Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #62-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 62, Number 3 Tuesday, 4 February 2003 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "John Ferrer" Subject: Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 10:17:54 -0500 Message-ID: Don't forget Thunderbird, Tumbleweed, and the long-rumored songs that are It's Not a Game and Unreliable Narrator. I doubt Words Are Like will make the cut since it's from that Battle of the Bands project, and would, I assume, sound far too out of place even for a TMBG album. But who knows. Au Contraire will almost definately be on there, since it's their newest song, it's completely amazing, they seem to love it, and they played it at many of their recent shows. As for all the other songs mentioned, I suspect most of them will become rarities forever, as they all existed before Mink Car and weren't released. And when somebody from the newsgroup polled Linnell about the status of several of those songs, he replied rather tersely that Mink Car wasn't an album to give a home to all their "orphan songs." So it doesn't sound like he especially cares for them. But maybe not. Anyone else have some useless speculation? Go for it! >From: Gegatron@aol.com >Reply-To: Gegatron@aol.com >To: Russell.Josephson@st.com, tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon >Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 17:29:22 EST > >It's quiet. too quiet. What the hell are the johns up to? it seems >they're having rare spell of inactivity. Lets play What's Going to be on >the >Next Album....! >I'm guessing they're going to be hitting us soon with the catchy "meat" of >the next album pretty soon, like about four years ago when they premiered >Cyclops Rock, It's So Loud in Here, Edith Head and Thunderbird. >The songs Au Contraire, No Answer, Words are Like and maybe Museum of >Idiots >seem to have a good chance of getting on the next album but they're all >pretty dern slow. >Also where the hell can a bloke find that Darling Allison song? It's >pretty >rad, yet i can't find it anywhere online. _________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 07:33:11 -0800 From: greatbigz@macdialup.com Subject: Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon I would have to speculate that, beyond Au Contraire and No Answer (which, btw are so totally unlike each other I can't imagine why someone posted that they were too similar), any "new" album the Johns do will probably contain a bunch of songs yet to be heard. While I would love to see an all-orphans album at some point, it seems like with Dial-a-Song (the real thing, not the Rhino CD) and MP3s, the music is already out there for most of us who want it. But what a great concept. I'm sure they could come up with some twist on the word "orphans" in the title too. Hey, there's a thread. What songs should They release on the "Orphans" album? Should it include thus far MP3-only stuff? What about things found only on soundtracks? Anything you've heard live that hasn't been released anywhere? PZ At 10:17 AM -0500 2/3/03, John Ferrer wrote: >Don't forget Thunderbird, Tumbleweed, and the long-rumored songs >that are It's Not a Game and Unreliable Narrator. I doubt Words Are >Like will make the cut since it's from that Battle of the Bands >project, and would, I assume, sound far too out of place even for a >TMBG album. But who knows. Au Contraire will almost definately be on >there, since it's their newest song, it's completely amazing, they >seem to love it, and they played it at many of their recent shows. >As for all the other songs mentioned, I suspect most of them will >become rarities forever, as they all existed before Mink Car and >weren't released. And when somebody from the newsgroup polled >Linnell about the status of several of those songs, he replied >rather tersely that Mink Car wasn't an album to give a home to all >their "orphan songs." So it doesn't sound like he especially cares >for them. But maybe not. > >Anyone else have some useless speculation? Go for it! ------------------------------ Subject: Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Message-ID: <1044287334.3e3e8f66346cb@webmail.damek.org> Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 09:48:54 -0600 (CST) From: adam@damek.org Isn't "They Got Lost" already kind of an "orphans" album? No, it didn't have every orphaned song ever on it, and it did have some stuff from the emusic releases, but they weren't "real" releases anyway. It also had "Words Are Like" ... I suppose they could do another "rare and orphaned songs" release, but I'd rather they work on new material. Between "They Got Lost", "Dial-A-Song" (which I'll never buy :P), "No" and "Mink Car", pretty much all the best music from the last few years has been released. I think the dregs are the dregs that wouldn't normally get released anyway, and we were lucky to hear them :P Maybe in another 5 or 6 years as another "Then" type of thing. Though I would like to have Monsters of Mud and Shooting Star - too bad there's no "No" EP. Quoting greatbigz@macdialup.com: > I would have to speculate that, beyond Au Contraire and No Answer > (which, btw are so totally unlike each other I can't imagine why > someone posted that they were too similar), any "new" album the Johns > do will probably contain a bunch of songs yet to be heard. While I > would love to see an all-orphans album at some point, it seems like > with Dial-a-Song (the real thing, not the Rhino CD) and MP3s, the > music is already out there for most of us who want it. But what a > great concept. I'm sure they could come up with some twist on the > word "orphans" in the title too. > Hey, there's a thread. What songs should They release on the "Orphans" > album? > Should it include thus far MP3-only stuff? What about things found > only on soundtracks? Anything you've heard live that hasn't been > released anywhere? > PZ > > > > > At 10:17 AM -0500 2/3/03, John Ferrer wrote: > >Don't forget Thunderbird, Tumbleweed, and the long-rumored songs > >that are It's Not a Game and Unreliable Narrator. I doubt Words Are > >Like will make the cut since it's from that Battle of the Bands > >project, and would, I assume, sound far too out of place even for a > >TMBG album. But who knows. Au Contraire will almost definately be on > >there, since it's their newest song, it's completely amazing, they > >seem to love it, and they played it at many of their recent shows. > >As for all the other songs mentioned, I suspect most of them will > >become rarities forever, as they all existed before Mink Car and > >weren't released. And when somebody from the newsgroup polled > >Linnell about the status of several of those songs, he replied > >rather tersely that Mink Car wasn't an album to give a home to all > >their "orphan songs." So it doesn't sound like he especially cares > >for them. But maybe not. > > > >Anyone else have some useless speculation? Go for it! > ------------------------------ Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 11:21:22 -0500 From: Kaylum@aol.com Subject: Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Message-ID: <6CF2BD5B.6125CBA9.0004C8AF@aol.com> In a message dated 2/3/2003 10:48:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, adam@damek.org writes: > . > > Though I would like to have Monsters of Mud and Shooting > Star - too bad there's > no "No" EP. The sad thing is, there *is* a No ep in existance, with "Clowntown" and "Monsters of Mud" on it, but apparently it was never released and is extrememly rare. The only mentions of it I've read about (on the newsgroup) are when it was sold at one or two shows before the record company pulled it, and when Flans gave one to a lady who had to remove her kid from the front row at a show (for fear of the kid getting crushed). I wish they could at least sell it through their site. As for "Shooting Star," they have said it was too expensive to acquire the rights (from the same guy who wrote "Why Does the Sun Shine,"), which makes me wonder how they were able to release it at all through emusic. Kay ------------------------------ Message-ID: <004801c2cbab$ef8656c0$073b8d41@0021434253> From: "Miranda Phifer" Subject: Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 12:44:33 -0500 i was at a show when Flans gave two kids an ep! it was crazy...the managers refused to start the show until this mother, father, and their two kids moved out of the way (it was very crowded, and both kids were under 10, it seemed...they would have been trampled). the mom refused...and the kids looked so sad. then the next thing i kno, the manager comes back and says both Flans and Linnell are waiting for them backstage to say sorry, give them some autographs, chat, etc... so i thought that was really sweet. and you could tell it made Linnell's night, having met those kids!!! he was smiling from ear to ear the whole show! ah, memories!! (well, that was only last march) later, miranda ----- Original Message ----- From: To: Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 11:21 AM Subject: Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon > In a message dated 2/3/2003 10:48:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, adam@damek.org writes: > > > . > > > > Though I would like to have Monsters of Mud and Shooting > > Star - too bad there's > > no "No" EP. > > > The sad thing is, there *is* a No ep in existance, with "Clowntown" and "Monsters of Mud" on it, but apparently it was never released and is extrememly rare. The only mentions of it I've read about (on the newsgroup) are when it was sold at one or two shows before the record company pulled it, and when Flans gave one to a lady who had to remove her kid from the front row at a show (for fear of the kid getting crushed). I wish they could at least sell it through their site. > > As for "Shooting Star," they have said it was too expensive to acquire the rights (from the same guy who wrote "Why Does the Sun Shine,"), which makes me wonder how they were able to release it at all through emusic. > > Kay > ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 17:54:04 +0000 Message-ID: John Ferrer: >As for all the other songs mentioned, I suspect most of them will become >rarities forever, as they all existed before Mink Car and weren't released. While most of the songs on the next album probably won't be pre-Mink Car ones, I wouldn't put it past them to include one or two. Most TMBG albums include a few old songs. To give an obvious example, Older was a pre-Factory Showroom song, and it's hardly an "orphan" now. PZ: >I would have to speculate that, beyond Au Contraire and No Answer (which, >btw are so totally unlike each other I can't imagine why someone posted >that they were too similar) Well, they're nowhere near as similar as No Answer and Certain People I Could Name, but all three of those songs have the same format: three verses telling apparently unrelated yet somehow similar stories, with a repeating chorus to tie it all together. Turn Around is like this as well. >But what a great concept. I'm sure they could come up with some twist on >the word "orphans" in the title too. Insect Orphanage? Adam: >Isn't "They Got Lost" already kind of an "orphans" album? No, it didn't >have >every orphaned song ever on it, and it did have some stuff from the emusic >releases, but they weren't "real" releases anyway. It was pretty much ALL stuff from the eMusic releases, actually. Every song on there had been previously released in some form or other. >Though I would like to have Monsters of Mud and Shooting Star - too bad >there's >no "No" EP. Wasn't there supposed to be? I guess the idea fell through, and it's really too late for there to be one now. For that matter, there was never a Mink Car EP outside Australia, and that one was mostly just material recycled from the Working Undercover For The Man EP. Kaylum: >The sad thing is, there *is* a No ep in existance, with "Clowntown" and >"Monsters of Mud" on it, but apparently it was never released and is >extrememly rare. Wasn't that a promo sampler, rather than a proper EP? Nathan _________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus ------------------------------ From: Gegatron@aol.com Message-ID: <3e.2b68399d.2b703b03@aol.com> Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:37:07 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon the only reason i think words are like will be on the next album is because somewhere i saw they labled it as a demo. Of course that's what they said about finished with lies, and they only added a flange to the keyboard solo and a slight echo at the end. i think it sounds enough like their other stuff to get on an album. I mean Unrelated Thing made it onto john henry. ------------------------------ From: HallOfEyes@aol.com Message-ID: <61.2d10c7d0.2b703d21@aol.com> Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 16:46:09 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon In a message dated 2/3/2003 1:39:47 PM Pacific Standard Time, Gegatron@aol.com writes: > the only reason i think words are like will be on the next album is because > somewhere i saw they labled it as a demo. I think they only labeled it as a "demo" to add a nice detail to the recording to make it more realistic as another bands actual song. I forget which one but i remember another one of those fake band songs were suppossed to be a b-side... same kind of detail. Jordan [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (multipart/alternative)] ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: taint much goin on i a reckon Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2003 22:56:04 +0000 Message-ID: Gegatron: >the only reason i think words are like will be on the next album is because >somewhere i saw they labled it as a demo. Of course that's what they said >about finished with lies, and they only added a flange to the keyboard solo >and a slight echo at the end. i think it sounds enough like their other >stuff to get on an album. I mean Unrelated Thing made it onto john henry. I wouldn't say it doesn't necessarily belong on a TMBG album, but its presence on a regular album means a Battle of the Bands CD is less likely, and I'm still hoping for one. Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #62-3 *****************************