Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #54-22 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 54, Number 22 Saturday, 22 June 2002 Today's Topics: TMBG: speaking of.. Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology TMBG: DAS anthology Re: TMBG: DAS anthology Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology TMBG: Son of the Return of "Dr. Spock's Back-Up Band" Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Patty Castillo" Subject: TMBG: speaking of.. Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 12:48:45 -0400 Message-ID: answering machines, I have Minimum Wage on mine (not the whole song, though. People would hang up before they ever heard the beep. I cut it off right after the cracking of the whip.) Pointless, but I just thought I'd mention it. :) I had the first line of Older on my answering machine for a long time, and I'd always get good or at least amused comments about it. _________________________________________________________________ Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 17:53:38 +0000 Message-ID: Jessie: >overall: AGHHHH. why are they doing this? no one will buy it! it's targeted >to non-fans, or very very casual fans (people that only know boss of me, >floodies), and yet it's two discs, meaning that none of those people will >buy >it! I'm not so sure about that. Rhino has been putting out compilations like this for years, and they're apparently doing pretty well. I have no idea whether anyone will buy it, but I don't think there's any way to predict now. Yes, I DO think this a severe waste of money for hardcore fans, so here's my crazy suggestion: If you're a hardcore fan who already has all the albums, DON'T BUY IT. Really, I think it would be worse if they had put more rare tracks on something like this, because then people (probably including me) would be complaining, "Why do we have to buy all this crap we already have to get the rare stuff?" Now, a compilation of ALL rare stuff would be a different story, but, well, that's not what this is. As for the people who are saying, "Why didn't they include [insert song title here]?", I do think there were some glaring omissions, especially from the long-suffering John Henry. They should at least have included "Sleeping In The Flowers" and "AKA Driver," since they were singles. Overall, though, it's a fairly decent mix of the hits and the weirder stuff, and I don't know that I wouldn't recommend it to a casual or prospective fan. Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:40:17 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Well if we aren't able to "recommend it to a casual or prospective fan" then it's likely to get slammed by the critics - if they ever bother to review it. Which they probably won't! Richard ~ England and USA both out of the World Cup but Wimbledon tennis starts Monday! >>> "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" 21/06/02 18:53:38 >>> Jessie: >overall: AGHHHH. why are they doing this? no one will buy it! it's targeted >to non-fans, or very very casual fans (people that only know boss of me, >floodies), and yet it's two discs, meaning that none of those people will >buy >it! I'm not so sure about that. Rhino has been putting out compilations like this for years, and they're apparently doing pretty well. I have no idea whether anyone will buy it, but I don't think there's any way to predict now. Yes, I DO think this a severe waste of money for hardcore fans, so here's my crazy suggestion: If you're a hardcore fan who already has all the albums, DON'T BUY IT. Really, I think it would be worse if they had put more rare tracks on something like this, because then people (probably including me) would be complaining, "Why do we have to buy all this crap we already have to get the rare stuff?" Now, a compilation of ALL rare stuff would be a different story, but, well, that's not what this is. As for the people who are saying, "Why didn't they include [insert song title here]?", I do think there were some glaring omissions, especially from the long-suffering John Henry. They should at least have included "Sleeping In The Flowers" and "AKA Driver," since they were singles. Overall, though, it's a fairly decent mix of the hits and the weirder stuff, and I don't know that I wouldn't recommend it to a casual or prospective fan. Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <84590-220026521191737382@tmbg.cc> From: "makebase" Subject: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 15:17:37 -0400 From: Richard Hilton >Well if we aren't able to "recommend it to a casual or prospective >fan" then it's likely to get slammed by the critics - if they ever >bother to review it. Which they probably won't! No review is probably the most likely scenario. Entertainment Weekly, in a writeup of upcoming summer CDs, breifly mentions TMBG thusly: "...perennial cutups THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS will take a break from scoring TV shows long enough to release No! (June 11)..." I would expect a similar blurb to be the most any major print source would say about the DAS Anthology. Notice how they didn't even mention No! was a children's album. >Richard ~ England and USA both out of the World Cup but Wimbledon >tennis starts Monday! Tennis? Don't you mean--oh yeah, we call it tennis here too. Do people mispronounce it WimbleTon there too? How annoying. Shaun TMBG Citizen of Utah www.tmbg.cc PS My two cents: I'm going to buy it. I'll find some purpose for it. Also, I think some less fanatic friends of mine might buy it as well, so I don't think we need to worry about how well it sells. What does that matter to us anyway? Do you think if it bombs that they'll stop producing records? ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:32:37 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: DAS anthology Message-ID: On Fri, 21 Jun 2002 owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > > Track listing for Dial-A-Song: > > Older Criminy, not Older AGAIN. > > I Can Hear You They're kidding, right? > > Stormy Pinkness > so wait, we get *one* Elektra b-side and no others? and it's a *live* > version? and it's not even one of the best Elektra b-sides? meh! No kidding. What about Welcome to the Jungle? Cabbagetown? Ant? (I love Ant.) > I've already made my own "best of TMBG" mix. one CD, starts with Ana > Ng, ends with End of the Tour, doesn't include any of the crappy songs > like AFK. I think I'll listen to that instead. What I want to know is why they're promoting it as a DAS anthology. Or did I misread the original? Suggestions for the antho: > The Bells Are Ringing Yes, damn it! The demo version, with the synth bells! I vastly preferred it to the final version. > Rest Awhile > On the Drag Amen. > Hell Hotel (I really really really want to hear this with the Band of Dans > already... hell, just release it as it is... something) Like you, I mostly want to hear this remade by the current band. Ditto Become A Robot. What about the REAL dial-a-song stuff? Where's Gettin' Sentimental Over You? Mrs. Cinderella? Hi Honey I'm Home (just kidding, I don't like it)? Maybe one of the covers... Concrete & Clay? > >I had the first line of Older on > >my answering machine for a long time, and I'd always get good or at least > >amused comments about it. I used to have the first line of Destination Moon on mine, when I was in the dorms. It was great. But then, like everyone else, I had to get a serious one. I swear that when I get a real job (any month now), back to Destination Moon goes the answering machine. --nicole twn *** This statement is neither true nor self-referential. Visit www.nicolopolis.com ... digital nonsense for a weary world. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <184670-220026521235152203@tmbg.cc> From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: DAS anthology Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:51:52 -0400 From: Nicole Carlson >I used to have the first line of Destination Moon on mine, when I >was in the dorms. It was great. But then, like everyone else, I >had to get a serious one. I swear that when I get a real job (any >month now), back to Destination Moon goes the answering machine I had the same thing on my voicemail for a while in college. My boss called once and left a message that was eerily similar to Gloria's ramblings on "Track 13." For the most part, though, I saw a drop in the number of messages left, as I think people were just hanging up because they thought the message was weird. For a while I had the "Matthew and Gunnar" message on my machine too. People responded better to that one. Shaun TMBG Citizen of Utah www.tmbg.cc ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 18:30:07 -0600 Message-ID: > > >Richard ~ England and USA both out of the World Cup but Wimbledon > >tennis starts Monday! > >Tennis? Don't you mean--oh yeah, we call it tennis here too. Do >people mispronounce it WimbleTon there too? How annoying. > >Shaun >TMBG Citizen of Utah >www.tmbg.cc The people who pronounce it "WimbleTon" are probably the same people who put an extra "R" in sherbet and wash and pronounce them sherbeRt and waRsh. That IS annoying. Not that these phenomena are limited to people in Utah, but because I live here, I must ask, didn't ol' Joseph Smith create the Deseret Alphabet so he could get away with phonetic spelling? (Not that it was ever popularized or anything like that). He probably thought sticking "R"'s in the middle of words where they don't belong was annoying too, and thus the birth of the Deseret Alphabet. Jen _________________________________________________________________ Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <410-22002662204541316@tmbg.cc> From: "makebase" Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG Dial Up Anniversary Anthology Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 20:45:41 -0400 From: Jennifer Russell-Fenus >The people who pronounce it "WimbleTon" are probably the same people >who put an extra "R" in sherbet and wash and pronounce them sherbeRt >and waRsh. That IS annoying. Not that these phenomena are limited >to people in Utah, but because I live here, I must ask, didn't ol' >Joseph Smith create the Deseret Alphabet so he could get away with >phonetic spelling? (Not that it was ever popularized or anything >like that). He probably thought sticking "R"'s in the middle of >words where they don't belong was annoying too, and thus the birth >of the Deseret Alphabet. > >Jen Yes and no. Joseph Smith never made it to Utah. Brigham Young had some of the more intellectual Mormon pioneers develop the Deseret alphabet pretty much for the reason you suggest. Converts were coming to Utah from all over Europe and he thought a phonetic alphabet would make learning English a lot easier for newly arriving immigrants. Unfortunately, Deseret looked like some kind of encrypted Greek wingbat font. It never caught on and we Utahns were left to develop our strange way of pronouncing words. I also think that Benjamin Franklin tried to do the same thing with similar results. Shaun TMBG Citizen of Utah www.tmbg.cc ------------------------------ From: "Thomas Murphy" Subject: TMBG: Son of the Return of "Dr. Spock's Back-Up Band" Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:19:34 -0400 Message-ID: Thanks to all who looked the first time and wrote and said "Wot happened?!?" The well intentioned staff at Ebay made a decision to remove the initial listing of the item from auction. But all is well, it's been relisted but will end soon. View it at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=887618616 As this is a special item and the only one I have (or have ever seen in my years of TMBG collecting), I will not participate in illegal duplication, so No! requests for CD-R or tape copies please. Thanks, Tom [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #54-22 ******************************