Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #59-13 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 59, Number 13 Thursday, 14 November 2002 Today's Topics: TMBG: Mp3.com Music Festival - Enter Your Band Today! TMBG: Mp3.com Music Festival - Seeks Unsigned Talent TMBG: RE: Moderation Re: TMBG: RE: Moderation Re: NON-TMBG: RE: Moderation TMBG: Modest Mouse / TMBG TMBG: Re: Modest Mouse / TMBG Re: non-TMBG: spam plan at hand Re: non-TMBG: spam plan at hand Re: non-TMBG: spam plan at hand RE: non-TMBG: spam plan at hand Re: non-TMBG: spam plan at hand TMBG: Top~All kinds of bag materials~offer best prices & high quality!! Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-Id: <200211131240.gADCeKa05665@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: Promo@usmt.com Subject: TMBG: Mp3.com Music Festival - Enter Your Band Today! Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 05:54:06 -0800 --- PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL OFFICIAL CONTACT INFO LISTED BELOW---- Partnering with the biggest names in Music Entertainment Mp3.com, Vivendi Universal, and Rollingstone.com have come together to sponsor one of the biggest multi-media music entertainment events today. We're referring to the U.S. Music Tradeshow, and we are giving over 250 Lucky bands a place in performance history by way of our 3000 Screaming Fans Contest & Artist Showcase Talent Search. All Interested Bands who are interested in Performaning Live at the USMT must complete an Mp3.com Music Showcase Application and submit it directly to the U.S.Music Tradeshow Heaquarters before February 15th, 2003. Our 25-Panel Selection committee begins judging & all registered bands beginning February 25th, 2003 with all bands having been contacted by May 11th, 2003. INTERNATIONAL SUBMISSIONS WELCOME! For More Information about Genres, Prize Info, and Submission Guidlines concerning the 3000 Screaming Fans Talent Search, being brought you by MP3.com please click below: http://www.usmusictradeshow.com/Screamingfans ENTRY: Bands Can Register via snail mail or online by clicking below: http://www.usmusictradeshow.com/screamingfans/form.htm Questions or Concerns? Contact our the U.S.M.T. Selection Committe via the web at: contestquestions@usmusictradeshow.com Have a Technical/Web-Related Question? Contact the U.S.M.T. Help Desk: help@usmusictradeshow.com Want to Speak to Big Boss? Contact Brad Huert, U.S.M.T. Talent Director directly at: brad@usmusictradeshow.com Brought to you by: MP3.COM/PART OF THE VIVENDI UNIVERSAL MEDIA GROUP www.usmusictradeshow.com www.mp3.com www.vivendiuniversal.com www.rollingstone.com www.emusic.com www.2clickout.com www.area723.com www.broadwayrecordings.net www.azurehouston.com www.sambuccajazzcafe.com ---Note If you got this email in error please disregard ---- ------------------------------ Message-Id: <200211131309.gADD9Pa06116@ussenterprise.ufp.org> From: Promo@usmt.com Subject: TMBG: Mp3.com Music Festival - Seeks Unsigned Talent Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 06:58:44 -0800 --- PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL OFFICIAL CONTACT INFO LISTED BELOW---- Partnering with the biggest names in Music Entertainment Mp3.com, Vivendi Universal, and Rollingstone.com have come together to sponsor one of the biggest multi-media music entertainment events today. We're referring to the U.S. Music Tradeshow, and we are giving over 250 Lucky bands a place in performance history by way of our 3000 Screaming Fans Contest & Artist Showcase Talent Search. All Interested Bands who are interested in Performaning Live at the USMT must complete an Mp3.com Music Showcase Application and submit it directly to the U.S.Music Tradeshow Heaquarters before February 15th, 2003. Our 25-Panel Selection committee begins judging & all registered bands beginning February 25th, 2003 with all bands having been contacted by May 11th, 2003. For More Information about the 3000 Screaming Fans Talent Search please click below: http://www.usmusictradeshow.com/Screamingfans Contact US: Questions or Concerns? Contact our the U.S.M.T. Selection Committe via the web at: contestquestions@usmusictradeshow.com Have a Technical/Web-Related Question? Contact the U.S.M.T. Help Desk: help@usmusictradeshow.com Want to Speak to Big Boss? Contact Brad Huert, U.S.M.T. Talent Director directly at: brad@usmusictradeshow.com Brought to you by: MP3.COM/PART OF THE VIVENDI UNIVERSAL MEDIA GROUP www.usmusictradeshow.com www.mp3.com www.vivendiuniversal.com www.rollingstone.com www.emusic.com www.2clickout.com www.area723.com www.broadwayrecordings.net www.azurehouston.com www.sambuccajazzcafe.com ---Note If you got this email in error please disregard ---- ------------------------------ From: "Olaf" Subject: TMBG: RE: Moderation Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 09:10:58 -0800 Message-ID: <000401c28b37$a22d38d0$6cf42f04@olafp0d413sb8n> >Olaf (not Count, I'm hoping): No? I don't know of a count with my name...there was a king, I think... >>You know, I'm hopping on the Let Only Members Post bandwagon, if there >>is such a thing, and if anyone cares that I jump on it. >I agree, and, since this topic has been debated for so long, I wonder why nothing has been done yet. Well, who's in charge around here? Is there a moderator? I seriously doubt we've been left alone to our own devices... If not, can anyone change that kind of thing? I don't know where to do it, but maybe one of you all does? -Olaf ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 12:32:03 -0500 From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: RE: Moderation Message-ID: <5D18A7B9.33F97CE6.0004C8AF@aol.com> In a message dated 11/13/2002 12:10:58 PM Eastern Standard Time, Rabidium@hotmail.com writes: > I seriously > doubt we've been left alone to our own devices For all intents and purposes, we have been (although Leo Bicknell is still official operator of the list, as far as I know). Kay ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: NON-TMBG: RE: Moderation Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:10:07 +0000 Message-ID: Olaf again: > >Olaf (not Count, I'm hoping): > >No? I don't know of a count with my name...there was a king, I think... Count Olaf is the villain in the Lemony Snicket books. >Well, who's in charge around here? Is there a moderator? I seriously >doubt we've been left alone to our own devices... If not, can anyone >change that kind of thing? I don't know where to do it, but maybe one of >you all does? Leo is in charge of the list, but he doesn't really moderate (obviously, since spam would probably never go through at all if he did, unless he just hates us ). He'd certainly be the person to contact about this, and he's even suggested a "members-only" list, but he hasn't posted in some time. You can probably get his e-mail address at tmbg.org, if you're interested. Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00e501c28b4b$e47fe430$0400005a@IBMT1PADZGHKZN> From: "Mitch Harding" Subject: TMBG: Modest Mouse / TMBG Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:35:57 -0600 Maybe this has been discussed already, I'm not sure. I was just listening to the song "Paper Thin Walls" by Modest Mouse and one of the lyrics is "Laugh hard it's a long ways to the bank". Very close (ok, identical, other than the 's' at the end of 'ways') to the TMBG lyric from Don't Let's Start. Coincidence? Tribute? Something else? Any ideas? -- Mitch www.mitcharf.com "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." - Matt Groening ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00eb01c28b4c$19d092b0$0400005a@IBMT1PADZGHKZN> From: "Mitch Harding" Subject: TMBG: Re: Modest Mouse / TMBG Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 13:37:27 -0600 Er, I mean, Rhythm Section Want Ad. But my question remains. -- Mitch www.mitcharf.com "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." - Matt Groening ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mitch Harding" To: Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 1:35 PM Subject: Modest Mouse / TMBG > Maybe this has been discussed already, I'm not sure. I was just listening > to the song "Paper Thin Walls" by Modest Mouse and one of the lyrics is > "Laugh hard it's a long ways to the bank". Very close (ok, identical, other > than the 's' at the end of 'ways') to the TMBG lyric from Don't Let's Start. > Coincidence? Tribute? Something else? Any ideas? > > -- > Mitch > www.mitcharf.com > > "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips > over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." > - Matt Groening > ------------------------------ Message-ID: <1037219802.3dd2b7da74e91@webmail3.namezero.com> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 15:36:42 -0500 From: Bryce Subject: Re: non-TMBG: spam plan at hand I just wrote Leo and apprised him of the apparent consensus. We'll see what he says about whether it's difficult to implement, but in the meanwhile, if you don't like the idea of hearing only from email addresses that are subscribed to the list, now would be a good time to speak up. Bryce ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 18:39:14 -0600 (CST) From: Iiaeaux Alod Subject: Re: non-TMBG: spam plan at hand Message-ID: well... other than spam IS there anyone not on the list that writes? If not, i'm not *really* opposed. unless there's some colassal fee.... but at least for now no one would do that to us. no big long signup sheet please, thats a hell of a hassel on when using Pine as your only email program. to tell the truth, things like the fire hose don't bother me... i find them amusing. one of my friends decided to buy one and try to make a muffin gun with it (although i doubt she got around to it). does someone still have all the really obscure ones? someone should give them to flans after a concert and see if they can write a song about it. it's right up their alley really. --Iiaeaux Alod On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, Bryce wrote: > I just wrote Leo and apprised him of the apparent consensus. We'll see what he > says about whether it's difficult to implement, but in the meanwhile, if you > don't like the idea of hearing only from email addresses that are subscribed to > the list, now would be a good time to speak up. > > Bryce > > -- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <1037237952.3dd2fec0df3f4@webmail2.namezero.com> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 20:39:12 -0500 From: Bryce Subject: Re: non-TMBG: spam plan at hand Iiaeaux Alod : > well... other than spam IS there anyone not on the list > that writes? Not to my knowledge. > If not, i'm not *really* opposed. unless there's some > colassal fee.... Have you any misgivings at all, though? If so, please explain them; I can't see any downside to this. There's no fee, Leo just has to flip a switch on the majordomo, basically. He did say there are two ways to close the list to outsiders: (A) only subscribers to tmbg-list can post to tmbg-list. This is exactly what we've been talking about in here. (B) only subscribers to some other, new list can post to tmbg-list. The new list would be a kind of phantom, no messages would go out from it, it would only be a list of email addresses for the majordomo to compare against incoming posts. The advantage would be that you could receive tmbg-list at one address and post to it from another, for whatever might be worth to anyone.* The disadvantage of this approach is extra administrative overhead; everyone would have to subscribe to the new list if they want to post. I say keep it simple. Vote A. Bryce __________________ *I don't get this. Can anyone explain how this would be useful? ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 22:39:17 -0600 From: Lucas Thompson Subject: RE: non-TMBG: spam plan at hand Message-ID: <3DD3E25F@webgate1.mail.vanderbilt.edu> I vote A -Lucas Thompson >===== Original Message From Bryce ===== >Iiaeaux Alod : >> well... other than spam IS there anyone not on the list >> that writes? > >Not to my knowledge. > >> If not, i'm not *really* opposed. unless there's some >> colassal fee.... > >Have you any misgivings at all, though? If so, please explain them; I can't >see any downside to this. > >There's no fee, Leo just has to flip a switch on the majordomo, basically. He >did say there are two ways to close the list to outsiders: > >(A) only subscribers to tmbg-list can post to tmbg-list. This is exactly what >we've been talking about in here. > >(B) only subscribers to some other, new list can post to tmbg-list. The new >list would be a kind of phantom, no messages would go out from it, it would >only be a list of email addresses for the majordomo to compare against incoming >posts. The advantage would be that you could receive tmbg-list at one address >and post to it from another, for whatever might be worth to anyone.* The >disadvantage of this approach is extra administrative overhead; everyone would >have to subscribe to the new list if they want to post. > >I say keep it simple. Vote A. > >Bryce > > > >__________________ >*I don't get this. Can anyone explain how this would be useful? ------------------------------ From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <1be.143b0ed4.2b04839a@aol.com> Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2002 23:42:02 EST Subject: Re: non-TMBG: spam plan at hand I vote for Fire Hose A! DRW [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #59-13 ******************************