Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #54-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 54, Number 12 Wednesday, 12 June 2002 Today's Topics: TMBG: No! Review Re: TMBG: No! Review TMBG: No! Problems Re: TMBG: No! Problems TMBG: No! spoiled Re: TMBG: No! Problems Re: TMBG: No! Problems Re: TMBG: No! Problems Re: TMBG: No! Problems Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:20:53 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: No! Review Message-ID: Checking in with my No! review... I'm charmed! It's a mixture of nonsensical songs ("Violin", "Wake-Up Call"), songs that sound like those public service announcement songs they used to have on PBS ("In the Middle") and just plain fun songs (everything else except "John Lee Supertaster", which I didn't really care for.) The biggest surprise, for me, was the number of drastic reworkings. (In fact, the only song that has stayed the same since I first heard it was "Edison Museum".) Frankly, I prefer the new "4 of 2" to the older, macabre version. And what a pleasant shock to hear "What Is Everybody Staring At" resurrected (melody, anyway) as "Sleepwalkers"! --nicole twn *** This statement is neither true nor self-referential. Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org carlsonn@seclab.cs.ucdavis.edu ------------------------------ From: "The Farking Disc" Subject: Re: TMBG: No! Review Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 19:00:31 +0000 Message-ID: I just realized that it's nine months to the day since Mink Car was released. I guess I'm a little slow..;) >From: Nicole Carlson >Reply-To: Nicole Carlson >To: >Subject: TMBG: No! Review >Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:20:53 -0700 (PDT) > >Checking in with my No! review... I'm charmed! It's a mixture of >nonsensical songs ("Violin", "Wake-Up Call"), songs that sound like those >public service announcement songs they used to have on PBS ("In the >Middle") and just plain fun songs (everything else except "John Lee >Supertaster", which I didn't really care for.) > >The biggest surprise, for me, was the number of drastic reworkings. (In >fact, the only song that has stayed the same since I first heard it was >"Edison Museum".) Frankly, I prefer the new "4 of 2" to the older, >macabre version. And what a pleasant shock to hear "What Is Everybody >Staring At" resurrected (melody, anyway) as "Sleepwalkers"! > >--nicole twn > >*** >This statement is neither true nor self-referential. >Visit Nicolopolis! http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~carlsonn >nmcarlson@ucdavis.edu ana.ng@tmbg.org carlsonn@seclab.cs.ucdavis.edu _________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx ------------------------------ Message-ID: <410-220026211201910942@tmbg.cc> From: makebase@tmbg.cc Subject: TMBG: No! Problems Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:19:10 -0400 So, I had the hardest time getting my copy of No! today. I walked into Media Play and looked in the "T" section and could find no copies of No! So, I went to the "New Release" section and couldn't find it there. I then had an epiphany and it occurred to me to check the "Children's Music" section. Still, I had no luck. Defeated, I decided to put my male pride aside and ask the music clerk where it was. "Excuse me, do you have the new They Might Be Giants CD that came out today?" I ask the clerk. "Who's They May Be Giants?" she responds. "Oh dear," I think to myself. "No. They Might Be Giants." I say. "Oh. Let me see...." She looks something up in a binder then types into a computer which takes much time to respond. She types some more and then we wait some more for the computer to respond. She sighs as if I'm keeping her from something more important. She types some more and again waits for the computer to respond. Finally, after another screen pops up she asks, "Do you know the name of the album?" "No!" I say. "You don't know? There are a lot listed here. You don't have a clue?" "No, I know. It's No!" "'No' you know or 'no' you don't know?" "'No' as in I know. No!" "No, I don't know. I don't know what you are talking about. Are you saying 'no' as in 'no, I do not know' or 'no' as in 'yes, I do know'?" "Yes." "'Yes' what? 'Yes' meaning 'yes' or 'yes' meaning 'no'?" "My answer is 'yes' meaning 'yes'--it is No!" "What? 'Yes you know that you don't know'?" "No. Yes I know. Yes I know I know. I know. It is No!" "You say you know but you don't know?" "No. I do know. The name is No!" "The NAME is No? How odd. Let me get this straight; the CD is called No?" "Yes." "It's called Yes?" "No, I said 'yes' meaning 'No!'" "Oh, so it's not called No?" "No! It IS No!" "Excuse me, I don't follow." "The name of the CD is No!" "Not Yes?" "Correct. It is not called Yes. It is called No!" "I don't see anything in the computer called Yes OR No. Are you sure it was being released today?" "Yes." "Yes meaning what?" "Never mind." And I walked away. Okay, so it didn't really happen that way and I apologize for putting you through all that. But clerk did inform me that No! had not arrived in their regular shipment. Sullen-faced, I had to walk out of Media Play without my much-anticipated copy of No! Next door to Media Play is a Circuit City so I tried there. No luck there either, but I did find a CD called "They Might Be Giants: The Best of the Early Years" for $5.99 that I was tempted to buy and had I had more cash on me I would have bought, in spite of the fact that everything on it was from the pink album or Lincoln. It did have the album art from the "Don't Let's Start" single though, and that's a plus I guess. Still, it was no No!. So, I went across the street to America's largest music distributor, Wal-Mart, in the hopes of finding No! there. No luck there either. That was just as well, I figured, because had they had it, it probably would have been a "clean" version with all the profanity cleverly edited out. Sadly I had to turn around, walk past all the "Now That's What I Call Music" CDs and look elsewhere. Just a quick jaunt away is a Shopko, so I popped in. Not only did I not find No! there, I couldn't even find a customer. Granted, it was the middle of the day, but I found this rather eerie and quickly left. Disappointed, I began my journey home. Nearly there I noticed a Graywhale CD store, purveyors of new and used CDs, movies, video games, and concert tickets. Why anyone would want a used concert ticket I'll never know. Without high hopes I checked the shelf and found four They Might Be Giants CDs, ONE of which was No! Elated, I snatched it up and purchased it for the outrageous price of way too much money. As far as reviews go, I say it was well worth the trouble and cost of procuring it. Much of it is passingly familiar, but the rest is also very cool. I especially like "Bed Bed Bed." I only wish I had kids to share it all with. Wow, I don't say that often. My real point in all this was to ask if anyone else had a problem finding No! After it being a no-show (pun unintended) at four places, I was beginning to wonder if there might be distribution problems. Having found it, though, I wonder about my original wonder. I hope all of you had an easier time finding it than I did. Anyway, now that I spent all this trouble looking for it, I'm tired and "now I'm going to bed...bed bed bed bed bed." Shaun TMBG Citizen of Utah www.tmbg.cc ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: No! Problems Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 01:45:43 +0000 Message-ID: Shaun: >So, I had the hardest time getting my copy of No! today. I walked >into Media Play and looked in the "T" section and could find no >copies of No! So, I went to the "New Release" section and couldn't >find it there. I then had an epiphany and it occurred to me to check >the "Children's Music" section. Still, I had no luck. Defeated, I >decided to put my male pride aside and ask the music clerk where it >was. > >"Excuse me, do you have the new They Might Be Giants CD that came out >today?" I ask the clerk. > >"Who's They May Be Giants?" she responds. > >"Oh dear," I think to myself. "No. They Might Be Giants." I say. > >"Oh. Let me see...." She looks something up in a binder then types >into a computer which takes much time to respond. She types some >more and then we wait some more for the computer to respond. She >sighs as if I'm keeping her from something more important. She types >some more and again waits for the computer to respond. Finally, >after another screen pops up she asks, "Do you know the name of the >album?" > >"No!" I say. > >"You don't know? There are a lot listed here. You don't have a >clue?" > >"No, I know. It's No!" > >"'No' you know or 'no' you don't know?" I had a conversation somewhat like this at FYE: "Is the new They Might Be Giants in?" "Do you know the name of it?" "No!" "No! is the name of the album, or no, you don't know?" I wonder if TMBG gave it that name just so people could have these Abbott-and-Costello-type arguments with record clerks. At least these people realized that "No!" COULD be the title. >Next door to Media Play is a Circuit City so I tried there. No luck >there either, but I did find a CD called "They Might Be Giants: The >Best of the Early Years" for $5.99 that I was tempted to buy and had >I had more cash on me I would have bought, in spite of the fact that >everything on it was from the pink album or Lincoln. It did have the >album art from the "Don't Let's Start" single though, and that's a >plus I guess. Still, it was no No!. That cover has confused me before. "Wow, the Don't Let's Start single? Oh, no, it's just that rip-off compilation." Not that I have any need to buy that single either, since I already have all the songs from it, but I might get it anyway if I saw it in a store. I think "The Best of the Early Years" is some BMG thing. They have another one called "Live," which is basically half of Severe Tire Damage. >My real point in all this was to ask if anyone else had a problem >finding No! After it being a no-show (pun unintended) at four >places, I was beginning to wonder if there might be distribution >problems. Having found it, though, I wonder about my original >wonder. I hope all of you had an easier time finding it than I did. I found it at Sam Goody, but it was $18.99, so I didn't get it. FYE said they'd probably get it in tomorrow. Coconuts didn't know what I was talking about, and said it wasn't on their list. If FYE doesn't have it soon, and for less money, maybe I'll just buy an $18.99 copy. Incidentally, Sam Goody had it in the regular TMBG section, not in children's music (which, at all three stores, was a rather pathetic section made up pretty much entirely of kids' show soundtracks and "songs for kids" collections, with few or no actual albums as such) or new releases. Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp. ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 21:49:07 EDT Subject: TMBG: No! spoiled Yeah, so I've had the promo for a while. Should I eBay the promo now, and get the real one from FYE? Really? DRW ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:09:06 -0400 From: PRMega@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: No! Problems Message-ID: <7FBE6863.78E6CE11.0004CA9C@aol.com> I, too, had an interesting experience obtaining "No!" today. I went to 2 different stores, neither of which had it. I finally got to a third store, and searched for it for about 10 minutes. Finally, I find it mixed with a bunch of random stuff. As I approached the cash register, my cell phone rang. It was my insurance agent calling so have what turned out to be about a 20 minute discussion. While talking to the guy, I look up to see a man run out of the store, followed by a crutch flying at the door. Suddenly, the cashier flies over the counter (with a bum foot) and chases the guy out of the store. A minute later, the cashier walks back in with a CD the customer had attempted to steal. I then paid for "No!" and got the hell out of there. PR Mega ------------------------------ From: BethJE@aol.com Message-ID: <110.1381dc58.2a3815ef@aol.com> Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:11:43 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: No! Problems I, too, had an interesting experience obtaining "No!" today. I went to 2 different stores, neither of which had it. Wow, I got mine at Best Buy with no trouble at all. It's so happycute. Beth Word up. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] Beth: >I, too, had an interesting experience obtaining "No!" today. I went to 2 >different stores, neither of which had it. > >Wow, I got mine at Best Buy with no trouble at all. Must be nice to have a Best Buy nearby. Maybe I should move there. Nathan _________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Jun 12 00:28:00 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5C4S0O38010 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:28:00 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from sccmmhc02.mchsi.com (sccmmhc02.mchsi.com [204.127.203.184]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5C4RxJ38004 for ; Wed, 12 Jun 2002 00:27:59 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from itsfuntosteal@mchsi.com) Received: from c128776a ([12.217.73.165]) by sccmmhc02.mchsi.com (InterMail vM.4.01.03.27 201-229-121-127-20010626) with SMTP id <20020612042754.GVRY25309.sccmmhc02.mchsi.com@c128776a> for ; Wed, 12 Jun 2002 04:27:54 +0000 Message-ID: <000a01c211c9$a36689a0$a549d90c@mchsi.com> From: "Jackie York" To: References: Subject: Re: TMBG: No! Problems Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:28:43 -0500 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Jackie York" > I found it at Sam Goody, but it was $18.99, so I didn't get it. FYE said > they'd probably get it in tomorrow. Coconuts didn't know what I was talking > about, and said it wasn't on their list. If FYE doesn't have it soon, and > for less money, maybe I'll just buy an $18.99 copy. Incidentally, Sam Goody > had it in the regular TMBG section, not in children's music (which, at all > three stores, was a rather pathetic section made up pretty much entirely of > kids' show soundtracks and "songs for kids" collections, with few or no > actual albums as such) or new releases. > > Nathan I got mine at Sam Goody with my discount, but I would have been happy to pay full price just to get one. I'm really glad I reserved it because they didn't get any copies other than the one I reserved a month ago. Both of our Best Buy stores had decent supplies of No! I was suprised it wasn't in Children's music at all. Listening to TMBG on WNYC.org this afternoon, it seemed as if they believed that's where it might be filed. Jackie ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #54-12 ******************************