Errors-To: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Reply-To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Sender: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Precedence: bulk From: owner-tmbg-digest@tmbg.org To: tmbg-digest@tmbg.org Subject: tmbg-list Digest #65-25 tmbg-list Digest, Volume 65, Number 25 Friday, 30 July 2004 Today's Topics: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Administrivia: If you wish to unsubscribe from this mailing send mail to tmbg-digest-request@tmbg.org for instructions on how to be automatically removed. --------------------------------------------------------------------- The views expressed herein are those of the individual authors. --------------------------------------------------------------------- tmbg-list is digested with Digest 3.5b (John Relph ). ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Message-ID: <410909A9.4010204@st.com> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:28:57 -0600 From: Russell JOSEPHSON Subject: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" I just visited the moveon.org web site to check out their fund-raising album, called "Future Soundtrack for America". They cost $25 each, and the whole amount is declared to be a political contribution to the MoveOn PAC. You must agree that: "This contribution does not exceed my personal contribution limit. (Contributions made directly to MoveOn PAC (and not earmarked to any candidate) are limited to $5,000 per individual per calendar year.)" Of course their page http://www.moveon.org/pac/news/future.html states: "get a copy today and help raise money to defeat George Bush" I'm a big fan of TMBG, but as a committed member of the Republican party, it would be anathema for me to support the MoveOn PAC, when their stated goal is to defeat George Bush. The only way I'll ever own a copy is if I get it secondhand. Which makes me wonder why Dan Hickey is no longer in the band. Is it possible that he declined to participate in one of the band's recent "political" projects that he disagreed with on idealogical grounds? Does anyone know why he was fired/quit ? P.S. (I'm not really trying to start an off-topic political thread--I know that most USA citizens have their mind made up already on _this_ issue.) ======================================================================== Russ Josephson http://www.geocities.com/russj_yah Berthoud, Colorado, USA They Might Be Giants Video: http://www.geocities.com/russj_yah/tmbg.htm "I took off the intellectuals, and put on There May Be Giants" -- Gloria "It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do" -- 2 Nephi 25:23 ======================================================================== ------------------------------ Message-ID: <410911BA.5040207@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:03:22 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Russell JOSEPHSON wrote: > I'm a big fan of TMBG, but as a committed member of the Republican party, > it would be anathema for me to support the MoveOn PAC, when their > stated goal is to defeat George Bush. The only way I'll ever own a > copy is if I get it secondhand. please do the world a favour and stay home on November 2. > Which makes me wonder why Dan Hickey is no longer in the band. > Is it possible that he declined to participate in one of the band's > recent "political" projects that he disagreed with on idealogical grounds? > Does anyone know why he was fired/quit ? I doubt it. He had an "Attack Iraq? NO!" sticker on his bass drum. I think he probably just felt it was a good time to move on to other things with the previous albums' tours winding down. and even while he toured with TMBG, he did other projects, I think. it's possible that he had conflicts while they were recording the new album, so they got Marty to do it, and who knows what kind of tension that may have created if it's the case. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <005c01c4757f$77835a90$6400a8c0@turtle> From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:19:35 -0400 Zaph: it's "favor". You're in the US. Stop posing. Here I thought this was a free country and people were entitled to their own political opinion! I'm not going to buy the CD either. Not because I OMG LOVEEE BUSH but because Moveon is a bunch of fuckers (and I was a member on the day of their inception, have done work for them, and can't get off their damn email lists, no matter how many times I try). I also don't think political contributions should be tied to the music I buy. That's not to say, "oh artists can't be political" or that they shouldn't spend the money made from CD sales (however pithy that is) to make contributions to whatever political organizations they want. That's their choice once it's their money. I don't, however, think it's fair that there is a really neat compliation out there that has some exclusive tracks on it, and that I have to give money directly to a PAC (which I think is a bunch of fuckers as I've previously stated) to get to hear it. I know that's what the purpose of political fundraisers are and that's cool. I reserve the right 1) not to like it and 2) not to buy the damn CD. That's what makes America great (tm). Differing opinions and the choice to buy music or not and give your money to political causes OR NOT. Russ wasn't trying to start an argument, and there wasn't any reason for one to be started. Live and let fucking live! That said however, I also doubt this has anything to do with the reason that Dan Hickey left the band. | Russell JOSEPHSON wrote: | | > I'm a big fan of TMBG, but as a committed member of the Republican party, | > it would be anathema for me to support the MoveOn PAC, when their | > stated goal is to defeat George Bush. The only way I'll ever own a | > copy is if I get it secondhand. | | please do the world a favour and stay home on November 2. | | > Which makes me wonder why Dan Hickey is no longer in the band. | > Is it possible that he declined to participate in one of the band's | > recent "political" projects that he disagreed with on idealogical grounds? | > Does anyone know why he was fired/quit ? | | I doubt it. He had an "Attack Iraq? NO!" sticker on his bass drum. I | think he probably just felt it was a good time to move on to other things | with the previous albums' tours winding down. | | and even while he toured with TMBG, he did other projects, I think. it's | possible that he had conflicts while they were recording the new album, so | they got Marty to do it, and who knows what kind of tension that may have | created if it's the case. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <410917A9.3080509@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:28:41 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Chrissy Rockwell wrote: > Zaph: it's "favor". You're in the US. Stop posing. not posing. I just hate US spelling. and starting your post with a spelling flame isn't likely to help your case. > Here I thought this was a free country and people were entitled to their own > political opinion! they are, but voting for Bush is just a dumb idea, and I'm very much entitled to say that. > Russ wasn't trying to start an argument, and there wasn't any reason for one > to be started. Live and let fucking live! oh, but there is. because if the argument is not started, people might keep on believing that Bush is great and wonderful and vote for him and completely doom us all. ------------------------------ Message-ID: <001201c47582$d87549a0$6400a8c0@turtle> From: "Chrissy Rockwell" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:43:48 -0400 | Chrissy Rockwell wrote: | > Zaph: it's "favor". You're in the US. Stop posing. | | not posing. I just hate US spelling. and starting your post with a | spelling flame isn't likely to help your case. It is posing. | > Here I thought this was a free country and people were entitled to their own | > political opinion! | | they are, but voting for Bush is just a dumb idea, and I'm very much | entitled to say that. Yes you are | > Russ wasn't trying to start an argument, and there wasn't any reason for one | > to be started. Live and let fucking live! | | oh, but there is. because if the argument is not started, people might keep | on believing that Bush is great and wonderful and vote for him and | completely doom us all. And where did he say anything implying that? You're smarter than this.. don't be a fucking idiot. ------------------------------ From: "John Ryan" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:49:24 -0400 Message-ID: Here we go, the list has become a flame war. Two issues you don't talk about with strangers: Religion and politics. _________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/ ------------------------------ Message-ID: <1091116484.41091dc4b5b0b@vuwebmail.vanderbilt.edu> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:54:44 -0500 From: "Thompson, Lucas Gardner" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Quoting John Ryan : > Here we go, the list has become a flame war. > > Two issues you don't talk about with strangers: Religion and politics. Listen buddy, I don't have to take that from you!!! -Lucas ------------------------------ Message-ID: <41091D5D.40303@fruhead.com> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:53:01 -0400 From: lawrence solomon Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" John Ryan wrote: > Here we go, the list has become a flame war. > > Two issues you don't talk about with strangers: Religion and politics. three: spelling variations. ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:03:13 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Never mind those 2; I always thought that your sex life and salary were the 2 things never to talk to strangers about! Richard >>> "John Ryan" 29/07/04 16:49:24 >>> Here we go, the list has become a flame war. Two issues you don't talk about with strangers: Religion and politics. _________________________________________________________________ Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/ ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 10:19:16 -0600 Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" From: Jamie Bronstein Message-Id: <094C003A-E17B-11D8-A962-000393AEE990@nmsu.edu> I think anyone who's a weenie enough to vote for Bush shouldn't be able to get a copy! Furthermore, I think anyone who is dumb enough to help Bush should stop listening to TMBG. They don't need fans who want to ruin the world. Go listen to the Best of John Ashcroft Singing Inspirational Hymns. That's about your speed. Jamie ------------------------------ From: "Justin McElroy" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 12:59:30 -0400 Message-ID: >From: Jamie Bronstein >I think anyone who's a weenie enough to vote for Bush shouldn't be able to >get a copy! Furthermore, I think anyone who is dumb enough to help Bush >should stop listening to TMBG. They don't need fans who want to ruin the >world. Go listen to the Best of John Ashcroft Singing Inspirational Hymns. >That's about your speed. > >Jamie Haha, this is what I like to see. Brooklyn's ambassadors of love bringing the people together. Sure, there's a part of me that wishes they'd done a disc for a somewhat more neutral cause, like, I don't know...poor kids...sick kids, you know, something we could all get behind. MoveOn is about as polarizing as causes get, I believe. But, you know, Flans feels strongly enough about the cause, then bully for him. He's using his talents to do what he percieves as good. Should we expect any less of any human, let alone an artist we all claim to enjoy so much. Could we please agree though that taking one side of an issue, or several issues, does not make you "dumb."? I can understand thinking that voting for Bush is a stupid move if you believe EVERYTHING that has been said about him, but all that betrays is a lack of understanding about the political process. I think standing up for a cause in these divided days is courageous, when supporting the wrong ideal can make huge groups cry out for your blood. It's bravery, no matter which side of the chasm you're on. If your sacrifice, if your attempt at standing up for a cause is to not buy a CD from one of your favorite artists, then go for it. At least you've risen above most of this generation to conquer apathy. Congratulations. Love you, Justin McElroy _________________________________________________________________ Overwhelmed by debt? Find out how to `Dig Yourself Out of Debt' from MSN Money. http://special.msn.com/money/0407debt.armx ------------------------------ Message-ID: <410941FE.9050505@post.cz> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:29:18 +0200 From: David Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Richard Hilton wrote: > Never mind those 2; I always thought that your sex life and salary were > the 2 things never to talk to strangers about! > > Richard Wouldn't that depend on how much of each you get? :) David in Sweden ------------------------------ Message-ID: <20040729183310.67445.qmail@web41806.mail.yahoo.com> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 11:33:10 -0700 (PDT) From: Greg Brookens Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" ooh ooh! lets talk about our sex lives and salaries! that sounds like a lot more fun than this crappy conversation. I make 11 bucks an hour and got laid last week!... with a real live girl! __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - 100MB free storage! http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail ------------------------------ Message-ID: <410946C2.8030505@post.cz> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:49:38 +0200 From: David Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" Greg Brookens wrote: > ooh ooh! lets talk about our sex lives and salaries! > that sounds like a lot more fun than this crappy > conversation. > I make 11 bucks an hour and got laid last week!... > with a real live girl! > > > Ok then, I make an average IT salary (for Sweden, so that may be a bit hard to explain), and my sex life is on par with yours. I am also married, so my luck last week was with my real live wife! David in Sweden ------------------------------ Message-Id: Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:01:10 +0100 From: "Richard Hilton" Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" No seriously. Enough; I don't want this thread to continue. I apologise for raising the issue! ('raise the issue'; Oh eers misses!). Stop it now! Richard >>> David 29/07/04 19:49:38 >>> Greg Brookens wrote: > ooh ooh! lets talk about our sex lives and salaries! > that sounds like a lot more fun than this crappy > conversation. > I make 11 bucks an hour and got laid last week!... > with a real live girl! > > > Ok then, I make an average IT salary (for Sweden, so that may be a bit hard to explain), and my sex life is on par with yours. I am also married, so my luck last week was with my real live wife! David in Sweden ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________________________ This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by Star Internet. The service is powered by MessageLabs. For more information on a proactive anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe, visit: http://www.star.net.uk ________________________________________________________________________ ------------------------------ From: Thressa66@aol.com Message-ID: <103.4b9ddff7.2e3ace50@aol.com> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:04:00 EDT Subject: Re: TMBG: "Future Soundtrack for America" It's not really a good idea to talk about it with Friends either.... Surest way to start an argument. That said... Don't let me stop the war boys. It could be an amusing pass-time for a day or so [Attachment omitted, unknown MIME type or encoding (text/html)] ------------------------------ End of tmbg-list Digest #65-25 ******************************