted to hear my fans shouting "sellout". i think the only ones who determine if a band is a sellout are the fans. the fans dictate a bands success. and it is those few out there that would seek to label the Giants as sellouts, simply so that they would be justified in saying "it used to be about DAS duuude." and so i close with this, Don't Let's Start with the whole "sell-out" gig. _________________________________________________________________ Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com ------------------------------ From: MST3Kenobi@aol.com Message-ID: <30.224327f0.29a0043b@aol.com> Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 13:51:39 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: the sellout argument Nate said: But does TMBG write anti-materialistic songs? I really think is a different case entirely. As I've been trying to say in my last few posts, TMBG isn't about messages and principles (as far as I know), so how can they go against these things and sell out? Greetings. Well, wow. It seems that I've really been missing something here. See, I thought that messages and principles were what TMBG was all about. I mean, come on. How can you not find a message in "Shoehorn" or "I Should be Allowed to Think," or even "Cowtown." I mean, I've always thought of Them as two quirky intellectuals telling-off the rest of the world. And anyway, even if you're not actually writing songs about principles, they will probably show through (take for example, Britney Spears. She would never actually write a song about principles, but through her music, we can see that she doesn't really have any). Anyway, that's all that I have to say other than I'm rather hurt from this whole discussion. Who are we to judge Them, and even if they are *cough* "selling out," we'll always have the original spirit of the music by which to live. *sigh* ~MST3Kenobi@AOL.com Official TMBG Ambassador to the Sci-fi Community "I wanna be a nonconformist just like everybody else" -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK----- Version: 3.1 GS/L/CS d-- s:t a? C++ U++ P L W++ N+ w+ !M [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] Ummm..after reading all of the e-mails about this subject I think a lot of them were made in a sarcastic manner... ~^v^~Amber the Transcendent~^v^~ From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sat Feb 16 19:44:29 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g1H0iTV67588 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:44:29 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from f05n15.cac.psu.edu (f05s15.cac.psu.edu [128.118.141.58]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g1H0iTJ67580 for ; Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:44:29 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from jdf179@psu.edu) Received: from jason.psu.edu (acs-24-154-172-85.zoominternet.net [24.154.172.85]) by f05n15.cac.psu.edu (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id TAB89490 for ; Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:44:25 -0500 Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.0.20020216192647.009f1a00@email.psu.edu> X-Sender: jdf179@email.psu.edu X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 5.1 Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 19:40:34 -0500 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Jason Fickley Subject: TMBG: AP3 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Jason Fickley OK, so I haven't been keeping up with the list since I left Penn State in December, so if this has already been mentioned I apologize profusely. The Giants are contributing the opening theme to another Austin Powers movie: http://industryclick.com/magazinearticle.asp?magazineid=141&releaseid=9736&magazinearticleid=137340&siteid=15 So, yeah. --Jason-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Sun Feb 17 00:11:54 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g1H5Bsv72324 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Sun, 17 Feb 2002 00:11:54 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from rly-ip02.mx.aol.com (rly-ip02.mx.aol.com [152.163.225.160]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g1H5BrJ72316 for ; Sun, 17 Feb 2002 00:11:53 -0500 (EST) (envelope-from pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us) Received: from logs-wp.proxy.aol.com (logs-wp.proxy.aol.com [205.188.201.135]) by rly-ip02.mx.aol.com (8.8.8/8.8.8/AOL-5.0.0) with ESMTP id AAA18757 for ; Sun, 17 Feb 2002 00:11:03 -0500 (EST) From: pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us Received: from [172.132.48.24] (AC843018.ipt.aol.com [172.132.48.24]) by logs-wp.proxy.aol.com (8.10.0/8.10.0) with ESMTP id g1H58P3172346 for ; Sun, 17 Feb 2002 00:08:26 -0500 (EST) Mime-Version: 1.0 X-Sender: pzickler@mail.mv.k12.wa.us Message-Id: In-Reply-To: <200202160704.g1G741e46474@ussenterprise.ufp.org> References: <200202160704.g1G741e46474@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 21:06:02 -0800 To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: A topic... a topic Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" ; format="flowed" X-Apparently-From: SenatorBaxter@aol.com Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: pzickler@mv.k12.wa.us > > >What do you think about TMBG being sellouts? Or at least possibly headed >in that direction? > >Oh, yeah, big sellouts. Like, the biggest sellouts ever. Working for the >man. THE MAN.... DAMN THEM. >I totally agree with you... When I saw Linnell all done up in his Enrique >Inglesias wannabe outfit, and Flansy trying to sing like Thom Yorke... > I remember Flans joking one or two times that They've been trying >to sell out for years and have failed, which is really true. My favorite sellout artist of all time has to be Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo. Here's a guy who used to send out missives from "Boogie Boy" about how Devolution would overthrow evil capitalism by selling millions of subversive Devo albums. Now his songs accompany kiddy cartoons and TV commercials. And I'm sure he's laughing all the way to the bank. I know I would be. My favorite is the Target commercial where you hear "it's a beautiful world for you", but they cut off the part that says "but not for me." PZ ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #50-11 ******************************