Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #56-15 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 56, Number 15 Thursday, 15 August 2002 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: New Yorker Article TMBG: Re: New Yorker Article TMBG: Conan, Articles Re: TMBG: Re: New Yorker Article Re: TMBG: Re: New Yorker Article Re: TMBG: Conan, Articles TMBG: mention in GQ Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2002 23:35:55 -0700 From: GreatBigZ@macdialup.com Subject: TMBG: Re: New Yorker Article Not surprisingly, the New Yorker article is the best I've ever read on TMBG. I've been a subscriber for about 10 years, and the magazine has never let me down, so when I heard they were doing a feature on Them, I was thrilled. The article itself is 5 pages long, includes a really spiffy pic of the Johns (with Flansy's sticker-covered guitar case front and center), and doesn't once use the dreaded Q-word. There are several references to "geek rock" and/or "nerd rock", but that's OK by me. Anyway, I hope everyone picks up a copy; it's definitely worth it. PZ ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:08:41 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: TMBG: Re: New Yorker Article On the assumption I can get a copy in the UK can someone tell me which issue it is? Is the New Yorker monthly or weekly etc? Thanks Richard >>> 14/08/02 07:35:55 >>> Not surprisingly, the New Yorker article is the best I've ever read on TMBG. I've been a subscriber for about 10 years, and the magazine has never let me down, so when I heard they were doing a feature on Them, I was thrilled. The article itself is 5 pages long, includes a really spiffy pic of the Johns (with Flansy's sticker-covered guitar case front and center), and doesn't once use the dreaded Q-word. There are several references to "geek rock" and/or "nerd rock", but that's OK by me. Anyway, I hope everyone picks up a copy; it's definitely worth it. PZ ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Conan, Articles Message-ID: From: "Erik J. Chuss" Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 08:45:13 -0400 I take it some folks caught them on Conan last night. For those that didn't see it, they played "No!" and seged nicely into "Clap Your Hands". They did a great job with the songs. I don't know if anyone caught this but Conan failed to mention that No! was a childrens album. I have to laugh at the thought of some old person with insomnia watching Conan because there was nothing else on and thinking "This is what their singing about today!? Clap your hands and stomp your feet!? What the hell kind of 'rock and roll' is that!? When we were young we listened to songs about hound dogs and rockin around the clock. We didn't have MP3s or CDs back then! No, we had vinyl discs and wax cylinders. Now if only they recorded on them again!" ;-) Leo, Muchos thanks for the CNN article! It was a good one. I have to pick up a copy of the New Yorker. That articles sounds really good as well. Looking forward to the CP show tomorrow night (all except for the heat of course). Now I just have to figure out which TMBG shirt to wear. ;-) Erik ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.1.1.6.0.20020814110137.009ec770@pop.runbox.com> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:03:44 -0400 From: jessie Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: New Yorker Article yeah, the new yorker article was very very good. i actually learned stuff from it that i didn't know beforehand...you could tell it was written by a fan. good stuff. i especially liked the story in the beginning about the waiter. jessie. At 02:35 AM 8/14/02, DZ wrote: >Not surprisingly, the New Yorker article is the best I've ever read on >TMBG. I've been a subscriber for about 10 years, and the magazine has >never let me down, so when I heard they were doing a feature on Them, I >was thrilled. The article itself is 5 pages long, includes a really >spiffy pic of the Johns (with Flansy's sticker-covered guitar case front >and center), and doesn't once use the dreaded Q-word. There are several >references to "geek rock" and/or "nerd rock", but that's OK by >me. Anyway, I hope everyone picks up a copy; it's definitely worth it. > >PZ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.1.1.6.0.20020814110427.009f3510@pop.runbox.com> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:06:03 -0400 From: jessie Subject: Re: TMBG: Re: New Yorker Article At 04:08 AM 8/14/02, Richard wrote: >On the assumption I can get a copy in the UK can someone tell me which >issue it is? Is the New Yorker monthly or weekly etc? >Thanks >Richard it's the August 12 issue. it's got an orange-ish cover. jessie. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.1.1.6.0.20020814110724.009f0350@pop.runbox.com> Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:10:14 -0400 From: jessie Subject: Re: TMBG: Conan, Articles At 08:45 AM 8/14/02, Erik wrote: >I take it some folks caught them on Conan last night. For those that >didn't see it, they played "No!" and seged nicely into "Clap Your Hands". >They did a great job with the songs. I don't know if anyone caught this >but Conan failed to mention that No! was a childrens album. I have to >laugh at the thought of some old person with insomnia watching Conan >because there was nothing else on and thinking rambling voice> "This is what their singing about today!? Clap your hands >and stomp your feet!? What the hell kind of 'rock and roll' is that!? When >we were young we listened to songs about hound dogs and rockin around the >clock. We didn't have MP3s or CDs back then! No, we had vinyl discs and >wax cylinders. Now if only they recorded on them again!" ;-) > >eh, let them think what they want. if people think that tmbg only write >songs about clapping your hands, whatever. we know better. > >Looking forward to the CP show tomorrow night (all except for the heat of >course). Now I just have to figure out which TMBG shirt to wear. ;-) !! getting excited for this show. how many people on this list are going? i hear it might rain tomorrow. that might be interesting...well, it'll cool us off at least? jessie. ------------------------------ From: BethJE@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 22:30:38 EDT Subject: TMBG: mention in GQ There's a little mention about TMBG on the calendar page (page 41) of the August GQ with Vin Diesel on the cover. It says: They Might Be Giants celebrate twenty years of accordion magic in Central Park, site of their very first gig, prompting fans to conclude: "They really are giants." No pictures or anything, but it's a nice mention. There's also a nice little write-up about the awesome Neko Case. My uncle told me about both. Beth http://beth.blogspot.com Peter Marshall: Why do sheep sleep huddled up? Paul Lynde: Because Little Boy Blue's a weirdo! ~The old Hollywood Squares [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #56-15 ******************************