Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #65-9 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 65, Number 9 Sunday, 15 June 2003 Today's Topics: Re: Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday, Linnell TMBG: remove Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:03:06 -0400 Subject: Re: Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday, Linnell From: the hanged man Message-ID: on 6/13/03 3:35 AM, Olaf brought forth the following from the ugyldig: > AC and Thunderbird would feel like remnants of mink car to me, > and wouldn't really fit in a new album, I've never much felt like Thunderbird fit in anywhere, which is probably why it hasn't been on any albums. I would love to hear an album that had the feel that Thunderbird, Sensurround, and Ondine fit well in, even if none of those songs were on it. I don't think any of them fit in with any of the albums. Mink Car is the least coherent album, if you ask me (and I seem to like it better than a lot of folks on the list), so I can see where you might think it fit in there. -- Matt Brown (thehangedman@askee.net) http://thm.askee.net Former CS1321 Head TA http://thm.askee.net/webpages.html Philosophy, Web Design, Tutoring http://thm.askee.net/tutor.html ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20030615020805.90225.qmail@web41113.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 19:08:05 -0700 (PDT) From: Joe Maida Subject: TMBG: remove --- owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org wrote: > > tmbg-list Digest, Volume 65, Number 8 > > Saturday, 14 June 2003 > > Today's Topics: > > RE: Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday, Linnell > RE: Subject: TMBG: Previewing songs online > TMBG: Off topic: New FoW album. > > Administrivia: > > If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send > mail to > tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on > how to be > automatically removed. > > * --------------------------------------------------------------------- > The views expressed herein are those of the > individual authors. > * --------------------------------------------------------------------- > > tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph > ). > > * ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > > From: "Olaf" > Subject: RE: Subject: TMBG: Happy Birthday, Linnell > Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 00:35:54 -0700 > Message-ID: > <000101c3317e$6c586ac0$a4fb2f04@olafp0d413sb8n> > > >It's called a "mystery track" on the website, > though, so it's probably > for something > >larger. Or it's possible that the Johns just want > to seem mysterious. > > Yeah, that could just be it. It doesn't seem like > their MO though. I > think they may have gotten a backlash from fans and > especially critics > for releasing a lot of songs online which weren't of > commercial quality, > even though that's explicitly what they said they > were doing. There was > a time when they were very into the open online > experience, but that > hasn't really been the case lately, and that may be > as a direct result > of Mink Car. Many of the tracks on the album had > already been heard, > which caused a certain feeling of 'been there, done > that' with some > fans. Don't tell me you've never skipped 'Older'. > > Anyway, I have the feeling they want to keep the > next album's songs > under wraps until it releases or just before. That's > what I'd do. It > would make the most sense from a marketing > standpoint, especially since > they have nothing to gain financially by releasing > them now. But maybe > I'm reading a lot into the whole thing because I > have absolutely nothing > else to talk about... > > >Well, I'm hoping for Thunderbird and Au Contraire, > but it's probably > going to be > >mostly stuff we haven't heard yet. I'm still > holding out hope for them > to do > >something else with the Battle of the Bands stuff, > as well. > > Yeah, I wouldn't really care to hear any of the > songs I know on the next > album. AC and Thunderbird would feel like remnants > of mink car to me, > and wouldn't really fit in a new album, assuming > they are as interested > in changing up the sound again. > > >>Any idea that John and John were John Doe fans? > >Who's John Doe? > > It was a fox TV show from this season that's > referenced in the song, the > guy with amnesia "who got off of the island on a > helicopter" the worst > written-part of the song especially considering he > took a ferry off of > the island. (I'm only pretty sure about that, I > didn't watch the show > very much. It wasn't very good. I'd be surprised to > see it back next > season.) > > --- > >> Am I the only one who thinks the chorus line > "damn good times" is > reminiscent of > >> Lenny Kravitz's "Let Love Rule"? > > I don't hear that. Not more than any other three > word chorus. But > there's basically nothing that Lenny Kravitz has > done that isn't a > rip-off of something else. Anyway, there's only > twelve notes total, > you're going to run into some similarity in almost > any two pop songs... > > Bye for now. > -Olaf > > ------------------------------ > > From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" > Subject: RE: Subject: TMBG: Previewing songs online > Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:56:07 +0000 > Message-ID: > > > Jennifer: > >Courage The Cowardly Dog and something called > Skatellite Transmission was > >also on there today-the latter samples Sesame > Street in the middle of it > >too. It sounded TMBG-esque, but I don't know if it > really is or not. Can > >anyone confirm? > > Skatellite Transmission was one of the instrumentals > they did for Malcolm in > the Middle. > > >I think they may have gotten a backlash from fans > and especially critics > >for releasing a lot of songs online which weren't > of commercial quality, > >even though that's explicitly what they said they > were doing. > > I know fans have done that, but what critics have? > > >There was > >a time when they were very into the open online > experience, but that > >hasn't really been the case lately, and that may be > as a direct result > >of Mink Car. Many of the tracks on the album had > already been heard, > >which caused a certain feeling of 'been there, done > that' with some > >fans. > > Well, there's a big difference between selling songs > online (as with Long > Tall Weekend and Unlimited) and just giving them > away for free (as they do > on the website). I agree that they put way too much > of Mink Car (not to > mention No!) on Unlimited, and I'm still not sure > why. Did they turn out > not have as much rare material as they originally > wanted to include, or did > they honestly think subscribers WANTED to get all of > those songs twice? > > >Don't tell me you've never skipped 'Older'. > > I'm really not sure why they put that on Mink Car at > all, considering that > it had already been on both LTW and the Malcolm > soundtrack, and the Johns > had admitted that it was a song that didn't work > that well in the studio. > > > >Well, I'm hoping for Thunderbird and Au > Contraire, but it's probably > >going to be > > >mostly stuff we haven't heard yet. I'm still > holding out hope for them > >to do > > >something else with the Battle of the Bands > stuff, as well. > > > >Yeah, I wouldn't really care to hear any of the > songs I know on the next > >album. AC and Thunderbird would feel like remnants > of mink car to me, > >and wouldn't really fit in a new album, assuming > they are as interested > >in changing up the sound again. > > === message truncated === __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? SBC Yahoo! DSL - Now only $29.95 per month! http://sbc.yahoo.com ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #65-9 *****************************