Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #51-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 51, Number 4 Monday, 4 March 2002 Today's Topics: TMBG: NYC experimental Tuesday Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <200203040107.g2417qu05455@koza.acecape.com> Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 20:09:43 -0500 From: Joshua Fried Subject: TMBG: NYC experimental Tuesday Dear People--- sorry this is SO last-minute, but I wanted you to know: I'll be hitting electric shoes with sticks again in yet another sneak preview of RADIO WONDERLAND for The Musical Shoes, powerbook, boombox, pedals, knobs and sliders. ALL of the material will be taken from commercial FM radio broadcasts grabbed LIVE--on the spot--off the cuff--with all due unpredictability--and transformed into musical, funky, patterns right in front of the audience. = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Tuesday 5 March 2002 Doors open 7:30pm -- Festival begins 8:15 R'shut: Place and Permission The New 14th Street YM-YWHA 344 East 14th Street at 1st Ave, NYC Admission is FREE (suggested donation $12 if you have it ) For more information about R'shut: Place and Permission, contact Bara Sapir at (646) 698 -7858 = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = also performing Sound Painting, interdisciplinary orchestra structured improv Raquel Sanchez, spoken word * Gabriel Levicky, performance/ spoken word * Mikael Elsila (piano/keyboard)/Michael Poulad (guitar)/Don Slovin (percussion)/Bara Sapir (vocal), Ladino songs * Emcee: EVAN SAYET, stand-up comic, entertainer, writer for Politically Incorrect, The Tonight Show, Arsenio Hall = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Joshua Fried is a 2001 Artists Fellowship recipient of New York Foundation for the Arts. This presentation is co-sponsored by Artists & Audiences Exchange, a public service program of the New York Foundation for the Arts. = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = I wouldn't want you to have to miss it just because you didn't know. Thanks for reading. joshua fried = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = Somehow, you're on Joshua Fried's mailing list. Don't want to be? Just reply with a blank message and it will be taken care of, with sincere apologies. Want to know more? See http://www.echonyc.com/~joshua = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = high-flown artist statement: I focus on the unique, un-repeatable MOMENT. Machines help me exalt the here-and-now of a performance--one that is in some cases live, in other cases recorded. John Cage asked us to open our musical ears wide, so wide that all sound is included. I might be doing the opposite: I'll take any sound and funnel it down to the width that our ears are right now, today. This is why I treat the chance material with the simplest of transformations: framing, repetition, transposition, basic patterning. New Project: use computer, old shoes and steering wheel to transform found bits of live commercial FM radio, into funky, well-built musical structures-- LIVE. Powerbook subverts pop. RADIO WONDERLAND ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #51-4 *****************************