Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #65-23 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 65, Number 23 Friday, 29 August 2003 Today's Topics: TMBG: Re: Re: Re: My Man... Gently down the stream.... RE: TMBG: Re: Re: Re: My Man... Gently down the stream.... Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Olaf" Subject: TMBG: Re: Re: Re: My Man... Gently down the stream.... Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:41:46 -0700 Message-ID: <000101c36dd7$16f05030$ebf02f04@olafp0d413sb8n> Hi TMBG-erinos! > I do agree with Olaf, Woohoo! > it is one of JL depressed mood songs > like Self Called Nowhere, Hopeless Bleak Despair, and > Montana. Which I all like a lot! Yeah, don't get me wrong. Those are some of my favorite songs of his too. I know just how he feels. Those songs speak to me more than any of the other types I think. I wonder if we could pull a Linneas and break the Johns' songs into Class/Genus/Species? > I am not sure if the concerns on > the songs on MC as not being polished are as much the issue > as the song selection. I think if they would have taken some > of the best songs from They Got Lost and combine them with > the best from MC, IMHO, it would be one of their all-time > best albums. Well, the only qualifying tracks I can think of on the disc are Dr. Worm, an excellent though very strange piece, and The original (*Better) First Kiss, and it'd be odd to have two both on one disc. What others would fit? Or did you mean do a disk that's half old stuff half new or something? I personally think Mink Car is quite good, I've recommended it to a bunch of people who used to listen to TMBG but got lost along the way. They think it's an excellent album. I think this disk is the Johns' way of recapturing some of the sound that made them commercial in the first place. Many other bands have eroded into the classic TMBG sound (I'm looking at you, Weezer) and TMBG had grown away from it on JH and especially FS. I think for the mainstream listener, this is almost a return to form. I think most mainstream listeners could have done without Fang or Mr. X, but it's still a disc that mostly satisfies for the casual listener. If anything, I'd say it could be considerably shorter omitting those two and switching around the track order if they were really going for that casual crowd. And some of the songs are overly simple, and feel very skippable after a few listens, at least for me. I'm thinking of Bangs, which grew stale on about listen 3 and MISLIH, which only went about 10. I'm not even going to mention Older. Or the fact that they lengthened it. Oy. Anyway, this rambling paragraph is mostly just to say that I think it's a pretty decent album, for the market they were aiming at. It is more adult, it is more mainstream (mostly), and it definitely hits closer to the old sound than they have in years. If I hadn't loaned it to someone who just had a kid (I can't say "Hey, nice Baby! Can I have my CD back?") I'd be listening to it right now. Oh, and for anyone who got pissed off by the Fountains of Wayne discussion earlier this summer, I must admit the CD's grown on me, and it's in my CD player right now. Sorry 'bout all the vitriol, it's a good disk, you all should go pick it up. And While I'm recommending, Sondre Lerche is a Norwegian kid with an amazing sense of Melody, you should check out his disc, Faces Down. -Rabidium -Olaf (I'm in transition, like you remember when GTE became Verizon, or when California became Hell?) ------------------------------ Message-ID: <244640-22003852931334103@M2W064.mail2web.com> From: "selfcallednowhere@houston.rr.com" Subject: RE: TMBG: Re: Re: Re: My Man... Gently down the stream.... Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 23:13:34 -0400 > Well, the only qualifying tracks I can think of on the disc are Dr. > Worm, an excellent though very strange piece, and The original (*Better) > First Kiss I think you're confusing They Got Lost with Severe Tire Damage. --Quinn * -------------------------------------------------------------------- mail2web - Check your email from the web at http://mail2web.com/ . ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #65-23 ******************************