Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #57-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 57, Number 3 Wednesday, 4 September 2002 Today's Topics: TMBG: Gignatic Review? TMBG: Interpretations Re: TMBG: Gignatic Review? Re: TMBG: Interpretations Re: TMBG: Interpretations Re: TMBG: Interpretations Re: TMBG: Interpretations Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: Gignatic Review? Message-ID: From: "Erik J. Chuss" Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 10:46:00 -0400 Things have been pretty quiet on here all except for the spam (and no singing that bloody song please!) I did check out some of the pictures of the recent Gigantics screenings. I was surprised/glad to see the size of the crowds. Has anyone who has recently seen Gigantic care to offer a review of the movie? I thought I read an early review from some magazine but I was curious what the fans on here might think. Erik "Where are the Leffels of Yesteryear?" ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 16:52:36 -0500 (CDT) From: Iiaeaux_Alod Subject: TMBG: Interpretations Message-ID: Hi everyone, I'm going to teach a class for high school students on "Interpreting Pointless Songs", and I know that there are plenty of tmbg songs out there that would be good for this purpose, but I'm having difficulty deciding which ones would be best. I was wondering if anyone thinks any particular songs would be good for interpretation. I have some pretty bright high schoolers to teach so don't worry about their intellectual abilities. :) Also, are there any other groups you could recommend? -- Iiaeaux Alod ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.0.20020903164336.009fc140@pop-server.houston.rr.com> Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 16:44:27 -0500 From: Quinn Collard Subject: Re: TMBG: Gignatic Review? If you want me to I can dig up the review I posted to the newsgroup after I saw the premiere in Austin... Quinn {http://www.angelfire.com/tx/quinncorner/index.html} "I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go." ~John Linnell ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.1.0.14.0.20020903170632.00a05130@pop-server.houston.rr.com> Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 17:07:33 -0500 From: Quinn Collard Subject: Re: TMBG: Interpretations Spiraling Shape is *great* for interpreting. I've gone through three different interpretations myself... Quinn {http://www.angelfire.com/tx/quinncorner/index.html} "I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go." ~John Linnell ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003001c2539e$23a8d300$2a008c41@0021434253> From: "Miranda Phifer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Interpretations Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 19:03:27 -0400 Dirt Bike was a fun one for me to interpret... then there's also I Palindrome I, which is pretty self explanatory... wish i could think of more (b/c i know there are sooo many)...i'm a little tired... <3 miranda ----- Original Message ----- From: "Quinn Collard" To: Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 6:07 PM Subject: Re: TMBG: Interpretations > Spiraling Shape is *great* for interpreting. I've gone through three > different interpretations myself... > > Quinn {http://www.angelfire.com/tx/quinncorner/index.html} > > "I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go." > ~John Linnell > > ------------------------------ From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: Interpretations Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 20:20:06 -0400 Message-ID: I don't understand. Are you asking them to interpret things and then saying "You're wrong, it's pointless," to prove some lesson about overanalyzing, or is it just some kind of thinking exercise since there's no right or wrong answer? Either way, it sounds like you should use one of the dozens of TMBG songs that feel so close to making sense, but really they don't. Particle Man, Whistling in the Dark, Self Called Nowhere, and Where Your Eyes Don't Go are all songs that I listen to, think I've figured them out, and then change my mind. >From: Iiaeaux Alod >Reply-To: Iiaeaux Alod >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Interpretations >Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 16:52:36 -0500 (CDT) > >Hi everyone, I'm going to teach a class for high school students on >"Interpreting Pointless Songs", and I know that there are plenty of tmbg >songs out there that would be good for this purpose, but I'm having >difficulty deciding which ones would be best. I was wondering if anyone >thinks any particular songs would be good for interpretation. I have some >pretty bright high schoolers to teach so don't worry about their >intellectual abilities. :) Also, are there any other groups you could >recommend? > >-- Iiaeaux Alod > _________________________________________________________________ Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: http://mobile.msn.com ------------------------------ Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 20:23:46 -0400 (EDT) From: Christine Fernsebner Eslao Subject: Re: TMBG: Interpretations Message-ID: "It's Not My Birthday" would be a good one. Other groups with nonsensical songs? Off the top of my head: The Boredoms, the Cocteau Twin, The Legendary Pink Dots, His Name Is Alive, maybe some of the Pixies, or early Patti Smith... Christine Fernsebner Eslao | cfe98@hampshire.edu | www.zole.org/sushiesque > Hi everyone, I'm going to teach a class for high school students on > "Interpreting Pointless Songs", and I know that there are plenty of tmbg > songs out there that would be good for this purpose, but I'm having > difficulty deciding which ones would be best. I was wondering if anyone > thinks any particular songs would be good for interpretation. I have some > pretty bright high schoolers to teach so don't worry about their > intellectual abilities. :) Also, are there any other groups you could > recommend? > > -- Iiaeaux Alod > ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #57-3 *****************************