Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #55-1 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 55, Number 1 Monday, 1 July 2002 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Another Cometition: Best CD Art Re: TMBG: May I be the first to say... Re: TMBG: TMBG in Newsweek TMBG: Write the Boston Globe for their pathetic review of NO! Re: TMBG: May I be the first to say... TMBG: please kindly get back to me TMBG: please kindly get back to me Re: TMBG: TMBG in Newsweek Re: TMBG: Write the Boston Globe for their pathetic review of NO! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <3D1EC191.FF980413@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 01:30:13 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: Another Cometition: Best CD Art After thinking about it for awhile, here's my list of top 5 TMBG cover art. (Concept and creativity were my top criteria.) 1) Misc. T The concept was simple ...yet confusing and captures the low tech and creative feel of the band perfectly. 2) Mink Car Yes, the typography looks a little trendy. In fact, the cover overall could easily pass as one from a popular, young band. That's intentional, I think. The fact that they could also present an interesting (and not so sexy) concept within that impresses me. 3) Flood The Flood logo is perfect. The choice image underneath was pleasingly odd. Eventually, the title, the art and the story behind it would come together. 4) They Might Be Giants Not as sophisticated or cryptic as the CD art to follow but it fit the odd energy of the album. 5) Factory Showroom The concept is sort of subtle but the showroom window sign art is pleasing to me. And as usual, it fits in with the album's concept and title. -B O N G O I wrote: > I'm sure this has been discussed over the years but I've never noticed > it. What's the best TMBG "album cover" (CD art). This includes all the > artwork of a CD booklet and on the disc itself.Lets limit this to albums > (if we throw in singles it'll get complicated.) I suppose we should > include compilations like Then and Early Years. > > My list to come... gotta take another good look at them,. > > -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3D1EC31B.C36B1ED4@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 01:36:47 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: May I be the first to say... I thought that one guy looked liked Robert Smith of the Cure. TMBG37@aol.com wrote: > I contacted the seller, he forgot to put the poster onto the page, those two > weirdoes were his favorite group "The Cure" that he puts on all his auctions. > > ==================================================== > > Evil lurks where you least expect it... So check your sock drawer. > > ==================================================== ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3D1EC3CB.FA51B111@pacificnet.net> Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 01:39:45 -0700 From: Bongo Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in Newsweek CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com wrote: > In a message dated 6/26/02 9:46:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time, > PosterKid1@aol.com writes: > > > >> << Dig it! In the "Periscope" section! cool! >> >> >> What issue? > > July 1, 2002. Page 10. > > DRW (Grrrrrrrr!) What does it SAY about them? -B O N G O ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3D1EFD4B.E33A9EC3@earthlink.net> Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 08:44:59 -0400 From: Jennifer Gaboury Subject: TMBG: Write the Boston Globe for their pathetic review of NO! Here's a link to the letters form on the Boston Globe site if you'd like to respond to what follows: http://www.boston.com/globe/editorials/form.htm _________________ THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS NO! IDLEWILD/ROUNDER STEVE GREENLEE 28 June 2002 The Boston Globe C.12 (Copyright 2002) Pop-rock's wackiest duo, They Might Be Giants, has gone and made a children's album for their eighth studio release. That's what they're calling it, anyway. But unless you want your kids to turn out like David Lynch or "Weird Al" Yankovic, this isn't a children's record. "No!" is a collection of 17 truly bizarre tunes - perhaps the duo's most bizarre ever - averaging 2 minutes apiece. The songs are innocent and charming, but their surrealistic lyrics and mockingly cartoonish arrangements probably make them more entertaining for adults than for kids: People sew buttons onto cars on a place called "Fibber Island." A man is strangely comforted by a broken clock that is stuck on "Four of Two." A broom refuses to sweep for its owner, chanting "I Am Not Your Broom." In the weirdest song, the 30-second "I Am a Grocery Bag," a shopping list is simply recited. John Flansburgh and John Linnell have used a "children's album" as an excuse to get silly and go bonkers, and in doing so they have recaptured the childlike creativity they hadn't summoned since their first three records. It runs just a half-hour, but "No!" is a major achievement in They Might Be Giants' 16-year career. It's a disc filled with eminently hummable tunes that bring back memories of "Particle Man" and "Don't Let's Start." One more thing: You simply must put this disc in your PC or Mac. ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: Re: TMBG: May I be the first to say... Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 10:55:05 -0600 Message-ID: > I thought that one guy looked liked Robert Smith of the Cure. It WAS Robert Smith of The Cure Richard Simmons was also on there Neither of which have anything to do with TMBG (or each other for that matter!) _________________________________________________________________ Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200206302007.g5UK7fJ88084@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: "SANDRA SAVIMBI" Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 21:59:31 +0200 Subject: TMBG: please kindly get back to me Dear Friend, This letter may come to you as a surprise due to the fact that we have not yet met. The message could be strange but reel if you pay some attention to it. I could have notified you about it at least for the sake of your integrity. Please accept my sincere apologies. In bringing this message of goodwill to you, I have to say that I have no intentions of causing you any pains. I am Ms. Sandra savimbi, daughter of the late rebel leader Jonas savimbi of Angola who was killed on the 22nd of febuary 2002 . I managed to get your contact details through "The World Business Journal", a journal of the Johannesburg Chamber of Commerce in South Africa in the time I was desperately looking for a trustworthy person to assist me in this confidential business. my late father, Jonas savimbi was able to deposit a large sum of money in differnt banks in europe My father is presently death and the movement of his family members (including me) is restricted. We are forbidden to either travel abroad or out of our localities. Presently, the US$25,600,000.00 twentyfive, MILLION, six HUNDRED DOLLARS my father transfered to Netherlands is safe and is in a security firm. I am therefore soliciting your help tohave this money transfered into your account. before my government get wind of this fund .You know my father was a rebel leader in Angola before his death My reason for doing this is because it will be difficult for the Angolan government to trace my father's money to an individual's account, especially when such an individual has no relationship ,I decided to keep that money for my family use. At present the money is kept in a Security Company in nertherland. I am currently and temporarily living in Angola with my husband. Moreover the political climatein Angola at the moment being so sensitive and unstable. When you are ready i will give you the information needed before you can get access to the fund you will then proceed to Netherlands where the US$25,600,000.00 twentyfive, MILLION, six HUNDRED DOLLARS will be given to you as payment. Alternatively, you can have the fund transferred into any account that suits you. and for your co-operation and partnership, we have unanimously agreed that you will be entitled to 5.5% of the money when successfully receive it in your account. The nature of your business is not relevant to the successful execution of this transaction. kindly provide me with all your contacts addresses including your personal telephone and fax number. All correspondence is for the attention of my counsel:joseph edward. Kindly get back to us. Sandra Savimbi. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200206302007.NAA16835@ussdefiant.ufp.org> From: "SANDRA SAVIMBI" Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 21:59:44 +0200 Subject: TMBG: please kindly get back to me Dear Friend, This letter may come to you as a surprise due to the fact that we have not yet met. The message could be strange but reel if you pay some attention to it. I could have notified you about it at least for the sake of your integrity. Please accept my sincere apologies. In bringing this message of goodwill to you, I have to say that I have no intentions of causing you any pains. I am Ms. Sandra savimbi, daughter of the late rebel leader Jonas savimbi of Angola who was killed on the 22nd of febuary 2002 . I managed to get your contact details through "The World Business Journal", a journal of the Johannesburg Chamber of Commerce in South Africa in the time I was desperately looking for a trustworthy person to assist me in this confidential business. my late father, Jonas savimbi was able to deposit a large sum of money in differnt banks in europe My father is presently death and the movement of his family members (including me) is restricted. We are forbidden to either travel abroad or out of our localities. Presently, the US$25,600,000.00 twentyfive, MILLION, six HUNDRED DOLLARS my father transfered to Netherlands is safe and is in a security firm. I am therefore soliciting your help tohave this money transfered into your account. before my government get wind of this fund .You know my father was a rebel leader in Angola before his death My reason for doing this is because it will be difficult for the Angolan government to trace my father's money to an individual's account, especially when such an individual has no relationship ,I decided to keep that money for my family use. At present the money is kept in a Security Company in nertherland. I am currently and temporarily living in Angola with my husband. Moreover the political climatein Angola at the moment being so sensitive and unstable. When you are ready i will give you the information needed before you can get access to the fund you will then proceed to Netherlands where the US$25,600,000.00 twentyfive, MILLION, six HUNDRED DOLLARS will be given to you as payment. Alternatively, you can have the fund transferred into any account that suits you. and for your co-operation and partnership, we have unanimously agreed that you will be entitled to 5.5% of the money when successfully receive it in your account. The nature of your business is not relevant to the successful execution of this transaction. kindly provide me with all your contacts addresses including your personal telephone and fax number. All correspondence is for the attention of my counsel:joseph edward. Kindly get back to us. Sandra Savimbi. ------------------------------ From: Fishandoranges@aol.com Message-ID: <1a3.486d85b.2a5109d5@aol.com> Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 21:26:45 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: TMBG in Newsweek In a message dated 6/30/02 4:29:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ggr@pacificnet.net writes: > > July 1, 2002. Page 10. > > > > DRW > > (Grrrrrrrr!) What does it SAY about them? i never saw it, but my friend did, and she said it was only a few sentences briefly mentioning No! or something like that. jessie. [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (multipart/alternative)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #55-1 *****************************