Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #63-3 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 63, Number 3 Thursday, 20 March 2003 Today's Topics: Re: Non-TMBG: E-Music Re: TMBG: Lupo's Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music TMBG: Pink Floyd & TMBG RE: TMBG: Pink Floyd & TMBG RE: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music TMBG: Accordian Rocks Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music RE: TMBG: Accordion Rocks RE: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Re: TMBG: Pink Floyd & TMBG RE: TMBG: Accordion Rocks Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks TMBG: Joshua Fried Re: TMBG: Joshua Fried Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music TMBG: Re: Joshua Fried Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: E-Music Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 00:14:26 -0700 Message-ID: I stuck with EMusic for a short while after the initial 1 year subscription ended, but then I was having issues with my computer not liking it (probably conflicts with other programs) and I couldn't get my EMusic player to recognize any of the music (mostly the length of songs didn't register, and without that, it wouldn't play them). So sadly I left eMusic because I could no longer hear the music I downloaded. Besides TMBG I downloaded a lot of other fine music, such as MU330 (a ska band I discovered while spending the summer before my wedding up in Jackson Hole, WY when they opened for a local SLC ska band that I love, Insatiable), Tiffany's comeback album (don't laugh-it is actually pretty good), Camper van Beethoven and some Various Artist compilations. Jen >From: GreatBigZ@macdialup.com >Reply-To: GreatBigZ@macdialup.com >To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org >Subject: Non-TMBG: E-Music >Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:45:03 -0800 > >Hey, since the list is semi-active again, is anyone besides me still an >emusic subscriber? I have to say I didn't think I'd stick around this long >(really only signed up for TMBG Unltd), but I keep finding amazing stuff >like the first 3 Camper Van Beethoven albums, Rainer Maria (!), >unbelievable quantities of Thelonius Monk and Coltrane, Cal Tjader, Lisa >Germano, I could go on and on (I kinda already have). I do wish TMBG would >release some more "rarities" through emusic, but I'm pretty happy spending >my ten bucks a month right now. Am I the only one? > >PZ _________________________________________________________________ Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963 ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20030319083653.55975.qmail@iname.com> From: "Shane Gasteyer" Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 03:36:53 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Lupo's I don't know if someone already answered this question, as I've gotten a little behind on the list... but I went and saw TMBG at Lupo's years ago, when I was still a minor, and that was cool. I think generally it's ok there, but you should probably check their website or give them a call to make sure. Incidentally, I might go to that show if I can make it. peace, ~shane * ------------------------------------- From: TomatoThief@aol.com Message-ID: <139.1bef7619.2b92d1b8@aol.com> Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 22:17:12 EST Subject: TMBG: Lupo's Hi Guys. I realize the list has been rather dead as of late, but I'm hoping some of you are alive. The only local concerts TMBG has in my area is at Lupo's and I have a small problem. I'm a minor. I just need to know if they do allow minors there or if it's a waste of my time. If not, I really hope the Johns plan on playing for another six years so I can actually see them. -Kels -- __________________________________________________________ Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup ------------------------------ From: "Justin McElroy" Subject: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:34:30 -0500 Message-ID: Hi all, Well, it's nice to see a little conversation on the list, I've missed you all. I am on a quest for new artists to add to my collection, I haven't started listening to anyone new in a while. Some of my favorite artists are ones I discovered on the fine reccomendation of you people. So I was just wondering if we could start a little thread about new people you may be listening to, or maybe older ones you've recently discovered that you think maybe TMBG fans might have an interest in. I know for my part I've recently been listening to Ben Kweller's "Sha Sha", but I'm apparently the last person to hop on that bus so I don't know if that will be of much help. He writes just really solid rock pop songs, nothing to serious, just little ruminations on the nature of love. Fountains of Wayne is another band that I think TMBG fans might like that I've recently picked up. Both of thier albums ("Utopia Parkway" and self-titled) are really solid. Ok, there's mine. I've also (of course) been listening to the usual Elvis Costello, Ben Folds, and Moxy Fruvous (if you haven't checked any of those out you should rectify that post-haste.) It would seem I've blabbed on enough, but I'd love to hear from anybody else who has some recommendations. Maybe the conversation will tide us over until we have something TMBG to chew on. Love, Justin _________________________________________________________________ STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail ------------------------------ Subject: TMBG: Pink Floyd & TMBG Message-ID: From: "Erik J. Chuss" Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:39:26 -0500 Are there any other Pink Floyd fans out there? The PF fans I know do not like TMBG at all but I guess I was just wondering if TMBG are PF fans as well. * ---------------------------------------- From: Chris Nuccitelli Subject: Re: TMBG: ... Quoting Jason Sigala : >> Hello?... Hello? >> Is there anybody *in* there? >> Just nod if you can hear me. >> Is there anyone at home? >Come on, now. >I hear you're feeling down. >Well I can ease your pain, >Get you on your feet again. ------------------------------ From: "augiewan" Subject: RE: TMBG: Pink Floyd & TMBG Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:41:07 -0500 Message-ID: I like PF, though I'm no obsessed fan or anything. They have a good solid backlog of music, but their stuff since Roger Waters "left" has been pretty lame. My favorite album of theirs though is actually Relics, which is one very few people I know have. It's pre-Roger waters when Syd Barret was still writing and singing. That album as a whole would seem to appeal to TMBG fan more than any other, IMHO... augiewan -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Erik J. Chuss Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 8:39 AM To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Pink Floyd & TMBG Are there any other Pink Floyd fans out there? The PF fans I know do not like TMBG at all but I guess I was just wondering if TMBG are PF fans as well. * ---------------------------------------- From: Chris Nuccitelli Subject: Re: TMBG: ... Quoting Jason Sigala : >> Hello?... Hello? >> Is there anybody *in* there? >> Just nod if you can hear me. >> Is there anyone at home? >Come on, now. >I hear you're feeling down. >Well I can ease your pain, >Get you on your feet again. ------------------------------ From: "augiewan" Subject: RE: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:42:21 -0500 Message-ID: I've been listening to a lot of Rufus Wainright recently. He has 2 very excellent albums out as well as some various soundtrack work out there... Also been getting back in to Kate Bush and Tori Amos after not listening to them for years. Besides that, lots of loungy instrumental stuff.. :) augiewan -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of Justin McElroy Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 8:35 AM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Hi all, Well, it's nice to see a little conversation on the list, I've missed you all. I am on a quest for new artists to add to my collection, I haven't started listening to anyone new in a while. Some of my favorite artists are ones I discovered on the fine reccomendation of you people. So I was just wondering if we could start a little thread about new people you may be listening to, or maybe older ones you've recently discovered that you think maybe TMBG fans might have an interest in. I know for my part I've recently been listening to Ben Kweller's "Sha Sha", but I'm apparently the last person to hop on that bus so I don't know if that will be of much help. He writes just really solid rock pop songs, nothing to serious, just little ruminations on the nature of love. Fountains of Wayne is another band that I think TMBG fans might like that I've recently picked up. Both of thier albums ("Utopia Parkway" and self-titled) are really solid. Ok, there's mine. I've also (of course) been listening to the usual Elvis Costello, Ben Folds, and Moxy Fruvous (if you haven't checked any of those out you should rectify that post-haste.) It would seem I've blabbed on enough, but I'd love to hear from anybody else who has some recommendations. Maybe the conversation will tide us over until we have something TMBG to chew on. Love, Justin _________________________________________________________________ STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail ------------------------------ From: "C Hubley" Subject: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:50:52 +0000 Message-ID: Hey, I was wondering if I could ask fro some advice from you lovely people. A few months ago I bought myself an accordian, mainly due to a sudden TMBG addiction, but it was something i'd been thinking about for a while. I think it is extreamly cool and I really love it. However my friend really isn't convinced about the credentials of this glorious instrument. I have therefore decided to make him an "Accordian Rocks" CD to prove that they are cool. However i don't ectually know of any bands apart from TMBG who use them in a cool way (Not that there's anything wrong wiht folk, it's just not what I'm looking for). If you could suggest some bands I could download for this I would be eternally greatfull. Laters! Chris _________________________________________________________________ Chat online in real time with MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.co.uk ------------------------------ From: "Patty Castillo" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:02:41 -0500 Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: "Patty Castillo" Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:18:09 -0500 Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: "Rox Inabox" Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:32:20 -0500 Message-ID: Flogging Molly "The Worst Day Since Yesterday" [www.steeltoed.com] | [aim: idontleadthehams] ["Before you crawl you have to learn to fall. You can't see heaven when you're standing tall. To get the whole sky, on the ground you have to lie." -They Might Be Giants; "Thunderbird"] _________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00c101c2ee2d$b99405e0$2d3091d0@consolidate.internal.maxweb.com> From: "Colleen McClanahan" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:39:27 -0500 I tried sending this once before.... let's see if it goes through this time. :) Justin McElroy: | Well, it's nice to see a little conversation on the list, I've missed you | all. | | I am on a quest for new artists to add to my collection, I haven't started | listening to anyone new in a while. Some of my favorite artists are ones I | discovered on the fine reccomendation of you people. Many of the artists I love also come from recommendations spurned from various mailing lists. Here is some stuff other than TMBG that I like alot (with websites) Ani Difranco www.righteousbabe.com/ani/ Tori Amos www.toriamos.com Ben Folds (+/- Five) www.benfolds.com Counting Crows www.countingcrows.com Barenaked Ladies www.bnlmusic.com Moxy Fruvous www.fruvous.com Fountains of Wayne www.fountainsofwayne.com Some more obscure bands: The Push Stars www.pushstars.com A really great popppy band. If you like Fountains of Wayne, this might be your kind of stuff. Cracker www.crackersoul.com They had a few hits in the early-mid 90's, but they're far from dead. Their last album was great, and they put on a really neat live show. Great Big Sea www.greatbigsea.com A Canadian band that does a mix between rock and traditional Celtic music. They make me feel more Irish than I am. Jill Sobule www.jillsobule.com Yeah, she kissed a girl, but she has a bunch of other albums. She's a great songwriter. The Nields www.nields.com Kinda folky, kinda rocky. Two sisters and their band (most of the time) Carbon Leaf www.carbonleaf.com (get free mp3s off of their site and off of their mp3.com site) I discovered this band a few weeks ago when they were opening for Great Big Sea. It's Celtically delicious, with a splash of B52s. Dar Williams www.darwilliams.com , Erin McKeown www.erinmckeown.com , Sarah Harmer www.sarahharmer.com These three artists aren't a group, but they have the folk-rock mix down in similar quantities. If you like one of them, you'll probably like the other two. DaVinci's Notebook www.davincisnotebook.com They've filled the hole in my heart left by the Moxy Fruvous hiatus. Mostly a capella, and a great live show. They're really funny onstage, and their music is the kind where you always understand the lyrics. Arrogant Worms www.arrogant-worms.com Another Canadian group. Really funny stuff. Rasputina www.rasputina.com Goth chicks playing cello. Very unusual. Ok, I could go on, but I think I'll stop, or I'll spend all day doing this. Enjoy! Colleen Anne ------------------------------ Message-ID: <003301c2ee32$c5302f00$3fde2909@IBMT1PADZGHKZN> From: "Mitch Harding" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:15:31 -0600 Ok, time for my list of favorite non-TMBG artists... XTC Dan Bern Belle & Sebastian Talking Heads David Byrne Moxy Fruvous Pixies Frank Black Magnetic Fields Old 97s Rancid Ramones Violent Femmes Belly Red Elvises Atom & His Package Cake The Cramps Dead Milkmen Devo Brian Dewan Less Than Jake Radiohead Mighty Mighty Bosstones I know I'm forgetting a whole bunch of my favorites. There are just too many. If I wasn't at work I'd attempt to write a short blurb about them all. Bah. -- Mitch www.mitcharf.com "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come." - Matt Groening ----- Original Message ----- From: "Colleen McClanahan" To: Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 9:39 AM Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music > I tried sending this once before.... let's see if it goes through this time. > :) > > Justin McElroy: > | Well, it's nice to see a little conversation on the list, I've missed you > | all. > | > | I am on a quest for new artists to add to my collection, I haven't started > | listening to anyone new in a while. Some of my favorite artists are ones > I > | discovered on the fine reccomendation of you people. > > Many of the artists I love also come from recommendations spurned from > various mailing lists. Here is some stuff other than TMBG that I like alot > (with websites) > Ani Difranco www.righteousbabe.com/ani/ > Tori Amos www.toriamos.com > Ben Folds (+/- Five) www.benfolds.com > Counting Crows www.countingcrows.com > Barenaked Ladies www.bnlmusic.com > Moxy Fruvous www.fruvous.com > Fountains of Wayne www.fountainsofwayne.com > > Some more obscure bands: > The Push Stars www.pushstars.com > A really great popppy band. If you like Fountains of Wayne, this might be > your kind of stuff. > Cracker www.crackersoul.com > They had a few hits in the early-mid 90's, but they're far from dead. Their > last album was great, and they put on a really neat live show. > Great Big Sea www.greatbigsea.com > A Canadian band that does a mix between rock and traditional Celtic music. > They make me feel more Irish than I am. > Jill Sobule www.jillsobule.com > Yeah, she kissed a girl, but she has a bunch of other albums. She's a great > songwriter. > The Nields www.nields.com > Kinda folky, kinda rocky. Two sisters and their band (most of the time) > Carbon Leaf www.carbonleaf.com (get free mp3s off of their site and off of > their mp3.com site) > I discovered this band a few weeks ago when they were opening for Great Big > Sea. It's Celtically delicious, with a splash of B52s. > Dar Williams www.darwilliams.com , Erin McKeown www.erinmckeown.com , Sarah > Harmer www.sarahharmer.com > These three artists aren't a group, but they have the folk-rock mix down in > similar quantities. If you like one of them, you'll probably like the other > two. > DaVinci's Notebook www.davincisnotebook.com > They've filled the hole in my heart left by the Moxy Fruvous hiatus. Mostly > a capella, and a great live show. They're really funny onstage, and their > music is the kind where you always understand the lyrics. > Arrogant Worms www.arrogant-worms.com > Another Canadian group. Really funny stuff. > Rasputina www.rasputina.com > Goth chicks playing cello. Very unusual. > > Ok, I could go on, but I think I'll stop, or I'll spend all day doing this. > > Enjoy! > > Colleen Anne > > ------------------------------ From: "augiewan" Subject: RE: TMBG: Accordion Rocks Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:29:04 -0500 Message-ID: The Pogues, Flogging Molly, Tom Waits, The Nelnories, and Weird Al,! Accordions Rule!!!! :) augiewan -----Original Message----- From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On Behalf Of C Hubley Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 9:51 AM To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Subject: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Hey, I was wondering if I could ask fro some advice from you lovely people. A few months ago I bought myself an accordian, mainly due to a sudden TMBG addiction, but it was something i'd been thinking about for a while. I think it is extreamly cool and I really love it. However my friend really isn't convinced about the credentials of this glorious instrument. I have therefore decided to make him an "Accordian Rocks" CD to prove that they are cool. However i don't ectually know of any bands apart from TMBG who use them in a cool way (Not that there's anything wrong wiht folk, it's just not what I'm looking for). If you could suggest some bands I could download for this I would be eternally greatfull. Laters! Chris _________________________________________________________________ Chat online in real time with MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.co.uk ------------------------------ From: "augiewan" Subject: RE: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:40:10 -0500 Message-ID: I'll be lazy and just comment on other's lists... :) From Mitch (with my comments): XTC - Love em! (If you've never heard their "Dukes of Stratosphere" project, you must!!) Dan Bern - Never heard of em... :( Belle & Sebastian - Great mellow stuff Talking Heads - Brilliant David Byrne - Not as fond of his solo stuff, but still good... Moxy Fruvous - Have not been able to really get in to them, hmmmm... Pixies - Love these guys and wish Frank and Kim would get over their differences and get back together, they are good on their own, they were brilliant together... Frank Black - as I said above... Magnetic Fields - Never heard of em... :( Old 97s - Saw them on Letterman and liked them, haven't looked any further... Rancid - Good stuff, but I get tired of them quickly... Ramones - Classic! :) Beat on the Brat being covered by U2 is a felony!!! (recent tribute album) Violent Femmes - Ah, good memories... Excellent early albums, very thin pickings during the past decade... :( Belly - Saw them live on my honeymoon shortly after Star was released, Awesome! Second album blew chunks all over the place... :( Red Elvises - Never heard of em... :( Atom & His Package - Never heard of em... :( Cake - Fashion Nugget was da bomb! What happened after that???? The Cramps - Good ol punk... :) Dead Milkmen - Great "fun punk"... :) Devo - One of my all-time Faves!!! I'm a spud-head!!!! Brian Dewan - Great stuff, need to find more... 99 cops, sitting in a tree.... Less Than Jake - I'll be nice and not comment... Radiohead - Saw them open for Belly. I laughed a lot, don't remember actually enjoying any of it... :( Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Great great stuff... :) Well, that was fun... Sorry if I offended anyone... augiewan ------------------------------ Message-ID: <00e701c2ee36$2ea93140$2d3091d0@consolidate.internal.maxweb.com> From: "Colleen McClanahan" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:39:59 -0500 augiewan: | I'll be lazy and just comment on other's lists... :) | | >From Mitch (with my comments): | Dan Bern - Never heard of em... :( A modern-day Bob Dylan type. He's pretty witty, and his stuff is provoking. His voice is a bit whiny, but that's ok. | Moxy Fruvous - Have not been able to really get in to them, hmmmm... It took seeing them live for me to really respect what they do. However, since they're on hiatus, no touring. :( | Violent Femmes - Ah, good memories... Excellent early albums, very thin | pickings during the past decade... :( Has anyone else heard "Please Do Not Go" used in the cell phone commercial? Is that blasphemy? | Cake - Fashion Nugget was da bomb! What happened after that???? I like their other stuff ok, but after seeing them live, I'm convinced the lead singer is obsessed with himself. hehe. Colleen Anne ------------------------------ Message-ID: <008301c2ee36$f073c9c0$6501a8c0@marcus> From: "Marcus Brannon" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 11:44:37 -0500 Definitely check out Pinataland (www.pinataland.com) and Sean Altman (www.seanaltman.com) -Marcus ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Pink Floyd & TMBG Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:57:38 +0000 Message-ID: Erik J. Chuss: >Are there any other Pink Floyd fans out there? The PF fans I know do not >like TMBG at all but I guess I was just wondering if TMBG are PF fans as >well. I seem to recall reading that Linnell used to like Pink Floyd, but doesn't anymore. I could be misremembering this, though. Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: RE: TMBG: Accordion Rocks Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:05:53 +0000 Message-ID: AugieWan: >The Pogues, Flogging Molly, Tom Waits, The Nelnories, and Weird Al,! To this, you might want to add: Hypnotic Clambake A few Young Fresh Fellows songs ("That Letter," "and "Back Room Of The Bar," and possibly a few others I've forgotten) "Interlude," from Camper Van Beethoven's Key Lime Pie album (That MIGHT be synthesized; I don't recall an accordion player being credited. They DID use accordion on a few songs when I saw them live, though.) Brian Dewan >Accordions Rule!!!! :) But replying at the top and quoting at the bottom doesn't! :P Nathan >-----Original Message----- >From: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org [mailto:owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org]On >Behalf Of C Hubley >Sent: Wednesday, March 19, 2003 9:51 AM >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: TMBG: Accordian Rocks > > > >Hey, I was wondering if I could ask fro some advice from you lovely people. >A few months ago I bought myself an accordian, mainly due to a sudden TMBG >addiction, but it was something i'd been thinking about for a while. I >think >it is extreamly cool and I really love it. However my friend really isn't >convinced about the credentials of this glorious instrument. I have >therefore decided to make him an "Accordian Rocks" CD to prove that they >are >cool. However i don't ectually know of any bands apart from TMBG who use >them in a cool way (Not that there's anything wrong wiht folk, it's just >not >what I'm looking for). If you could suggest some bands I could download for >this I would be eternally greatfull. >Laters! >Chris > > > > >_________________________________________________________________ >Chat online in real time with MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.co.uk > > _________________________________________________________________ Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963 ------------------------------ From: "john m" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:50:10 -0500 Message-ID: Matthew Good Band (and Matt's solo stuff) - What rock should be. Yoko Kanno & Seatbelts - The composer and band behind the music to Cowboy Bebop (and Wolf's Rain, now). Fantastic. The Pillows - Very, very good J-Rock band. The Police - ...if you don't know who they are, just stop listening to music, period. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - One of the most important groups in the third-wave ska movement. By seamlessly meshing ska, punk, and hardcore, these guys invented skacore, and made some damn good albums in the process. If you've only heard The Impression That I Get, you're missing out on a lot. Beck - Each album holds a special (/different) place in my heart. OKGO - You've probably heard about them quite a bit through TMBG fans, but honestly: Their album is -really- good, and their live show is even better. Candy Butchers - Above all else, beautiful songwriting. Doesn't hurt to have three good musicians, either. MC Frontalot - Self-proclaimed "nerdcore hiphop." It's like rap, except instead of rapping about how much money he has or how he wants to sex you up, he raps about Star Wars conventions or Penny Arcade or something. (Incidentally, the track "Nerdcore Hiphop" happens to have a sample from Shoehorn With Teeth.) For starters, I recommend "Which MC Was That?" at http://frontalot.com/music.html State Shirt - Indie rock that's already proven to be better than anything on the airwaves. http://stateshirt.net add music - http://www.actdead.com Frankie Big Face - http://www.frankiebigface.com Drew - Yes, the same Drew of http://drew.corrupt.net / http://www.toothpastefordinner.com fame. He writes music, too, and it's just what you'd expect from someone that draws those types of pictures and rants as he does. Quirky, indie, but highly catchy and enjoyable. ...there's more, but this is already a great deal of music you're not going to check out, so I'll stop here. -john | official alt.music.tmbg dude -know anyone at the end of the list?: IM 'tmbgtrigger' ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.2.0.9.0.20030319155800.00b1ced0@pop.runbox.com> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:00:04 -0500 From: jessie Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks At 02:50 PM 3/19/2003 +0000, C Hubley wrote: > However i don't ectually know of any bands apart from TMBG who use them > in a cool way (Not that there's anything wrong wiht folk, it's just not > what I'm looking for). If you could suggest some bands I could download > for this I would be eternally greatfull. Dead Milkmen - "Punk Rock Girl" Moxy Fruvous uses them in some songs, I can't tell you off the top of my head which. I think Flogging Molly uses accordions in a few songs... I know so many more...I can't think of them at the moment. I bet I'll remember. ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.2.0.9.0.20030319160957.00b54858@pop.runbox.com> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:20:12 -0500 From: jessie Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:32:25 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Message-ID: <20030319.133225.-1594021.0.Garrett27@juno.com> From: garrett27@juno.com As augiewan said, certainly The Pogues and Weird Al. In addition: Rufus Wainwright - occasionally uses David Byrne (of Talking Heads) - occasionally uses Aimee Mann (check Magnolia soundtrack) - occasionally uses Yann Tiersen (composed soundtrack for Amelie) - uses almost all the time Elakelaiset (Finnish band) - uses almost all the time Oingo Boingo - occasionally uses The Beatles - occasionally use ________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com ------------------------------ Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 13:34:34 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Message-ID: <20030319.133435.-1594021.1.Garrett27@juno.com> From: garrett27@juno.com John Linnell and the Statesmen!! ;-) ________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 21:44:12 +0000 Message-ID: Garrett: >David Byrne (of Talking Heads) - occasionally uses The Talking Heads' "Road To Nowhere" has an accordion part. >The Beatles - occasionally use What Beatles songs use accordion? Nathan _________________________________________________________________ Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection with MSN 8. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail ------------------------------ From: "Patty Castillo" Subject: TMBG: Joshua Fried Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:55:24 -0500 Message-ID: [Unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html), contents not processed] ------------------------------ From: Kaylum@aol.com Message-ID: Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:00:24 EST Subject: Re: TMBG: Joshua Fried I think you're right and it is called Headphone Follies, but I'm not 100% sure...can anyone else confirm? Kay [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (multipart/alternative)] ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:25:13 -0700 Message-ID: Lately I have been listening to Frou Frou, Lamya and the usual Howard Jones and TMBG. Frou Frou is OK, though I have to be in the mood for them. I really like this Lamya chick though. Last week I won a pair of tickets in a random drawing a local radio station had to see Macy Gray. I'm no big fan of Macy Gray or anything, but she was actually pretty good live. I was way more impressed with her opening act though-a woman named Lamya. She has classical training in opera and classical music (kinda like Pat Benatar does)but has a more pop oriented sound. I really liked her stuff. You can listen to samples, read her bio, and buy her Cd all on her website, http://www.lamya.com If you like the more mellow stuff, maybe you guys will like it (very different from TMBG, but that's OK-there's a lot of music that I really enjoy that is very different from TMBG-TMBG is in a class of their own! (But definitely not that Q-word) Jen >From: "Justin McElroy" >Reply-To: "Justin McElroy" >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music >Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 08:34:30 -0500 > >Hi all, > >Well, it's nice to see a little conversation on the list, I've missed you >all. > >I am on a quest for new artists to add to my collection, I haven't started >listening to anyone new in a while. Some of my favorite artists are ones I >discovered on the fine reccomendation of you people. > >So I was just wondering if we could start a little thread about new people >you may be listening to, or maybe older ones you've recently discovered >that you think maybe TMBG fans might have an interest in. I know for my >part I've recently been listening to Ben Kweller's "Sha Sha", but I'm >apparently the last person to hop on that bus so I don't know if that will >be of much help. He writes just really solid rock pop songs, nothing to >serious, just little ruminations on the nature of love. > >Fountains of Wayne is another band that I think TMBG fans might like that >I've recently picked up. Both of thier albums ("Utopia Parkway" and >self-titled) are really solid. > >Ok, there's mine. I've also (of course) been listening to the usual Elvis >Costello, Ben Folds, and Moxy Fruvous (if you haven't checked any of those >out you should rectify that post-haste.) > >It would seem I've blabbed on enough, but I'd love to hear from anybody >else who has some recommendations. Maybe the conversation will tide us >over until we have something TMBG to chew on. > > >Love, > >Justin > > > > > > > > >_________________________________________________________________ >STOP MORE SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* >http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail > _________________________________________________________________ Add photos to your e-mail with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail ------------------------------ From: "john m" Subject: TMBG: Re: Joshua Fried Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 21:33:54 -0500 Message-ID: It's "Radio Wonderland." I have his emails to the list saved, like everything else. -john | official alt.music.tmbg dude -another morning?: IM 'tmbgtrigger' [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] Hmmm.... Definately OKGo. Tom Lehrer (who doesn't love morbid music?) Green Day Interruption... there was a song called "I See Sound" by Moth on my local alternative station for a while... has anyone bought their album or know anything else about them? I really liked that song but didn't want to put out the money for a CD... Oh and same thing with "Frontier Psychiatrist" by The Avalanches... that one was weird, I heard it once and the DJ said it was the first time he was playing the song and I haven't heard it ever since... Chumbawamba Ben Folds Weezer (of course) Interruption 2... I am helping set up the Day of Silence this year and my school is having a "Silent Party" for the participants, so I was wondering if anyone knows any songs / groups that base their lyrics around homosexuality... right now Pink Triangle is the only song on the list... And what about Blind Melon? I like "No Rain"... does the rest of their stuff sound like that? Alright I give up on the list. I listen to a lot of local stuff that even I have trouble finding so I won't even bother to list them. Unrelated thing... does anyone know how old the Johns are? 40 what? --Iiaeaux Alod On Mar 19, 2003 at 7:05pm alyeditrix@aol.com brought forth from outside The...: > Ok, this sounds like fun. > > Mine would be: > > (You Were) Spiraling > XTC > Bon Jovi > OK GO > All American Rejects > Everescence > Cake > The Smiths > The Shins > Wilco > > There are more, but these are my loves off the top of my head > > aly > -- From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Mar 20 01:30:48 2003 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.12.8/8.12.8) id h2K6UmaX062453 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Mar 2003 01:30:48 -0500 (EST) Received: from m02.lax.untd.com (m02.lax.untd.com [64.136.30.65]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.12.8/8.12.8) with SMTP id h2K6UmKm062446 for ; Thu, 20 Mar 2003 01:30:48 -0500 (EST) Received: from cookie.juno.com by cookie.juno.com for <"FaRWUyoF5LEnJI9JRj2QIqqobSclq3+hc5U1FnBC5+ii/26/6KONnQ==">; Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:30:35 PST Received: (from garrett27@juno.com) by m02.lax.untd.com (jqueuemail) id HTPQZQXW; Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:30:35 PST To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:29:41 -0800 Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Message-ID: <20030319.222942.-1519869.0.Garrett27@juno.com> X-Mailer: Juno 5.0.33 MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit X-Juno-Line-Breaks: 0-3,5-11 From: garrett27@juno.com Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: garrett27@juno.com > What Beatles songs use accordion? > > Nathan Here are the only ones that I can come up with now... there might be some more... so I guess they didn't really use it much, but some nonetheless. Being For The Benefit of Mr. Kite Cry Baby Cry Rocky Raccooon -Garrett ________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #63-3 *****************************