Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #65-8 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 65, Number 8 Saturday, 14 June 2003 Today's Topics: RE: Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday, Linnell RE: Subject: TMBG: Previewing songs online TMBG: Off topic: New FoW album. Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- From: "Olaf" Subject: RE: Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday, Linnell Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 00:35:54 -0700 Message-ID: <000101c3317e$6c586ac0$a4fb2f04@olafp0d413sb8n> >It's called a "mystery track" on the website, though, so it's probably for something >larger. Or it's possible that the Johns just want to seem mysterious. Yeah, that could just be it. It doesn't seem like their MO though. I think they may have gotten a backlash from fans and especially critics for releasing a lot of songs online which weren't of commercial quality, even though that's explicitly what they said they were doing. There was a time when they were very into the open online experience, but that hasn't really been the case lately, and that may be as a direct result of Mink Car. Many of the tracks on the album had already been heard, which caused a certain feeling of 'been there, done that' with some fans. Don't tell me you've never skipped 'Older'. Anyway, I have the feeling they want to keep the next album's songs under wraps until it releases or just before. That's what I'd do. It would make the most sense from a marketing standpoint, especially since they have nothing to gain financially by releasing them now. But maybe I'm reading a lot into the whole thing because I have absolutely nothing else to talk about... >Well, I'm hoping for Thunderbird and Au Contraire, but it's probably going to be >mostly stuff we haven't heard yet. I'm still holding out hope for them to do >something else with the Battle of the Bands stuff, as well. Yeah, I wouldn't really care to hear any of the songs I know on the next album. AC and Thunderbird would feel like remnants of mink car to me, and wouldn't really fit in a new album, assuming they are as interested in changing up the sound again. >>Any idea that John and John were John Doe fans? >Who's John Doe? It was a fox TV show from this season that's referenced in the song, the guy with amnesia "who got off of the island on a helicopter" the worst written-part of the song especially considering he took a ferry off of the island. (I'm only pretty sure about that, I didn't watch the show very much. It wasn't very good. I'd be surprised to see it back next season.) --- >> Am I the only one who thinks the chorus line "damn good times" is reminiscent of >> Lenny Kravitz's "Let Love Rule"? I don't hear that. Not more than any other three word chorus. But there's basically nothing that Lenny Kravitz has done that isn't a rip-off of something else. Anyway, there's only twelve notes total, you're going to run into some similarity in almost any two pop songs... Bye for now. -Olaf ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: RE: Subject: TMBG: Previewing songs online Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:56:07 +0000 Message-ID: Jennifer: >Courage The Cowardly Dog and something called Skatellite Transmission was >also on there today-the latter samples Sesame Street in the middle of it >too. It sounded TMBG-esque, but I don't know if it really is or not. Can >anyone confirm? Skatellite Transmission was one of the instrumentals they did for Malcolm in the Middle. >I think they may have gotten a backlash from fans and especially critics >for releasing a lot of songs online which weren't of commercial quality, >even though that's explicitly what they said they were doing. I know fans have done that, but what critics have? >There was >a time when they were very into the open online experience, but that >hasn't really been the case lately, and that may be as a direct result >of Mink Car. Many of the tracks on the album had already been heard, >which caused a certain feeling of 'been there, done that' with some >fans. Well, there's a big difference between selling songs online (as with Long Tall Weekend and Unlimited) and just giving them away for free (as they do on the website). I agree that they put way too much of Mink Car (not to mention No!) on Unlimited, and I'm still not sure why. Did they turn out not have as much rare material as they originally wanted to include, or did they honestly think subscribers WANTED to get all of those songs twice? >Don't tell me you've never skipped 'Older'. I'm really not sure why they put that on Mink Car at all, considering that it had already been on both LTW and the Malcolm soundtrack, and the Johns had admitted that it was a song that didn't work that well in the studio. > >Well, I'm hoping for Thunderbird and Au Contraire, but it's probably >going to be > >mostly stuff we haven't heard yet. I'm still holding out hope for them >to do > >something else with the Battle of the Bands stuff, as well. > >Yeah, I wouldn't really care to hear any of the songs I know on the next >album. AC and Thunderbird would feel like remnants of mink car to me, >and wouldn't really fit in a new album, assuming they are as interested >in changing up the sound again. I don't really see how Thunderbird and Au Contraire sound much like anything on Mink Car, any more than they sound like anything on any of the other albums. Besides, I don't think it's fair to say these songs won't fit in with a new album when no one has any idea what else will be on it. Nathan _________________________________________________________________ The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail ------------------------------ Message-ID: <3EEA335B.5050601@sigecom.net> Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 15:26:03 -0500 From: Russ Woods Subject: TMBG: Off topic: New FoW album. > > >> Anyone think the new Fountains of >> Wayne album is just more of the same and he should concentrate on >> producing TMBG? > > Are you serious? The new album is anything but more of the same. I mean, they actually tried styles on this album other than power pop. They've even got a country song on there! Sure, if you didn't like the album, that's fine, but I don't think anyone can call it "more of the same." ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #65-8 *****************************