Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #65-7 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 65, Number 7 Friday, 13 June 2003 Today's Topics: RE: Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday, Linnell RE: Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday, Linnell RE: Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday, Linnell TMBG: alternatives to twistid.com, recent gigs TMBG: A damn good song Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Olaf" Subject: RE: Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday, Linnell Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 23:30:15 -0700 Message-ID: <000001c330ac$16137d30$a4fb2f04@olafp0d413sb8n> >RE: Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday, Linnell Wait, so John Flansburgh is dead? Oh, sorry Wrong month! Hey, so where are they? Damn Good Times is terrific, is it part of a larger project? Anyone know? We got spoiled by all those years where there was news and new music all the time. Now without any info, we don't have anything to talk about and endlessly speculate about. Does anyone have any good rumours or theories on the next album? Do you have a theory about what Damn Good Times is about? (Robin?) Any idea that John and John were John Doe fans? Anyone think the new Fountains of Wayne album is just more of the same and he should concentrate on producing TMBG? Anyone? Talk to me! I miss you folks! Ok, I'm out. -Olaf --------------------- www.Olafsdaydream.com --------------------- ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20030612082314.77682.qmail@web41810.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 01:23:14 -0700 (PDT) From: Greg Brookens Subject: RE: Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday, Linnell i agree its been crazy quiet lately. is there any good place to get mp3s now that twistid is gone? i dearly want to hear au contraire or any other new dial a songs i may have missed. that dexter's lab song was very blaah, but the new stuff on the news site is great. Are they in the studio for a new album yet? dont tell me it's going to be another four years! __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Calendar - Free online calendar with sync to Outlook(TM). http://calendar.yahoo.com ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: RE: Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday, Linnell Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:55:07 +0000 Message-ID: Olaf: >Hey, so where are they? Damn Good Times is terrific, is it part of a >larger project? Anyone know? I don't. It's called a "mystery track" on the website, though, so it's probably for something larger. Or it's possible that the Johns just want to seem mysterious. >We got spoiled by all those years where >there was news and new music all the time. Now without any info, we >don't have anything to talk about and endlessly speculate about. Does >anyone have any good rumours or theories on the next album? Well, I'm hoping for Thunderbird and Au Contraire, but it's probably going to be mostly stuff we haven't heard yet. I'm still holding out hope for them to do something else with the Battle of the Bands stuff, as well. >Do you have >a theory about what Damn Good Times is about? Um...a girl who's a natural dancer? It sounds to me like a song that can be taken at face value. If they ever reveal the "mystery" behind it, though, it could turn out that I'm wrong. >Any idea that John and John were John Doe fans? Who's John Doe? >Anyone think the new Fountains of >Wayne album is just more of the same and he should concentrate on >producing TMBG? Well, considering the fact that a lot of people here seem to hate the tracks that Adam Schlesinger (Schlessinger?) produced, you probably won't get much agreement on that. Nathan _________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail ------------------------------ From: "Jennifer Russell-Fenus" Subject: TMBG: alternatives to twistid.com, recent gigs Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 21:17:58 -0600 Message-ID: I have been lurking for the last month or so, but it isn't for a lack of having nothing to say. I just have been super busy on top of the fact that I have just moved and only had internet access at home for less than a week. So now I am going to blab for longer than I need to (but that will be a good thing, since there hasn't been a lot of posts lately) Now that twistid.com is gone, I have checked into other options. I just found "Trucker's Coffee" from DAS on kazaa.com. Just remember to put the search as TMBG not They Might Be Giants. It didn't come up when I did that. If you can't find it on your first try, keep checking back often. People come & go with different songs all the time. Be warned though-a lot of times you will find songs that are listed as TMBG but are not, such as 88 Lines About 44 Women, Puttin' On The Ritz, and Spiderman. It also has Istanbul listed as being done by R.E.M. (I love R.E.M., but as far as I know, they never covered that song). I found Monsters Of Mud and A Shooting Star Is Not A Star on there a few months ago. Courage The Cowardly Dog and something called Skatellite Transmission was also on there today-the latter samples Sesame Street in the middle of it too. It sounded TMBG-esque, but I don't know if it really is or not. Can anyone confirm? Speaking of Sesame Street though, when I was at the meet & greet between Princeton gigs a few weeks ago, I had to ask if Sesame Street has ever approached them to do a musical educational piece on the show. Flansy just commented that even though they have done stuff for PBS in the past, Sesame Street tends to use more mainstream bands, and it seems to me that even though they enjoy the success they have, I think they would rather be a true indie band without all the hype that mainstream success brings. I sort of came to this conclusion when I had them sign my Malcolm In The Middle/Boss of Me single CD (along with a mega stack of all the other CD inserts I wanted signed). Flansy drew a big black X across Frankie Muniz' forehead and autographed it "Charles Manson". I am glad that I made it to both Princeton gigs. I had never been to Princeton before, and it is a very beautiful place. I managed to get an almost free trip through work by attending a work-related course that happened to be that same week (Clever huh). I had a blast, though I will have to say that even a bunch of college kids at Princeton during the Rock Show were a little bit...reserved, compared to all the TMBG gigs in Utah that I have attended. They are downright wild compared to the Princeton shows.(At least the have been-can't speak for shows that haven't happened yet) I didn't think the crowd in Utah would be more participatory, but I guess everybody has to be wrong sometimes! However, I should have guessed when stupid people in Utah decide to start a mosh piton the 10th row at Howard Jones, The Ocean Blue, and Mannheim Steamroller concerts! I guess they have nothing better to do but be asses and create a commotion. Anyway, I got set lists for both the kid's show and the rock show. I even got to experience "Spin The Dial" in person. They have never done that in SLC (though every SLC show except 1 had a conga line going-that was the show the did in a big stadium for the 4th of July and were an opening act for a Beatles cover band and Chicago. It was really weird because they had just come FROM Chicago to open FRO Chicago. I don't really like Chicago-they are a little to much on the sappy side for me). I can guarantee that eveing radio in SLC has way more variety than Princeton! Flansy will definitely be able to find a rock station here, unlike Princeton, who apparently all that night could only play disco and bad talk shows. (So if you guys are reading this, do Spin The Dial in SLC!) I am excited for the SLC gig on 23 July. It is an outdoor gig in a botanical garden-very cool venue! Anyone thinking about coming out should-it is well worth the trip! Plus for those that don't know, 24 July is state holiday (Pioneer Day) and there is a BIG parade and all sorts of activities all day long. A great excuse not to have to work. It is almost as interesting as the Easter Parade in NYC. Feel free to email me if you need/want info or advice! _________________________________________________________________ MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus ------------------------------ Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 00:19:37 -0400 From: "Matthew W. Miller" Subject: TMBG: A damn good song Message-ID: <20030613041937.GA31600@columbus.rr.com> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 07:55:07PM +0000, Nathan Mulac DeHoff wrote: >Olaf: >>Hey, so where are they? Damn Good Times is terrific, is it part of a >>larger project? Anyone know? >I don't. It's called a "mystery track" on the website, though, so it's >probably for something larger. Or it's possible that the Johns just >want to seem mysterious. Am I the only one who thinks the chorus line "damn good times" is reminiscent of Lenny Kravitz's "Let Love Rule"? Of course, *that* song seems reminiscent of late-1960s peace-love-and-understanding pop music in a vague sort of way, so it's possible that John is just feeding off of that vibe. -- Matthew W. Miller "Yay, more drama again! I love the furry fandom!" --Devin ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #65-7 *****************************