Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #54-14 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 54, Number 14 Friday, 14 June 2002 Today's Topics: TMBG: TMBG's rejected song list from NO! TMBG: Re: TMBG's rejected song list from NO! Re: TMBG: No! Problems RE: TMBG: More No! TMBG: A possibly good idea Re: TMBG: A possibly good idea Re: TMBG: A possibly good idea Re: TMBG: More No! RE: TMBG: A possibly good idea Re: TMBG: Songs for kids (was TMBG's rejected song list from NO!) TMBG: No! Problems Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 02:48:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Jason Glastetter Subject: TMBG: TMBG's rejected song list from NO! Message-ID: >>So what? It's not as if kids don't know what beer is, or that the song is >>encouraging kids to drink it. This has inspired me to make a list of songs that TMBG considered for No! but ultimately rejected: You Are Different and That's Bad The Boy Who Died From Eating All His Vegetables Dad's New Wife Robert Fun Four-letter Words to Know and Share Kathy Was So Bad Her Mom Stopped Loving Her All Cats Go to Hell The Little Sissy Who Snitched Some Kittens Can Fly That's it, I'm Putting You Up for Adoption Grandpa Gets a Casket Strangers Have the Best Candy Whining, Kicking and Crying to Get Your Way You Were an Accident Things Rich Kids Have, But You Never Will Pop! Goes The Hamster...And Other Great Microwave Games Yes, those are all stolen from another email, but it works for this as well. Oh, and I just think songs like In the Middle, and Fibber Island, the way they are performed sounds like kids songs, as opposed to say rock songs for kids...which isn't a bad thing, because it is a kids album, it's just not my style. --Jason Glastetter ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00d201c212cb$3e88a9c0$6d98e23f@oemcomputer> From: "James and Kimberly Mohan" Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG's rejected song list from NO! Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 06:12:44 -0500 Of course, let's not forget those other rejected songs Running with Scissors I Wish You Were Never Born Once More and I'll Turn This Car Around My Mother Dresses Me Funny I Wet My Pants Playing in Traffic Me and Father O'Brien Let's Play Doctor! Ethyl the Aardvark Goes Quantity Surveying ..ok..that last one came from a Monty Python skit, but I couldn't pass it up. --Jim Mohan TMBG Amb to MN (Boss of) Mr. Me This has inspired me to make a list of songs that TMBG considered for No! but ultimately rejected: You Are Different and That's Bad The Boy Who Died From Eating All His Vegetables Dad's New Wife Robert Fun Four-letter Words to Know and Share Kathy Was So Bad Her Mom Stopped Loving Her All Cats Go to Hell The Little Sissy Who Snitched Some Kittens Can Fly That's it, I'm Putting You Up for Adoption Grandpa Gets a Casket Strangers Have the Best Candy Whining, Kicking and Crying to Get Your Way You Were an Accident Things Rich Kids Have, But You Never Will Pop! Goes The Hamster...And Other Great Microwave Games Yes, those are all stolen from another email, but it works for this as well. Oh, and I just think songs like In the Middle, and Fibber Island, the way they are performed sounds like kids songs, as opposed to say rock songs for kids...which isn't a bad thing, because it is a kids album, it's just not my style. --Jason Glastetter ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:59:12 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: No! Problems But Kay if you bought both copies doesn't that mean there is a Giants fan in your home town who won't be able to get a copy and tonight they will go to sleep all upset - that's if they ever get to sleep at all! Richard >>> 12/06/02 12:27:11 >>> In a message dated 6/12/2002 7:19:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time, python@bu.edu writes: > Neither Best Buy, Circuit City, Media Play, Starwberries, nor Barnes and > Noble had the CD. After about 90 minutes of searching central > connecticut, I found a single, absurdly overpriced CD at Borders, which, > to be honest, did somewhat soil the experience of getting a new TMBG CD. > Ah, good ol' Borders. Ever since I discovered TMBG, I have always been able to count on them to have the newest TMBG the day it comes out. I got Factory Showroom, Severe Tire Damage, and Mink Car there all on the days of their respective releases, and they even had It's Fun to Steal and State Songs on their release dates. This time, however, I almost didn't buy NO from them because when I called them over the weekend to see if they would have it, I apparently got the one clueless employee they had, because he told me they weren't going to be getting any in that day. So I checked a few of the nearest Specs and FYE's and they didn't have it. Feeling desperate, I went to Borders and found that yes, they did have it. I bought both of the copies they had and went on my merry way. In short, yay, Borders, I'm sorry I doubted you! Kay ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: RE: TMBG: More No! Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:51:55 -0400 Message-ID: From: "Karin Highfield" "...I came back as a bag of groceries..." Karin H > -----Original Message----- > From: TMBG37@aol.com [mailto:TMBG37@aol.com] > Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 6:38 PM > To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org > Subject: TMBG: More No! > > > Say, on the topic of No!, does anyone notice the confusion > over the name of > the song "I am a Grocery Bag?" I put the CD in my computer, > opened Windows > Media Player, it got the song names, and one of them was "I > am not a Grocery > Bag". Make up your mind, are you a grocery bag or not? geez... > > ==================================================== > > Evil lurks where you least expect it... So check your sock drawer. > > ==================================================== > ------------------------------ From: "John Landis" Subject: TMBG: A possibly good idea Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 15:09:23 +0000 Message-ID: Playing with the cool flash stuff on NO! gave me an idea. How cool would it be if some of us as fans could design Flash stuff to go along with prexisting TMBG songs. I don't know a damn thing about Flash, and I'm far to lazy to attack a project like this myself, but I think it'd be a fun thing for any of you who need to develop your flash skills anyway. -John "third John" Landis _________________________________________________________________ Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. http://www.hotmail.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <1023982596.3d08bc0486670@webmail2.namezero.com> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:36:36 -0400 From: Bryce Subject: Re: TMBG: A possibly good idea John Landis : > How cool would it be if some of us as fans could design > Flash stuff to go along with prexisting TMBG songs. I > don't know a damn thing about Flash, and I'm far to > lazy to attack a project like this myself, but I think > it'd be a fun thing for any of you who need to develop > your flash skills anyway. I was thinking about this too. I might do one after my online searchable lyric archive needs less attention. (This is almost ready for the public, by the way. It's basically working, I just need to account for special characters in words like "frere," and tweak some display things.) We'd have to just do songs that have already been released freely, though, otherwise we'd be giving their songs away. That kind of limits our options. Bryce ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3D08BE1E.A97D4DBE@tmbg.org> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:45:34 -0500 From: Mitch Harding Subject: Re: TMBG: A possibly good idea Bryce wrote: > I was thinking about this too. I might do one after my online searchable lyric > archive needs less attention. (This is almost ready for the public, by the > way. It's basically working, I just need to account for special characters in > words like "frere," and tweak some display things.) Will your search support such queries as: 1) List all songs whose lyrics contain no words longer than 9 letters 2) List all songs whose lyrics contain no words of greater than 4 syllables, and whose titles contain at least one word that rhymes with some type of fruit 3) List all songs that make reference to death and whose lyrics remind me of that time in 3rd grade when a girl broke her arm and we took a field trip to the hospital to visit her 4) List all songs whose lyrics express the true meaning of the human condition, but don't do so in a trite fashion, and whose lyrics have a number of letters equal to the number of times ones of the Johns has said the word "trombone" -- Mitch http://www.mitcharf.com/ "Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance." - Autolycus (in Shakespeare's "The Winter's Tale") ------------------------------ From: "Patty Castillo" Subject: Re: TMBG: More No! Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:15:27 -0400 Message-ID: really? oddly enough, when i opened windows media player, it didn't recognize any of the songs, the album name, or the band name or genre... it was like i put in a burned cd or something... everything was unknown!.... weird.. -patty TMBG37@aol.com wrote: > >Say, on the topic of No!, does anyone notice the confusion over the name of >the song "I am a Grocery Bag?" I put the CD in my computer, opened Windows >Media Player, it got the song names, and one of them was "I am not a >Grocery >Bag". Make up your mind, are you a grocery bag or not? geez... > _________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx ------------------------------ Message-ID: <1023993802.3d08e7ca340ec@webmail2.namezero.com> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 14:43:22 -0400 From: Bryce Subject: RE: TMBG: A possibly good idea Mitch Harding : > Will your search support such queries as: > > 1) List all songs whose lyrics contain no words longer > than 9 letters I hadn't been planning on doing things like this, but it would certainly be possible. I can tell you that there are 5590 unique words in all the lyrics that are up there now, and, let's see... 920 of those have nine or more letters. (Hah! Regular expressions rock so hard.) And now I've got a list of those words, so I can find out which songs those appear in... take those out, and that leaves me with the following 68 songs. Robot Parade / R U Together / Save Your Life / Siftin' / Softly / Clap Your Hands / Somebody Took My Eye / Conquest of the Planet of the Apes / Swing is a Word / Taste the Bass / Tender is the Mind / Theme from Flood / Dig My Grave / Dollar for Dollar / The Biggest One / Doris Cunningham / 25 O'Clock / Dr. Kildare / About Me / Even My T-Shirt / The Famous Polka / The Writing's on the Wall / This Ape's for You / Utah / What Bothers the Spaceman / Wake Up Call / Welcome to the Jungle / Fake Out in Buenos Aires / Faster Better Now / WMOB ID / Wreck it Apart / Your Own Worst Enemy / Wicked Little Critta / Hello Hello / Hello Radio / Hi Honey, I'm Home / I'm Def / Indiana Wants Me / In the Middle / It's Getting Late / I Am a Grocery Bag / I Am a Human Head / I Beat the Wiz / I Blame You / Koenigstein / Lady is a Tramp / Larger than Life / Minimum Wage / Mona Lisa / Mr. & Mrs. Nuclear / Nevada / Nice is Good, Mean is Bad / No! / Now That You're One of Us / Nyquil Driver / Ohio / Older / Olive, the Other Reindeer / Oprah / Always Be Giant / Planet of the Apes / Pretty Fly / Processional (1) / Rabid Child / Bathymetry for Two / Battle for the Planet of They Might Be Giants / Battle for the Planet of the Apes / Be Patient When will I put the ability to do such queries on the site? "Next release." :) > 2) List all songs whose lyrics contain no words of greater > than 4 syllables, and whose titles contain at least one word > that rhymes with some type of fruit Okay, but excluding gooseberries because I don't really like them. > 3) List all songs that make reference to death and whose > lyrics remind me of that time in 3rd grade when a girl broke > her arm and we took a field trip to the hospital to visit her http://tmbg.bryceland.com/lyricsearch/?remindMitch=incident34026015&topic=death > 4) List all songs whose lyrics express the true meaning of > the human condition, but don't do so in a trite fashion, and > whose lyrics have a number of letters equal to the number > of times ones of the Johns has said the word "trombone" That's an easy one: {} Bryce ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Songs for kids (was TMBG's rejected song list from NO!) Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:09:15 +0000 Message-ID: Jason: >Yes, those are all stolen from another email, but it works for this as >well. Oh, and I just think songs like In the Middle, and Fibber Island, >the way they are performed sounds like kids songs, as opposed to say rock >songs for kids...which isn't a bad thing, because it is a kids album, it's >just not my style. "Fibber Island" does sound like it was written and performed for kids, yet there's still quite a bit of vintage TMBG in it, with the nonsense lyrics and such. Robin Goldwasser's singing really makes "In The Middle," at least for me. (Then again, I think "Pretty Fly" sucks, so Robin's singing can't always make a song great.) Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <410-220026211201910942@tmbg.cc> From: makebase@tmbg.cc Subject: TMBG: No! Problems Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:19:10 -0400 So, I had the hardest time getting my copy of No! today. I walked into Media Play and looked in the "T" section and could find no copies of No! So, I went to the "New Release" section and couldn't find it there. I then had an epiphany and it occurred to me to check the "Children's Music" section. Still, I had no luck. Defeated, I decided to put my male pride aside and ask the music clerk where it was. "Excuse me, do you have the new They Might Be Giants CD that came out today?" I ask the clerk. "Who's They May Be Giants?" she responds. "Oh dear," I think to myself. "No. They Might Be Giants." I say. "Oh. Let me see...." She looks something up in a binder then types into a computer which takes much time to respond. She types some more and then we wait some more for the computer to respond. She sighs as if I'm keeping her from something more important. She types some more and again waits for the computer to respond. Finally, after another screen pops up she asks, "Do you know the name of the album?" "No!" I say. "You don't know? There are a lot listed here. You don't have a clue?" "No, I know. It's No!" "'No' you know or 'no' you don't know?" "'No' as in I know. No!" "No, I don't know. I don't know what you are talking about. Are you saying 'no' as in 'no, I do not know' or 'no' as in 'yes, I do know'?" "Yes." "'Yes' what? 'Yes' meaning 'yes' or 'yes' meaning 'no'?" "My answer is 'yes' meaning 'yes'--it is No!" "What? 'Yes you know that you don't know'?" "No. Yes I know. Yes I know I know. I know. It is No!" "You say you know but you don't know?" "No. I do know. The name is No!" "The NAME is No? How odd. Let me get this straight; the CD is called No?" "Yes." "It's called Yes?" "No, I said 'yes' meaning 'No!'" "Oh, so it's not called No?" "No! It IS No!" "Excuse me, I don't follow." "The name of the CD is No!" "Not Yes?" "Correct. It is not called Yes. It is called No!" "I don't see anything in the computer called Yes OR No. Are you sure it was being released today?" "Yes." "Yes meaning what?" "Never mind." And I walked away. Okay, so it didn't really happen that way and I apologize for putting you through all that. But clerk did inform me that No! had not arrived in their regular shipment. Sullen-faced, I had to walk out of Media Play without my much-anticipated copy of No! Next door to Media Play is a Circuit City so I tried there. No luck there either, but I did find a CD called "They Might Be Giants: The Best of the Early Years" for $5.99 that I was tempted to buy and had I had more cash on me I would have bought, in spite of the fact that everything on it was from the pink album or Lincoln. It did have the album art from the "Don't Let's Start" single though, and that's a plus I guess. Still, it was no No!. So, I went across the street to America's largest music distributor, Wal-Mart, in the hopes of finding No! there. No luck there either. That was just as well, I figured, because had they had it, it probably would have been a "clean" version with all the profanity cleverly edited out. Sadly I had to turn around, walk past all the "Now That's What I Call Music" CDs and look elsewhere. Just a quick jaunt away is a Shopko, so I popped in. Not only did I not find No! there, I couldn't even find a customer. Granted, it was the middle of the day, but I found this rather eerie and quickly left. Disappointed, I began my journey home. Nearly there I noticed a Graywhale CD store, purveyors of new and used CDs, movies, video games, and concert tickets. Why anyone would want a used concert ticket I'll never know. Without high hopes I checked the shelf and found four They Might Be Giants CDs, ONE of which was No! Elated, I snatched it up and purchased it for the outrageous price of way too much money. As far as reviews go, I say it was well worth the trouble and cost of procuring it. Much of it is passingly familiar, but the rest is also very cool. I especially like "Bed Bed Bed." I only wish I had kids to share it all with. Wow, I don't say that often. My real point in all this was to ask if anyone else had a problem finding No! After it being a no-show (pun unintended) at four places, I was beginning to wonder if there might be distribution problems. Having found it, though, I wonder about my original wonder. I hope all of you had an easier time finding it than I did. Anyway, now that I spent all this trouble looking for it, I'm tired and "now I'm going to bed...bed bed bed bed bed." Shaun TMBG Citizen of Utah www.tmbg.cc ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #54-14 ******************************