Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #51-20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 51, Number 20 Tuesday, 26 March 2002 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: l Re: TMBG: ideal giant goodness compilation Re: TMBG: ideal giant goodness compilation TMBG: TMBG In "Stuff" April 2002 Issue Re: TMBG: TMBG In "Stuff" April 2002 Issue Re: TMBG: TMBG In "Stuff" April 2002 Issue Sort-of TMBG: Official You Were Spiraling bootleg cassette? Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Polaris" Subject: TMBG: Re: l Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 05:53:31 -0600 Organization: They Might Be Giants Fan Club Message-ID: Trap! ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:13:09 +0000 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: ideal giant goodness compilation Ryan Interesting selection and almost all from their earlier stuff (apart from the hon. mentions to Mink Car). Does this tell us anything about your age?! By the way all you others are welcome to put together your 'best of'. I can resend the master list to individuals if you have lost it. Richard >>> "absolutely ryan garner" 24/03/02 17:19:34 >>> I know this was asked years ago.. I'm just a little slow on the response. HAHA! ...(anyways, my ideal cd) 1- Ana Ng 2- Put Your Hand Inside The Puppet Head 3- Number Three 4- Don't Let's Start 5- Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon (misc t... does that count?) 6- The Statue Got Me High 7- It's Not My Birthday (yet another misc t) 8- Twisting 9- Nothings Gonna Change My Clothes 10- (She was a) Spiralling Shape!!! (sorry tough one) 11- No One Knows My Plan 12- Santa's Beard 13- Youth Culture Killed My Dog (85DT version- yeah i know that's stretching it) 14- They'll Need A Crane 15- The Famous Polka 16- When It Rains It Snows 17- We're The Replacements 18- They Might Be Giants 19- Rythm Section Want Ad 20- End Of The Tour 38- Space Suit lots of extremely tough choices. much to my regret i couldn't find a place for any mink car material. =( honorable mention to: bangs, so loud in here, cyclops rock, fang, sombrero, my man, wicked lil crit... BAH.. honorable mention to mink car!) The sender of the preceeding message, and the author of the ensuing signature, Ryan Garner, Excerpt from: "The allegory of the people in the cave by the Greek guy" _________________________________________________________________ Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. http://www.hotmail.com ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: ideal giant goodness compilation Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:14:16 +0000 Message-ID: Richard Hilton: >Interesting selection and almost all from their earlier stuff (apart from >the hon. mentions to Mink Car). Does this tell us anything about your >age?! While I have no idea how old Ryan is, his choice of songs isn't necessarily a good indication as to his age (or, perhaps more importantly, when he became a fan). I do think that the earliest TMBG (or any band) a person has heard often becomes that person's favorite. I became a fan after Factory Showroom was released, but it wasn't my first TMBG album, nor is it my favorite now. On the other hand, my girlfriend's first TMBG album WAS FS, and it IS her favorite now. Still, this doesn't always hold true, and someone introduced to the band through, say, FS and Severe Tire Damage, could still prefer the earlier stuff. Besides, the by-the-numbers approach of this compilation means that there are sometimes going to be great tracks that you'll have to leave off because they conflict with other great tracks, and other positions that tend to be dry spots on pretty much every album. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3C9F6197.3070403@ipass.net> Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:42:47 -0500 From: Red Wolf Subject: TMBG: TMBG In "Stuff" April 2002 Issue Hello, Don't know if any of you guys read Stuff Magazine (if not, I don't blame you; it sucks). A friend of mine does, however, and he knows that I like TMBG, so he showed me the April 2002 issue.. and who did I find inside? TMBG! Strangely enough they're in one of those men's fashion spreads/features where they take a picture of them wearing the latest in "hip" clothing and talk about what they're wearing down in the corner. This particular feature is called "Dress Rehearsal" and seems to be centered around lesser-known musicians. Anyway, the picture is great, a full-page shot showing the Johns in a home studio of theirs, Flans standing while holding a guitar and Linell sitting in front, pointing his Baritone Sax towards the camera. They're both wearing mostly-beige colored suits, etc. with Linell's looking rather vintage. Here's what the text says on the lower left hand of the page: * --------------------------------------- THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS WHO THEY MIGHT BE: Left to right: John Flansburgh and John Linell. HOW YOU MIGHT KNOW THEM: They've been around only, oh, 20 years. WHAT THEY MIGHT BE UP TO: A documentary (A Tale of Two Johns), a two-disc anthology (Dial a song), a kid's album (No!) and new theme song for America's Most Wanted. FASHION STATEMENT: Says Flansburgh: "I dress like my dad." THEY TOTALLY MET JOHN WALSH: "America's Most Wanted was an amazing gig," Flansburgh Says. "[A theme song is] a different kind of thing because it's essentially faceless. We did this sort of drum- and-bass-meets-Peter-Gunn piece of music. I don't know if anybody would even know it was us." JOHN FLANSBURGH: SUIT, $695, AND POLO SHIRT, $95, BOTH BY BOSS HUGO BOSS. JOHN LINNELL: SUIT JACKET: $375, BY ARMAND BASI. EMPHASIS SHIRT, $130, BY NEWYORKINDUSTRIE. PANTS, $240, BY PAUL SMITH. CHUCK TAYLORS, $32, BY CONVERSE. STYLING BY KELLY RAE * --------------------------------------- It's a great picture. Buy the magazine, rip it out, and hang it on your wall. Throw the rest if the magazine away, or sell it to your little brother. Have fun. -RedWolf ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 13:02:45 EST From: Furfr@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG In "Stuff" April 2002 Issue Message-ID: <10.1c18db0a.29d0c046@aol.com> For anyone who hasn't seen the picture yet and is too embarrassed to be seen riffling through that crappy magazine, someone from the ng was kind enough to post it here: http://www.crudpants.com/tmbg/stuff-lo.jpg In a message dated Mon, 25 Mar 2002 12:43:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, Red Wolf writes: > Hello, > > Don't know if any of you guys read Stuff Magazine (if not, I don't > blame you; it sucks). A friend of mine does, however, and he knows that > I like TMBG, so he showed me the April 2002 issue.. and who did I find > inside? TMBG! Strangely enough they're in one of those men's fashion > spreads/features where they take a picture of them wearing the latest in > "hip" clothing and talk about what they're wearing down in the corner. > This particular feature is called "Dress Rehearsal" and seems to be > centered around lesser-known musicians. Anyway, the picture is great, a > full-page shot showing the Johns in a home studio of theirs, Flans > standing while holding a guitar and Linell sitting in front, pointing > his Baritone Sax towards the camera. They're both wearing mostly-beige > colored suits, etc. with Linell's looking rather vintage. > > Here's what the text says on the lower left hand of the page: > > --------------------------------------- > > THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS > > WHO THEY MIGHT BE: Left to right: > John Flansburgh and John Linell. > > HOW YOU MIGHT KNOW THEM: > They've been around only, oh, 20 years. > > WHAT THEY MIGHT BE UP TO: > A documentary (A Tale of Two Johns), > a two-disc anthology (Dial a song), > a kid's album (No!) and new theme > song for America's Most Wanted. > > FASHION STATEMENT: Says > Flansburgh: "I dress like my dad." > > THEY TOTALLY MET JOHN WALSH: > "America's Most Wanted was an > amazing gig," Flansburgh Says. > "[A theme song is] a different kind > of thing because it's essentially > faceless. We did this sort of drum- > and-bass-meets-Peter-Gunn piece > of music. I don't know if anybody > would even know it was us." > > JOHN FLANSBURGH: SUIT, $695, > AND POLO SHIRT, $95, BOTH BY > BOSS HUGO BOSS. > > JOHN LINNELL: SUIT JACKET: $375, > BY ARMAND BASI. EMPHASIS SHIRT, > $130, BY NEWYORKINDUSTRIE. PANTS, > $240, BY PAUL SMITH. CHUCK TAYLORS, > $32, BY CONVERSE. > > STYLING BY KELLY RAE > --------------------------------------- > > > It's a great picture. Buy the magazine, rip it out, and hang it on > your wall. Throw the rest if the magazine away, or sell it to your > little brother. Have fun. > > -RedWolf ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00b901c1d430$2496b5e0$b31510ac@visualnetworks.com> From: "Bryce" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG In "Stuff" April 2002 Issue Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 14:06:17 -0500 > JOHN LINNELL: [...] > CHUCK TAYLORS, $32, BY CONVERSE. That's a good price, I wonder where he gets them. You used to be able to find them even cheaper at Converse factory outlet stores, but I just found out that there aren't any more, they've all been closed down. Suction! Bryce ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <60.1d3308a9.29d1641b@aol.com> Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 00:41:47 EST Subject: Sort-of TMBG: Official You Were Spiraling bootleg cassette? Just wondering: would anyone be willing to make me a copy of the You Were Spiraling bootleg cassette they used to sell? I used to have a copy, but it's been lost for the last 2 years. Can anyone out there help me out? Thanks. PR Mega [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #51-20 ******************************