Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #54-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 54, Number 21 Friday, 21 June 2002 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Another Cometition: Best CD Art TMBG: More on Harry O's gig in PC on July 13 TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology TMBG: Re: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology RE: TMBG: Re: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology TMBG: Re: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Re: TMBG: The results are in! (No! vs. Mink Car) Re: TMBG: Anniversary Anthology Re: TMBG: Anniversary Anthology TMBG: More Anthology Talk Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Re: TMBG: More Anthology Talk Re: TMBG: Anniversary Anthology Re: TMBG: More Anthology Talk Re: TMBG: Anniversary Anthology TMBG: Unlimited Tracks Re: TMBG: The results are in! (No! vs. Mink Car) Re: TMBG: Anniversary Anthology TMBG: The results are in! (No! vs. Mink Car) TMBG: Re: Unlimited Tracks Re: TMBG: Anniversary Anthology Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Re: TMBG: The results are in! (No! vs. Mink Car) Re: TMBG: Anniversary Anthology Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 09:26:27 -0400 From: NitpickR@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: Another Cometition: Best CD Art Message-ID: <78958711.4DEDA55E.007CDD34@aol.com> As far as best cover art, it's gotta be Lincoln. That thing Brian Dewan built is just too cool. Second place goes to Why Does The Sun Shine? I love super happy guy. ~Adam ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: TMBG: More on Harry O's gig in PC on July 13 Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:06:01 -0600 Message-ID: I picked up my tickets for the Park City gig on July 13-they aren't selling very well due to poor advertisement. There is only one place that I have seen it advertised, and that is in The City Weekly newspaper. I found out that tickets have been on sale since at least June 3, and I got mine on Tuesday finding I was only the 6th and 7th person to buy them. Apparently you can't buy them online at http://www.smithstix.com, probably due to the 21 and over rule (it is in a private club), but you can buy them over the phone between the hours of 10 am-6 pm MST at 1-800-888-TIXX with a credit card ($24.50 each, with and additional $2 one time only charge for processing the card-otherwise you can go into just about any Smith's grocery store with a SmithsTix counter in it and get them for $23.50 each, which includes their service fees). SO, go out and buy your tickets! We don't want to have this gig cancelled due to poor sales! (Unless John & John don't mind playing to only 7 people). I am also disappointed to hear that the July 30 gig scheduled for St. George has been cancelled :( (Maybe they should sched ule another UT gig on that same day, maybe in SLC, since they are going to be in the state anyway) Jen Madame TMBG Ambassador of Utah _________________________________________________________________ Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "Miss Karen" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 14:26:34 +0000 Message-ID: From rollingstone.com: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology, tour planned to celebrate twenty years... Rhino records will release Dial-A-Song: Twenty Years of They Might Be Giants on September 3rd, a fifty-two track compilation that, as promised in the title, spans the two decade career of Johns Flansburgh and Linnell. The two-CD set will include a trio of previously unreleased tracks -- live versions of "She's Actual Size," "Spy" and "Stormy Pinkness" -- in addition to a handful of odds and ends that had appeared on soundtracks, including "Dr. Evil" from Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me and the group's Grammy-winning "Boss of Me" from Malcolm in the Middle. The remainder of the songs were culled from They Might Be Giants's nine studio albums, from 1986's They Might Be Giants to the just-released children's album, No!. Most thoroughly represented is the band's best-selling album, 1990's Flood, from which seven songs were drawn. "I think our entire career is 'the other way of doing it,' pretty much all the way down the line," Flansburgh says. "And that's very exciting for us. We're happy to be an example of something that works outside of the regular way it works. Just simply because of the contempt we have for the world." In addition to promoting No!, the Giants are also working on their next adult album, the follow-up to last year's Mink Car. "It's interesting, you do something like [No!], and then you can go back to exploring adult images again," Flansburgh says. "It's really good to keep yourself challenged. I think I've come to realize one of the reasons so many bands fade out is they feel like they only do one thing well. We probably only do one thing well -- or we may not even do it that well -- but, more importantly, we pretend that we can do more than one thing well." The duo is also planning to begin a lengthy tour of the U.S. to celebrate their anniversary. The jaunt will launch in July and run through August, before taking a short break and resuming in October and November. "Basically, wherever you live," Flansburgh says, "like it or not, we're coming to your town [laughs]." Track listing for Dial-A-Song: Disc One Birdhouse in Your Soul Ana NG Don't Let's Start Boss of Me Older Istanbul (Not Constantinople) Doctor Worm The Guitar Dr. Evil New York City Particle Man Cyclops Rock Minimum Wage Man, It's So Loud in Here We're the Replacements Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun Is a Mass of Incandescent Gas) Your Racist Friend Bangs Snail Shell Twisting Another First Kiss They'll Need a Crane The Statue Got Me High (She Was a) Hotel Detective Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head I Palindrome I Disc Two She's an Angel How Can I Sing Like a Girl James K. Polk Meet James Ensor Mammal Pet Name No! I Can Hear You Spider I Should Be Allowed to Think Fingertips She's Actual Size Spy Stormy Pinkness Exquisite Dead Guy Robot Parade Boat of Car S-E-X-X-Y Number Three The End of the Tour They Might Be Giants Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal Nightgown of the Sullen Moon Snowball in Hell Purple Toupee Cowtown They Might Be Giants tour dates: 7/12: Denver, CO, AT&T LoDo Music Festival 7/13: Park City, UT, Harry O's 7/14: Boise, ID, Big Easy 7/16: San Francisco, The Fillmore 7/19: Portland, OR, Crystal Ballroom 7/20: Seattle, Paramount Theater 7/21: Seattle, Sky Church at Experience Music Project 7/23: Petaluma, CA, Mystic Theater 7/24: Santa Cruz, CA, The Catalyst 7/25: San Diego, 4th and B 7/26: Los Angeles, John Anson Ford Theater 7/27: Anaheim, CA, House of Blues 7/28: Las Vegas, House of Blues 7/29: Scottsdale, AZ, Cajun House 8/15: New York, Central Park SummerStage _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3D11F0F4.6020806@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:12:52 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Miss Karen wrote: > Track listing for Dial-A-Song: > > Disc One > > Birdhouse in Your Soul > Ana NG > Don't Let's Start > Boss of Me > Older > Istanbul (Not Constantinople) hmm. I guess we're not really the target audience of this set, area we? > Doctor Worm > The Guitar > Dr. Evil ooooh, this would be good to have. > New York City > Particle Man > Cyclops Rock please let it be the WWDTS demo. > Minimum Wage > Man, It's So Loud in Here this has better be the rock version. > We're the Replacements > Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun Is a Mass of Incandescent Gas) > Your Racist Friend > Bangs > Snail Shell > Twisting > Another First Kiss good lord, WHY?! > They'll Need a Crane > The Statue Got Me High > (She Was a) Hotel Detective > Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head > I Palindrome I > > Disc Two > > She's an Angel > How Can I Sing Like a Girl > James K. Polk > Meet James Ensor > Mammal > Pet Name > No! > I Can Hear You > Spider > I Should Be Allowed to Think > Fingertips as one track or 21? > She's Actual Size > Spy > Stormy Pinkness so wait, we get *one* Elektra b-side and no others? and it's a *live* version? and it's not even one of the best Elektra b-sides? meh! > Exquisite Dead Guy > Robot Parade > Boat of Car > S-E-X-X-Y > Number Three ehem. why is this not the third song? > The End of the Tour and why is the not the last song? > They Might Be Giants > Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal > Nightgown of the Sullen Moon > Snowball in Hell > Purple Toupee > Cowtown ok, so this set looks like a complete waste of time and money. there's not even any kind of logical *order* to it. what are they thinking?!? I think this might end up being the first major TMBG release I go out of my way to avoid. it sounds utterly awful. if they were aiming for a "best of," I think most people would say they screwed up. I'm guessing many of us feel that songs like Rhythm Section Want Ad, Where Your Eyes Don't Go, Whistling in the Dark, We Want a Rock, Dinner Bell, See the Constellation, Sleeping in the Flowers, No One Knows My Plan, Out of Jail, Til My Head Falls Off, and Spiraling Shape would belong on it, and that some songs, like Another First Kiss, Older, and I Can Hear You, and others could be dropped. I've already made my own "best of TMBG" mix. one CD, starts with Ana Ng, ends with End of the Tour, doesn't include any of the crappy songs like AFK. I think I'll listen to that instead. ------------------------------ From: "The Farking Disc" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:53:34 +0000 Message-ID: Why isn't SenSurround on it? >From: lawrence solomon >Reply-To: lawrence solomon >CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology >Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 11:12:52 -0400 > >Miss Karen wrote: > > > Track listing for Dial-A-Song: > > > > Disc One > > > > Birdhouse in Your Soul > > Ana NG > > Don't Let's Start > > Boss of Me > > Older > > Istanbul (Not Constantinople) > >hmm. I guess we're not really the target audience of this set, area we? > > > Doctor Worm > > The Guitar > > Dr. Evil > >ooooh, this would be good to have. > > > New York City > > Particle Man > > Cyclops Rock > >please let it be the WWDTS demo. > > > Minimum Wage > > Man, It's So Loud in Here > >this has better be the rock version. > > > We're the Replacements > > Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun Is a Mass of Incandescent Gas) > > Your Racist Friend > > Bangs > > Snail Shell > > Twisting > > Another First Kiss > >good lord, WHY?! > > > They'll Need a Crane > > The Statue Got Me High > > (She Was a) Hotel Detective > > Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head > > I Palindrome I > > > > Disc Two > > > > She's an Angel > > How Can I Sing Like a Girl > > James K. Polk > > Meet James Ensor > > Mammal > > Pet Name > > No! > > I Can Hear You > > Spider > > I Should Be Allowed to Think > > Fingertips > >as one track or 21? > > > She's Actual Size > > Spy > > Stormy Pinkness > >so wait, we get *one* Elektra b-side and no others? and it's a *live* >version? and it's not even one of the best Elektra b-sides? meh! > > > Exquisite Dead Guy > > Robot Parade > > Boat of Car > > S-E-X-X-Y > > Number Three > >ehem. why is this not the third song? > > > The End of the Tour > >and why is the not the last song? > > > They Might Be Giants > > Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal > > Nightgown of the Sullen Moon > > Snowball in Hell > > Purple Toupee > > Cowtown > >ok, so this set looks like a complete waste of time and money. there's >not even any kind of logical *order* to it. what are they thinking?!? >I think this might end up being the first major TMBG release I go out of >my way to avoid. it sounds utterly awful. > >if they were aiming for a "best of," I think most people would say they >screwed up. I'm guessing many of us feel that songs like Rhythm Section >Want Ad, Where Your Eyes Don't Go, Whistling in the Dark, We Want a >Rock, Dinner Bell, See the Constellation, Sleeping in the Flowers, No >One Knows My Plan, Out of Jail, Til My Head Falls Off, and Spiraling >Shape would belong on it, and that some songs, like Another First Kiss, >Older, and I Can Hear You, and others could be dropped. > >I've already made my own "best of TMBG" mix. one CD, starts with Ana >Ng, ends with End of the Tour, doesn't include any of the crappy songs >like AFK. I think I'll listen to that instead. > _________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx ------------------------------ From: PRMega@aol.com Message-ID: <198.891841b.2a438bed@aol.com> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:50:05 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Why isn't SenSurround on it? My question is: why are they even going to release such a ridiculous compilation? PR Mega [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] Given the hard-core fans' reaction to the track list of the anthology, which 52 songs would y'all want to see on the set? Shaun TMBG Citizen of Utah www.tmbg.cc From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 16:11:01 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5KKB1K29602 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:11:01 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from mtiwmhc21.worldnet.att.net (mtiwmhc21.worldnet.att.net [204.127.131.46]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5KKB1J29597 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:11:01 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from theymightbegiants@att.net) Received: from fireline ([12.87.141.67]) by mtiwmhc21.worldnet.att.net (InterMail vM.4.01.03.27 201-229-121-127-20010626) with SMTP id <20020620201047.OJSC29780.mtiwmhc21.worldnet.att.net@fireline> for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:10:47 +0000 Message-ID: <001301c21896$914849b0$438d570c@fireline> From: "john m" To: References: Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:10:45 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "john m" Copied from my newsgroup post, don't bother reading if you read it there already. -- *Pink Album - 6* > Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head > Number Three > Don't Let's Start > (She Was a) Hotel Detective > She's an Angel > Boat of Car *Lincoln - 5* > Ana Ng > Cowtown > Purple Toupee > They'll Need a Crane > Snowball in Hell (Not a bad song, but... WYEDG, damnit.) *Flood - 7* > Birdhouse in Your Soul > Istanbul (Not Constantinople) > Your Racist Friend > Particle Man > Twisting > Minimum Wage > They Might Be Giants *Apollo 18 - 6* > I Palindrome I > Mammal > The Statue Got Me High > Spider > The Guitar > Fingertips (I'm curious to see how they'll do this... if it'll be separate tracks or a whole.) *Miscellaneous T - 3* > We're the Replacements > Nightgown of the Sullen Moon > Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal *John Henry - 4* > Snail Shell > I Should Be Allowed to Think > Meet James Ensor > The End of the Tour *Factory Showroom - 7* > S-E-X-X-Y > How Can I Sing Like a Girl? > Exquisite Dead Guy > New York City > James K. Polk > Pet Name > I Can Hear You *Severe Tire Damage - 2* > Doctor Worm > Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun Is a Mass of Incandescent Gas) *Long Tall Weekend - 1* > Older (Here's hoping it's this version. Or the original.) *Mink Car - 4* > Bangs > Cyclops Rock > Man, It's So Loud in Here > Another First Kiss (I don't dislike it nearly as much as some others, but I don't think it's worthy of a 'best of' album.) *No! - 2* > No! > Robot Parade *Other - 4* > Boss of Me > Dr. Evil > She's Actual Size (Live) (Better be the best damn Dial-a-Drum Solo ever. Hickey is my idol, but I'm not so sure about this choice.) > Spy (Live) (I don't have a problem with this song... but we could have three studio songs in place of this) > Stormy Pinkness (Live) (Hopefully not the Emusic version) My thoughts- John Henry has FOUR. As far as I'm concerned (and I don't fucking care how many people think I'm stupid for this), John Henry is its own 'best of' album. Also not included: Where Your Eyes Don't Go (I'm speechless here... they even recognized it as a fan favorite on Radio TMBG. This should have been one of the easier choices.) My Evil Twin Turn Around SenSurround (again, more overlooking this song) Rhythm Section Want Ad Metal Detector Spiraling Shape (uh... why?) The Bells Are Ringing See the Constellation (one of the best guitar riffs, ever. from any band.) Four of Two (much better choice for a track from No! than either of the two listed) Your Mom's Alright (a lesser choice... remove Another First Kiss and put this in. If you're going for an overall look of the band, consider the collaborations you've done. YMA is the best collaboration I can think of... it's much better than Dr. Evil.) Rest Awhile On the Drag any good B-side tracks... Ondine, Unforgotten, We've Got a World That Swings, etc And of course: Thunderbird What is Everyone Staring At? Finished With Lies - Ballad (pleasepleasepleaseplease) Man, It's So Loud In Here - ROCK (okay, so the studio rock version wasn't spectacular... but it was still so much cooler overall. Ditch the electronic stuff, have the horns not sound like they're playing classical music, and... hell, just rock out. That's what you do, right?) Tumbleweed No Answer Hell Hotel (I really really really want to hear this with the Band of Dans already... hell, just release it as it is... something) Triborough Bridge/Triboro/however it's offically known (I can dream, can't I?...) ...and many more. In place of trying to 'capture the zaniness of the band' or whatever the hell... I would have 'settled' for 'just' hearing some great songs. Maybe that's just me... > They Might Be Giants tour dates: Come to Ohio. Please. We don't have anything here. If it weren't for Cedar Point, they would've nuked us already. -john From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 16:27:46 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5KKRkr30318 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:27:46 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from host08.sterl.com (host08.sterl.com [209.122.15.200]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with SMTP id g5KKRjJ30313 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:27:45 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from karinh@sterl.com) Received: from semail02.STERLING.COM ([207.95.186.44]) by host08.sterl.com (NAVGW 2.5.1.19) with SMTP id M2002062016244109171 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:24:41 -0400 content-class: urn:content-classes:message MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----_=_NextPart_001_01C21899.56E7C2FA" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft Exchange V6.0.5762.3 Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:30:38 -0400 Message-ID: X-MS-Has-Attach: X-MS-TNEF-Correlator: Thread-Topic: TMBG: Re: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Thread-Index: AcIYlxRzgIzaJkHLR72YgGk43nJkmwAAdrvg From: "Karin Highfield" To: "john m" , Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Karin Highfield" This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------_=_NextPart_001_01C21899.56E7C2FA Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Thank you for hitting all the salient points, John. All I can think to add is: **MINIMUM FRIGGING WAGE !!?????!!** ahem Karin H ------_=_NextPart_001_01C21899.56E7C2FA Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

Thank you for hitting all = the salient=20 points, John.
All I can think to add is:

**MINIMUM FRIGGING WAGE = !!?????!!**

ahem

Karin=20 H

------_=_NextPart_001_01C21899.56E7C2FA-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 16:36:27 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5KKaRP30652 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:36:27 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from ns3.admincontrolpanel.com (ns3.admincontrolpanel.com [216.250.243.52]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5KKaRJ30643 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:36:27 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from makebase@tmbg.cc) Received: from tmbg.cc (unverified [127.0.0.1]) by ns3.admincontrolpanel.com (Rockliffe SMTPRA 4.5.6) with ESMTP id for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:36:18 -0400 Message-ID: <410-220026420203618783@tmbg.cc> X-EM-Version: 6, 0, 0, 6 X-EM-Registration: #00E0620610781F002A20 X-Priority: 3 From: "makebase" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:36:18 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "makebase" >**MINIMUM FRIGGING WAGE !!?????!!** Actually, like many people, my first non-Tiny Toons TMBG experience was with Flood. I liked the album, but what really compelled me was MW. I don't know why, but I couldn't get over the fact that there was this song with one line that was like 40 seconds long that really didn't say anything but seemed to sum up a whole lot of feelings at the same time. It was like nothing I'd ever experienced. If there was one moment where I passed from casual interest to supreme loyalty and obessive fanaticism, it was when I heard MW and had to relisten to it 6 times again because I couldn't believe it. Shaun TMBG Citizen of Utah www.tmbg.cc From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 17:04:23 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5KL4NX31636 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:04:23 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.vzavenue.net (smtp.vzavenue.net [66.171.59.140]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5KL4MJ31631 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:04:23 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from zaph@fruhead.com) Received: from fruhead.com ([63.100.163.42]) by smtp.vzavenue.net (Mirapoint Messaging Server MOS 2.9.3.2) with ESMTP id ABS13366 (AUTH zaph); Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:04:15 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <3D12434E.1080301@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:04:14 -0400 From: lawrence solomon User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020529 X-Accept-Language: en-us, en MIME-Version: 1.0 CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology References: <319060-22002642020829162@tmbg.cc> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: lawrence solomon makebase wrote: > Given the hard-core fans' reaction to the track list of the > anthology, which 52 songs would y'all want to see on the set? in semi-chronological order.... (and this was harder than I expected) Everything Right is Wrong Again (1984 version) Don't Let's Start Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes (She was a) Hotel Detective (demo tape version) She's an Angel Rhythm Section Want Ad Ana Ng (original DAS version) Purple Toupee Where Your Eyes Don't Go (DAS version) They'll Need a Crane Shoehorn with Teeth It's Not My Birthday (lincoln outtake version) Nightgown of the Sullen Moon Birdhouse in Your Soul Your Racist Friend We Want a Rock Someone Keeps Moving My Chair Whistling in the Dark Ant I Palindrome I My Evil Twin The Statue Got Me High Dinner Bell See the Constellation I Blame You Welcome to the Jungle She was a Hotel Detective Sleeping in the Flowers (DAS version) NyQuil Driver No One Knows My Plan A Self Called Nowhere Meet James Ensor Out of Jail End of the Tour Sensurround (MMPR version) Certain People I Could Name Reprehensible Til My Head Falls Off New York City Spiraling Shape The Bells are Ringing Rest Awhile Dr. Worm Dr. Evil 4 of 2 (original DAS online version) Boss of Me Bangs Cyclops Rock (WWDTS version) It's So Loud in Here (rock) Hopeless Bleak Despair Finished with Lies Your Mom's Alright The idea here is to make it all stuff that's been released, but sometimes versions that people won't already have, like Cyclops and ISLIH, and 4 of 2. and some of the better Elektra b-sides, too. but also new fans will appreciate it on a different level. it still has a sampling of their different styles and different subject matter, darker songs and more upbeat songs, and so on. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 18:17:32 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5KMHWv34239 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:17:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-d06.mx.aol.com (imo-d06.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.38]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5KMHWJ34234 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:17:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Fishandoranges@aol.com) Received: from Fishandoranges@aol.com by imo-d06.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v32.21.) id i.16d.f63ba34 (4554) for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:17:23 -0400 (EDT) From: Fishandoranges@aol.com Message-ID: <16d.f63ba34.2a43ae73@aol.com> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:17:23 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_16d.f63ba34.2a43ae73_boundary" X-Mailer: AOL 6.0 for Windows US sub 10568 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Fishandoranges@aol.com --part1_16d.f63ba34.2a43ae73_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit In a message dated 6/20/02 10:27:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, girlfromvenus@hotmail.com writes: > > Track listing for Dial-A-Song: > Disc One > Birdhouse in Your Soul > Ana NG > Don't Let's Start > Boss of Me > at this point, jessie thinks, "ah, a popular tmbg songs album. i don't really want it, but it would be nice for some friends. they'd probably buy it more readily if it weren't 2 discs." Older Istanbul (Not Constantinople) at this point, jessie thinks, "aghhhhhhhhhh." > > Doctor Worm > The Guitar > Dr. Evil > here, jessie thinks, "shit, now i really do have to buy it!" > New York City > Particle Man > Cyclops Rock > Minimum Wage > Man, It's So Loud in Here > We're the Replacements > > why we're the replacements and not rhythm section want ad? Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun Is a Mass of Incandescent Gas) the single version? > > Your Racist Friend > Bangs > Snail Shell > Twisting > Another First Kiss > jessie now says (out loud): "AGHHHHHHHHH. NO! why god, why?" > They'll Need a Crane > The Statue Got Me High > (She Was a) Hotel Detective > i'm assuming this is not the good version from the EP. > Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head > I Palindrome I > > Disc Two > She's an Angel > How Can I Sing Like a Girl > James K. Polk > Meet James Ensor > Mammal > Pet Name > No! > I Can Hear You > Spider > uh....why spider? > I Should Be Allowed to Think > Fingertips > She's Actual Size > Spy > Stormy Pinkness > although i have this already (it's the love version with the rubber floor, i'd assume, right?) it makes it even more necessary to buy > Exquisite Dead Guy > Robot Parade > Boat of Car > S-E-X-X-Y > Number Three > yeah, this one really SHOULD be the third song The End of the Tour > and, yes, this one really should be last. They Might Be Giants > Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal > Nightgown of the Sullen Moon > Snowball in Hell > Purple Toupee > Cowtown > overall: AGHHHH. why are they doing this? no one will buy it! it's targeted to non-fans, or very very casual fans (people that only know boss of me, floodies), and yet it's two discs, meaning that none of those people will buy it! i don't want it, but the sick thing is that i'll be there in borders the day it comes out. jessie. oh, by the way, lawrence, just out of curiosity, what's the tracklisting on your best of cd? --part1_16d.f63ba34.2a43ae73_boundary Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit In a message dated 6/20/02 10:27:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time, girlfromvenus@hotmail.com writes:

Track listing for Dial-A-Song:
Disc One
Birdhouse in Your Soul
Ana NG
Don't Let's Start
Boss of Me

at this point, jessie thinks, "ah, a popular tmbg songs album. i don't really want it, but it would be nice for some friends. they'd probably buy it more readily if it weren't 2 discs."

Older

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

at this point, jessie thinks, "aghhhhhhhhhh."

Doctor Worm
The Guitar
Dr. Evil

here, jessie thinks, "shit, now i really do have to buy it!"

New York City
Particle Man
Cyclops Rock
Minimum Wage
Man, It's So Loud in Here
We're the Replacements

why we're the replacements and not rhythm section want ad?

Why Does the Sun Shine? (The Sun Is a Mass of Incandescent Gas)

the single version?

Your Racist Friend
Bangs
Snail Shell
Twisting
Another First Kiss

jessie now says (out loud): "AGHHHHHHHHH. NO! why god, why?"

They'll Need a Crane
The Statue Got Me High
(She Was a) Hotel Detective

i'm assuming this is not the good version from the EP.

Put Your Hand Inside the Puppet Head
I Palindrome I

Disc Two
She's an Angel
How Can I Sing Like a Girl
James K. Polk
Meet James Ensor
Mammal
Pet Name
No!
I Can Hear You
Spider

uh....why spider?

I Should Be Allowed to Think
Fingertips
She's Actual Size
Spy
Stormy Pinkness

although i have this already (it's the love version with the rubber floor, i'd assume, right?) it makes it even more necessary to buy

Exquisite Dead Guy
Robot Parade
Boat of Car
S-E-X-X-Y
Number Three

yeah, this one really SHOULD be the third song

The End of the Tour

and, yes, this one really should be last.

They Might Be Giants
Hey Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal
Nightgown of the Sullen Moon
Snowball in Hell
Purple Toupee
Cowtown

overall: AGHHHH. why are they doing this? no one will buy it! it's targeted to non-fans, or very very casual fans (people that only know boss of me, floodies), and yet it's two discs, meaning that none of those people will buy it! i don't want it, but the sick thing is that i'll be there in borders the day it comes out.

jessie.
oh, by the way, lawrence, just out of curiosity, what's the tracklisting on your best of cd?
--part1_16d.f63ba34.2a43ae73_boundary-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 18:45:53 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5KMjrW35227 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:45:53 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from ns3.admincontrolpanel.com (ns3.admincontrolpanel.com [216.250.243.52]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5KMjrJ35221 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:45:53 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from makebase@tmbg.cc) Received: from tmbg.cc (unverified [127.0.0.1]) by ns3.admincontrolpanel.com (Rockliffe SMTPRA 4.5.6) with ESMTP id for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:45:51 -0400 Message-ID: <410-220026420224551590@tmbg.cc> X-EM-Version: 6, 0, 0, 6 X-EM-Registration: #00E0620610781F002A20 X-Priority: 3 From: "makebase" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:45:51 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "makebase" I tried my own suggestion. Here are my 52 tracks, not in tracklist order. I found this rather difficult. I ended up butchering the list of songs I wanted to put on the anthology. In other words, I doubt mine is much better than what's acutally going to be released. They Might Be Giants (85 Demo Version) Hell Hotel Don't Let's Start 32 Footsteps I Hope That I Get Old Before I Die Ana Ng Where Your Eyes Don't Go Shoehorn With Teeth (Live CD Fast-Forward Version) Snowball In Hell Birdhouse In Your Soul Istanbul (A Live Dan Miller Intro Version) Particle Man Whistling In The Dark Road Movie To Berlin (Live w/ Lyrics Omitted in Studio Version) Nightgown Of The Sullen Moon It's Not My Birthday The Famous Polka I Palendrome I The Guitar (UK Single Mix--I like it better w/o the weird horn part) Dinner Bell Which Describes How You're Feeling Fingertips (Classic 21 Track Version) I Should Be Allowed To Think Spy (WDTSS EP Version--It's shorter, the guitar is better, and the "spy, spy, spy" part is in stereo) Destination Moon A Self Called Nowhere (My Favorite TMBG Song) The End Of The Tour New York City Spiraling Shape Dr. Worm They Got Lost (STD Version) Why Does The Sun Shine (STD Version) She's An Angel (LINY Version-The "Like Now" is more prominent) (She Thinks She's) Edith Head (LTW Version) Older (LTW Version) Reprehensible Certain People I Could Name Bangs Cyclops Rock (WWDTS-I love the Cerys Matthews lines, but it's gotta be "Sick like Nixon was sick") The House At The Top Of The Tree I Am Not Your Broom Dr. Evil Sensurround (MMPR Version--The SEXXY version is too California surferesque for me) Ondine We've Got A World That Swings Moving To The Sun Thunderbird 4 Of 2 (DAS Version) Boss Of Me Unreliable Narrator Welcome To The Jungle Theme From McSweeny's Shaun TMBG Citizen of Utah www.tmbg.cc From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 19:25:07 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5KNP7q36413 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:25:07 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f199.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.199]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5KNP6J36408 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:25:07 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from lroache@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:25:01 -0700 Received: from 203.166.80.34 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:25:01 GMT X-Originating-IP: [203.166.80.34] From: "Lauren Roache" To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The results are in! (No! vs. Mink Car) Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:25:01 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 20 Jun 2002 23:25:01.0405 (UTC) FILETIME=[B32B90D0:01C218B1] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Lauren Roache" I don't think that pairing them up is a fair way of doing it. Some of the best songs get taken out that way. Like track 17 for instance. I loved Working Undercover for the Man, I ran around singing it for weeks after I got Mink Car. It's one of my favourites on Mink, but Sleepwalkers is fantastic. It's one of the two songs that I put on repeat and play over and over and over. As for cover art, I think it's got to be Mink. right down to the mink tyre behind the CD. I think that was a nice touch. - and you gotta love the "this part not included" line where the lyrics for Yeh Yeh should be. Should we vote on their best music video as well? Do the No! animations count in that poll? >Message-Id: >Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 07:46:52 -0700 >From: "Paul Zickler" >Subject: Re: TMBG: The results are in! (No! vs. Mink Car) > > >Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > > >> The overall winner, by the incredibly narrow margin of three points, >is > >> Mink Car, 101:98. > > >so wait, does this mean that because it's so close that they're both > >really great or they're both kinda mediocre so it was just a toss up? :) > >Actually I think it means that NO's brother, the mayor of Florida, >will have to intervene, along with the supreme court of music, and >overturn the whole election in favor of NO. Although I do think Mink >Car is better, just because it's several minutes longer. >PZ > _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 19:36:30 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5KNaUE36833 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:36:30 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.mailix.net (smtp.mailix.net [216.148.213.132]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5KNaTJ36827 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:36:29 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from bryce@bryceland.com) Received: from [10.0.8.10] (helo=calcium) by smtp.mailix.net with smtp (Exim 4.01) id 17LBTY-0003Ej-00 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:36:28 -0700 Received: by calcium (sSMTP sendmail emulation); Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:36:28 -0400 Received: from 208.22.73.21 ( [208.22.73.21]) as user bryceland.com@bryceland.com@mailix-imap.frontend by webmail2.namezero.com with HTTP; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:36:28 -0400 Message-ID: <1024616188.3d1266fcd1896@webmail2.namezero.com> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:36:28 -0400 From: Bryce To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Anniversary Anthology MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit User-Agent: Internet Messaging Program (IMP) 3.0 X-Originating-IP: 208.22.73.21 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Bryce lawrence solomon : > > Doctor Worm > > The Guitar > > Dr. Evil > > ooooh, this would be good to have. It is, I can say from experience. I'm glad I got the soundtrack, because I doubt I'll be getting this compilation, except as a gift for someone else. > > Cyclops Rock > > please let it be the WWDTS demo. HAhahahahaha! Hehe, that's too funny. > > Man, It's So Loud in Here > > this has better be the rock version. AH-haHAHAhahaHAhahahahaha!! Hoo! Aahhhh, hmm. > > Stormy Pinkness > > so wait, we get *one* Elektra b-side and no others? > and it's a *live* version? and it's not even one of the > best Elektra b-sides? meh! Sun might be the slow glockenspiel studio version. Okay, that doesn't make it a b-side, but it's at least a non-album track. Stormy Pinkness is going to be the "Love Version" from Unlimited, and they're just not calling it that. I hope that the live She's Actual Size doesn't include Dial-a-Drum-Solo; repeated listenings really hurt that gimmick. > ok, so this set looks like a complete waste of time and > money. there's not even any kind of logical *order* to it. > what are they thinking?!? Hmm, disc one is unusually heavy on Linnell. I'm listening to it now (or more precisely, the closest facsimile I can make), and so far the song transitions are generally quite smooth. I'd be surprised if that were an accident. > if they were aiming for a "best of," I think most people > would say they screwed up. I'm guessing many of us > feel that songs like Rhythm Section Want Ad, Where > Your Eyes Don't Go, Whistling in the Dark, We Want a > Rock, Dinner Bell, See the Constellation, Sleeping in the > Flowers, No One Knows My Plan, Out of Jail, Til My Head > Falls Off, and Spiraling Shape would belong on it, and > that some songs, like Another First Kiss, Older, and I > Can Hear You, and others could be dropped. I would say they strove to please all of the people some of the time. "Best Of" is an inherently different idea than "Greatest Hits"; I think this falls more in the latter category. I know a lot of casual fans, they are the audience for this. Older, I Can Hear You, and Another First Kiss are totally entry-level TMBG songs; the Normals really go for them. Bryce Yes, you can scare a person by confusing his mind. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 19:44:57 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5KNivD37147 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:44:57 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-d04.mx.aol.com (imo-d04.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.36]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5KNivJ37142 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:44:57 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Kaylum@aol.com) Received: from Kaylum@aol.com by imo-d04.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v32.21.) id i.34.296131da (3874) for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:44:47 -0400 (EDT) From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <34.296131da.2a43c2ef@aol.com> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:44:47 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Anniversary Anthology To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_34.296131da.2a43c2ef_boundary" X-Mailer: AOL 7.0 for Windows US sub 10503 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Kaylum@aol.com --part1_34.296131da.2a43c2ef_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > Older, I Can Hear You, and Another First Kiss are totally > entry-level TMBG songs; the Normals really go for them. Hm, I'm not so sure if "I Can Here You" is entry-level, due to the sound quality, but, yeah, the other two totally. I had the first line of Older on my answering machine for a long time, and I'd always get good or at least amused comments about it. And a friend of mine was playing Mink Car in the record store where he works one day, and when "Another First Kiss" came on, quite a few of the customers asked him where they could get it, but when "I've Got a Fang" came on, he could "actually see them silently changing their minds" hehe Kay --part1_34.296131da.2a43c2ef_boundary Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Older, I Can Hear You, and Another First Kiss are totally
entry-level TMBG songs; the Normals really go for them.

Hm, I'm not so sure if "I Can Here You" is entry-level, due to the sound quality, but, yeah, the other two totally.  I had the first line of Older on my answering machine for a long time, and I'd always get good or at least amused comments about it.  And a friend of mine was playing Mink Car in the record store where he works one day, and when "Another First Kiss" came on, quite a few of the customers asked him where they could get it, but when "I've Got a Fang" came on, he could "actually see them silently changing their minds" hehe

Kay
--part1_34.296131da.2a43c2ef_boundary-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 19:48:37 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5KNmbZ37301 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:48:37 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from ns3.admincontrolpanel.com (ns3.admincontrolpanel.com [216.250.243.52]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5KNmaJ37296 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:48:36 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from makebase@tmbg.cc) Received: from tmbg.cc (unverified [127.0.0.1]) by ns3.admincontrolpanel.com (Rockliffe SMTPRA 4.5.6) with ESMTP id for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:48:35 -0400 Message-ID: <410-22002642023483572@tmbg.cc> X-EM-Version: 6, 0, 0, 6 X-EM-Registration: #00E0620610781F002A20 X-Priority: 3 From: "makebase" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: More Anthology Talk Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:48:35 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "makebase" Okay, I was under the impression that the reason there was no "Elektra Misc. T" was that the label was not cooperative. I mean, technically, doesn't Elektra own the performances recorded on their label? So, if this anthology is happening, it must be with Elektra's consent, no? Otherwise, the Elektra stuff would be new recordings. Unless I'm wrong about Elektra owning the performances. Either way, why can't we have our "Elektra Misc. T"? Shaun TMBG Citizen of Utah www.tmbg.cc From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 19:52:47 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5KNqlv37488 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:52:47 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.vzavenue.net (smtp.vzavenue.net [66.171.59.140]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5KNqlJ37483 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:52:47 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from zaph@fruhead.com) Received: from fruhead.com (99.36.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net [66.171.36.99] (may be forged)) by smtp.vzavenue.net (Mirapoint Messaging Server MOS 2.9.3.2) with ESMTP id ABS17228; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:52:40 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <3D126AC3.4070204@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:52:35 -0400 From: lawrence solomon User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020530 X-Accept-Language: en-us, en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology References: <16d.f63ba34.2a43ae73@aol.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: lawrence solomon Fishandoranges@aol.com wrote: > oh, by the way, lawrence, just out of curiosity, what's the tracklisting > on your best of cd? I also made a 110 minute tape version a long time ago (before many people had CD burners :) and I'll put the tracks that had to be removed from that in brackets. everything else is in the same order otherwise. Older (MitM version, FS Sessions before) Ana Ng [Dead] [Turn Around] Your Racist Friend Leave Me Alone It's Not My Birthday They'll Need a Crane [Certain People I Could Name] [Which Describes How You're Feeling] Nightgown of the Sullen Moon Destination Moon Dinner Bell Mammal Rhythm Section Want Ad Whistling in the Dark I Palindrome I [Twisting] [Meet James Ensor] [All Alone, All Alone, All By Myself] [Letterbox] Don't Let's Start Where Your Eyes Don't Go [Metal Detector] She's an Angel Out of Jail No One Knows My Plan Dr. Worm Purple Toupee We Want a Rock Sleeping in the Flowers [See the Constellation] [Why Does the Sun Shine?] Shoehorn with Teeth Til My Head Falls Off Stomp Box I'm Having a Heart Attack The Statue Got Me High [James K. Polk (FS version)] The Famous Polka I Should Be Allowed to Think What's that Blue Thing Doing Here? Birdhouse in Your Soul New York City The End of the Tour From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 19:53:22 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5KNrM737543 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:53:22 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-r03.mx.aol.com (imo-r03.mx.aol.com [152.163.225.99]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5KNrLJ37538 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:53:21 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Kaylum@aol.com) Received: from Kaylum@aol.com by imo-r03.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v32.21.) id i.fb.27fec430 (3874) for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:53:11 -0400 (EDT) From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:53:11 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: More Anthology Talk To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_fb.27fec430.2a43c4e7_boundary" X-Mailer: AOL 7.0 for Windows US sub 10503 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Kaylum@aol.com --part1_fb.27fec430.2a43c4e7_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > Okay, I was under the impression that the reason there was no > "Elektra Misc. T" was that the label was not cooperative. I mean, > technically, doesn't Elektra own the performances recorded on their > label? So, if this anthology is happening, it must be with Elektra's > consent, no? Otherwise, the Elektra stuff would be new recordings. > Unless I'm wrong about Elektra owning the performances. Either way, > why can't we have our "Elektra Misc. T"? I'm pretty sure I read on this list a few years ago that Flans told someone after a show that they had bought the rights to their elektra b-sides. If that's the case, then it's probably a matter of not finding another label that would release an elektra b-sides comp. Kay --part1_fb.27fec430.2a43c4e7_boundary Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Okay, I was under the impression that the reason there was no
"Elektra Misc. T" was that the label was not cooperative.  I mean,
technically, doesn't Elektra own the performances recorded on their
label?  So, if this anthology is happening, it must be with Elektra's
consent, no?  Otherwise, the Elektra stuff would be new recordings.
Unless I'm wrong about Elektra owning the performances.  Either way,
why can't we have our "Elektra Misc. T"?

I'm pretty sure I read on this list a few years ago that Flans told someone after a show that they had bought the rights to their elektra b-sides. If that's the case, then it's probably a matter of not finding another label that would release an elektra b-sides comp.

Kay
--part1_fb.27fec430.2a43c4e7_boundary-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 19:54:31 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5KNsVb37684 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:54:31 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.vzavenue.net (smtp.vzavenue.net [66.171.59.140]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5KNsUJ37679 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:54:30 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from zaph@fruhead.com) Received: from fruhead.com (99.36.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net [66.171.36.99] (may be forged)) by smtp.vzavenue.net (Mirapoint Messaging Server MOS 2.9.3.2) with ESMTP id ABS17272; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:54:24 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <3D126B2E.9060002@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:54:22 -0400 From: lawrence solomon User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020530 X-Accept-Language: en-us, en MIME-Version: 1.0 CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Anniversary Anthology References: <1024616188.3d1266fcd1896@webmail2.namezero.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: lawrence solomon Bryce wrote: > I would say they strove to please all of the people some of the time. "Best > Of" is an inherently different idea than "Greatest Hits"; I think this falls > more in the latter category. I know a lot of casual fans, they are the > audience for this. Older, I Can Hear You, and Another First Kiss are totally > entry-level TMBG songs; the Normals really go for them. yeah, Another First Kiss will be good for pulling in the fans of boy bands. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 19:56:35 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5KNuZI37806 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:56:35 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.vzavenue.net (smtp.vzavenue.net [66.171.59.140]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5KNuYJ37801 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:56:34 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from zaph@fruhead.com) Received: from fruhead.com (99.36.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net [66.171.36.99] (may be forged)) by smtp.vzavenue.net (Mirapoint Messaging Server MOS 2.9.3.2) with ESMTP id ABS17315; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:56:28 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <3D126BA9.40306@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:56:25 -0400 From: lawrence solomon User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020530 X-Accept-Language: en-us, en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: More Anthology Talk References: <410-22002642023483572@tmbg.cc> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: lawrence solomon makebase wrote: > Okay, I was under the impression that the reason there was no > "Elektra Misc. T" was that the label was not cooperative. I mean, > technically, doesn't Elektra own the performances recorded on their > label? So, if this anthology is happening, it must be with Elektra's > consent, no? Otherwise, the Elektra stuff would be new recordings. > Unless I'm wrong about Elektra owning the performances. Either way, > why can't we have our "Elektra Misc. T"? I actually thought I heard something somewhere about TMBG finally getting the rights back to the Elektra songs. like, as part of their deal leaving the label (they got bought out of an almost new contract, so presumably they did pretty well financially and might have also made some sort of deal regarding the existing material) From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 20:58:17 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5L0wHl39699 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:58:17 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (law2-f10.hotmail.com [216.32.181.10]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5L0wHJ39693 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:58:17 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from batmanusdmychina@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:58:11 -0700 Received: from 207.224.202.220 by lw2fd.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:58:11 GMT X-Originating-IP: [207.224.202.220] From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Anniversary Anthology Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:58:11 -0600 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 21 Jun 2002 00:58:11.0823 (UTC) FILETIME=[B751A7F0:01C218BE] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" >I had the first line of Older on >my answering machine for a long time, and I'd always get good or at least >amused comments about it. When I was in my first year of college, my roommate and I had "Hello Radio" on her answering machine, and people didn't quite know what to think when they got that on the other end of the phone. They just had "what the hell is THIS?" written all over their face (or what I can imagine from the totally quizzical tone in their voices) Jen _________________________________________________________________ Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 21:04:41 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5L14fQ39907 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:04:41 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from rly-ip06.mx.aol.com (rly-ip06.mx.aol.com [205.188.156.51]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5L14fJ39902 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:04:41 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from kless@myrealbox.com) Received: from logs-mtc-th.proxy.aol.com (logs-mtc-th.proxy.aol.com [64.12.102.5]) by rly-ip06.mx.aol.com (v83.35) with ESMTP id RELAYIN4-0620205519; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:55:19 -0400 Received: from [172.172.45.106] (ACAC2D6A.ipt.aol.com [172.172.45.106]) by logs-mtc-th.proxy.aol.com (8.10.0/8.10.0) with ESMTP id g5K3YOk473407 for ; Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:34:27 -0400 (EDT) Mime-Version: 1.0 X-Sender: kless@pop.myrealbox.com Message-Id: Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:29:54 -0400 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: "Kless, K.C." Subject: TMBG: Unlimited Tracks Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" ; format="flowed" X-Apparently-From: Lumpy448@cs.com Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Kless, K.C." Hey all, I've finally gotten around to trying to burn all my unlimited tracks onto CDRs. As I was starting to get organized, I seem to have lost the disk with July unlimited on it. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to 1) supply the July tracks which I can no longer find, and 2) help me out with my track list (I may be missing some of the vault tracks and have the order mixed up on a couple). Thanks for your help. -K.C. TMBG Unlimited January, 5 trks, 11:55 1 - I've Got A Fang 2 - Drink 3 - Cyclops Rock 4 - Stormy Pinkness 5 - Rbt Lowell February, 12 trks, 18:51 1 - Hovering Sombrero 2 - Bangs 3 - ? 4 - Lincoln, Washington, and that Jefferson Guy 5 - Down to the Bottom 6 - He's Getting Late 7 - Army's Tired 8 - Truth in Your Words 9 - Budnitz #1 10 - ? 11 - In the Middle 12 - Your Mom's Alright ? - John Lee Supertaster ? - All Alone March, 8 trks, 19:42 1- Theme from Unlimited 2- Clowntown 3 - Monsters of Mud 4 - Violin 5 - Lazyhead and Sleepybones 6 - Clap Your Hands 7 - O, Do Not Forsake Me 8 - When it Rains, it Snows April, 13 trks, 28:07 1 - Sleepwalkers 2- A Shooting Star is Not A Star 3- Finished with Lies 4- Wicked Little Critta 5- Ram On 6- Chopping Block Theme 7- Oranges 8- Fibber Isl. 9- No! 10- Grocery Bag 11 - Wake Up Call 12 - April Medley 13 - It's Not My Birthday May 9 tracks - 15:47 1 - All McGyver On It 2 - Mink Car 3- Another First Kiss 4 - Tigerella 5- $ 4 $ 6 - Theme from McSweeney's 7 - Ballad of Timothy McSweeney 8 - Mosh Momken Abadan 9 - Even My T-shirt June 9 Tracks - 25:25 1 - My Man 2 - It's So Loud In Here 3 - Yeh Yeh 4 - Mink Car 5 - She's Thinks She's Edith Head 6 - Anecdote 7 - I'm Your Boyfriend now 8 - Museum of Idiots 9 - North to Alaska (Linnell) JULY MISSING August 9 trks, 30:33 1- I Palindrome I 2- Twistin' 3- Boat of Car 4- Statue Got Me High 5- Istanbul/Kiss Me, Son of God 6- Piece of Dirt/ Lucky Ball n' chain 7- Someone Keeps Moving My Chair 8- Indian Ocean 9- Rocket Ship September - 8 trks, 17:27 1 - Colorwheel - Chaos by Design 2 - Bog Standard - Save Your Life 3 - Naykid Eyez - Headless 4 - Too + 3 - 2+3 R One 5 - The Crummer Family - Words 6 - If I Wasn't Shy 7 - Rough Mix 1989 8 - Cabbagetown (demo) October, 9 trks, 14:49 1- Disappointers - Disappointing Show 2- Demchuk - Cut the Strings 3 - Demchuk - Blind 4- Spool 409 - Kids Are Different Now 5- Lil' Lisa Whitman - Something You'd Like to See 6- Robyn "Goldie" Goldwasser- WMOB ID 7- O Tannenbaum 8- Mono Puff- All Things Considered 9- The Ultimate Battle for the Planet of the Apes 10- To the Bubblecraft! November - 11 trks, 23:41 1- Tiny Doctors 2 - Bloodboat 3 - Too Cool Girls 4 - Mystery Track 5 - Particle Man (demo) 6 - Spy (demo) 7 - Fingertips (Live) 8 - The Car Crash (Live) 9- Drinkin (live radio) 10- Istanbul (live) 11- Mink Car (Live) December 8 trks, 27:50 1- Best of Spin the Dial 2- Dan Hickey's Actual Drums 3- Red Red Intro/Drink 4- Somnabulist Spy Improv 5- Spin the Country Dial 6- Live Evil with Robyn 7- Lines Upon a Tranquil Brow 8- Rhythm section Want Ad From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 21:50:38 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5L1ocG41133 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:50:38 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (law2-f26.hotmail.com [216.32.181.26]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5L1obJ41128 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:50:37 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from batmanusdmychina@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:50:32 -0700 Received: from 63.225.236.184 by lw2fd.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:50:32 GMT X-Originating-IP: [63.225.236.184] From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The results are in! (No! vs. Mink Car) Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:50:32 -0600 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 21 Jun 2002 01:50:32.0476 (UTC) FILETIME=[074B45C0:01C218C6] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" >I loved Working Undercover for the Man, I ran around >singing it for weeks after I got Mink Car. It's one of my favourites on >Mink, but Sleepwalkers is fantastic. It's one of the two songs that I put >on repeat and play over and over and over. I really got attached to both Working Undercover for the Man and Sleepwalkers, but especially with Man, It's So Loud In Here. I love that so much I purchased the UK single for this off eBay and I noticed it has a misprint on the sticker, that says, "Straight off the Top 25 successes of 'Boss Of Me', John and John return with the second single from their first album in five years, 'Mint Car' (released 19th November)...." Guess it makes it that much more valuable huh! (or maybe less valuable, depending on who you ask) As far as the war between No! & Mink Car, I have to think on that one a little bit-I don't have all that much free time to devote to it these days (though it is definitely more fun than doing housework, which is what I *should* be doing right now, but I am not) Also I will have to work on the 52 songs I think should be on the TMBG Best Of/Greatest Hits compilation as well-again, time is an issue. Perhaps this weekend when I plan to go out and promote the gig so more than 7 people will attend the show on the 13th. Jen _________________________________________________________________ Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. http://www.hotmail.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 21:51:11 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5L1pBs41188 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:51:11 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.mailix.net (smtp.mailix.net [216.148.213.132]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5L1pBJ41183 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:51:11 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from bryce@tmbg.org) Received: from [10.0.8.10] (helo=calcium) by smtp.mailix.net with smtp (Exim 4.01) id 17LDZu-0005o7-00 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 18:51:10 -0700 Received: by calcium (sSMTP sendmail emulation); Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:51:10 -0400 Received: from 208.22.73.21 ( [208.22.73.21]) as user bryceland.com@bryceland.com@mailix-imap.frontend by webmail2.namezero.com with HTTP; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:51:10 -0400 Message-ID: <1024624270.3d12868e799ec@webmail2.namezero.com> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:51:10 -0400 From: Bryce To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Anniversary Anthology MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit User-Agent: Internet Messaging Program (IMP) 3.0 X-Originating-IP: 208.22.73.21 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Bryce Jennifer Russell-Fenus : > When I was in my first year of college, my roommate and I > had "Hello Radio" on her answering machine, and people didn't > quite know what to think when they got that on the other > end of the phone. That is a good one. I briefly used this clip from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy radio series when I was in college: Zaphod: "Why aren't you here?" Gargravarr: "I *am* here. At least my mind is. My body wanted to come but it's a bit busy at the moment. Things to do, people to see, you know how it is with bodies." Zaphod: "I thought I did." I had to change it when I started looking for jobs, though. :-/ Bryce Disembodied and detached, a voice describes the scene. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 22:09:02 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5L292V41908 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:09:02 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from ns3.admincontrolpanel.com (ns3.admincontrolpanel.com [216.250.243.52]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5L291J41903 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:09:01 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from makebase@tmbg.cc) Received: from tmbg.cc (unverified [127.0.0.1]) by ns3.admincontrolpanel.com (Rockliffe SMTPRA 4.5.6) with ESMTP id for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:08:59 -0400 Message-ID: <106340-2200265212859416@tmbg.cc> X-EM-Version: 6, 0, 0, 6 X-EM-Registration: #00E0620610781F002A20 X-Priority: 3 From: "makebase" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: The results are in! (No! vs. Mink Car) Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:08:59 -0400 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "makebase" > Perhaps this weekend when I plan to go out and promote the gig so > more than 7 people will attend the show on the 13th. > > Jen Worry not, Madame Ambassador. My friends and I will nearly double that number. I get paid tomorrow, so I will be purchasing my ticket when I have my meager pay in my hand. And, I'm sending word out to everyone about it. Do you think it would be too ambitious to make flyers and post them up everywhere? Shaun TMBG Citizen of Utah www.tmbg.cc From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 22:11:09 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5L2B9K42078 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:11:09 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.mailix.net (smtp.mailix.net [216.148.213.132]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5L2B8J42073 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:11:08 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from bryce@tmbg.org) Received: from [10.0.8.10] (helo=calcium) by smtp.mailix.net with smtp (Exim 4.01) id 17LDtE-00068G-00 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:11:08 -0700 Received: by calcium (sSMTP sendmail emulation); Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:11:08 -0400 Received: from 208.22.73.21 ( [208.22.73.21]) as user bryceland.com@bryceland.com@mailix-imap.frontend by webmail2.namezero.com with HTTP; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:11:08 -0400 Message-ID: <1024625468.3d128b3c18df9@webmail2.namezero.com> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:11:08 -0400 From: Bryce To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: Unlimited Tracks MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit User-Agent: Internet Messaging Program (IMP) 3.0 X-Originating-IP: 208.22.73.21 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Bryce The discography at tmbg.org (http://www.tmbg.org/band-info/discography/indexu.html) has everything up to October, and what you have after that is correct except for: > December > 1 - The Best of Spin the Dial > 2 - Dan Hickey's Actual Drums > 3 - Red Red Intro / Drink! > 4 - Somnambulist Spy Improv > 5 - Spin the Country Dial > 6 - Live Evil with Robin > 7 - Lines Upon a Tranquil Brow 8 - The Biggest One (Live) 9 - Rhythm Section Want Ad (Live) 10 - Become a Robot (Live) 11 - Santa Claus 12 - Feast of Lights Bryce From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Jun 20 23:11:52 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5L3Bq344092 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:11:52 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.vzavenue.net (smtp.vzavenue.net [66.171.59.140]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5L3BpJ44087 for ; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:11:51 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from zaph@fruhead.com) Received: from fruhead.com (99.36.171.66.subscriber.vzavenue.net [66.171.36.99] (may be forged)) by smtp.vzavenue.net (Mirapoint Messaging Server MOS 2.9.3.2) with ESMTP id ABS21422; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:11:45 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <3D12996E.4010108@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 23:11:42 -0400 From: lawrence solomon User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020530 X-Accept-Language: en-us, en MIME-Version: 1.0 CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Anniversary Anthology References: <1024624270.3d12868e799ec@webmail2.namezero.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: lawrence solomon Bryce wrote: > That is a good one. I briefly used this clip from the Hitchhiker's Guide to > the Galaxy radio series when I was in college: > Zaphod: "Why aren't you here?" > Gargravarr: "I *am* here. At least my mind is. > My body wanted to come but it's a bit > busy at the moment. Things to do, > people to see, you know how it is with > bodies." > Zaphod: "I thought I did." > > I had to change it when I started looking for jobs, though. :-/ yeah, I hate that. I had to make mine all "professional" sounding, too. so no more of the "If you want money, forget it; if you're trying to sell me something, go to hell...." etc. now my answering machine simply says "I am away from my telephone right now." :) From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Fri Jun 21 00:40:36 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5L4ea046244 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:40:36 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f167.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.167]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5L4eZJ46239 for ; Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:40:35 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:40:30 -0700 Received: from 68.83.100.173 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Fri, 21 Jun 2002 04:40:29 GMT X-Originating-IP: [68.83.100.173] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 04:40:29 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 21 Jun 2002 04:40:30.0135 (UTC) FILETIME=[C5928C70:01C218DD] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Lawrence: >Miss Karen wrote: > > > Track listing for Dial-A-Song: > > > > Disc One > > > > Birdhouse in Your Soul > > Ana NG What's the deal with people capitalizing the G? This isn't the first time I've seen it. > > Another First Kiss > >good lord, WHY?! Isn't this the most recent single? That might explain why, although that leaves the question as to why they didn't include "Sleeping In The Flowers" or "AKA Driver." For that matter, wasn't "Till My Head Falls Off" supposed to be a single before Elektra screwed them over? How come it's not on here? > > Stormy Pinkness > >so wait, we get *one* Elektra b-side and no others? and it's a *live* >version? and it's not even one of the best Elektra b-sides? meh! "James K. Polk" COULD be the B-side version, although I doubt it. Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Fri Jun 21 00:50:29 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5L4oTF46551 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:50:29 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f8.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.8]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5L4oSJ46546 for ; Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:50:28 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:50:23 -0700 Received: from 68.83.100.173 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Fri, 21 Jun 2002 04:50:23 GMT X-Originating-IP: [68.83.100.173] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: The results are in! (No! vs. Mink Car) Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 04:50:23 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 21 Jun 2002 04:50:23.0272 (UTC) FILETIME=[271C1280:01C218DF] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Lauren: >I don't think that pairing them up is a fair way of doing it. Some of the >best songs get taken out that way. Like track 17 for instance. I loved >Working Undercover for the Man, I ran around singing it for weeks after I >got Mink Car. It's one of my favourites on Mink, but Sleepwalkers is >fantastic. It's one of the two songs that I put on repeat and play over and >over and over. You're definitely right about that. It really doesn't provide a good indication as to which album is better. On the other hand, it provides some good entertainment, at least for people like me. >Should we vote on their best music video as well? >Do the No! animations count in that poll? My favorite overall music video is probably "The Guitar." My favorite No! animation is "The House At The Top Of The Tree." Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Fri Jun 21 01:00:11 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g5L50BD46957 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:00:11 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f52.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.52]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g5L50AJ46951 for ; Fri, 21 Jun 2002 01:00:10 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Thu, 20 Jun 2002 22:00:05 -0700 Received: from 68.83.100.173 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Fri, 21 Jun 2002 05:00:04 GMT X-Originating-IP: [68.83.100.173] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Anniversary Anthology Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 05:00:04 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 21 Jun 2002 05:00:05.0122 (UTC) FILETIME=[81EB5620:01C218E0] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Bryce: > > ok, so this set looks like a complete waste of time and > > money. there's not even any kind of logical *order* to it. > > what are they thinking?!? > >Hmm, disc one is unusually heavy on Linnell. I kind of think it's heavy on hits, and Linnell wrote more hits. The first four songs are their four greatest hits. I think it might have made more sense to mix these in with the other songs, rather than making it so top-heavy. >I would say they strove to please all of the people some of the time. >"Best >Of" is an inherently different idea than "Greatest Hits"; I think this >falls >more in the latter category. I know a lot of casual fans, they are the >audience for this. Older, I Can Hear You, and Another First Kiss are >totally >entry-level TMBG songs; the Normals really go for them. "I Can Hear You" sounds anything but normal, I would say. Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #54-21 ******************************