Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #55-12 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 55, Number 12 Sunday, 14 July 2002 Today's Topics: TMBG: Levels... Re: TMBG: Levels... Re: TMBG: Levels TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #55-11 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #55-11 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #55-11 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #55-11 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #55-11 Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #55-11 TMBG: I touched The Flansburgh! I am healed! (Review of 7/13 Park City Gig) Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #55-11 Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "L Holstein" Subject: TMBG: Levels... Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 21:46:24 +1000 Message-ID: I'm some place in the middle. I own all the albums (that I can find in OZ / can afford to import!) and but dont call dial-a-song. I think the levels may need a little updating Lyndy -------------------------- >Stage 1: You own one album and you find yourself playing it all the time. >You >listen to nothing else. You can't wait to see them live. > >Stage 2: You own all of their albums and find yourself playing them all the >time. You listen to nothing else. You can't wait to see them live. You call >Dial-a-Song four times a day. You have joined the information club. ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Levels... Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 15:08:09 +0000 Message-ID: Lyndy: >I'm some place in the middle. I own all the albums (that I can find in OZ >/ >can afford to import!) and but dont call dial-a-song. > >I think the levels may need a little updating Maybe there should be exceptions made for people who can't call Dial-A-Song without paying overseas charges. I think there are different types of obsession anyway, though. Just for a few examples: Collector: Buys every TMBG item that comes out, including CD singles, samplers, promos, and reissues of things that were already released. Sometimes willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money for these things. Collecting can go beyond the music, and into clothing, magazines, etc. Song Collector: Not as much into the stuff as the songs. Still buys a lot of TMBG items, but will usually hold off on stuff that doesn't have any new songs. Will call Dial-A-Song and download stuff. Has the goal of hearing every single song the band has ever played. John Enthusiast: Likes the music, but REALLY likes the people making it. Finds out as much as he or she can about their lives, likes and dislikes, etc. Tries to meet the Johns as many times as possible, and probably annoys them. Often will have a crush on one or both Johns. Band Enthusiast: Sort of like the last category, but throws non-John band members into the mix. Knows all about each Dan, and talks about their contributions to the band. Knows exactly how the band's sound changes with each change in members. Knows what happened to all of the former players. Concert Fan: Loves the concerts, and goes to as many as possible, even if it means a lot of travel. Will generally own all the albums, but they aren't as important as the live show. Old School: Will buy most new TMBG releases and attend concerts, but will constantly complain about how they aren't as good as they used to be. Any other ideas? -- Be your own broom, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com ------------------------------ Message-ID: <1026575874.3d304e028bafd@65.57.231.100> Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 11:57:54 -0400 From: makebase@tmbg.cc Subject: Re: TMBG: Levels This is a far better system of levels because we are not all at differing levels of the same kind of fandom. I'd say, though that there are differing degrees to which a person can display the attributes of each type of obsession. I'm definitely a "collector", but not to degree that my Madame Ambassador is. I am also a "concert fan", but my limited means usually prohibit me from traveling too far to see them (though I drove down to Las Vegas with some friends of mine in '99 and that was the coolest concert experience I've ever had--woo woo!). Perhaps you could get "points" for how far into each category you fit, and then you can add up the points for a grand total that represents your overall fanaticism. Other categories could include: Archiver: Collects every song, etc. (album, single/b-side, DAS online/analog, concert bootleg, radio appearance, TV appearance, in-store appearance, newspaper/magazine articles/photos, etc.) and has them archived on tape, digitally, and online and trades with fellow archivers to increase their collection. Different from Song Collector because they will probably still own everything, regardless of redundancy. Extra-Band Enthusiast: TMBG concert experiences for them are so euphoric that they become rabid fans of even the opening acts and begin collecting all of their material too. Also, they own all of Laura Cantrell's stuff because of her appearance on "The Guitar" and have become avid fans of hers and Nick Hill's radio shows merely based on their guest vocal contributions. These same people probably became fans of Malcom in the Middle and the Daily Show originally because TMBG did the theme music (which doesn't mean they don't appreciate the shows now on the shows' own merits). Plus, I think you should get extra points for having any TMBG tatoos, especially if you have one or both Johns sign a part of your body in ink so that a tatoo artist can later permanently fill it in. Shaun www.tmbg.cc TMBG Citizen of Utah I get to see TMBG tonight in Park City! I'm so excited I could explode! ----- Original Message ----- From: Nathan Mulac DeHoff > Maybe there should be exceptions made for people who can't call Dial-A-Song > without paying overseas charges. I think there are different types of > obsession anyway, though. Just for a few examples: > > Collector: Buys every TMBG item that comes out, including CD singles, > samplers, promos, and reissues of things that were already released. > Sometimes willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money for these things. > Collecting can go beyond the music, and into clothing, magazines, etc. > > Song Collector: Not as much into the stuff as the songs. Still buys a lot > of TMBG items, but will usually hold off on stuff that doesn't have any new > songs. Will call Dial-A-Song and download stuff. Has the goal of hearing > every single song the band has ever played. > > John Enthusiast: Likes the music, but REALLY likes the people making it. > Finds out as much as he or she can about their lives, likes and dislikes, > etc. Tries to meet the Johns as many times as possible, and probably annoys > them. Often will have a crush on one or both Johns. > > Band Enthusiast: Sort of like the last category, but throws non-John band > members into the mix. Knows all about each Dan, and talks about their > contributions to the band. Knows exactly how the band's sound changes with > each change in members. Knows what happened to all of the former players. > > Concert Fan: Loves the concerts, and goes to as many as possible, even if it > means a lot of travel. Will generally own all the albums, but they aren't > as important as the live show. > > Old School: Will buy most new TMBG releases and attend concerts, but will > constantly complain about how they aren't as good as they used to be. > > Any other ideas? ------------------------------ Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 17:35:46 -0700 (PDT) From: Nicole Carlson Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #55-11 Message-ID: On Sat, 13 Jul 2002 owner-tmbg-digest@TMBG.ORG wrote: > I think that is a great idea! I could definately make this and wouldn't mind > hosting it. Just start sending example questions. Justin and all interested parties: If you like, you're welcome to take over, be inspired by, help update, etc., the Fandom Test. It's a little out of date (haven't updated it in a while due to getting something of a life [1]), but it was fun in its day. http://www.nicolopolis.com/tmbg.html The csif.cs.ucdavis.edu address mentioned still works, but I'm graduating soon [2], so I'm trying to discourage its use. (Whoa.) Someone *mentioned* it! I am not forgotten! :D --nicole twn [1] Actually, just grad school, but "getting a life" sounds better. [2] And if anyone in Boston wants to hire a freshly minted MSCS, give me a ring, 'k? :) *** "We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." --Oscar Wilde Visit www.nicolopolis.com ... digital nonsense for a weary world ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.0.20020713193633.00a0bd20@pop-server.houston.rr.com> Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 19:43:17 -0500 From: Quinn Collard Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #55-11 >Justin and all interested parties: If you like, you're welcome to take >over, be inspired by, help update, etc., the Fandom Test. It's a little out >of date (haven't updated it in a while due to getting something of a life >[1]), >but it was fun in its day. I took that a few months ago. It told me to "apply myself." And I was like "It's tell me to be *more* obsessive? How can I *possibly* be any *more* obsessive?" I was deeply saddened and confused. Other than that, though, it was pretty damn fun. (Hi everybody, btw. I know some of you from the newsgroup...) Quinn {http://www.angelfire.com/tx/quinncorner/index.html} "The healing doesn't stop the feeling." ~They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000a01c22ad3$49477100$7a8d570c@fireline> From: "john m" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #55-11 Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 21:10:44 -0400 > I took that a few months ago. Yeah, I keep mine saved, as a checklist. As suggested. Still, it's a good quiz. > (Hi everybody, btw. I know some of you from the newsgroup...) You do? Who are you? =) -john ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.0.20020713200915.00a09010@pop-server.houston.rr.com> Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 20:14:53 -0500 From: Quinn Collard Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #55-11 >Yeah, I keep mine saved, as a checklist. As suggested. Still, it's a good >quiz. It is. I think we could really take the bulk of it as the basis for the new quiz, just take out some of the old stuff and put in some new stuff. (I can think of quite a few questions...) > > (Hi everybody, btw. I know some of you from the newsgroup...) > >You do? Who are you? =) Heh...hey, John! I'm so glad there are some people here who can keep me from feeling like a *total* stranger...hey, do people here, y'know, freak out as easily? Quinn {http://www.angelfire.com/tx/quinncorner/index.html} "The healing doesn't stop the feeling." ~They Might Be Giants ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <118.145f0a65.2a622c86@aol.com> Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 21:23:18 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #55-11 Hi, Quinn, I'm here, too :) Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <000d01c22ad8$a4ae15d0$7a8d570c@fireline> From: "john m" Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #55-11 Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 21:49:06 -0400 > It is. I think we could really take the bulk of it as the basis for the new > quiz, just take out some of the old stuff and put in some new stuff. (I can > think of quite a few questions...) Yeah, using the mailing list and newsgroup combined, I'm sure we could come up with a good list. > Heh...hey, John! I'm so glad there are some people here who can keep me > from feeling like a *total* stranger...hey, do people here, y'know, freak > out as easily? Well, in the sense that you're thinking, I don't know. It hasn't come up before. But there weren't as many people outraged over Mink Car here, which is good. -john ------------------------------ Message-ID: <1026624863.3d310d5fb9d58@65.57.231.100> Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 01:34:23 -0400 From: makebase@tmbg.cc Subject: TMBG: I touched The Flansburgh! I am healed! (Review of 7/13 Park City Gig) Just got back from the Park City gig. Omigosh! I have to say now what I said after I saw "Attack of the Clones": BETTER THAN "THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!" Really, I've never jumped and sang and clapped and did my version of dancing so much in my entire life! Okay, I took a pen to write down the setlist, but I was so sweaty that the pen wouldn't write on my arm, as was my intention so I'm going to get these in the wrong order. Hopefully someone can correct me but here goes: I Palendrome I / She's Actual Size / The Guitar / Fingertips / Boss of Me / How Can I Sing Like A Girl / James K. Polk / Birdhouse In Your Soul / Istanbul / Particle Man / No One Knows My Plan / Ana Ng / Older / Cyclops Rock / Man, It's So Loud In Here / Drink! / Four Of Two / Robot Parade / In The Middle, In The Middle, In The Middle / John Lee Supertaster / Clap Your Hands / Bed Bed Bed / Dr. Worm / On The Drag Like I said, obviously in the wrong order. Too tired now to try to sequence them. So, yeah the opening act, Noe Veneble was an attractive girl who was an obvious TMBG fan. My friend remarked that she sounded much like Phoebe on "Friends." When TMBG came on stage, Flans said that they're used to playing bars when there is a big sporting event going on. People routinely turn around to see the TVs to find out the score. No sports on TV tonight, but they had "Direct From Brooklyn" playing on a TV at the T-shirt stand and Flans remarked that it was frustrating to see himself so thin in the older videos. "She's Actual Size" had a long Dan Hickey drum solo where Flans told the audience to "Press 2 if you wan to hear it in Spanish" and so on like that track on dialasong.com. It was great, but by the end he was saying "Press 13". I don't think my phone has a 13. Anyway, I was finally close enough to the stage to be showered by the JKP confetti (which I snatched up as a souvenier). Flans also said that tonight was the first time they had played "In The Middle" live, which is cool, even if it's not entirely true. I assume it is though. He said there was a free ginger ale for anyone who could correctly name the number of times they screwed up the song. Having finished the song without error, he said something like, "Ha! No ginger ale for anyone!" If you saw anyone with kakhi shorts with what you hoped were CDs in the back pockets, that was me, and yes, they were in fact CDs. They were selling a special compilation CD called "They Got Lost: a compilation of rarities from They Might Be Giants." It has a lot of the LTW, WUFTM, and McSweeny's stuff, and some stuff I hadn't heard that must be from Dial A Song. They said they were only selling it at concerts and tonight was the second show they'd sold it at. I bought one for myself and was holding one for my friend. Here's the track list (in the correct order this time): Rest Awhile / Truth In Words / On The Drag / All Alone / Down To The Bottom Of The Sea / I'm Sick (Of This American Life) / Words Are Like (demo) / I Am A Human Head / Oranges / Empty Bottle Blues / They Got Lost [note: The LTW version] / Reprehensible / Rat Patrol / The Army's Tired Now / Certain People I Could Name / Theme To McSweeny's / Dollar For Dollar / Mosh Momken Abadon / Token Back To Brooklyn / Disappointing Show / Oranges Testimonial We listened to it on the 45 minute drive back to Salt Lake. It's pretty cool, especially since I had never subscribed to TMBG Unlimited. I was actually going to pick up a second copy and offer it to someone on the newsgroup/mailing list but I was distracted by the best part of the night. The T-shirt/CD stand was near the entrance of the bar and as I'm making my way out I see Flansburgh take up a position by the door to sign autographs. I made my way over, ripped off the celophane wrapping of the CD, handed him the liner notes, muttered something incomprehensible I'm sure, and he autographed it (!). I then gave him a pat on the shoulder and told him it was a great show. He said, "thanks." I can die now. So, yeah, I had a great time. I'm sorry for any of you that want the CD. In my excitement, I totally forgot to buy the second copy. Perhaps you can catch it another time. Okay, I think I've finally caught my breath now. -- Shaun www.tmbg.cc ------------------------------ Message-ID: <1026626109.3d31123d222b4@65.57.231.100> Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 01:55:09 -0400 From: makebase@tmbg.cc Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #55-11 From: Quinn Collard > (Hi everybody, btw. I know some of you from the newsgroup...) Hi Quinnly. Wassup? Yeah, you definitely need to be MORE obsessive. :) Shaun www.tmbg.cc ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #55-12 ******************************