Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #54-17 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 54, Number 17 Monday, 17 June 2002 Today's Topics: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ TMBG: for coupon clippers TMBG: Re: NO! price Re: TMBG: Re: NO! price Re: TMBG: Re: NO! price Re: TMBG: Re: NO! price TMBG: problems with tmbg.net Re: TMBG: Re: NO! price TMBG: Dr. Spocks Back Up Band TMBG: St. George, UT Concert (was NO! price) Re: TMBG: Fate of "Monsters of Mud" Re: TMBG: Re: NO! price Re: TMBG: No! vs. Mink Car Fwd: TMBG: No! vs. Mink Car Re: TMBG: No! vs. Mink Car TMBG: No! Down Under. Re: TMBG: No! vs. Mink Car Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 03:15:00 -0400 (EDT) From: Majordomo Message-Id: <200206160715.g5G7F0X72869@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Subject: TMBG: tmbg-list FAQ *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** This notice is posted twice a month to tmbg-list and tmbg-digest, as well as sent to all new users. Please read it if you have questions about the list. The TMBG mailing list is administered by Leo Bicknell . It provides a forum for discussing They Might Be Giants and Their music. 1) Unsubscribing from the list It is easy to unsubscribe from this mailing list. If you are subscribed to the regular, or "bounce" list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-list e-mail@address in the body of a message to . To unsubscribe from the tmbg-digest digested version of the list, send the command unsubscribe tmbg-digest e-mail@address in the body of a message to . "e-mail@address" stands for the email address that is subscribed to the list. If you are sending the command from the email account that is subscribed, this part of the command is optional. If you have problems, send mail to . 2) Subscribing to the list Follow the instructions above for unsubscribing but send the word 'subscribe' rather than unsubscribe. :-) Keep in mind that tmbg-list will send you a copy of each message as it's written, which may be a lot. tmbg-digest will send you all the messages written in a day in the middle of the night. See http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/ for more information. 3) Sending messages to the list To send a message to the list just mail it to tmbg-list@tmbg.org and it will get sent out to everyone. Please don't mail any chain letters, make money fast schemes, "me too" messages, or anything else that doesn't contribute to the discussion about TMBG. IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT IMPORTANT When you send a message to the list you are sending messages to hundreds of people. Make sure that your message is one that hundreds of people need to read. Do not send "me too" messages to the list. Do not send messages about non-tmbg topics to the list. Hold private conversations in private e-mail. Sending messages that the list administrator deems off topic will result in your being removed from the list. 4) The TMBG FAQ The They Might Be Giants Frequently Asked Questions list is a compilation of the most requested information about the Johns. It is maintained by John Relph . To get the latest copy of the FAQ, you can do any of the following things. First, it is available on the World Wide Web at: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ.html and, for a plaintext version: http://reality.sgi.com/relph/music/TMBG-FAQ Second, it is posted regularly on the newsgroup alt.music.tmbg. Third, if you can't get to one of those places, you can mail me and I'll send you a copy. 5) The websites The unofficial web site, http://www.tmbg.org/ has all sorts of good TMBG information including information on this mailing list (http://www.tmbg.org/mail-news/) as well as pointers to where you can read the list via news. You'll also find lyrics, chords, and interpretations for many of the songs. Also try out the Official TMBG Website at: http://www.tmbg.com/ As always, thank you for your mind. *** ADMINISTRIVIA *** ------------------------------ From: "Miss Karen" Subject: TMBG: for coupon clippers Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 15:48:20 +0000 Message-ID: This is a 20% off coupon at Borders, where you can pick up "No!" if you haven't done so already: http://images.m0.net/catcontent/borders/newsletters/JuneNewsletter/bw_coupon1.htm Karen _________________________________________________________________ Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 12:27:51 -0400 Subject: TMBG: Re: NO! price From: Sean Kinlin Message-Id: <00C46382-8146-11D6-A488-00306599F1DA@cinci.rr.com> Nathan wrote: > I found it at Sam Goody, but it was $18.99, so I didn't get it. FYE > said > they'd probably get it in tomorrow. Coconuts didn't know what I was > talking > about, and said it wasn't on their list. If FYE doesn't have it soon, > and > for less money, maybe I'll just buy an $18.99 copy. Incidentally, Sam > Goody > had it in the regular TMBG section, not in children's music (which, at > all > three stores, was a rather pathetic section made up pretty much > entirely of > kids' show soundtracks and "songs for kids" collections, with few or no > actual albums as such) or new releases. > I haven't gotten No! yet, and plan to look for it at stores today. For the record, though, Amazon.com has it for sale for $13.49. I'll buy it from them if I can't find it locally for a similar or better price. -Sean ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20020616163006.1730.qmail@web11402.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 09:30:06 -0700 (PDT) From: John David Crafton Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NO! price > > I haven't gotten No! yet, and plan to look for it at stores today. > For the record, though, Amazon.com has it for sale for $13.49. I'll buy > it from them if I can't find it locally for a similar or better price. > > > -Sean > cdnow.com has it for $10.79. my copy shipped Friday. : ) ===== John David Crafton __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!? Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.2.20020616145704.02a7eb80@stout.hampshire.edu> Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 14:58:10 -0400 From: "Christine Fernsebner Eslao } sushiesque." Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NO! price I got mine at Newbury Comics (Amherst) for $9.99 a couple days ago. Christine At 12:30 PM 6/16/2002, John David Crafton wrote: > > > > I haven't gotten No! yet, and plan to look for it at stores today. > > For the record, though, Amazon.com has it for sale for $13.49. I'll buy > > it from them if I can't find it locally for a similar or better price. > > > > > > -Sean > > > >cdnow.com has it for $10.79. my copy shipped Friday. : ) > >===== >John David Crafton > >__________________________________________________ >Do You Yahoo!? >Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup >http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: "Dan Geiser" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NO! price Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 15:04:33 -0400 Message-ID: The official cheapest place to get No! on the Internet which I have found is at DeepDiscountCD (http://www.deepdiscountcd.com/). They have No! for $12.49 ($12.49 + Free Shipping). CDNow's price is $13.78 including shipping. Dan http://www.weblogs.org/ ----- Original Message ----- From: "John David Crafton" To: "Sean Kinlin" ; Sent: Sunday, June 16, 2002 12:30 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NO! price > > > > I haven't gotten No! yet, and plan to look for it at stores today. > > For the record, though, Amazon.com has it for sale for $13.49. I'll buy > > it from them if I can't find it locally for a similar or better price. > > > > > > -Sean > > > > cdnow.com has it for $10.79. my copy shipped Friday. : ) > > ===== > John David Crafton > > __________________________________________________ > Do You Yahoo!? > Yahoo! - Official partner of 2002 FIFA World Cup > http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com > ------------------------------ Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 15:29:08 -0400 (EDT) From: Josh Axelrad Subject: TMBG: problems with tmbg.net Message-ID: Hello, It is a long story but it looks like somebody has tried to hack into tmbg.net and delete everything. I caught the attempt in the middle but I currently can not access the machine. I am actually not even in the same city or state as the machine so I am trying to get somebody to help me out but in the meantime thats whats up and I am accessible via this email address... hopefully it will be up within 5 days and there won't be problems with any of the emails sent with submissions Jish ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NO! price Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 16:23:36 -0600 Message-ID: I ordered mine from the theymightbegiants.com website and bought a t-shirt with it, but I saw it at Borders in SLC yesterday(Murray-just off State and Winchester Ave) for $17.99 if you can't find it anyplace else. There are plenty of Borders stores around-I'm sure you will find one close to you that has it in stock. They were actually playing Mink Car over their PA system when I was there. Also, I noticed that there is a second Utah gig scheduled for July 30-anyone planning on going to that one? I will go if I can figure out how to get the time off work-it is on a Tuesday and it is in St. George, about 4 hours south of SLC. (I thought that was kind of a weird place to have it, especially in the middle of the summer-I sure hope the venue is indooors, otherwise people are going to be totally frying out there in the parking lot on their way into the venue!) Jen >From: Sean Kinlin >Reply-To: Sean Kinlin >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Re: NO! price >Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 12:27:51 -0400 > >Nathan wrote: > >>I found it at Sam Goody, but it was $18.99, so I didn't get it. FYE said >>they'd probably get it in tomorrow. Coconuts didn't know what I was >>talking >>about, and said it wasn't on their list. If FYE doesn't have it soon, and >>for less money, maybe I'll just buy an $18.99 copy. Incidentally, Sam >>Goody >>had it in the regular TMBG section, not in children's music (which, at all >>three stores, was a rather pathetic section made up pretty much entirely >>of >>kids' show soundtracks and "songs for kids" collections, with few or no >>actual albums as such) or new releases. >> > > I haven't gotten No! yet, and plan to look for it at stores today. For >the record, though, Amazon.com has it for sale for $13.49. I'll buy it >from them if I can't find it locally for a similar or better price. > > > -Sean _________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx ------------------------------ From: "Thomas Murphy" Subject: TMBG: Dr. Spocks Back Up Band Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 19:45:33 -0400 Message-ID: Due to severe economic restraints and an uncertain fiscal future , I have listed my original Dr. Spocks Back Up Band on E-bay at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=885878677 Thanks for looking. Tom [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ Message-ID: <195780-22002611721523858@tmbg.cc> From: "makebase" Subject: TMBG: St. George, UT Concert (was NO! price) Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 22:15:23 -0400 I am also trying to find a way to go to the 7/30 St. George, UT show. It would be a shame to miss a concert that was in-state. I won't have to miss work if we get back before 3:30am-ish. My only problem is I don't have transportation and my friends don't think they want to go in the middle of the week. I also think I'll be making it to the Las Vegas show, though I'm not sure I'll be able to make it back to SLC for work (although I guess I could take the day off). How late do you think the concert will let out? Of course I'll be at the 7/13 show in Park City. Anyway, perhaps some carpool arrangement can be made for the St. George trip? (In other words, I'm begging for a ride from anyone in Salt Lake making the trip.) Shaun TMBG Citizen of Utah www.tmbg.cc ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3D0D6883.898951D9@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 21:41:42 -0700 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: Re: TMBG: Fate of "Monsters of Mud" Jennifer Russell-Fenus wrote: > I have loved Monsters of Mud from the very first time I heard it. I just > got my copy of No! in the mail today. I put it into my computer immediately > and WOW! What a great CD! Everybody should own this. I am starting my > mission to get everyone I know to go out and get their copies. I haven't been following this list in a long time but I'm curious to know something: Between "Mink Car" and "No!", which is everyone's favorite. I love them both but I think I like "No!" a little more. Because "No!" is being presented in the guise of a children's album, its seems they don't need to exclude material that might seem un-cool to general rock audiences. Most of these song probably weren't conceived with children in mind anyway. "Violin" is wonderfully avant-garde and might have freaked some people if it were on a "rock" album. Fortunately, the can get away with it as a "children's" song (even if it's really not.) > I wish > Monsters of Mud was included on this, as I can imagine it would have > fantastic Flash animation associated with it. > I've made a "Monsters of Mud" video in my mind many times will going for a walk and listening to the song. I imagine a stop motion animated thing. -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3D0D6A0E.DC252102@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 21:48:17 -0700 From: Bongo Organization: None Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: NO! price Sean Kinlin wrote: > > I haven't gotten No! yet, and plan to look for it at stores today. > For the record, though, Amazon.com has it for sale for $13.49. I'll buy > it from them if I can't find it locally for a similar or better price. > > -Sean Usually I try to buy CDs at Best Buy because they have the lowest prices. (Apparently, they sacrafice profit on CDs just to get people in the store to buy their expensive TVs and appliances. I didn't have time to go there and I ended up paying $17.99. (Yeouch!) -B O N G O ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: No! vs. Mink Car Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 04:58:34 +0000 Message-ID: Bongo: > I haven't been following this list in a long time but I'm curious to >know >something: Between "Mink Car" and "No!", which is everyone's favorite. I >love >them both but I think I like "No!" a little more. I'm pretty sure I like "No!" better. Even though it's a children's album, it almost seems to be more traditional TMBG than Mink Car. Mink Car was a bit disappointing, especially after the long wait (not that it wasn't very good, just subpar for a band like TMBG), but "No!" far exceeded my expectations. > Because "No!" is being presented in the guise of a children's album, >its >seems they don't need to exclude material that might seem un-cool to >general >rock audiences. Most of these song probably weren't conceived with children >in >mind anyway. "Violin" is wonderfully avant-garde and might have freaked >some >people if it were on a "rock" album. Fortunately, the can get away with it >as a >"children's" song (even if it's really not.) Well, "Four Of Two," "The Edison Museum," "I Am Not Your Broom," and probably "Wake Up Call" were not originally conceived as children's songs, but they found a home here. I don't think songs like "Robot Parade," "John Lee Supertaster," and "Sleepwalkers" are not much more childish than a lot of TMBG stuff, either. While I initially thought that making a children's album would prove limiting for TMBG, it really doesn't seem to have done so, and I think having a theme makes the album much more cohesive than something like Mink Car. There seems to be more rhyme and reason for why songs were chosen (although there really isn't any reason for them to have left off "Monsters Of Mud"). Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 01:06:09 EDT Subject: Fwd: TMBG: No! vs. Mink Car [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (message/rfc822)] Kay: >In a message dated 6/17/2002 12:58:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, >xornom@hotmail.com writes: > > > > Well, "Four Of Two," "The Edison Museum," "I Am Not Your Broom," and > > probably "Wake Up Call" were not originally conceived as children's >songs, > > but they found a home here. I don't think songs like "Robot Parade," >"John > > > > Lee Supertaster," and "Sleepwalkers" are not much more childish than a >lot > > of TMBG stuff, either. > >"Sleepwalkers" wasn't originally conceived as a kids' song either...I was a >bit sad when Flans said in my interview with him that they don't plan on >recording the "adult" versions of "4 of 2" or "What is Everybody Staring >At" >(although it seemed like "4 of 2" was the one he was really focusing on); >hopefully they will have a change of heart and give those songs a home as a >b-side or something. Well, "Four Of Two" still has basically the same idea, although it was changed from horrific to silly. I wouldn't really call it a "kids' song" either way, though. "Sleepwalkers," on the other hand, is really a completely different song from "What Is Everyone Staring At?"; there's more of a "Rocket Ship"/"Spiraling Shape" thing there. I do think WIESA needs a proper release, but then, I think there a quite a few songs that never made it past the Dial-A-Song phase, and deserve better. At least PART of WIESA was used for something on an album. Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Jun 17 01:44:18 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5H5iIu93925 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 17 Jun 2002 01:44:18 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f230.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.230]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5H5iHJ93920 for ; Mon, 17 Jun 2002 01:44:17 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from lroache@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Sun, 16 Jun 2002 22:44:12 -0700 Received: from 203.166.80.35 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Mon, 17 Jun 2002 05:44:11 GMT X-Originating-IP: [203.166.80.35] From: "Lauren Roache" To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: No! Down Under. Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 05:44:11 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 17 Jun 2002 05:44:12.0282 (UTC) FILETIME=[0218E5A0:01C215C2] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Lauren Roache" Hello to all the Australians who are upset that No! hasn't been released here yet. Red Eye records in King St Sydney has a few copies. They are imported, so cost a fortune. (AU$42.96) I very much couldn't afford to buy it, but I am so glad that I did. How Excellent is this CD! The music is wonderful, and the games are so fun! OK, so that's my little rant, I'll go back in my corner now. _________________________________________________________________ Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Mon Jun 17 01:59:14 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5H5xEx94472 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Mon, 17 Jun 2002 01:59:14 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from mtiwmhc21.worldnet.att.net (mtiwmhc21.worldnet.att.net [204.127.131.46]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5H5xCJ94467 for ; Mon, 17 Jun 2002 01:59:12 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from theymightbegiants@att.net) Received: from fireline ([12.87.141.74]) by mtiwmhc21.worldnet.att.net (InterMail vM.4.01.03.27 201-229-121-127-20010626) with SMTP id <20020617055904.JXCZ19182.mtiwmhc21.worldnet.att.net@fireline> for ; Mon, 17 Jun 2002 05:59:04 +0000 Message-ID: <001101c215c4$15718650$4a8d570c@fireline> From: "john m" To: References: Subject: Re: TMBG: No! vs. Mink Car Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 01:58:54 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "john m" That's right, it's the war of the millenium! A blood-filled battle to the death! 17 exciting matches that must be seen to be believed! See it only on Pay Per View!!! 1. Bangs vs. Fibber Island 2. Cyclops Rock vs. Four of Two 3. Man, It's So Loud In Here vs. Robot Parade 4. Mr. Xcitement vs. No! 5. Another First Kiss vs. Where Do They Make Balloons? 6. I've Got A Fang vs. In the Middle 7. Hovering Sombrero vs. Violin 8. Yeh Yeh vs. John Lee Supertaster 9. Hopeless Bleak Despair vs. The Edison Museum 10. Drink! vs. The House at the Top of the Tree 11. My Man vs. Clap Your Hands 12. Older vs. I Am Not Your Broom 13. Mink Car vs. Wake Up Call 14. Wicked Little Critta vs. I Am A Grocery Bag 15. Finished With Lies vs. Lazyhead and Sleepybones 16. She Thinks She's Edith Head vs. Bed Bed Bed 17. Working Undercover for the Man vs. Sleepwalkers Here's your job. First, decide which song wins each round. Then, place them in order of easiest choice (top) to closest call (bottom). Or don't, because you have a life. Here I go. 17. Where Do They Make Balloons? def. Another First Kiss 16. No! def. Mr. Xcitement 15. Bed Bed Bed def. She Thinks She's Edith Head 14. I Am A Grocery Bag def. Wicked Little Critta 13. Sleepwalkers def. Working Undercover for the Man 12. Man, It's So Loud In Here def. Robot Parade 11. Hopeless Bleak Despair def. The Edison Museum 10. Wake Up Call def. Mink Car 9. Hovering Sombrero def. Violin 8. My Man def. Clap Your Hands 7. I've Got A Fang def. In the Middle 6. The House at the Top of the Tree def. Drink! 5. Bangs def. Fibber Island 4. I Am Not Your Broom def. Older 3. Finished With Lies def. Lazyhead and Sleepybones 2. John Lee Supertaster def. Yeh Yeh 1. Four of Two def. Cyclops Rock Final count: MC - 7 No! - 10 End result: Own both albums, because they're both good. Everyone's a winner. MC haters need not argue with me, because I won't listen. Hopefully this will provide some entertainment for some of you. Enjoy. -john ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #54-17 ******************************