Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #65-20 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 65, Number 20 Thursday, 22 July 2004 Today's Topics: Re: TMBG: My take on The Spine Re: TMBG: My take on The Spine Re: TMBG: My take on The Spine Re: TMBG: My take on The Spine Re: TMBG: My take on The Spine Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:12:18 -0600 From: Chris Nuccitelli Subject: Re: TMBG: My take on The Spine Finally got my CDs yesterday. So much for pre-ordering "direct from the band". They should've at least made the mp3's available to people who pre-ordered to tide them over until the physical product arrived. Random notes: "Thunderbird" still rocks quite a bit. I was worried after reading everyone's comments about it, but it's still fun. A lot of their songs' live energy seems to be sucked dry when it's put onto CD. (I'm thinking of "Older" and "Working Undercover For The Man" specifically.) Odd, that. The "leftover flute" in "Au Contraire" bugs me as well, but I don't think it's worthy of a recall. I wouldn't turn down a "fixed" version, though. Every time I hear "Experimental Film" now I see the Homestar Runner characters bouncing around. Yay for the persistent effects of video. "Wearing A Raincoat" is really weird in a great way. The EP is extra weird. I'm surprised no one's mentioned the lack of an actual cover, just a printed out notice to email tmbgdot and ask for one when they're done. "Stalk Of Wheat" annoys me. I don't know why. Guess that's it. Enjoy your spine. Chris www.slothradio.com ----- Original Message ----- From: john m Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 00:16:26 -0400 Subject: RE: TMBG: My take on The Spine To: kaylum@aol.com, tmbg-list@tmbg.org Eh, I don't really agree. It makes the track sound amateurish and ruins the otherwise great feeling of the song. It -really- bothers me. Anyway, The Spine is very good, yes. Still haven't heard The Spine Surfs Alone, because I still haven't received my pre-order. When are those coming? - john m In a message dated 7/19/2004 8:48:39 PM Eastern Standard Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: Actually, quite a few people mentioned it on the newsgroup. I don't know whether or not it was intentional, but I agree it was sloppy either way. On the other hand, I certainly don't think it's a big enough mistake for the CD to be recalled. It's very minor. I agree, it's VERY minor...people need to get over it! Kay --- Incoming mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.719 / Virus Database: 475 - Release Date: 7/12/2004 --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.719 / Virus Database: 475 - Release Date: 7/12/2004 ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 17:35:06 -0600 From: Chris Nuccitelli Subject: Re: TMBG: My take on The Spine A couple more thoughts: The vocal intonation and effects on "Bastard Wants To Hit Me" are very similar to Pet Shop Boys' "London". "It's Kickin' In" is *totally* Elvis Costello. The "of ideas....of ideas....of ideas...." thing at the end of "Stalk Of Wheat" really reminds me of an earlier TMBG song, but I can't think of which one in particular..... On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:12:18 -0600, Chris Nuccitelli wrote: > Finally got my CDs yesterday. So much for pre-ordering "direct from > the band". They should've at least made the mp3's available to people > who pre-ordered to tide them over until the physical product arrived. > > Random notes: > > "Thunderbird" still rocks quite a bit. I was worried after reading > everyone's comments about it, but it's still fun. A lot of their > songs' live energy seems to be sucked dry when it's put onto CD. (I'm > thinking of "Older" and "Working Undercover For The Man" > specifically.) Odd, that. > > The "leftover flute" in "Au Contraire" bugs me as well, but I don't > think it's worthy of a recall. I wouldn't turn down a "fixed" > version, though. > > Every time I hear "Experimental Film" now I see the Homestar Runner > characters bouncing around. Yay for the persistent effects of video. > > "Wearing A Raincoat" is really weird in a great way. > > The EP is extra weird. I'm surprised no one's mentioned the lack of > an actual cover, just a printed out notice to email tmbgdot and ask > for one when they're done. > > "Stalk Of Wheat" annoys me. I don't know why. > > Guess that's it. Enjoy your spine. > Chris > www.slothradio.com > > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: john m > Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 00:16:26 -0400 > Subject: RE: TMBG: My take on The Spine > To: kaylum@aol.com, tmbg-list@tmbg.org > > Eh, I don't really agree. It makes the track sound > amateurish and ruins the otherwise great feeling of the song. It -really- > bothers me. > > Anyway, The Spine is very good, yes. Still haven't heard The > Spine Surfs Alone, because I still haven't received my pre-order. When are > those coming? > > - john m > > In a message dated 7/19/2004 8:48:39 PM Eastern Standard > Time, xornom@hotmail.com writes: > > Actually, quite a few people mentioned it > on the newsgroup. I don't know > > whether or not it was intentional, but I agree it was sloppy either way. > On > > the other hand, I certainly don't think it's a big enough mistake for the CD > > to be recalled. It's very minor. > > I agree, it's VERY minor...people need to get over it! > > Kay > > --- > > Incoming mail is certified Virus Free. > > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > > Version: 6.0.719 / Virus Database: 475 - Release Date: 7/12/2004 > > --- > > Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. > > Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). > > Version: 6.0.719 / Virus Database: 475 - Release Date: 7/12/2004 > ------------------------------ From: "Nathan Mulac DeHoff" Subject: Re: TMBG: My take on The Spine Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:15:50 -0400 Message-ID: Chris Nuccitelli: >The "of ideas....of ideas....of ideas...." thing at the end of "Stalk >Of Wheat" really reminds me of an earlier TMBG song, but I can't think >of which one in particular..... Someone on the newsgroup said it reminded them of the "I'm insane" part in "Absolutely Bill's Mood." -- I'll still be right where you left me, if you manage to forget me, Nathan DinnerBell@tmbg.org http://members.aol.com/jinnicky/ _________________________________________________________________ Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20040722054745.28071.qmail@web41806.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 22:47:45 -0700 (PDT) From: Greg Brookens Subject: Re: TMBG: My take on The Spine i'm opening myself up for a stern talking to, but i downloaded the cd about a month ago and there's no flute screw up on the version i have of au contraire. (and YES i ordered the cd and paid for it plus the ep plus the Lincoln poster plus the live chicago show, so it's not like i'm not giving them any money) Also stalk of wheat is the best song on the album, close second is Its kickin in __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Mail - 50x more storage than other providers! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail ------------------------------ Message-ID: Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:52:53 -0600 From: Chris Nuccitelli Subject: Re: TMBG: My take on The Spine From www.tmbgnet.com: "To hear a secret message from tmbg, listen closely to the (fake words) section of "It's Kickin' In"... if you listen hard enough you can barely make out "... I can't understand your accent..." preceded by an inaudible phrase. This could possibly be a hidden easter egg." Anyone know what this is? I haven't even tried to listen for it yet. Also, has anyone purchased the live shows that are now available at the online store? Are they any good? I'm probably going to wait and see if/when the "best of the live shows" thing shows up..... ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #65-20 ******************************