Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #63-4 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 63, Number 4 Friday, 21 March 2003 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Favorite Music TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #63-3 Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and misattribution Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and misattribution TMBG: bands.... Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music TMBG: Re: Accordions Rock Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Subject: TMBG: Re: Favorite Music Message-ID: From: "Erik J. Chuss" Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:43:08 -0500 >>Cake - Fashion Nugget was da bomb! What happened after that???? >>I like their other stuff ok, but after seeing them live, I'm convinced the >>lead singer is obsessed with himself. hehe. Cake's - Comfort Eagle is one of the best CDs I've heard lately. I am in definite trouble of overplaying it. I kind of have two catagories of music I listen to. One is stuff that I am checking out and keep an open mind on. The other is stuff I like and want to hear again. Of all the new stuff I have been listening to so far I like Travis, and Brother. Of the stuff I want to hear again and like its Marcy Playground, Beatles, Chumbawumba, U2, 10cc, XTC. "Mink Car" and "They Got Lost" are also in that mix. The more I listen to them the more I like them. MC has a few definite sleepers in there. TGL is great. As for accordian music, IMHO the best CD for it (besides TMBG - of course) is Paul Simon's Graceland. I have always thought that Subliminal kind of "steals" from "Boy in the Bubble" with the accordian intro. I think J&J might have acknowledged that they do sound very simliar at one point or another. Pop in one CD and listen to the first few bars and then pop in the other and you'd see what I mean. E "Unimportant and hard to see" ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20030320155938.65110.qmail@web41403.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:59:38 -0800 (PST) From: Jeremy Owen Subject: TMBG: Re: tmbg-list Digest #63-3 Hello all... I'm new to the list so I thought I'd say hi. I've been a TMBG fan for a while (since the cartoon videos on Tiny Toon Adventures aired and made me go "Who's THAT?!") Here's a list of other bands/muscians I think that other TMBG fans might like: -- Five Iron Frenzy www.fiveironfrenzy.com -- Tom Waitts -- Truck http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/84/truckrock.html Doug Tennapel's Band (the guy who did Neverwhere and Earthworm Jim games... www.tennapel.com) -- Neil And Sky http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/478/neil__sky.html I wnet to College with these guys... we were in many shows together -- Luxo Champ http://www.hoppers13.com/rondelles/audio.html It's good someone mentiond Moxy Frovous... theyve got some good stuff... and in addition to actually covering "shoehorn with teeth", their music is constantly mistaken for TMBG's on the net. every time I see their rendition of "Spider-Man" downloadable as a TMBG song on KaZaA I wanna smack someone. anyhoo... I'm totally psyched up for "Gigantic" to hit my town (whenever/if ever it does)... I keep watching the listings at the Landmark Theaters. Is anyone else on this list from colorado? also... does anyone know if those B-Side albums that TMBG released on E-Music are still up (the untitled month albums)... I would really like do download them. if not does anyonethink they could burn me the MP3's? I'd totally pay for shipping and a CD. __________________________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your desktop! http://platinum.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and misattribution Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:50:26 +0000 Message-ID: jessie: >At 02:50 PM 3/19/2003 +0000, C Hubley wrote: >> However i don't ectually know of any bands apart from TMBG who use them >>in a cool way (Not that there's anything wrong wiht folk, it's just not >>what I'm looking for). If you could suggest some bands I could download >>for this I would be eternally greatfull. > >Dead Milkmen - "Punk Rock Girl" >Moxy Fruvous uses them in some songs, I can't tell you off the top of my >head which. Quite a few, especially in their earlier songs. If you were going to choose just one Fruvous song for the compilation, I would go with "BJ Don't Cry," which has an excellent accordion part (and is my favorite Fruvous song anyway). Jeremy Owen: >It's good someone mentiond Moxy Frovous... theyve got >some good stuff... and in addition to actually >covering "shoehorn with teeth" They covered it with DaVinci's Notebook, and the cover appears on DVN's first album. I don't know if Fruvous ever covered it by themselves or not, but a line from "The Statue Got Me High" does show up at the end of the recording of "BJ Don't Cry" on their Live Noise album. >their music is constantly mistaken for TMBG's on the net. Yeah, but so is the music of Barnes & Barnes and whoever did "I Am An Retarded." It seems like more songs get misattributed to TMBG and Weird Al than to anyone else. Incidentally, Weird Al and TMBG are the first artists I ever really got into, but I guess that's not really relevant. Nathan _________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail ------------------------------ From: "Justin McElroy" Subject: Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and misattribution Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 14:30:35 -0500 Message-ID: In a completely unrelated note, I'm going to leave your email up on my monitor for hours in the hopes that someone should happen by and see that I'm the type of person that recieves emails with the word "misattribution" in the subject line. Love, Justin >From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" >Reply-To: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" >To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org >Subject: Re: TMBG: Moxy Fruvous and misattribution >Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:50:26 +0000 > >jessie: >>At 02:50 PM 3/19/2003 +0000, C Hubley wrote: >>> However i don't ectually know of any bands apart from TMBG who use them >>>in a cool way (Not that there's anything wrong wiht folk, it's just not >>>what I'm looking for). If you could suggest some bands I could download >>>for this I would be eternally greatfull. >> >>Dead Milkmen - "Punk Rock Girl" >>Moxy Fruvous uses them in some songs, I can't tell you off the top of my >>head which. > >Quite a few, especially in their earlier songs. If you were going to >choose just one Fruvous song for the compilation, I would go with "BJ Don't >Cry," which has an excellent accordion part (and is my favorite Fruvous >song anyway). > >Jeremy Owen: >>It's good someone mentiond Moxy Frovous... theyve got >>some good stuff... and in addition to actually >>covering "shoehorn with teeth" > >They covered it with DaVinci's Notebook, and the cover appears on DVN's >first album. I don't know if Fruvous ever covered it by themselves or not, >but a line from "The Statue Got Me High" does show up at the end of the >recording of "BJ Don't Cry" on their Live Noise album. > >>their music is constantly mistaken for TMBG's on the net. > >Yeah, but so is the music of Barnes & Barnes and whoever did "I Am An >Retarded." It seems like more songs get misattributed to TMBG and Weird Al >than to anyone else. Incidentally, Weird Al and TMBG are the first artists >I ever really got into, but I guess that's not really relevant. > >Nathan > > >_________________________________________________________________ >The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* >http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail > _________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20030320205442.19882.qmail@web10404.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:54:42 -0800 (PST) From: Laura Field Subject: TMBG: bands.... here are some of my non-tmbg faves: Lowest of the Low The Doors Pink Floyd (yup, another tmbg/pf fan) XTC Bob Marley Led Zeplin AC/DC REM random others, (a song or two here and there........) there's my input.....oh, is anybody else planning on going to see tmbg in boston on april 5th? Laura * --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your desktop! [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] Here's some bands I've been listening to lately... some older, some newer: Weezer Bjork Ben Folds (w/ and w/out Five) Soul Coughing Beck Coldplay Pixies Wilco Matt Pond PA The Cardigans Bran Van 3000 Devo Jump Little Children The Cure The Walkmen The Strokes The Hives Beta Band Eels Ladytron The Sundays Hot Hot Heat I guess I'll stop there. To the person who asked about The Avalanches: I wouldn't recommend the rest of their album, although I think "Frontier Psychiatrist" is a great song! You must see the video... it makes the song 10 times better! -Jeffro From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Mar 20 23:06:36 2003 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.12.8/8.12.8) id h2L46agD089889 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:06:36 -0500 (EST) Received: from ohsmtp02.ogw.rr.com (ohsmtp02.ogw.rr.com [65.24.7.37]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.12.8/8.12.8) with ESMTP id h2L46ZKm089884 for ; Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:06:35 -0500 (EST) Received: from localhost (dhcp065-029-221-195.cinci.rr.com [65.29.221.195]) by ohsmtp02.ogw.rr.com (8.12.5/8.12.2) with ESMTP id h2L46YgO025102 for ; Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:06:35 -0500 (EST) Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:06:34 -0500 Subject: TMBG: Re: Accordions Rock Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v482) From: Sean Kinlin To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit In-Reply-To: <200303200704.h2K740G9063515@ussenterprise.ufp.org> Message-Id: <81489EB4-5B52-11D7-BCB5-00306599F1DA@cinci.rr.com> X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.482) Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: Sean Kinlin garrett27@juno.com wrote: > > As augiewan said, certainly The Pogues and Weird Al. In addition: > > Rufus Wainwright - occasionally uses > David Byrne (of Talking Heads) - occasionally uses > Aimee Mann (check Magnolia soundtrack) - occasionally uses > Yann Tiersen (composed soundtrack for Amelie) - uses almost all the time > Elakelaiset (Finnish band) - uses almost all the time > Oingo Boingo - occasionally uses > The Beatles - occasionally use And one musn't forget Those Darn Accordions! The band that has a drummer, a bass player, and a bunch of accordions! They're at www.thosedarnaccordions.com, and they're really fun! A mix of original songs and covers (you haven't lived until you've heard accordions play Baba O'Riley!) I saw them live for free when they played Oktoberfest here in Cincinnati this past fall. -Sean From owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Thu Mar 20 23:26:28 2003 Received: (from majordom@localhost) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.12.8/8.12.8) id h2L4QSqS090287 for tmbg-list-outgoing; Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:26:28 -0500 (EST) Received: from imo-d09.mx.aol.com (imo-d09.mx.aol.com [205.188.157.41]) by ussenterprise.ufp.org (8.12.8/8.12.8) with ESMTP id h2L4QSKm090279 for ; Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:26:28 -0500 (EST) Received: from CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com by imo-d09.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v34.21.) id i.1a0.1252e861 (4214) for ; Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:26:02 -0500 (EST) From: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com Message-ID: <1a0.1252e861.2babee5a@aol.com> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:26:02 EST Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music To: tmbg-list@tmbg.org MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="part1_1a0.1252e861.2babee5a_boundary" X-Mailer: 8.0 for Windows sub 230 Sender: owner-tmbg-list@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk Reply-To: CallMeDoctorWorm@aol.com --part1_1a0.1252e861.2babee5a_boundary Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit A few quick additions: Soul Coughing - awesome, awesome music. I think they opened for TMBG a few times Mike Doughty - or the former "M Doughty", the frontman from Soul Coughing. he collaborated with TMBG for Mr. Xcitement and Your Mom's Alright. Dig his solo stuff. It's awesome kinda folky cool stuff. Barenaked Ladies - a TMBG influenced band. check out their first album, "Gordon", and you'll be able to hear it. Barenaked Ladies use accordion in their songs a lot. I'm an accordoin/guitar player myself, and I like playing along with them. Also check out Long December by the Counting Crows. It's a great song with accordion. All my love, DRW --part1_1a0.1252e861.2babee5a_boundary Content-Type: text/html; charset="US-ASCII" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable A few quick additions:

Soul Coughing - awesome, awesome music. I think they opened for TMBG a few t= imes
Mike Doughty - or the former "M Doughty", the frontman from Soul Coughing. h= e collaborated with TMBG for Mr. Xcitement and Your Mom's Alright. Dig his s= olo stuff. It's awesome kinda folky cool stuff.
Barenaked Ladies - a TMBG influenced band. check out their first album, "Gor= don", and you'll be able to hear it.

Barenaked Ladies use accordion in their songs a lot. I'm an accordoin/guitar= player myself, and I like playing along with them. Also check out Long Dece= mber by the Counting Crows. It's a great song with accordion.

All my love,
DRW
--part1_1a0.1252e861.2babee5a_boundary-- ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #63-4 *****************************