Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #56-21 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 56, Number 21 Wednesday, 21 August 2002 Today's Topics: TMBG: NY article, JH/MC debate, King Quinn, Math, Furniture Re: TMBG: NY article TMBG: Casual wear,Working gloves,Socks and scarfs,Hat and caps TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #56-20 RE: TMBG: Boston 8/17 show #1 review RE: TMBG: NY article, JH/MC debate, King Quinn, Math, Furniture Re: TMBG: NY article, JH/MC debate, King Quinn, Math, Furniture Re: TMBG: Boston 8/17 show #1 review Re: TMBG: NY article TMBG: Re: "King" Quinn Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? Re: TMBG: Older vs. Newer Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? Re: TMBG: Older vs. Newer Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? TMBG: my reviews Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? FS Leaked Tracks (Was Re: TMBG: Older vs. Newer) Re: FS Leaked Tracks (Was Re: TMBG: Older vs. Newer) TMBG: New Yorker Re: FS Leaked Tracks (Was Re: TMBG: Older vs. Newer) Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? Re: FS Leaked Tracks (Was Re: TMBG: Older vs. Newer) TMBG: Hitting the Ground Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: NY article, JH/MC debate, King Quinn, Math, Furniture Message-ID: From: "Erik J. Chuss" Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 07:16:21 -0400 First off, I had someone check out our local library last night to see if they had the New Yorker as well as furniture. They did have the NY and furniture but "the" article issue was missing. I do so want to read it but I don't necessarily want a permanent copy and to pay the associated $9 for a back issue. Could anyone please scan the article and email it to me or send me some furniture? It would be much appreciated. As for the Mink Showroom is better than the They Might be Lincoln, which is better than the Misc. Flood CD, debate. I remember when John Henry came out, full band sound and all, people were burning their hats, furniture, and TMBG CDs saying that TMBG is done and the album is junk. If they dumped TMBG at that time look at ALL the great music and furniture that they missed. It took me a little to "warm" up to the JH CD but it now sits proudly on my TMBG shelf of honor with all the other CDs. Also, we should send something nice to Quinn for his phenominal concert review! Possibly a gift certificate to a furniture store. I was LOL at some of the banter. Their banter is legendary. Thanks for sharing! Also, Also, thanks to someone who pointed out the 4 of 2/1:56 math solution. I really just didn't get it when they mentioned it at the show. I have l;ost mind mind since we burnt the last of the furniture. Erik "Stand on your own head for a change. Give me some skin to call my own." ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:28:06 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: NY article I too would really like to see a copy of this article. Any chance of someone with access to a photocopier sending me a copy in the UK. I promise to pass it on gratis / for free to others on the list in the UK. Thanks Richard >>> "Erik J. Chuss" 20/08/02 12:16:21 >>> First off, I had someone check out our local library last night to see if they had the New Yorker as well as furniture. They did have the NY and furniture but "the" article issue was missing. I do so want to read it but I don't necessarily want a permanent copy and to pay the associated $9 for a back issue. Could anyone please scan the article and email it to me or send me some furniture? It would be much appreciated. As for the Mink Showroom is better than the They Might be Lincoln, which is better than the Misc. Flood CD, debate. I remember when John Henry came out, full band sound and all, people were burning their hats, furniture, and TMBG CDs saying that TMBG is done and the album is junk. If they dumped TMBG at that time look at ALL the great music and furniture that they missed. It took me a little to "warm" up to the JH CD but it now sits proudly on my TMBG shelf of honor with all the other CDs. Also, we should send something nice to Quinn for his phenominal concert review! Possibly a gift certificate to a furniture store. I was LOL at some of the banter. Their banter is legendary. Thanks for sharing! Also, Also, thanks to someone who pointed out the 4 of 2/1:56 math solution. I really just didn't get it when they mentioned it at the show. I have l;ost mind mind since we burnt the last of the furniture. Erik "Stand on your own head for a change. Give me some skin to call my own." ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200208201153.EAA26480@ussdefiant.ufp.org> From: "SINO CONCORD INT'L ENTERPRISES LTD." Subject: TMBG: Casual wear,Working gloves,Socks and scarfs,Hat and caps Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:12:10 +0800 [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: "L Holstein" Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #56-20 Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:03:21 +1000 Message-ID: **Flood is *still* no Lincoln. But neither of them is John Henry Nope, last time I checked flood was flood, John Henry was john henry and Lincoln was ... well, just a bloody great album like all of their stuff. I still cant understand (i'm a kinda new fan) why older fans feel like all new stuff HAS to be compared to older stuff... I mean to compare the second album to the first is normal, but in a band as diverse and unusual as TMBG??? I mean, there is older stuff I really love, and some stuff that I really hate, but accross the board TMBG stuff, new and old is excellent and even on albums that I'm not overly fond of there are songs that I find myself humming out of the blue **not true. I *still* don't like Factory Showroom. :) ------------------------------ Subject: RE: TMBG: Boston 8/17 show #1 review Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:54:39 -0400 Message-ID: From: "Karin Highfield" Boy, how come you Mass guys get Linnell in banter mode? Sometimes it seems like he's making a point of not opening his mouth unless there're notes coming out of it. Here in NY, at least... Maybe it's the ambience, or something... but he really should be used to drunk Brooklyn guys by now. Nice transcription, Quinn! Thank you from the folks who never get to hear Linnell-banter. Karin H ** just because you're floating doesn't mean you haven't drowned ** [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (multipart/alternative)] ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <11d.159f6422.2a93b3ca@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:01:30 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: NY article, JH/MC debate, King Quinn, Math, Furniture In a message dated 8/20/02 7:17:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Erik (who is now back from vacation) writes: > Also, we should send something nice to Quinn for his phenominal > concert review! Possibly a gift certificate to a furniture store. I was > LOL at some of the banter. Their banter is legendary. Thanks for sharing! Agreed. Way to go. Excellent banter transcribery. Woo! DRW [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] Thank you Quinn, for that wonderful reviews. The banter was wonderful. I felt like I was actually there in person! John & John really seemed to be having a good time at that show ... Someday I'll travel to the east coast to see them in concert. You must have taped them to have such a commanding memory of the show banter? I have many TMBG shows to offer in trade, including a video of the show they played on my birthday this year. Since there was room at the end of the tape, I added the FULL version of the "Boss of Me" video, and one of the instores from June. Contact me at russj@tmbg.org for info, or visit http://www.geocities.com/russj_yah/tmbg.htm Russ in Colorado P.S. I still think that Mink Car is excellent! But "No!" is so short, that perhaps both albums should be combined on a single disc? Now, what would the track sequence be if we did that ... ? > Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.0.20020819230529.00a1fec0@pop-server.houston.rr.com> > Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 23:11:00 -0500 > From: Quinn Collard > Subject: TMBG: Boston 8/17 show #1 review > > (Just occurred to me that a lot of you aren't in the newsgroup so I should > post this here too...) > > Victorious Intro > Clap Your Hands > Bed Bed Bed > New York City > Everything Right is Wrong Again > Dr. Worm > Istanbul > Drink! > In the Middle > John Lee Supertaster > Why Does the Sun Shine? > Man, It's So Loud in Here > Robot Parade (children's ver) > Kumbaya > Dead > Fingertips > She's an Angel > 4 of 2 > Meet James Ensor > No! > ----- > Violin > She's Actual Size > Older > Birdhouse in Your Soul > > Banter/notes: ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/russj_yah Berthoud, Colorado, USA "... not everyone is passionate about music ..." -- Joe Jackson "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 11:16:20 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KFGKo32594 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:16:20 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.mailix.net (smtp.mailix.net [216.148.213.132]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KFGJJ32589 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:16:19 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from bryce@tmbg.org) Received: from [10.0.0.101] (helo=calcium) by smtp.mailix.net with smtp (Exim 4.01) id 17hAjy-0002mk-00 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:16:18 -0700 Received: by calcium (sSMTP sendmail emulation); Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:16:18 -0400 Received: from 208.22.73.21 ( [208.22.73.21]) as user bryceland.com@bryceland.com@mailix-imap.frontend by webmail.namezero.com with HTTP; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:16:18 -0400 Message-ID: <1029856578.3d625d4213e7c@webmail.namezero.com> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:16:18 -0400 From: Bryce To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: NY article MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit User-Agent: Internet Messaging Program (IMP) 3.0 X-Originating-IP: 208.22.73.21 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Bryce Richard Hilton : > I too would really like to see a copy of this article. I'm in the middle of transcribing it for tmbg.net's articles section. It'll be up there soon, hopefully by next week. At least the text will; the photo will take me a little longer since my scanner and my computer aren't on speaking terms at the moment. If any of you can scan the photo now, please send it to web@tmbg.net. Bryce Copy shop clerk. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 11:18:15 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KFIFS32718 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:18:15 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.mailix.net (smtp.mailix.net [216.148.213.132]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KFIEJ32713 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:18:14 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from bryce@tmbg.org) Received: from [10.0.0.101] (helo=calcium) by smtp.mailix.net with smtp (Exim 4.01) id 17hAln-0002oH-00 for tmbg-list@tmbg.org; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:18:11 -0700 Received: by calcium (sSMTP sendmail emulation); Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:18:11 -0400 Received: from 208.22.73.21 ( [208.22.73.21]) as user bryceland.com@bryceland.com@mailix-imap.frontend by webmail.namezero.com with HTTP; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:18:11 -0400 Message-ID: <1029856691.3d625db30636f@webmail.namezero.com> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:18:11 -0400 From: Bryce To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Re: "King" Quinn MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit User-Agent: Internet Messaging Program (IMP) 3.0 X-Originating-IP: 208.22.73.21 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Bryce Erik J. Chuss : > Also, we should send something nice to Quinn for his > [phenomenal] concert review! "Her," actually, so it would be have to be "Queen Quinn." Now there's a tongue twister in the making if I've ever seen one. Hmm. "Queen Quinn's clone cleans Green's grin." Bryce I can't say that. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 11:32:15 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KFWFB33199 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:32:15 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f219.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.219]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KFWEJ33194 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:32:14 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:32:08 -0700 Received: from 68.83.100.87 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:32:08 GMT X-Originating-IP: [68.83.100.87] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:32:08 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 20 Aug 2002 15:32:08.0635 (UTC) FILETIME=[BEE130B0:01C2485E] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Lawrence: >>Incidentally, do you like ANY recent TMBG songs or albums? > >depends on how recent. > >4 of 2 is cool, even if they did change it to a less violent version from >the original. but songs like Clap Your Hands and Robot Parade really >detract from the album. Well, I would imagine that Clap Your Hands and Robot Parade were written specifically for kids (although, aside from the constant mentions of children, I don't see Robot Parade as any more "childish" than much of TMBG's body of work), while 4 Of 2 is a song that was adapted for use on a kids' album. Therefore, I'd say CYH and RP are closer to the "spirit" of No! than 4 Of 2 is. And no, I don't think CYH is one of the greatest TMBG songs, but it's fun, and I really have no problem with TMBG writing kids' songs. >and most of Linnell's contributions to Factory Showroom are quite good. I >really wish I could say the same of Flansburgh's, but... they're sub-par >for Flansburgh, not to mention TMBG. Most of Flans's contributions to FS are longer and slower than is typical for TMBG. (Actually, come to think of it, some of Linnell's are as well; I'd say "Spiraling Shape" fits that description, for instance.) When people say they hate these songs, I have to wonder if they heard stuff like "S-E-X-X-Y" or "Pet Name" and said, "Hey, THIS doesn't sound like TMBG!" and then dismissed them without giving them the chance they deserve. (I'll admit that I personally don't care much for "XTC Vs. Adam Ant," but I'm not sure I could tell you WHY I don't really like it.) >album-wise, though, the last full album I can say I really like as an album >is John Henry. the others have too many weaker tracks for me to want to >listen to the whole CDs. I find that the "weaker" tracks will sometimes grow on you if you give them the chance. -- Be your own broom, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 11:43:20 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KFhKI33589 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:43:20 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f20.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.20]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KFhJJ33584 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:43:19 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:43:13 -0700 Received: from 68.83.100.87 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:43:12 GMT X-Originating-IP: [68.83.100.87] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Older vs. Newer Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:43:12 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 20 Aug 2002 15:43:13.0871 (UTC) FILETIME=[4B6425F0:01C24860] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Lyndy: >I still cant understand (i'm a kinda new fan) why older fans feel like all >new >stuff HAS to be compared to older stuff... It certainly doesn't HAVE to be, but I guess it's usual to compare any new release to the older stuff, and the "older stuff" is usually what was released before you became a fan. I became a fan in 1997, so, even though I realized John Henry and Factory Showroom sounded different from the other four albums, they were still part of TMBG's past body of work, and I took them with the rest. People who were fans back 1994 wouldn't have seen these albums that way. >I mean to compare the second >album to the first is normal, but in a band as diverse and unusual as >TMBG??? Actually, maybe partially because of Then, it seems typical for people to lump TMBG's first two albums together. As for the diversity, that's certainly present on every TMBG album, but I'd say there are differences between old TMBG and relatively new TMBG. The tendency to use more guitar, bass, and drums and less accordion and organ is one of these, and I think more recent songs also tend to be longer and more easily understood. I'm not saying which is better, just that the comparison isn't totally ridiculous. -- Be your own broom, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 12:09:32 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KG9Wo34603 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:09:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from sm13.texas.rr.com (sm13.texas.rr.com [24.93.35.40]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KG9VJ34598 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:09:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from rabidchild@tmbg.org) Received: from rabidchild.tmbg.org (cs6668119-37.austin.rr.com [66.68.119.37]) by sm13.texas.rr.com (8.12.0.Beta16/8.12.0.Beta16) with ESMTP id g7KGD6jE029361 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:13:06 -0500 X-Organization: Chelsea Enterprises Message-Id: <5.1.1.6.0.20020820105632.01ea9488@pop-server.austin.rr.com> X-Sender: rabidchild@pop-server.austin.rr.com X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 5.1.1 Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:09:17 -0500 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: paul swan Subject: Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? In-Reply-To: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: paul swan I would definately say that I listened to Factory Showroom and wrote off a lot of songs as not sounding that good, or not the best that TMBG had put out, but slowly but surely I went back and tried again, and it turns out that Pet Name is one of my favorites on the album at this point, and I HATED it when I first played FS. While I find that I have a hard time picking favorites with anything, I'd have to say that FS is pretty much my top TMBG album. All ya'll go back and give it a listen or two more, it is top notch stuff Paul Swan the one and only rabidchild@tmbg.org >Most of Flans's contributions to FS are longer and slower than is typical >for TMBG. (Actually, come to think of it, some of Linnell's are as well; >I'd say "Spiraling Shape" fits that description, for instance.) When >people say they hate these songs, I have to wonder if they heard stuff >like "S-E-X-X-Y" or "Pet Name" and said, "Hey, THIS doesn't sound like >TMBG!" and then dismissed them without giving them the chance they >deserve. (I'll admit that I personally don't care much for "XTC Vs. Adam >Ant," but I'm not sure I could tell you WHY I don't really like it.) From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 12:16:43 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KGGhs34928 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:16:43 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from ussdefiant.ufp.org (ussdefiant.ufp.org [209.249.50.19]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KGGgJ34923 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:16:42 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from mitcharf@tmbg.org) Received: from mg02.austin.ibm.com (mg02.austin.ibm.com [192.35.232.12]) by ussdefiant.ufp.org (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id JAA26790 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:16:41 -0700 (PDT) Received: from austin.ibm.com (netmail2.austin.ibm.com [9.3.7.139]) by mg02.austin.ibm.com (AIX4.3/8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id LAA46114 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:17:55 -0500 Received: from popmail.austin.ibm.com (popmail.austin.ibm.com [9.53.247.178]) by austin.ibm.com (AIX4.3/8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id LAA29382 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:16:39 -0500 Received: from tmbg.org (mitcharf.austin.ibm.com [9.53.146.147]) by popmail.austin.ibm.com (AIX4.3/8.9.3/8.7-client1.01) with ESMTP id LAA31956 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:16:38 -0500 Message-ID: <3D626B65.5DA2C7B5@tmbg.org> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:16:37 -0500 From: Mitch Harding X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.78i [en] (X11; U; AIX 4.3) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? References: <5.1.1.6.0.20020820105632.01ea9488@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Mitch Harding Wow, I didn't know you still read the list, much less posted to it. Will wonders never cease? And I agree, Factory Showroom is excellent. Mitch www.mitcharf.com paul swan wrote: > > I would definately say that I listened to Factory Showroom and wrote off a > lot of songs as not sounding that good, or not the best that TMBG had put > out, but slowly but surely I went back and tried again, and it turns out > that Pet Name is one of my favorites on the album at this point, and I > HATED it when I first played FS. While I find that I have a hard time > picking favorites with anything, I'd have to say that FS is pretty much my > top TMBG album. All ya'll go back and give it a listen or two more, it is > top notch stuff > > Paul Swan > the one and only rabidchild@tmbg.org > > >Most of Flans's contributions to FS are longer and slower than is typical > >for TMBG. (Actually, come to think of it, some of Linnell's are as well; > >I'd say "Spiraling Shape" fits that description, for instance.) When > >people say they hate these songs, I have to wonder if they heard stuff > >like "S-E-X-X-Y" or "Pet Name" and said, "Hey, THIS doesn't sound like > >TMBG!" and then dismissed them without giving them the chance they > >deserve. (I'll admit that I personally don't care much for "XTC Vs. Adam > >Ant," but I'm not sure I could tell you WHY I don't really like it.) -- Mitch Harding 512-838-0445 (t/l 678-0445) hardingm@austin.ibm.com http://www.mitcharf.com/ UPT IST I/O Team Lead Building 905, Office 3G-016 "Though I am not naturally honest, I am so sometimes by chance." - Autolycus (in Shakespeare's "The Winter's Tale") From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 12:34:26 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KGYQR35424 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:34:26 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.vzavenue.net (smtp.vzavenue.net [66.171.59.140]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KGYPJ35419 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:34:25 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from zaph@fruhead.com) Received: from fruhead.com ([63.100.163.28]) by smtp.vzavenue.net (Mirapoint Messaging Server MOS 2.9.3.5) with ESMTP id ADN38113 (AUTH zaph); Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:34:02 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <3D626F79.4040406@fruhead.com> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:34:01 -0400 From: lawrence solomon User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020529 X-Accept-Language: en-us, en MIME-Version: 1.0 CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? References: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: lawrence solomon Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Well, I would imagine that Clap Your Hands and Robot Parade were written > specifically for kids (although, aside from the constant mentions of > children, I don't see Robot Parade as any more "childish" than much of > TMBG's body of work), while 4 Of 2 is a song that was adapted for use on > a kids' album. Therefore, I'd say CYH and RP are closer to the "spirit" > of No! than 4 Of 2 is. And no, I don't think CYH is one of the greatest > TMBG songs, but it's fun, and I really have no problem with TMBG writing > kids' songs. oh, I don't have a problem with it, either, and No! is specifically labelled as "songs for children," but at the same time, John and John have both said that it's an album adults can enjoy as well, and it's not your typical kids album in that it treats the kids as equals, not as inferiors, etc. but I'm not so sure a lot of adults can really enjoy some of the ... kiddier songs on it. true, John and John themselves surely enjoy it (they wouldn't have made it otherwise) but I think that from my point of view, it's disappointing as an album. maybe I'm just 20 years too old for a lot of it. > Most of Flans's contributions to FS are longer and slower than is > typical for TMBG. (Actually, come to think of it, some of Linnell's are > as well; I'd say "Spiraling Shape" fits that description, for I don't think it's the length or tempo that gets to me. it's the musical style. really, the same is true for a lot of his stuff on Mink Car, not counting Another First Kiss, which I hate for many, many reasons. like, Mink Car at least has somewhat interesting lyrics, but it's boring as hell. S-E-X-X-Y, How Can I Sing Like a Girl and XTC vs. Adam Ant are too heavy on the long guitar solos, something that, for the most part, TMBG songs didn't really have before, and still pretty much don't have - sure, Bangs and Cyclops Rock have instrumental bridges, but not long wailing solos. but I also think all three of those songs are very weak lyrically. they just don't have much substance to them at all, and are rather repetetive. but this has always been more a feature of Flansburgh's songs than Linnell's - I just think he didn't make the most of it on Factory Showroom. I prefer songs with good lyrics, and I think that's always been one of Linnell's strengths. > instance.) When people say they hate these songs, I have to wonder if > they heard stuff like "S-E-X-X-Y" or "Pet Name" and said, "Hey, THIS > doesn't sound like TMBG!" and then dismissed them without giving them > the chance they deserve. (I'll admit that I personally don't care much Pet Name, I will admit, has some great lines. but the music bores me. not as much as Another First Kiss, but still enough for me ot not really want to listen to it. > I find that the "weaker" tracks will sometimes grow on you if you give > them the chance. this actually did happen with Dirt Bike for me. that's the one I can think of immediately. now I think it's one of their best songs. I can't think of anything else off hand, though, that grew on me quite so much. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 12:44:06 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KGi6N35807 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:44:06 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.vzavenue.net (smtp.vzavenue.net [66.171.59.140]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KGi6J35802 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:44:06 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from zaph@fruhead.com) Received: from fruhead.com ([63.100.163.28]) by smtp.vzavenue.net (Mirapoint Messaging Server MOS 2.9.3.5) with ESMTP id ADN38434 (AUTH zaph); Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:43:54 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <3D6271C9.9060601@fruhead.com> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:43:53 -0400 From: lawrence solomon User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020529 X-Accept-Language: en-us, en MIME-Version: 1.0 CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? References: <5.1.1.6.0.20020820105632.01ea9488@pop-server.austin.rr.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: lawrence solomon paul swan wrote: > I would definately say that I listened to Factory Showroom and wrote off > a lot of songs as not sounding that good, or not the best that TMBG had > put out, but slowly but surely I went back and tried again, and it turns > out that Pet Name is one of my favorites on the album at this point, and > I HATED it when I first played FS. While I find that I have a hard time > picking favorites with anything, I'd have to say that FS is pretty much > my top TMBG album. All ya'll go back and give it a listen or two more, > it is top notch stuff I will say this in Factory Showroom's favour - it's mostly consistent. in the same way the the previous albums were mostly consistent. the guitar styles and effects they used are basically the same from song; they used similar keyboard sounds throughout the album, etc. Mink Car is really the first TMBG album to not have that. All the songs are drastically different from each other, to the point where the album doesn't flow. I think Factory showroom actually has a really good flow to it, even if I don't like some of the individual songs, and The Bells are Ringing is a way better ending than Working Undercover for the Man. the reason, of course, is the lack of consistent production on Mink Car. because of Malcolm in the Middle, they went into the studio to record stuff for TMBG whenever they could, so they had different equipment and different people available. Factory Showroom was recorded and produced all in the same sessions. As were all the other albums. Mink Car even has one track - Hopeless Bleak Despair - that has separate production for the verses and refrains and the bridge, at least according to the Johns. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 13:15:55 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KHFtx36673 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:15:55 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from smtp.vzavenue.net (smtp.vzavenue.net [66.171.59.140]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KHFtJ36668 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:15:55 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from zaph@fruhead.com) Received: from fruhead.com ([63.100.163.28]) by smtp.vzavenue.net (Mirapoint Messaging Server MOS 2.9.3.5) with ESMTP id ADN39535 (AUTH zaph); Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:15:19 -0400 (EDT) Message-ID: <3D627927.1040008@fruhead.com> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 13:15:19 -0400 From: lawrence solomon User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.0.0) Gecko/20020529 X-Accept-Language: en-us, en MIME-Version: 1.0 CC: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: Older vs. Newer References: Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: lawrence solomon Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > It certainly doesn't HAVE to be, but I guess it's usual to compare any > new release to the older stuff, and the "older stuff" is usually what > was released before you became a fan. I became a fan in 1997, so, even > though I realized John Henry and Factory Showroom sounded different from > the other four albums, they were still part of TMBG's past body of work, > and I took them with the rest. People who were fans back 1994 wouldn't > have seen these albums that way. well, I first heard TMBG in 1991 (god, that was *11* years ago?! sheesh) but didn't really become a fan until summer of 1994. I had all four albums before September, when John Henry was released. now, a couple of interesting notes - four albums plus Miscellaneous T. there was *nothing* else. There were a few other EPs. but that's it. no Unlimited - barely even an internet. So we're talking about less than 100 songs. And less than 90 that most people knew. There wasn't a whole lot of bootleg trading then, certainly not to the degree there is now. And Napster, KaZaa, iMesh, etc, were all a good 5 years away. anyway... so John Henry accounted for nearly 20% of their material when it came out. it was hard *not* to take it by itself and judge it as its own entity. especially for a new fan who had just picked up all their other material over the previous four months. I especially didn't care that it was full band vs. duo (and I was, in fact, a little confused seeing "their full band debut..." on it) but still, it was all *new* to me and everyone else - that is, I may have been a new fan, but John Henry didn't exist when I started listening, so I had plenty of time to get "into" the other albums first, and John Henry still came out on top. (hrm. full band vs. duo. reminds me of another mailing list I'm on) now, though, there are at least 3 times as many songs out there. floating around in various forms, on CD, on Unlimited, taped from Dial-a-Song and made into mp3s, and so on. so a new album is almost a trivial amount of material (never mind the fact that the two most recent new albums almost completely overlapped with material that was already floating around in some form) there are even studio leaks - they recorded an extra 7 songs for Factory Showroom that got cut for one reason or another, and I'm sure they did not expect us to ever hear them (although they had been playing most of them live) and I think that may have sort of been the beginning of the "what were they thinking?" attitude among a lot of fans (since the extra 7 songs were way better than some of the stuff that did make it onto the album) that's another thing that allowed people to more easily accept the other albums - what choice did they have. we couldn't have really said "Oh, they should have included X instead," because there was no X. > between old TMBG and relatively new TMBG. The tendency to use more > guitar, bass, and drums and less accordion and organ is one of these, > and I think more recent songs also tend to be longer and more easily > understood. I'm not saying which is better, just that the comparison > isn't totally ridiculous. the focus has definitely moved more towards guitars. and I think that's a bad thing because it makes John and John unequal. Linnell is getting pushed more and more into the background by the two guitarists. From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 14:49:08 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KIn8n39305 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:49:08 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-m07.mx.aol.com (imo-m07.mx.aol.com [64.12.136.162]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KIn7J39299 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:49:07 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from BethJE@aol.com) Received: from BethJE@aol.com by imo-m07.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v33.5.) id i.16f.126dc5f6 (3890) for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:48:56 -0400 (EDT) From: BethJE@aol.com Message-ID: <16f.126dc5f6.2a93e917@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:48:55 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_16f.126dc5f6.2a93e917_boundary" X-Mailer: AOL 7.0 for Windows US sub 10516 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: BethJE@aol.com --part1_16f.126dc5f6.2a93e917_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Mitch the bartender wrote: > And I agree, Factory Showroom is excellent. > YES! You are right! And many other people are wrong. (haha!) FS has been my favorite since I bought it three years ago. Beth Mitch just sounds like a bartender name to me. --part1_16f.126dc5f6.2a93e917_boundary Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Mitch the bartender wrote:
And I agree, Factory Showroom is excellent.

YES! You are right! And many other people are wrong. (haha!)

FS has been my favorite since I bought it three years ago.

Beth
Mitch just sounds like a bartender name to me.
--part1_16f.126dc5f6.2a93e917_boundary-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 15:24:32 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KJOW440295 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:24:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from sm13.texas.rr.com (sm13.texas.rr.com [24.93.35.40]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KJOVJ40290 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:24:31 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from selfcallednowhere@houston.rr.com) Received: from sven.houston.rr.com (cs24174101-16.houston.rr.com [24.174.101.16]) by sm13.texas.rr.com (8.12.0.Beta16/8.12.0.Beta16) with ESMTP id g7KJS5jE013403 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:28:05 -0500 Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.0.20020820140122.00a12830@pop-server.houston.rr.com> X-Sender: selfcallednowhere@pop-server.houston.rr.com X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 5.1 Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:19:39 -0500 To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org From: Quinn Collard Subject: TMBG: my reviews In-Reply-To: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Quinn Collard 1) Yeh, I'm a girl. Damn me and my ambiguous name :) 2) No, I didn't tape it, I just take lots of notes. I am however supposed to be getting a copy of it from someone. Russ, I believe you've traded stuff with my boyfriend, Rich Green, before... 3) Thanks to everyone for saying they enjoyed it, made me feel all appreciated and special and such...no one in the newsgroup really said much so I was starting to think I typed all that up for nothing. 4) I wrote a similarly long and detailed review of one of the shows in LA last month which I don't think I posted here. I can do so now though if y'all want me to though. Quinn {http://www.angelfire.com/tx/quinncorner/index.html} "I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go." ~John Linnell From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 15:49:23 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KJnNZ41005 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:49:23 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f174.pav2.hotmail.com [64.4.37.174]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KJnMJ41000 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:49:22 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from pahteeh@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 12:49:16 -0700 Received: from 147.70.62.85 by pv2fd.pav2.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:49:16 GMT X-Originating-IP: [147.70.62.85] From: "Patty Castillo" To: zaph@fruhead.com Cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 15:49:16 -0400 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 20 Aug 2002 19:49:16.0836 (UTC) FILETIME=[AACDD640:01C24882] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Patty Castillo" lawrence solomon wrote: >Pet Name, I will admit, has some great lines. but the music bores me. not >as much as Another First Kiss, but still enough for me ot not really want >to listen to it. I used to think the same way about Pet Name; it was one of the tracks that I would always skip over when listening to FS. I don't know when or how but it suddenly grew on me one day. I think I heard someone mention that They played it live with all the lights off, and when I imagined that the song had a whole new appeal to me. Very groovy, like. Now it's one of my favorites. _________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 17:12:33 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KLCX043342 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:12:33 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from mork.uni.uiuc.edu (IDENT:root@mork.uni.uiuc.edu [128.174.26.251]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KLCWJ43337 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:12:32 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from brodsky@mork.uni.uiuc.edu) Received: from localhost (brodsky@localhost) by mork.uni.uiuc.edu (8.11.6/8.11.2) with ESMTP id g7KLCH412326; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:12:17 -0500 Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:12:17 -0500 (CDT) From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Iia=E9aux_Alod?= To: Nathan Mulac DeHoff cc: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? In-Reply-To: Message-ID: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Iia=E9aux_Alod?= I agree about the weaker tracks, in fact some of my favorite TMBG songs are ones that I immediately thought "ugh." upon first hearing them. Mostly with John Henry. After the first listening I put it away for about a month. The next time I listened to it I decided that it wasn't really all that bad, and by the third time I had decided that it was one of their best albums. Now, I haven't heard much of anything off of NO! but considering that it is a children's album you can't analyze it the same way you would their other albums. It sounds fun to me. :) Mink Car is a great album, I mean, look at what they've incorporated into their songs. Personally I don't like the sound of Mr. Xcitement, but I find it funny how easily a group like TMBG can sound like some rappers. The little kids that run through my house now and then seem to really enjoy yelling the "awwwwwwwwww yes!" part. I've Got A Fang is a great little song. "Glistening white, triangle tooth, open up a can of tomato juice..." How can you not like that? It's classic TMBG! Factory Showroom is great too. The first time I heard S-E-X-X-Y was off of Severe Tire Damage and I didn't like it all that much, but the strings really add to it and it's certainly grown on ME since that first listening. I love Metal Detector and Exquisite Dead Guy is hilarious. I guess my point is, give some of the songs you don't like so much a few more listens and maybe you'll find that they are actually some pretty great little tunes. Goodd'ay. --Iiaeaux Alod On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: > Lawrence: > >>Incidentally, do you like ANY recent TMBG songs or albums? > > > >depends on how recent. > > > >4 of 2 is cool, even if they did change it to a less violent version from > >the original. but songs like Clap Your Hands and Robot Parade really > >detract from the album. > > Well, I would imagine that Clap Your Hands and Robot Parade were written > specifically for kids (although, aside from the constant mentions of > children, I don't see Robot Parade as any more "childish" than much of > TMBG's body of work), while 4 Of 2 is a song that was adapted for use on a > kids' album. Therefore, I'd say CYH and RP are closer to the "spirit" of > No! than 4 Of 2 is. And no, I don't think CYH is one of the greatest TMBG > songs, but it's fun, and I really have no problem with TMBG writing kids' > songs. > > >and most of Linnell's contributions to Factory Showroom are quite good. I > >really wish I could say the same of Flansburgh's, but... they're sub-par > >for Flansburgh, not to mention TMBG. > > Most of Flans's contributions to FS are longer and slower than is typical > for TMBG. (Actually, come to think of it, some of Linnell's are as well; > I'd say "Spiraling Shape" fits that description, for instance.) When people > say they hate these songs, I have to wonder if they heard stuff like > "S-E-X-X-Y" or "Pet Name" and said, "Hey, THIS doesn't sound like TMBG!" and > then dismissed them without giving them the chance they deserve. (I'll > admit that I personally don't care much for "XTC Vs. Adam Ant," but I'm not > sure I could tell you WHY I don't really like it.) > > >album-wise, though, the last full album I can say I really like as an album > >is John Henry. the others have too many weaker tracks for me to want to > >listen to the whole CDs. > > I find that the "weaker" tracks will sometimes grow on you if you give them > the chance. > -- > Be your own broom, > Nathan > DinnerBell@tmbg.org > http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ > > > _________________________________________________________________ > Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com > -- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 19:07:11 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KN7Bl46194 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:07:11 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from mail.speakeasy.net (mail15.speakeasy.net [216.254.0.215]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KN7AJ46189 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:07:11 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from hangdman@cc.gatech.edu) Received: (qmail 2416 invoked from network); 20 Aug 2002 23:07:04 -0000 Received: from unknown (HELO ?216.27.160.233?) ([216.27.160.233]) (envelope-sender ) by mail15.speakeasy.net (qmail-ldap-1.03) with SMTP for ; 20 Aug 2002 23:07:04 -0000 User-Agent: Microsoft-Entourage/10.0.0.1309 Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:07:05 -0400 Subject: FS Leaked Tracks (Was Re: TMBG: Older vs. Newer) From: the hanged man To: lawrence solomon CC: tmbg-list Message-ID: In-Reply-To: <3D627927.1040008@fruhead.com> Mime-version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: the hanged man on 8/20/02 1:15 PM, lawrence solomon brought forth the following from the ugyldig: > there are even studio leaks - they recorded an extra 7 songs for Factory > Showroom that got cut for one reason or another, and I'm sure they did > not expect us to ever hear them (although they had been playing most of > them live) and I think that may have sort of been the beginning of the > "what were they thinking?" attitude among a lot of fans (since the extra > 7 songs were way better than some of the stuff that did make it onto the > album) Speaking of this, now that twistid is down, does anyone know where to find this songs anymore? -- Matt Brown (hangdman@cc.gatech.edu) cs1321 Head TA Ga Tech PST Undergrad Philosophy Society Chairman http://thm.askee.net Society of Physics Students Member -= "Every day is a good day" - Zen Proverb =- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 19:10:42 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KNAgT46323 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:10:42 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from imo-r03.mx.aol.com (imo-r03.mx.aol.com [152.163.225.99]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KNAgJ46318 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:10:42 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from Kaylum@aol.com) Received: from Kaylum@aol.com by imo-r03.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v33.5.) id i.107.16ac0fa7 (18555) for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:10:32 -0400 (EDT) From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: <107.16ac0fa7.2a942667@aol.com> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:10:31 EDT Subject: Re: FS Leaked Tracks (Was Re: TMBG: Older vs. Newer) To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_107.16ac0fa7.2a942667_boundary" X-Mailer: AOL 7.0 for Windows US sub 10503 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Kaylum@aol.com --part1_107.16ac0fa7.2a942667_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit > Speaking of this, now that twistid is down, does anyone know where to find > this songs anymore? On the Drag is on the Working Undercover ep, and the rest (with the exception of the first version of Older) are on Long Tall Weekend; I believe both are still avalable from emusic.com. --part1_107.16ac0fa7.2a942667_boundary Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Speaking of this, now that twistid is down, does anyone know where to find
this songs anymore?

On the Drag is on the Working Undercover ep, and the rest (with the exception of the first version of Older) are on Long Tall Weekend; I believe both are still avalable from emusic.com.
--part1_107.16ac0fa7.2a942667_boundary-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 19:29:24 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KNTO846778 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:29:24 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from sccmmhc02.mchsi.com (sccmmhc02.mchsi.com [204.127.203.184]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KNTNJ46773 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:29:23 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from itsfuntosteal@mchsi.com) Received: from c128776a ([12.217.73.165]) by sccmmhc02.mchsi.com (InterMail vM.4.01.03.27 201-229-121-127-20010626) with SMTP id <20020820232918.CJAW7903.sccmmhc02.mchsi.com@c128776a> for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:29:18 +0000 Message-ID: <003201c248a1$6dca3c60$a549d90c@mchsi.com> From: "Jackie York" To: Subject: TMBG: New Yorker Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 18:29:28 -0500 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_002F_01C24877.84C1D9C0" X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Jackie York" This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C24877.84C1D9C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi - If anyone still wants to read the New Yorker article, I typed it up and = it's here: http://www.iblameyou.com/articles/regular/020812ny.html=20 Also the picture I scanned is here: = http://home.earthlink.net/%7Eparacetamol/mink/mink19.jpg Hope this helps. Jackie ------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C24877.84C1D9C0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Hi -

If anyone still wants to read the New Yorker article, I typed it up = and=20 it's here: http://w= ww.iblameyou.com/articles/regular/020812ny.html 

Also the picture I scanned is here: http://= home.earthlink.net/%7Eparacetamol/mink/mink19.jpg

Hope this helps.

Jackie
------=_NextPart_000_002F_01C24877.84C1D9C0-- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 19:35:21 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7KNZLe46949 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:35:21 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from mail.speakeasy.net (mail15.speakeasy.net [216.254.0.215]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7KNZKJ46944 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:35:20 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from hangdman@cc.gatech.edu) Received: (qmail 15319 invoked from network); 20 Aug 2002 23:35:14 -0000 Received: from unknown (HELO ?216.27.160.233?) ([216.27.160.233]) (envelope-sender ) by mail15.speakeasy.net (qmail-ldap-1.03) with SMTP for ; 20 Aug 2002 23:35:14 -0000 User-Agent: Microsoft-Entourage/10.0.0.1309 Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 19:35:14 -0400 Subject: Re: FS Leaked Tracks (Was Re: TMBG: Older vs. Newer) From: the hanged man To: , tmbg-list Message-ID: In-Reply-To: <107.16ac0fa7.2a942667@aol.com> Mime-version: 1.0 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: the hanged man on 8/20/02 7:10 PM, Kaylum@aol.com brought forth the following from the ugyldig: >> Speaking of this, now that twistid is down, does anyone know where to find >> this songs anymore? > > On the Drag is on the Working Undercover ep, and the rest (with the exception > of the first version of Older) are on Long Tall Weekend; I believe both are > still avalable from emusic.com. Oh, so I already have them. Cool. -- Matt Brown (hangdman@cc.gatech.edu) cs1321 Head TA Ga Tech PST Undergrad Philosophy Society Chairman http://thm.askee.net Society of Physics Students Member -= "Every day is a good day" - Zen Proverb =- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 20:19:22 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7L0JMW47993 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:19:22 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f250.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.236.128]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7L0JMJ47988 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:19:22 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:19:16 -0700 Received: from 68.83.100.87 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:19:16 GMT X-Originating-IP: [68.83.100.87] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: TMBG: oh my, what is this? Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:19:16 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 21 Aug 2002 00:19:16.0802 (UTC) FILETIME=[62BC7A20:01C248A8] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Iiaeaux: >Personally I don't like the sound of Mr. Xcitement, but I find it funny >how easily a group like TMBG can sound like some rappers. Well, really, TMBG doesn't have that much to do with that song. It's mostly Mike Doughty and the Velcro Horns. >I've Got A Fang is a great little song. >"Glistening white, triangle tooth, open up a can of tomato juice..." How >can you not like that? It's classic TMBG! I don't know if I'd call it "classic TMBG"; it's probably a little goofier than usual for the band. Still, it's a good song, but not really one of my personal favorites. -- Be your own broom, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Tue Aug 20 20:20:33 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7L0KXs48072 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:20:33 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from hotmail.com (f113.law7.hotmail.com [216.33.237.113]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7L0KXJ48067 for ; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 20:20:33 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from xornom@hotmail.com) Received: from mail pickup service by hotmail.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC; Tue, 20 Aug 2002 17:20:27 -0700 Received: from 68.83.100.87 by lw7fd.law7.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP; Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:20:27 GMT X-Originating-IP: [68.83.100.87] From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Re: FS Leaked Tracks (Was Re: TMBG: Older vs. Newer) Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:20:27 +0000 Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed Message-ID: X-OriginalArrivalTime: 21 Aug 2002 00:20:27.0877 (UTC) FILETIME=[8D19A950:01C248A8] Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Kaylum: > > Speaking of this, now that twistid is down, does anyone know where to >find > > this songs anymore? > >On the Drag is on the Working Undercover ep, and the rest (with the >exception >of the first version of Older) are on Long Tall Weekend; I believe both are >still avalable from emusic.com. That version of On The Drag is different from the FS Sessions one, but I believe all the other songs (except for the previously mentioned Older) are the same recordings. -- Be your own broom, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://www.geocities.com/fablesto/ _________________________________________________________________ Chat with friends online, try MSN Messenger: http://messenger.msn.com From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Wed Aug 21 01:15:40 2002 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) id g7L5Fev55480 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Wed, 21 Aug 2002 01:15:40 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org) Received: from sccmmhc02.mchsi.com (sccmmhc02.mchsi.com [204.127.203.184]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id g7L5FdJ55475 for ; Wed, 21 Aug 2002 01:15:39 -0400 (EDT) (envelope-from itsfuntosteal@mchsi.com) Received: from c128776a ([12.217.73.165]) by sccmmhc02.mchsi.com (InterMail vM.4.01.03.27 201-229-121-127-20010626) with SMTP id <20020821051534.EVJL7903.sccmmhc02.mchsi.com@c128776a> for ; Wed, 21 Aug 2002 05:15:34 +0000 Message-ID: <000d01c248d1$cc1ccf00$a549d90c@mchsi.com> From: "Jackie York" To: Subject: TMBG: Hitting the Ground Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 00:15:42 -0500 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----=_NextPart_000_000A_01C248A7.E31C0D80" X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600 X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: "Jackie York" This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C248A7.E31C0D80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I bought the new Gordon Gano cd "Hitting The Ground" and TMBG have a = song on there. It's Linnell on vocals and it's called Darlin' Allison. = Has anyone else heard it yet? Jackie ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C248A7.E31C0D80 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
I bought the new Gordon Gano cd "Hitting The Ground" and TMBG have = a song=20 on there. It's Linnell on vocals and it's called Darlin' Allison. Has = anyone=20 else heard it yet?

Jackie
------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C248A7.E31C0D80-- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #56-21 ******************************