Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #53-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 53, Number 1 Wednesday, 1 May 2002 Today's Topics: TMBG: Death and TMBG TMBG: Songs to die to TMBG: =?ISO-8859-1?B?oCBUTUJHOiBSZTpKb3NodWEgRnJpZWQgIGFuZCBEQyBTaG93IFRhc3R RE: TMBG: Re: [experimental]Next Week-NYC-HEADSET SEXTET TMBG: which TMBG song RE: TMBG: Unnh, where list go? TMBG: "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" via Tolkein RE: TMBG: "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" via Tolkein Re: TMBG: "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" via Tolkein Re: TMBG: Unnh, where list go? RE: TMBG: Unnh, where list go? Re: TMBG: =?ISO-8859-1?B?oCBUTUJHOiBSZTpKb3NodWEgRnJpZWQgIGFuZCBEQyBTaG93IFR TMBG: =?ISO-8859-1?B?VE1CRzogUmU6Sm9zaHVhIEZyaWVkIKBhbmQgREMgU2hvdyBUYXN0ZWU Re: TMBG: DC Show / Tastee Diner run Re:_TMBG:_Re:Joshua_Fried_ and_DC_Show_Tastee_Diner_run Re: TMBG: DC Show / Tastee Diner run Re: TMBG: =?ISO-8859-1?B?VE1CRzogUmU6Sm9zaHVhIEZyaWVkIKBhbmQgREMgU2hvdyBUYXN Re: TMBG: DC Show / Tastee Diner run Re: TMBG: DC Show / Tastee Diner run Re: TMBG: DC Show / Tastee Diner run Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:21:16 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: TMBG: Death and TMBG I don't care what song they play as long as it's on repeat mode until some smart lawyer (is that an oxymoron?) proves my undoubted innocence! Richard >>> 29/04/02 20:50:28 >>> In a message dated 4/29/02 2:26:20 PM Eastern Daylight Time, karinh@sterl.com writes: > If you were given the death penalty, which TMBG song would you want to hear > as your last song on earth, as you were lying there waiting for the IV to > do its deadly work? Spiralling Shape. I have no clue why, but if I were about to die, and I knew it, I'd want to hear Spiralling Shape. It's not my favourite TMBG song at all, it really has nothing to do with death...but there it is. I was actually thinking about this a few months ago when on a plane. I was wondering if the plane I was on would crash, and I decided that, if it did, Spiralling Shape would be a good song to be listening to. jessie. ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20020430114728.36332.qmail@web14007.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 04:47:28 -0700 (PDT) From: john crider Subject: TMBG: Songs to die to I have been lurking here for quite sometime and decided to finally speak up. The song I would want on my deathbed is Fibber Island. Maybe because I would want to lie to myself the whole time "I'm not gonna die, I'm not gonna die, I'm not gonna die... " Later, John (I am sure I'm not a Giant) __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! Health - your guide to health and wellness http://health.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:44:48 -0400 From: NitpickR@aol.com Subject: TMBG: =?ISO-8859-1?B?oCBUTUJHOiBSZTpKb3NodWEgRnJpZWQgIGFuZCBEQyBTaG93IFRhc3RlZSBEaW5lciBydW4=?= Message-ID: <33852736.787B9FE8.007CDD34@aol.com> Hello 41- I'd just like to say for the record that Joshua Fried events are really cool and worth checking out. If not for his telling about us on this list I wouldn't have made it to most of his shows. And as for some TMBG content, at the last Headphone Follies this woman sang this bizarre version of Lullabys to Nightmares. Robin Goldwasswer performed and Flans was in the audience. It was cool. Also, TMBG is playing in DC in a bit. For free! I'm coming down for the show and haven't had Tastee DIner in *way* too long. So who wants to go? I know Bryce is in. 8^) ~Adam ------------------------------ Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: [experimental]Next Week-NYC-HEADSET SEXTET Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:48:50 -0400 Message-ID: From: "Karin Highfield" Damn, the boy's got a point, there.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** > -----Original Message----- > From: John David Crafton [mailto:hypertext_eye@yahoo.com] > --- Karin Highfield wrote: > > If you were given the death penalty, which TMBG song > > would you want to hear as your last song on earth, > > as you were lying there waiting for the IV to do its > > deadly work? > > i can't believe no one has said this. > > The End of the Tour > > 'nuff said. > > -- > John David Crafton > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Yahoo! Health - your guide to health and wellness > http://health.yahoo.com > ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:47:59 -0400 From: Jennifer CG Nelson Subject: TMBG: which TMBG song --- Karin Highfield wrote: > If you were given the death penalty, which TMBG song > would you want to hear as your last song on earth, > as you were lying there waiting for the IV to do its > deadly work? i'd pick: "no one knows my plan" : ) just to get them thinking. ------------------------------ Subject: RE: TMBG: Unnh, where list go? Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:10:13 -0400 Message-ID: From: "Karin Highfield" Hi Bryce!!!! You really haven't missed much. We had to excommunicate Nathan for saying that Flans was just kd lang in drag,and we've pretty much decided that Joshua Fried must die, but that's really all the fun you've missed. Oh, and Kay already told us about her interview with Flans, but i don't think anyone even responded. I think the List has been assimilated by the Borg, & is just keeping up appearances... Welcome back! Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** > -----Original Message----- > From: Bryce [mailto:bryce@tmbg.org] > Sent: Monday, April 29, 2002 10:24 PM > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: Unnh, where list go? > > > Hey, my email was out for a few days, and now it's back but I > think I was > booted from the list in the meanwhile. However, it doesn't > look like I missed > anything; the archive shows no activity for like a week, > until today. Is that > right? > > If so, there's a great Flans interview here: > http://www.culturedose.com/ > > Also note that Dial-a-Song now features "Words Are Like" > (with Laura Cantrell) > which was released on TMBG UnLtd, and also a hilarious > political-mudslinging-style "advertisement" by John Hodgman > of McSweeney's > fame. > > Bryce > It's good to be back. > > > ------------------------------ From: "Dan Geiser" Subject: TMBG: "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" via Tolkein Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:44:00 -0400 Message-ID: http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3CCAD00E.2BABCD8%40cox.net Minas Morgul was Minas Ithil, Now it's Minas Morgul, not Minas Ithil. Been a long time dark for old Minas Ithil, In the moonless night, by runic light. The Uruk-hai in old Minas Ithil Lurk in Minas Morgul, not Minas Ithil So if you've a doom in old Minas Ithil It awaits thee in fell Morgul. Even old Mirkwood was once the Greenwood Great. Why it changed, I dare not say. [Evil One liked it better that way.] So, take me back to old Minas Ithil. No, the road goes not to old Minas Ithil. All the lights are out, in old Minas Ithil-- Why did old Minas Ithil pop its corks? That's nobody's business but the Orks. ------------------------------ Subject: RE: TMBG: "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" via Tolkein Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:18:53 -0400 Message-ID: From: "Karin Highfield" That's beautiful, in a multi-directionally obsessive sort of way!! Who is responsible for this, apart from some guy on some message board? Anybody you know, Dan? > -----Original Message----- > From: Dan Geiser [mailto:dgeiser13@hotmail.com] > Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 10:44 AM > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" via Tolkein > > > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3CCAD00E.2BABCD8%40cox.net > > Minas Morgul was Minas Ithil, > Now it's Minas Morgul, not Minas Ithil. > Been a long time dark for old Minas Ithil, > In the moonless night, by runic light. > > The Uruk-hai in old Minas Ithil > Lurk in Minas Morgul, not Minas Ithil > So if you've a doom in old Minas Ithil > It awaits thee in fell Morgul. > > Even old Mirkwood was once the Greenwood Great. > Why it changed, I dare not say. > [Evil One liked it better that way.] > > So, take me back to old Minas Ithil. > No, the road goes not to old Minas Ithil. > All the lights are out, in old Minas Ithil-- > > Why did old Minas Ithil pop its corks? > That's nobody's business but the Orks. > > ------------------------------ From: "Dan Geiser" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" via Tolkein Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 12:25:27 -0400 Message-ID: Nope, I don't know him personally. Just came across a link on Blogdex and thought I'd post for all to see. > That's beautiful, in a multi-directionally obsessive sort of way!! > Who is responsible for this, apart from some guy on some message board? Anybody you know, Dan? > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Dan Geiser [mailto:dgeiser13@hotmail.com] > > Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 10:44 AM > > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > Subject: TMBG: "Istanbul (Not Constantinople)" via Tolkein > > > > > > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3CCAD00E.2BABCD8%40cox.net > > > > Minas Morgul was Minas Ithil, > > Now it's Minas Morgul, not Minas Ithil. > > Been a long time dark for old Minas Ithil, > > In the moonless night, by runic light. > > > > The Uruk-hai in old Minas Ithil > > Lurk in Minas Morgul, not Minas Ithil > > So if you've a doom in old Minas Ithil > > It awaits thee in fell Morgul. > > > > Even old Mirkwood was once the Greenwood Great. > > Why it changed, I dare not say. > > [Evil One liked it better that way.] > > > > So, take me back to old Minas Ithil. > > No, the road goes not to old Minas Ithil. > > All the lights are out, in old Minas Ithil-- > > > > Why did old Minas Ithil pop its corks? > > That's nobody's business but the Orks. > > > > > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <022d01c1f06c$92b9d130$b31510ac@visualnetworks.com> From: "Bryce" Subject: Re: TMBG: Unnh, where list go? Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:29:24 -0400 Nathan Mulac DeHoff : > Laura Cantrell sings on "Words Are Like"? How did you > find this out? Hmm. Good question. It's not mentioned in Flansburgh's UnLtd email from September, and I can't find it in the newsgroup archives. The song was featured on Dial-a-Song before, though, about the same time it was made a free EMusic download, so maybe I heard it from one of those sources. I find that it's a little disturbing to forget where you learned something like this. It chips away a little bit of your confidence in reality and your own mind. Anyway, I know I heard it somewhere reasonably authoritative, sometime near the song's original release. Also, it just sounds like her. If you get the chance, compare her background vocals on her album "Not the Tremblin' Kind" (available on EMusic as we speak). In particular for the purposes of this comparison, check out the song "Two Seconds," but the whole album deserves to occupy your ears for a while. Bryce Where, you may forget. ------------------------------ Subject: RE: TMBG: Unnh, where list go? Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:38:39 -0400 Message-ID: From: "Karin Highfield" Bryce sez: > It chips away a little bit of your confidence in reality and your > own mind. Hate to break it to ya, Bryce, but if you still have confidence in either reality or your own mind, you've got some tough lessons coming up... If you still have confidence in *both* reality and your own mind, you're overtly psychotic. We still love you, though.... Karin H ** FREE THE EXPO 67 ** ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:46:56 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: =?ISO-8859-1?B?oCBUTUJHOiBSZTpKb3NodWEgRnJpZWQgIGFuZCBEQyBTaG93IFRhc3RlZSBEaW5lciBydW4=?= Message-ID: <20020430.144700.-524517.0.mdance1124@juno.com> From: Miranda Phifer Now, when is this free show in DC????? =) ~Miranda On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 09:44:48 -0400 NitpickR@aol.com writes: > Hello 41- > > I'd just like to say for the record that Joshua Fried events are > really cool and worth checking out. If not for his telling about us > on this list I wouldn't have made it to most of his shows. And as > for some TMBG content, at the last Headphone Follies this woman sang > this bizarre version of Lullabys to Nightmares. Robin Goldwasswer > performed and Flans was in the audience. > > It was cool. > > > Also, TMBG is playing in DC in a bit. For free! I'm coming down > for the show and haven't had Tastee DIner in *way* too long. So who > wants to go? I know Bryce is in. 8^) > > ~Adam > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:43:47 -0400 From: Furfr@aol.com Subject: TMBG: =?ISO-8859-1?B?VE1CRzogUmU6Sm9zaHVhIEZyaWVkIKBhbmQgREMgU2hvdyBUYXN0ZWUgRGluZXIgcnVu?= Message-ID: <5CD09B41.4B785DCE.0000F199@aol.com> I wish you guys would quit talking about that show. I mean, there's absolutely no way I'm going to be able to get to DC at exactly that time on that particular day. At least it's not $10! ;))) In a message dated Tue, 30 Apr 2002 2:33:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Miranda Phifer writes: >Now, when is this free show in DC????? =) >~Miranda ------------------------------ Message-ID: <028b01c1f07c$0b71e8b0$b31510ac@visualnetworks.com> From: "Bryce" Subject: Re: TMBG: DC Show / Tastee Diner run Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:20:09 -0400 Adam: > > Also, TMBG is playing in DC in a bit. For free! I'm coming > > down for the show and haven't had Tastee DIner in *way* > > too long. So who wants to go? I know Bryce is in. 8^) Miranda: > Now, when is this free show in DC????? =) It's part of G Street Live, an outdoor concert series. The TMBG show is June 29, a Saturday. I'll definitely be there. There was a website at gstreetlive.com, but it's down right now. There's a Tastee Diner in Bethesda, is that the one you mean? (There's another in Fairfax VA, which is somewhat less convenient for yours truly.) Bryce Dinner bell, dinner bell, ring. ------------------------------ From: "Dan Geiser" Subject: Re:_TMBG:_Re:Joshua_Fried_ and_DC_Show_Tastee_Diner_run Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:37:52 -0400 Message-ID: Yes, but at least they are talking about a TMBG show. ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 2:43 PM Subject: TMBG: TMBG: Re:Joshua Fried and DC Show Tastee Diner run > I wish you guys would quit talking about that show. I mean, there's absolutely no way I'm going to be able to get to DC at exactly that time on that particular day. At least it's not $10! ;))) > > In a message dated Tue, 30 Apr 2002 2:33:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Miranda Phifer writes: > > >Now, when is this free show in DC????? =) > >~Miranda > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:01:36 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: DC Show / Tastee Diner run Message-ID: <20020430.160138.-352949.1.mdance1124@juno.com> From: Miranda Phifer man0nam!!! I know there is no way in hell i can make it! =( *sigh...hopeless bleak despair... Miranda On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:20:09 -0400 "Bryce" writes: > Adam: > > > Also, TMBG is playing in DC in a bit. For free! I'm coming > > > down for the show and haven't had Tastee DIner in *way* > > > too long. So who wants to go? I know Bryce is in. 8^) > > Miranda: > > Now, when is this free show in DC????? =) > > It's part of G Street Live, an outdoor concert series. The TMBG > show is June > 29, a Saturday. I'll definitely be there. There was a website at > gstreetlive.com, but it's down right now. > > There's a Tastee Diner in Bethesda, is that the one you mean? > (There's > another in Fairfax VA, which is somewhat less convenient for yours > truly.) > > Bryce > Dinner bell, dinner bell, ring. > > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:58:22 -0400 Subject: Re: TMBG: =?ISO-8859-1?B?VE1CRzogUmU6Sm9zaHVhIEZyaWVkIKBhbmQgREMgU2hvdyBUYXN0ZWUgRGluZXIgcnVu?= Message-ID: <20020430.160138.-352949.0.mdance1124@juno.com> From: Miranda Phifer Hey...i prob can't make it either...=( On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:43:47 -0400 Furfr@aol.com writes: > I wish you guys would quit talking about that show. I mean, there's > absolutely no way I'm going to be able to get to DC at exactly that > time on that particular day. At least it's not $10! ;))) > > In a message dated Tue, 30 Apr 2002 2:33:24 PM Eastern Daylight > Time, Miranda Phifer writes: > > >Now, when is this free show in DC????? =) > >~Miranda > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:58:40 -0400 From: Furfr@aol.com Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: DC Show / Tastee Diner run Message-ID: <1EB4AEC6.2843B838.0000F199@aol.com> Well, that certainly went downhill quickly! In a message dated Tue, 30 Apr 2002 3:51:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Miranda Phifer writes: >man0nam!!! I know there is no way in hell i can make it! =( >*sigh...hopeless bleak despair... > >Miranda ------------------------------ Subject: RE: Re: TMBG: DC Show / Tastee Diner run Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:08:24 -0400 Message-ID: From: "Karin Highfield" Word of the day: degringolade \day-gran-guh-LAHD\ (noun) : a rapid decline or deterioration (as in strength, position, or condition) > -----Original Message----- > From: Furfr@aol.com [mailto:Furfr@aol.com] > Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 3:59 PM > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: DC Show / Tastee Diner run > > > Well, that certainly went downhill quickly! > > In a message dated Tue, 30 Apr 2002 3:51:39 PM Eastern > Daylight Time, Miranda Phifer writes: > > >man0nam!!! I know there is no way in hell i can make it! =( > >*sigh...hopeless bleak despair... > > > >Miranda > > ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 17:22:19 -0400 Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: DC Show / Tastee Diner run Message-ID: <20020430.172221.-1081541.0.mdance1124@juno.com> From: Miranda Phifer well...i can't make it to the dc show...but at least i'm going to an accordion festival the day before at Disney =) hahaha...i need to get a new one, mine is so old and out of tune! (yes, yes...i was inspired by Linnel...and i am a dork) ~Miranda On Tue, 30 Apr 2002 16:08:24 -0400 "Karin Highfield" writes: > Word of the day: > degringolade \day-gran-guh-LAHD\ (noun) > : a rapid decline or deterioration (as in strength, > position, or condition) > > > -----Original Message----- > > From: Furfr@aol.com [mailto:Furfr@aol.com] > > Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2002 3:59 PM > > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > Subject: Re: Re: TMBG: DC Show / Tastee Diner run > > > > > > Well, that certainly went downhill quickly! > > > > In a message dated Tue, 30 Apr 2002 3:51:39 PM Eastern > > Daylight Time, Miranda Phifer writes: > > > > >man0nam!!! I know there is no way in hell i can make it! =( > > >*sigh...hopeless bleak despair... > > > > > >Miranda > > > > > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #53-1 *****************************