Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #63-5 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 63, Number 5 Saturday, 22 March 2003 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music TMBG: accordion blues Re: TMBG: accordion blues Re: TMBG: Moxy Frnvous and misattribution Re: TMBG: Moxy Frnvous and misattribution Re: TMBG: Moxy Frnvous and misattribution Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:09:52 -0500 Subject: Re: TMBG: Accordian Rocks From: the hanged man Message-ID: on 3/19/03 9:50 AM, C Hubley brought forth the following from the ugyldig: > I have > therefore decided to make him an "Accordian Rocks" CD to prove that they are > cool. However i don't ectually know of any bands apart from TMBG who use > them in a cool way (Not that there's anything wrong wiht folk, it's just not > what I'm looking for). If you could suggest some bands I could download for > this I would be eternally greatfull. Jump, Little Children uses accordion on some songs. So does Dar Williams, particularly on her 3rd album. -- Matt Brown (hangdman@cc.gatech.edu) cs1321 Head TA Ga Tech PST Undergrad Philosophical Society Chairman http://thm.askee.net Society of Physics Students Member "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of the passions." - David Hume ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:11:27 -0500 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music From: the hanged man Message-ID: on 3/19/03 11:40 AM, augiewan brought forth the following from the ugyldig: > Dan Bern - Never heard of em... :( Dan Bern is awesome. I just caught him Wednesday, playing with the IJBC. I hadn't heard much of his new stuff, which is a little more pop and a little less goofy, but still very good. -- Matt Brown (hangdman@cc.gatech.edu) cs1321 Head TA Ga Tech PST Undergrad Philosophical Society Chairman http://thm.askee.net Society of Physics Students Member "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of the passions." - David Hume ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:15:45 -0500 Subject: Re: Non-TMBG: Your Favorite Music From: the hanged man Message-ID: A few more things to add to the list: MC Chris - you know him as Hesh from Sealab 2021 Johnny Cash - his video for his cover of NIN's "Hurt" is awesome Simian - the have a cool song you can find called "La Breeze" -- Matt Brown (hangdman@cc.gatech.edu) cs1321 Head TA Ga Tech PST Undergrad Philosophical Society Chairman http://thm.askee.net Society of Physics Students Member "Reason is, and ought to be, the slave of the passions." - David Hume ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 10:15:45 -0500 From: GoodOmenz@aol.com Subject: TMBG: accordion blues Message-ID: <195904B4.104E95C5.024BC21A@aol.com> In a message dated 3/21/2003 2:04:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: > Rufus Wainwright - occasionally uses > > David Byrne (of Talking Heads) - occasionally uses > > Aimee Mann (check Magnolia soundtrack) - occasionally uses > > Yann Tiersen (composed soundtrack for Amelie) - uses > almost all the time > > Elakelaiset (Finnish band) - uses almost all the time > > Oingo Boingo - occasionally uses > > The Beatles - occasionally use good list! Have you heard any of Yann Tiersen's non-amelie stuff? i know that the soundtrack is a compilation of sorts, but ive also heard that he sounds a bit different usually... hmmm- anyway, accordion respect goes out to the almighty gogol bordello... www.gogolbordello.com... theyre on tour right now and i can't say enough good things about them, especially if you like the pogues (who also click accordion keys.) i think theres quite a bit of accordion on neutral milk hotel's classic "in the aeroplane over the sea" but maybe they just sing about them. i feel like im forgetting something. oh, graceland is ace! and right, theres always um, pearl jam's "bugs" (shudder) liz "I've got a passport, officer... " ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 15:26:38 +0000 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: accordion blues Ah yes, Elakelaiset. Great band and I think they may have more than one accordian player in the band. Difficult to get their stuff but worth it. Cheers Richard >>> 21/03/03 15:15:45 >>> In a message dated 3/21/2003 2:04:01 AM Eastern Standard Time, owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org writes: > Rufus Wainwright - occasionally uses > > David Byrne (of Talking Heads) - occasionally uses > > Aimee Mann (check Magnolia soundtrack) - occasionally uses > > Yann Tiersen (composed soundtrack for Amelie) - uses > almost all the time > > Elakelaiset (Finnish band) - uses almost all the time > > Oingo Boingo - occasionally uses > > The Beatles - occasionally use good list! Have you heard any of Yann Tiersen's non-amelie stuff? i know that the soundtrack is a compilation of sorts, but ive also heard that he sounds a bit different usually... hmmm- anyway, accordion respect goes out to the almighty gogol bordello... www.gogolbordello.com... theyre on tour right now and i can't say enough good things about them, especially if you like the pogues (who also click accordion keys.) i think theres quite a bit of accordion on neutral milk hotel's classic "in the aeroplane over the sea" but maybe they just sing about them. i feel like im forgetting something. oh, graceland is ace! and right, theres always um, pearl jam's "bugs" (shudder) liz "I've got a passport, officer... " ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:12:21 +0000 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: Moxy Frnvous and misattribution By the way what ever happened to Moxy Fruvous? Have they officially broken up? Richard >>> "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" 20/03/03 17:50:26 >>> jessie: >At 02:50 PM 3/19/2003 +0000, C Hubley wrote: >> However i don't ectually know of any bands apart from TMBG who use them >>in a cool way (Not that there's anything wrong wiht folk, it's just not >>what I'm looking for). If you could suggest some bands I could download >>for this I would be eternally greatfull. > >Dead Milkmen - "Punk Rock Girl" >Moxy Fruvous uses them in some songs, I can't tell you off the top of my >head which. Quite a few, especially in their earlier songs. If you were going to choose just one Frnvous song for the compilation, I would go with "BJ Don't Cry," which has an excellent accordion part (and is my favorite Frnvous song anyway). Jeremy Owen: >It's good someone mentiond Moxy Frovous... theyve got >some good stuff... and in addition to actually >covering "shoehorn with teeth" They covered it with DaVinci's Notebook, and the cover appears on DVN's first album. I don't know if Frnvous ever covered it by themselves or not, but a line from "The Statue Got Me High" does show up at the end of the recording of "BJ Don't Cry" on their Live Noise album. >their music is constantly mistaken for TMBG's on the net. Yeah, but so is the music of Barnes & Barnes and whoever did "I Am An Retarded." It seems like more songs get misattributed to TMBG and Weird Al than to anyone else. Incidentally, Weird Al and TMBG are the first artists I ever really got into, but I guess that's not really relevant. Nathan _________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005a01c2efc6$a91676e0$2d3091d0@consolidate.internal.maxweb.com> From: "Colleen McClanahan" Subject: Re: TMBG: Moxy Frnvous and misattribution Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 11:26:43 -0500 | By the way what ever happened to Moxy Fruvous? Have they officially broken up? | Richard They're officially "on hiatus". Currently, their drummer, Jian, has a show on the CBC called >play ( http://www.cbc.ca/play/ ). The bassist, Murray Foster, is touring with Great Big Sea ( http://www.greatbigsea.com ). Dave Matheson released a solo album. I have no idea what Mike Ford's doing. Last I heard it was something to do with children and folk music. I hope they get back together. I miss Fruvous shows. :( Colleen Anne ------------------------------ Message-Id: <5.2.0.9.0.20030321163450.00b1d9f0@pop.runbox.com> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:37:18 -0500 From: jessie Subject: Re: TMBG: Moxy Frnvous and misattribution At 04:12 PM 3/21/2003 +0000, Richard Hilton wrote: >By the way what ever happened to Moxy Fruvous? Have they officially broken up? >Richard well, I think they're officially on a touring "hiatus"....but that's been going on for about, what? 2 years? 3? and they haven't recording any new material since, either... I saw a Jian solo show last february and he said that they should be touring again this summer (2003) or fall.... but I think he's just overly optimistic. I've never seen Moxy Fruvous live...and it looks like I never will. :( ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #63-5 *****************************