Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #52-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 52, Number 7 Monday, 8 April 2002 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Factory TMBG: TMBG in Atlanta TMBG: Re: TMBG in Atlanta Re: TMBG: TMBG in Atlanta Re: TMBG: Re: Severe Mink Factory Re: TMBG: TMBG in Atlanta Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Mink Factory Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 07:06:36 +0000 Message-ID: Furfr: >Hey, as long as we're talking about albums everybody hates, just out of >curiosity, does everybody hate STD? Aside from Dr. Worm. I think Severe (I don't like to abbreviate it "STD," for obvious reasons) has its share of flaws, and is probably the weakest album TMBG released (if you can count it as an "album"). On the other hand, I certainly wouldn't say it's bad. It's just not as good as it could have been. Really, the album seems to suffer a bit from lack of preparation. Was the Live!! NYC version REALLY the best recording of "Ana Ng" they could get? An even better example lies in the Planet of the Apes tracks. Why didn't they record them themselves, instead of trying to find bootleg copies later on? I also think it's kind of odd that there was no "vintage" TMBG material; as far as I know, it was all from the John Henry tour or later. We know that the Johns have access to recordings of earlier live performances; some of them appeared on Unlimited. So why not use them? (This doesn't mean that the album is bad because all of the recordings are fairly recent; it's just an example of what they could have done to make Severe even better than it is.) I don't really mind that it isn't "an accurate representation of a live show," which I know really irks some people here. I'd have liked more banter, but I guess that wasn't what they were aiming for. For what it is (a showcase of some of TMBG's better live recordings since 1994 or so), I think it's good, though. There are some really strong tracks on there. And, for what it's worth, I think "Doctor Worm" might be a bit overrated. That's not to say that it's a bad song in the least; it's very catchy and all that. I kind of think there isn't that much to it, though (it's closer to "Particle Man" than "Birdhouse In Your Soul," I'd say), and that it really only was billed as the potential hit by in 1998 because it was the only new studio recording TMBG made in 1998 (aside from About Me and the Severe Tire Damage Theme, which obviously couldn't have been singles). -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 10:51:40 -0500 Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Atlanta Message-ID: <20020406.105140.2268.0.jbparke@juno.com> From: jbparke@juno.com There was a new concert date announced for June 28th at Centennial Olympic Park in Atlanta. Does anyone have any info on this concert? Price, how to get tickets, number of people the venue can hold? Has anyone here ever been to a concert there? I can't find any info online, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks! ^v^ Jeffro ^v^ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000801c1dd8f$8dab9a60$0d00000a@miller.HollyMillRun.com> From: "Charlie Miller" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG in Atlanta Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 12:21:56 -0500 I have a *feeling* that its gonna be another 99x (crappy local radio station) concert in the park like they did last year. If so, you actually can get in free with a freeloader card (available for, yes, free at http://www.99x.com/freeload/apply.html ). The park is really nice, actually, right downtown. I hope that helps. -Charlie Miller http://charlah.usedforcomparison.com ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in Atlanta Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2002 18:52:19 -0500 Message-ID: If this is in fact the 99X show, allow me to strongly encourage everyone not to go. I missed the TMBG performance last year and was so pissed about it that I made it up to myself by seeing Cake there two weeks later and it was and always will be the worst excuse for entertainment ever. If you get there at 5 AM maybe you can beat the 20,000 drunk local high school students whose parents want them out of the house, but you have to spend all day listening to local bands, and let's face it, usually local does mean bad. If you're even a little late, expect to be, oh, 900 rows back from the band, and don't expect anyone around you to know or care who They Might Be Giants are. Otherwise, have a blast! >From: jbparke@juno.com >Reply-To: jbparke@juno.com >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: TMBG in Atlanta >Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2002 10:51:40 -0500 > >There was a new concert date announced for June 28th at Centennial >Olympic Park in Atlanta. Does anyone >have any info on this concert? Price, how to get tickets, number of >people the venue can hold? Has anyone >here ever been to a concert there? I can't find any info online, so any >help would be appreciated. Thanks! > >^v^ Jeffro ^v^ _________________________________________________________________ Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: Severe Mink Factory Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 04:10:11 +0000 Message-ID: Jessie: >i can >definitely see why most people don't like std (songs that everyone's >already >heard, not the greatest quality, lots of good live stuff left out), but i >rather like it...a lot. this is probably because i have a lot of emotional >attatchment to it, as it was the first tmbg album i ever got (yeah, i know, >i >said that i was a relatively new fan). it was a really weird first album, >but >i loved it, and i still love it, most of the time at least. that's really >all >i have to say. i like std, even if i'm the only one. I don't know that Severe is really a weird first album. It has a lot of the band's hits, and it provides sort of an overview of the earlier albums (although, as I said before, it's somewhat biased toward the more recent material, with three Factory Showroom songs, and only one each from the pink album and Lincoln). Besides, if you're a new fan, it ISN'T stuff you've heard before, so that's not a problem. I'd probably recommend Flood for a new fan (although it wasn't my first TMBG album), but but Severe is a decent choice as well. -- May the light shine upon thee, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001701c1de86$903b3db0$0d00000a@miller.HollyMillRun.com> From: "Charlie Miller" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in Atlanta Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 18:50:06 -0400 Yeah, I agree. The 99x shows seem to attract every sort of jerk, from suburbian brats to homeless beggars. And yeah, the local bands that 99x recruits are usually terrible. 99x just doesn't have the weight to get the good acts, like the hunky guys in used for comparison, for example. Man, what a bunch of studs. -Charlie Miller http://charlah.usedforcomparison.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #52-7 *****************************